Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soul Surfer Movie Review from Nanny

nannygirl

Nanny-- did they use any Carrie music in the movie? What kind of music was playing in the score, or background? They used Katy Perry's fireworks for the trailer, so I wondered if they used it in the movie? thanx.

No, Tee, they did not use any Carrie music in the film. They used a lot of familiar songs for the background music, however I am not sure if they used Katy Perry's Fireworks. They may have though.

We don't know that Carrie is not a good actor yet though. Nanny never said that. She said she did a good job, but has room for improvement. Plus, Carrie did very well in HIMYM and got good reviews. So I don't think it is fair to conclude that Carrie is not a good actor, especially based on just one person's opinion.

I would like to see what Carrie can do in a role with more "teeth." Playing a religious youth counselor is a pretty easy role for Carrie to start out in, since she believes everything she is saying. :) I would love to see Carrie in a horror movie or drama, or suspense. Then we will see a different side of her, as this is sort of a "safe" role for Carrie.

Haha, I never said Carrie was a bad actress! And I agree with Tee, don't judge Carrie's acting based on my opinion alone! Read all of the good reviews on Twitter! :)

I also really want to see Carrie in a more serious role...like a guest appearance on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit! ;) That would give her another opportunity to try out acting, and it would be a new type of role for her. :D

As for being a movie critic, that actually never crossed my mind...

TOPDOG1001

Personally, I don't think it's a safe role at all. She's not an actress, so putting herself out there in any capacity other than being a singer, is pretty risky.

teesharky

No, Tee, they did not use any Carrie music in the film. They used a lot of familiar songs for the background music, however I am not sure if they used Katy Perry's Fireworks. They may have though.

thanx! Maybe they are not doing a soundtrack then. If there is no Carrie music or new music in the movie or end credits, then they must not be using a soundtrack. Bummer. I had hoped Carrie would be on there.

Haha, I never said Carrie was a bad actress! And I agree with Tee, don't judge Carrie's acting based on my opinion alone! Read all of the good reviews on Twitter! :)

I also really want to see Carrie in a more serious role...like a guest appearance on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit! ;) That would give her another opportunity to try out acting, and it would be a new type of role for her. :D

exactly! Because we know Carrie is a very spiritual person, so playing a youth leader is perfect for her first role since she didn't have to leave her comfort zone. But playing a psycho roomate or something fun like that, would show her depth. It could really push her to be someone she is not.

Then again, she played a flirty, flakey, almost *****y girl on HIMYM, and we know that is not who she is.... lol So I have faith she can go outside her comfort zone again.

teesharky

Personally, I don't think it's a safe role at all. She's not an actress, so putting herself out there in any capacity other than being a singer, is pretty risky.

true. Anytime you act, you are putting yourself out there to criticism and nasty remarks. I just meant, that for Carrie, playing a religious type of person is not a big stretch from what she believes in, or who she is. But Ia m glad she went with a role that is somewhat safe for her first try, so she can feel confident. If she played a CIA agent or something like Salt, that would be something really out of her comfort zone--- so I would love to see that someday. lol

bigbluegrl23

i just want pics of her and mariska/chris haha... uggg! we seriously need to create a petition to make this epic awesomeness happen lol
becca T

Carrieflattsfan

Thanks for being honest with your review, Nanny. It looks to me like this will be a great role for Carrie, and I'm glad to hear she did a good job in her first major movie role. I think Carrie deserves so much credit for going outside of her comfort zone and trying something different; she's so shy, it was probably difficult for her.

Hopefully she will improve as time goes on, but if she doesn't, that's perfectly fine, too. Not everyone can be Beyonce.;)

lab

First of all, thank you so much for the review.

Everybody has an opinion, and to some degree everybody defines himself on his perspective, as he perceived CARRIE'S TREMENDOUS GROWTH FROM THE AUDITION AT AMERICAN IDOL SHOW TO AN EXTRAORDINARY GREAT VOCALIST AND ENTERTAINER WITH TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF AWARDS". YOUR TASTE MAY DIFFER FROM THIS REVIEW. What I got from the review is that, "CARRIE HAS A GREAT ARTISTIC POTENTIAL IN ACTING". But, where is CARRIE NOW, AT THE STEPS OF THE LADDER varies widely from person to person. ACTING is an ART. As with any "CRITICISM", IT IS ON THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. And another thing is that, ACTING IS A "MARATHON", "NOT A SPRINT". As Carrie did in achieving that "EXTRAORDINARY GREAT VOCALIST AND ENTERTAINER" ...... It needs "TIME", "ENERGY" AND "IMAGINATION" and then a tactical time FOR EXTENSIVE ACTING. As "AN ART", learn the "craft" and the "tricks of the trade of acting "THROUGH EXPERIENCE". Learning the CRAFT OF ACTING is always the foundation stone of all good acting. But, I am glad to hear that Carrie DELIVERED A SOLID PERFORMANCE from one person's point of view.

