Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storyteller Album and Tracks

countrymusicfan15

I'm hoping for a tour DVD in May and then a Christmas album in November. And an announcemnt around Christmas that album #6 can be expected in early Spring of 2018!!

It seems like there is always one song from each album that is loved by the fans but overlooked by the label...at least in terms of singles:

Some Hearts: The Night Before (Life Goes On)
Carnival Ride: I Know You Won't (Get Out Of This Town to an extent too)
Play On: SWISLY/ What Can I Say
Blown Away: Wine After Whiskey
Storyteller: CCA

ChoctawCountyAffair

I don't like Christmas Albums so i really hope she's not going to release one later this year. I'm pretty sure she has recorded A LOT of songs, maybe she could make a EP? Or a Gospel album!

Farawayhills

"Inside Your Heaven" was only included on the North American album release of SH, as a 14th bonus track. It doesn't appear on the album as sold in the UK (and I'd assume not on most other international releases). It stemmed from American Idol (and Bo Bice also released a version) rather than from the planning for the album as a new creative work

The album track "Some Hearts" represents the "Pop half" of that album, which Carrie has explained by saying that they had to carry the expectations of a large mixed audience from AI, and introduce them gently to the Country format. It was released to some Pop formats in roughly the same time frame as JTTW, probably as an insurance policy. It didn't chart as highly as JTTW, and the need for that approach passed. From what she's said (basically, that she doesn't mind if tracks are picked up by other formats, but she won't deliberately target them). I don't see Carrie as having wanted to promote in that way in any of the later eras. People often ask "Why don't they release track x to format y ...?" - as if not doing so is some kind of oversight or weakness by Sony Nashville. But, so far, it seems to have been Carrie's preference - her label is not likely to release something she won't promote.

As for the thorny issue of why there are usually only four singles - I would also like to see more. But I think the issue probably revolves around reluctance to risk her record of always getting singles into the top couple of airplay places. Although almost any Carrie track would be likely to do well, some of the fan favourites would probably be considered more risky for reaching the very top of the airplay chart . And it's likely that diminishing returns would be expected from radio, if there'd already been four in succession - as set against the fresh build up of anticipation after taking a break for the next album.

I do think this high chart priority exists as part of the label's view of Carrie's role as a commercial leader, and it also seems to be important to many fans, but I don't know how important it might be for Carrie personally. However, I think if it was modified, there'd be both a greater chance of one or two more singles being released, and also a greater willingness to risk some of the deeper album tracks.

_luvqry

^Well I always wondered why not a 5th single. I mean, if it flops I guess it's ok as a 5th single and tbh I don't think it matters that much if it will help the album sales. So of course there might be factors I don't know about but I really wish they would take some risks and release some fan favorite or "not known Carrie" as 5th single.

CarrieAddicted

"Inside Your Heaven" was only included on the North American album release of SH, as a 14th bonus track. It doesn't appear on the album as sold in the UK (and I'd assume not on most other international releases). It stemmed from American Idol (and Bo Bice also released a version) rather than from the planning for the album as a new creative work

The album track "Some Hearts" represents the "Pop half" of that album, which Carrie has explained by saying that they had to carry the expectations of a large mixed audience from AI, and introduce them gently to the Country format. It was released to some Pop formats in roughly the same time frame as JTTW, probably as an insurance policy. It didn't chart as highly as JTTW, and the need for that approach passed. From what she's said (basically, that she doesn't mind if tracks are picked up by other formats, but she won't deliberately target them). I don't see Carrie as having wanted to promote in that way in any of the later eras. People often ask "Why don't they release track x to format y ...?" - as if not doing so is some kind of oversight or weakness by Sony Nashville. But, so far, it seems to have been Carrie's preference - her label is not likely to release something she won't promote.

As for the thorny issue of why there are usually only four singles - I would also like to see more. But I think the issue probably revolves around reluctance to risk her record of always getting singles into the top couple of airplay places. Although almost any Carrie track would be likely to do well, some of the fan favourites would probably be considered more risky for reaching the very top of the airplay chart . And it's likely that diminishing returns would be expected from radio, if there'd already been four in succession - as set against the fresh build up of anticipation after taking a break for the next album.

I do think this high chart priority exists as part of the label's view of Carrie's role as a commercial leader, and it also seems to be important to many fans, but I don't know how important it might be for Carrie personally. However, I think if it was modified, there'd be both a greater chance of one or two more singles being released, and also a greater willingness to risk some of the deeper album tracks.

I respect your views and many other's on those two singles, but it really doesn't matter if one was her "winning song" and the other released only to Pop radio. They were singles, period.
People were drawn to the album by them both somehow, as they're both included on it. Those who liked IYH bought the album because of it, same for SH. Same for all the other singles.
Carrie promoted both singles on national TV in several occasions. In fact, she promoted both more than she promoted DFTRM.

I find it really sad that some tend to diminish these two singles just because they didn't received the same level of attention as the others.

CarrieAddicted

I'm hoping for a tour DVD in May and then a Christmas album in November. And an announcemnt around Christmas that album #6 can be expected in early Spring of 2018!!

It seems like there is always one song from each album that is loved by the fans but overlooked by the label...at least in terms of singles:

Some Hearts: The Night Before (Life Goes On)
Carnival Ride: I Know You Won't (Get Out Of This Town to an extent too)
Play On: SWISLY/ What Can I Say
Blown Away: Wine After Whiskey
Storyteller: CCA

My favorite song on SH that was never a single is "Starts With Goodbye".

