Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soul Surfer Movie Review from Nanny

pgk

Well with all do respect Nanny, I for one would wish you would stop the comparison or pointing out the fact that Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar for her first movie role. A true comparison can not be made since the movie JHud was in was a musical and based on a Broadway play. The size and importance of JHud's role in the movie and the size of Carrie's role are hardly the same and IMO shouldn't be judged the same and makes no sense to compare them. And I feel like its just a dig at Carrie's performance.

While I appreciate the effort of your review, I'm troubled by it at the same time. Why, if by your own accounts, Carrie's role isn't that large or pivotal is there so much time spent on it? Granted this is a Carrie site and we're all interested in her but I'm not interested in reading negative stuff over and over again. I guess I'm still stinging from the negative and quite vocal panning of Carrie's selection of Mama's Song as her fourth single on this site. Like it or not, since this panning was reported on various blog sites, I think this type of reaction from Carrie's fans may have and probably did have a negative impact on its chart run. I see the same type of thing happening with Carrie's role in this movie with this review.

Like I say I appreciate the effort of your review but it goes contrary to other reviews that I've read on twitter (I guess like Tee has seen) and heard from my own local christian radio station personalities. Theirs was a positive and glowing review of the movie and Carrie's performance. I guess to tie this review back to my comment about the panning of Mama's Song on this site, it bothers me to see the nitpicking that goes on here of every little thing that Carrie does. Do all fans sites do this with the other stars? Like it or not this site is looked at by both Carrie fans and critics alike. Critics and haters are going to look for any little thing they can find out about Carrie and many times blow it out of proportion and hey, what better headline can they get then supposed Carrie fans hate her new single choice or pan her first movie role, to add fuel to their fire that Carrie isn't all that great.

Is Carrie without her flaws and miscues? Nope, no person is! Is it productive or helpful to go on and on and on about the flaw or miscue, I don't think so. I try to live my life with a positive perspective and don't look to tear things down by overdoing the negative and nitpicking something to death. Guess I subscribe to the Dr. Phil factoid of life, it takes 1000 (that's one thousand) attaboys, or in Carrie's case, 1000 attagirls or positive comments to counteract just ONE negative comment. Do we learn from constructive criticism -- you bet we do. But say it once no sense piling on. Just hearing something once stings pretty bad!

I guess I have a question but I'm not sure anyone here can answer it but here goes -- how do we know that Carrie didn't nail her performance and how, in your opinion, she comes across on the screen isn't just exactly how the real life Sarah is?

Thanks for your review Nanny. Sorry this post turned into a book! Guess it just hit a nerve with me today and my fingers just got typing away!

I appreciate Nanny's review but it goes without saying that as objective as the review is (and I do believe Nanny was pretty objective) it is still affected by who we are, so I do believe that Nanny's review is how 'she' saw it.

The part underlined in the quote is something I was thinking about as well. I keep thinking that if Carrie displayed the wrong emotion for a particular scene the director would guide her in correcting it, so I'm wondering if the emotion Nanny saw as 'cold' someone else might label 'indifferent' or 'disappointment'? I believe the scene involved the main character telling Sarah that she wasn't participating in a particular project. Given the scene it may be exactly what the director wanted. I'm sure when many of us see the film we will each have our own different interpretations of what happens in the film and like Nanny we can only tell it like each one of us 'sees' it. And how we experience the occasion will be affected by who we are..it's the old, you say it's this and I say it's that....it's what makes life so interesting.

As for the comparisons, I don't know why these continue to occur...sometimes the comparisons are so dissimilar you wonder how the comparison could even be made...Carrie takes baby steps , others take giant steps , to each his own..I appreciate the fact that Carrie is very aware of her limitations and knows herself well enough to not bite off more than she can chew...That's one very smart cookie! If you examine Carrie's performance within the context of everything that is Carrie Underwood she probably did an excellent job in her first big screen acting role.

pkc4rls

I don't know if the director was just being nice but I do remember him saying how well she did and they could not believe she had not done any acting before so I admit I am a little confused but again, maybe he was being overly nice or maybe it is partially like Tee said, in that we fans can tend to be a tad overly picky where Carrie is concerned. Trust me, I have seen it on here with every single televised performance, LOL. I am not saying you did Nanny, but I have seen the evidence on here of fans picking apart every single performance and about things I or most anyone would not have noticed ever - like she had her eyes closed a little too much; or she was a little "stiff"; or her hair was a little stiff (LOL); or her hair was not long enough or was too long or was not straight enough; or her dress was way too short and/or revealing; or I think she took that one breath right there; or I think I might have heard this one little off note somewhere; and oh, the two famous ones: I think something was wrong with her mic or I think something was wrong with the sound in there; and it goes on and on, LOL. This is what I mean by some of we fans might be a little nitpicky (stealing Tee's word) about Carrie. But it was great to get a first hand review by a Carrie fan anyway and I don't want to discourage anyone from giving one so I do appreciate the review. And also, from what we heard about the part size, I figured Carrie would probably not have a big enough part in order to try and show improvement as it went along or in various other places if so small (if improvement was needed), which can sometimes hurt a person's overall impression. But I can't wait to see it in Apr and see what I think and to even see what people think that are not necessarily hard core fans - but also opinions of more fans too of course. Thanks a lot for your detailed review and your honest opinion as you saw it!!!!! And I really am not trying to get onto Nanny or anything because it is as one person said, her opinion as she saw it.