Campaign this movie to your relatives and friends. SHOW YOUR LOVE TO "JESUS CHRIST, OUR SAVIOR". In theaters, April 08, 2011!!!

fearless_dancerrr

carrie has said she saw the film and was proud of herself and actually thought she did well. knowing how critical carrie can be of herself many times, this speaks volumes to me.

teesharky

^ true. Carrie never even likes to hear her own voice on the radio, so it is a good sign that she thought she did a decent job.

Ugh I cannot wait to see this now!

lab

I appreciate Nanny's review but it goes without saying that as objective as the review is (and I do believe Nanny was pretty objective) it is still affected by who we are, so I do believe that Nanny's review is how 'she' saw it.

The part underlined in the quote is something I was thinking about as well. I keep thinking that if Carrie displayed the wrong emotion for a particular scene the director would guide her in correcting it, so I'm wondering if the emotion Nanny saw as 'cold' someone else might label 'indifferent' or 'disappointment'? I believe the scene involved the main character telling Sarah that she wasn't participating in a particular project. Given the scene it may be exactly what the director wanted. I'm sure when many of us see the film we will each have our own different interpretations of what happens in the film and like Nanny we can only tell it like each one of us 'sees' it. And how we experience the occasion will be affected by who we are..it's the old, you say it's this and I say it's that....it's what makes life so interesting.

As for the comparisons, I don't know why these continue to occur...sometimes the comparisons are so dissimilar you wonder how the comparison could even be made...Carrie takes baby steps , others take giant steps , to each his own..I appreciate the fact that Carrie is very aware of her limitations and knows herself well enough to not bite off more than she can chew...That's one very smart cookie! If you examine Carrie's performance within the context of everything that is Carrie Underwood she probably did an excellent job in her first big screen acting role.

I agree in everything you said!!! But, I think the reason why Jennifer Hudson was brought into the picture is that, THE POSSIBILITY THAT CARRIE CAN WIN, ALSO, AN "ACADEMY AWARD" IN THE FUTURE. But, as I said, Carrie is using "TIME", "ENERGY" and "IMAGINATION" AND "TACTICAL TIMING FOR EXTENSIVE ACTING".

Jade_kt

Soul Surfer looks exciting from the clips. Carrie looks great in the movie and seemed like she had fun doing it. Can't wait to see it.

nannygirl

^^^Way to crush all of Jeff's fantasies......lol.

His weren't the only ones crushed. I was excited her character was supposed to be dating the brother, if you know what I mean. :p

And THAT calls for Sir Robert to come to the rescue!

Jade_kt

^^^Well I'm sure Jeff wasn't expecting a make out scene just Carrie in a bikini on the beach is all. I mean is that too much to ask? LOL. Knowing Carrie though that would be the last thing she would want people to see, especially on the big screen...lol. She's too hard on herself imo. I bet if she worn one though nobody would be paying attention to her acting since they would be too distracted, especially Jeff....lol.

nannygirl

^She really is overly critical of herself. That's why I'm glad she thinks she did a good job in Soul Surfer (and she most certainly did!). :D

teesharky

It is amazing how important the movie trailer is to selliing the movie to fans and the world. A bad trailer can keep people from going. A good trailer can lure you in, get you to go, and then sometimes you are disappointed because the trailer was better then the movie. lol

Not in this case though, I am sure. lol

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
Well we will all make our own judgements regarding Carrie's acting when we see the movie. And we may or may not agree with this review. But I do have one comment. There are a number of statements indicating that Carrie was not portraying the expected emotion in a scene. However if that was the case, it is the responsibility of the director to call her on it and do the scene again. They know Carrie has had little acting experience and that she would likely require a lot of guidance from the director. So either she played the scene the way it was intended or the director did not do his job.