Farawayhills

I respect your views and many other's on those two singles, but it really doesn't matter if one was her "winning song" and the other released only to Pop radio. They were singles, period.
People were drawn to the album by them both somehow, as they're both included on it. Those who liked IYH bought the album because of it, same for SH. Same for all the other singles.
Carrie promoted both singles on national TV in several occasions. In fact, she promoted both more than she promoted DFTRM.

I find it really sad that some tend to diminish these two singles just because they didn't received the same level of attention as the others.

I don't think it's a question of diminishing them - if people enjoyed them, then that's a good thing, and for some people, it's perfectly possible that they might be among their favourite Carrie tracks of all - which makes them a very a good thing indeed for those people. I'd never try to deny anyone the music they like, or which has a special meaning for them.

The point I was trying to make was that they arose from a different set of circumstances (which Carrie has explained), and those circumstances did not apply to the later eras. For that reason, they, and the ways they were promoted, don't fit easily into Carrie's chosen subsequent career trajectory, making it difficult to use them as examples of what might have been done with the later albums

CarrieAddicted

I don't think it's a question of diminishing them - if people enjoyed them, then that's a good thing, and for some people, it's perfectly possible that they might be among their favourite Carrie tracks of all - which makes them a very a good thing indeed for those people. I'd never try to deny anyone the music they like, or which has a special meaning for them.

The point I was trying to make was that they arose from a different set of circumstances (which Carrie has explained), and those circumstances did not apply to the later eras. For that reason, they, and the ways they were promoted, don't fit easily into Carrie's chosen subsequent career trajectory, making it difficult to use them as examples of what might have been done with the later albums

By "diminishing" I meant diminish them as singles, as in trying to deny the fact that they were singles. Just that.

Yes, they arose from a different set of circumstances, due to that point in Carrie's career. I know all that.
But still... They were singles. LMAO And there's nothing people who don't accept them can do. Some Hearts had 6 singles. End of story.

lizcarlo

I don't like Christmas Albums so i really hope she's not going to release one later this year. I'm pretty sure she has recorded A LOT of songs, maybe she could make a EP? Or a Gospel album!

Yes please. Gospel album would be amazing. It would be cool to hear some amazing songs she recorded that we never got to hear. I hope we get Storyteller Tour DVD as well.

If she is going to release 5th single I would want it to be CCA or LINLYA. Both are different (CCA swampy blues and LINLYA is alternative) and would show even more diversity/interesting side to Carrie music. I didn't say Chaser because it was already single for her fans overseas. If we did get Chaser that would be unexpected delight because she wrote that song very well. It would continue to show her talent as songwriter.

countrymusicfan15

By "diminishing" I meant diminish them as singles, as in trying to deny the fact that they were singles. Just that.

Yes, they arose from a different set of circumstances, due to that point in Carrie's career. I know all that.
But still... They were singles. LMAO And there's nothing people who don't accept them can do. Some Hearts had 6 singles. End of story.

I wouldn't call Inside Your Heaven a single from Some Hearts. It was her American Idol single

CarrieAddicted

It was a single on pop radio; at that time we didn't have any country stations and heard ITH all the time. I never knew how popular JTTW was until I went on CMT message board. 

Exactly my point.
They helped draw attention to the album and to Carrie, cause they were singles. Not only were they played on the radio, but Carrie performed them on several TV shows.
It doesn't matter if IYH was her "Idol single"; it's there on the album, for Christ's sake. LMAO

Case solved.

DazzledByCarrie

Then I would argue that Storyteller got 5 singles also, since Chaser was released, just not in America.

CarrieAddicted

Then I would argue that Storyteller got 5 singles also, since Chaser was released, just not in America.

Ahhh, good point.Everyone can stop wanting a 5th single as we've already had one.Case closed

Was Chaser really a single at the end of the day? We only saw a supposed CD single picture, and that's it. And we don't even know if it was legit.
We never heard anything about it again

Did it really receive radio adds or plays? Not a single official comment/statement about it was made by Sony. Not to mention no live performance on TV or radio stations.

IYH and SH both had proper single treatment: radio adds/plays and TV/radio performances. So...

Show me any proof of Chase as single and I'll say Storyteller has had 5 singles.

maddkat

Staff member
Was Chaser really a single at the end of the day? We only saw a supposed CD single picture, and that's it. And we don't even know if it was legit.
We never heard anything about it again

Did it really receive radio adds or plays? Not a single official comment/statement about it was made by Sony. Not to mention no live performance on TV or radio stations.

IYH and SH both had proper single treatment: radio adds/plays and TV/radio performances. So...

Show me any proof of Chase as single and I'll say Storyteller has had 5 singles.

It had a promo cd released in the UK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGRLTD8xh84

Carrie sang it on BBC 4 Women's radio hour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQB_sJsMdw - and the Simon Mayo radio show.She also added it to her set list in the UK.

It was added to BBC Radio 2's playlist.

Also in a m&g Carrie mentioned it was being released in the UK, and that radio here thought it too long.

CarrieAddicted

It had a promo cd released in the UK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGRLTD8xh84

Carrie sang it on BBC 4 Women's radio hour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQB_sJsMdw - and the Simon Mayo radio show.She also added it to her set list in the UK.

It was added to BBC Radio 2's playlist.

Also in a m&g Carrie mentioned it was being released in the UK, and that radio here thought it too long.

OK, then. Thanks. Didn't know about the radio performances.

So Storyteller had 5 singles.