Last edited:

abbeyjones18

i just saw the new EW trailer, and Carrie is crying and showing TONS of emotion, so I think she did great, at least in that clip. How can those tears not be showing emotion? lol

'Soul Surfer' trailer: Big waves, a shark attack, and Carrie Underwood's movie debut -- EXCLUSIVE | Inside Movies | EW.com

I read that! And I left some comments...lol, I'm adj...lol! It looks great! By the way, even if Carrie was not in this movie, I would still go and see it (really...I mean it!!)! It is definitely one of those movies... :)

nannygirl

i just saw the new EW trailer, and Carrie is crying and showing TONS of emotion, so I think she did great, at least in that clip. How can those tears not be showing emotion? lol

'Soul Surfer' trailer: Big waves, a shark attack, and Carrie Underwood's movie debut -- EXCLUSIVE | Inside Movies | EW.com

Tee, that's the scene I said she did really well in! :D

I'm sorry I brought up Jennifer Hudson, but I am not apologizing for the review of Carrie's performance. I don't even think I was as negative about her as you guys are making it sound.

Kizmet311

I'm sorry I brought up Jennifer Hudson, but I am not apologizing for the review of Carrie's performance. I don't even think I was as negative about her as you guys are making it sound.

It's okay Nanny. You don't have to come on here and spout rainbows and sunshine about Carrie all the time. Nothing wrong with an honest review and opinion. There's nothing wrong with saying Carrie did fine for her first time acting, but that also doesn't mean that someone who acts for their career couldn't have come in and done better. Just like I wouldn't expect anyone but Carrie to sing her songs as well as she does or for any actor to sing as well as anyone who sings for a living. I'm not in the camp that feels we always have to be uplifting and non-judgmental and never have a critical opinion of Carrie.

HuiZ

No need to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. You watched the full movie, you have every right to your opinion. I'd rather you write an honest review than to hold back or just write about how amazing Carrie is to make everyone happy.

supercarriefan

You weren't negative...you were honest! I'm glad you wrote this review as objectively as possible (I know it's hard considering you are a big Carrie fan :)). As Stacey and Huiz stated, not everything written here about Carrie has to be about how wonderful she is at everything does. I think you did a lovely job summing up your thoughts on the movie and Carrie's performance.

teesharky

ok cool. Thanx. I figured that was the scene you mentioned. Glad they used that one to do the trailer, if it is her best moment. :)

I respect that you wrote an honest review, as I said before. Better you prepared us if the critics say negative things= assuming they agree with you, which they may not. Or they could be even meaner. lol

However, Carrie's overall performance is going to be very subjective. What you may see, could be vastly different from how we perceive Carrie's acting....but we may completely agree with you too. We will have to wait and see. :) I will write a review after I see it too, as I hope many others do too.

DaisyTweets

It's okay Nanny. You don't have to come on here and spout rainbows and sunshine about Carrie all the time. Nothing wrong with an honest review and opinion. There's nothing wrong with saying Carrie did fine for her first time acting, but that also doesn't mean that someone who acts for their career couldn't have come in and done better. Just like I wouldn't expect anyone but Carrie to sing her songs as well as she does or for any actor to sing as well as anyone who sings for a living. I'm not in the camp that feels we always have to be uplifting and non-judgmental and never have a critical opinion of Carrie.

Oh gosh I should probably let this go but somehow I feel this was pointed in my direction so I'd just like to clarify which camp I'm in. I never said that we always had to be uplifting and non-judgmental and never have a critical opinion of Carrie. Quite the contrary I believe that I said that we all benefit from constructive criticism -- Carrie included. What I did say or what I thought I said, was that I just don't like to see the constant nitpicking and piling on of the negative stuff. Carrie has enough haters and critics out in the general public that I would prefer to try and focus on the positive before I dwell on and analyze the negative.

So yeah, in my camp there's critical opinion and critical judgments of Carrie BUT its tempered with a much greater and larger dose of positive opinions and thoughts. And since I've never liked or found the value in beating something to death there's no nitpicking. Not everything one does has to be over analyzed. Life is too short for that kind of stuff. I guess I've always felt too that because Carrie has enough haters and critics out there that she needs a safe haven and a safe place where she can feel comfortable without being over criticized and picked apart to death. I thought that fan sites would be that place but apparently that's wrong. I guess I can now understand why Carrie only feels comfortable on her fan club.

A little PS: my comments aren't directed specifically to this review. In my prior post I was trying to convey that it was just a general feeling that it happens alot on this fan site that we see and read the nitpicking and negativity. This thread just sorta triggered my prior response.

pklongbeach

This just stood out to me for some reason. Not sure I agree. Plenty of times, the supporting characters are way better than the lead. examples are the fighter and dark knight. i think the reason there is a supporting category though is because there are way too many good actors, and just having one category wouldnt be fair.
becca T
I just meant that it is sometimes difficult for an actor with a small part to have the time to give a fully flushed out performance, and I think it is very good that they give an award for supporting characters for that reason.
But yes, very often a supporting character can sweep in and steal the show.
Thats often a really good actor!

Kizmet311

Oh gosh I should probably let this go but somehow I feel this was pointed in my direction so I'd just like to clarify which camp I'm in. I never said that we always had to be uplifting and non-judgmental and never have a critical opinion of Carrie. Quite the contrary I believe that I said that we all benefit from constructive criticism -- Carrie included. What I did say or what I thought I said, was that I just don't like to see the constant nitpicking and piling on of the negative stuff. Carrie has enough haters and critics out in the general public that I would prefer to try and focus on the positive before I dwell on and analyze the negative.

So yeah, in my camp there's critical opinion and critical judgments of Carrie BUT its tempered with a much greater and larger dose of positive opinions and thoughts. And since I've never liked or found the value in beating something to death there's no nitpicking. Not everything one does has to be over analyzed. Life is too short for that kind of stuff. I guess I've always felt too that because Carrie has enough haters and critics out there that she needs a safe haven and a safe place where she can feel comfortable without being over criticized and picked apart to death. I thought that fan sites would be that place but apparently that's wrong. I guess I can now understand why Carrie only feels comfortable on her fan club.

I don't feel that we should overanalyze or nitpick, but I didn't feel like that was what Nanny was doing. She was the first to see the movie and so she posted an honest, thoughtful opinion of it. I just felt your original post was out of place in this particular thread. And Carrie does have her fan club where people are a little more "PC" and don't have quite as spirited discussions as we do here, but that is why I like Carrie fans. We all love and support Carrie, but we can have honest and sometimes heated discussions. That's why I come here and not the fan club unless I want to ask Carrie something specifically or read her blog. Most of us are positive most of the time. What Nanny wrote was constructive and considering the context (Carrie branching out into acting) I didn't feel it was nitpicky or overly negative or critical. I know that it can happen on this board at times that people can take the negative too far, but I don't feel that was done here.

bigbluegrl23

haha you dont have to apologize, you didnt do anything wrong. and honestly, from the clip i saw i dont disagree with you. carrie was not bad AT ALL! but you can tell its her first serious role. this is not a negative thing, just honest. she still looks so gosh darn cute tho lol. and the movie as a whole looks awesome
becca T

blondemama

Nannygirl, I don't think you should have to apologize for just being honest in your review. I am jealous that you have already got to see it , but we all have opinions that will difer from time to time and we should respect those opinions so cudos to you for this review.

jeff

just another fan
the most important question for me is, is there a beach scene of Carrie wearing beach attire? :cool:

Mirasa45A

Thank you, nannygirl, for giving us an honest review. Just like Elvis Presley, even though I love Elvis, I must say that he was NOT a good actor ! :):)

rosie08

Thank you Nanny I wish I could see it now but I guess I will wait till apr 8th. have you ever thought of becoming a movie critic? you are awesome at it?

teesharky

Nanny-- did they use any Carrie music in the movie? What kind of music was playing in the score, or background? They used Katy Perry's fireworks for the trailer, so I wondered if they used it in the movie? thanx.

teesharky

Thank you, nannygirl, for giving us an honest review. Just like Elvis Presley, even though I love Elvis, I must say that he was NOT a good actor ! :):)

We don't know that Carrie is not a good actor yet though. Nanny never said that. She said she did a good job, but has room for improvement. Plus, Carrie did very well in HIMYM and got good reviews. So I don't think it is fair to conclude that Carrie is not a good actor, especially based on just one person's opiniion.

I would like to see what Carrie can do in a role with more "teeth." Playing a religuous youth counselor is a pretty easy role for Carrie to start out in, since she believes everything she is saying. :) I would love to see Carrie in a horror movie or drama, or suspense. Then we will see a different side of her, as this is sort of a "safe" role for Carrie.