Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storyteller Top 3/Bottom 3

Hil

Top 3
Renegade Runaway
Church Bells
Dirty Laundry

Bottom
The Girl You think I am
Heartbeat
Clock Don't Stop

lolita55

Top 3
1. CCA
2. CB/DL
3. Mexico

Bottom 3
1. WINKIAW
2. The girl you think I am
3. Heartbeat/SB/CDS.

I know that is more than 3 each but I can't pick a bottom 3 or top 3.

Farawayhills

My bottom 3 (leaving out the bonus track - though I'm afraid that would be in this group, if we were including it):
---Mexico
---Clock Don't Stop
---Relapse

My Top 3 (this is much harder as I have at least a top 5 - 6)
---Like I'll Never You Again
---Smoke Break
---Choctaw County Affair

(the first two are such a departure for Carrie - and definitely, in my view, a big step forward, stylistically, that including them was easy. CCA, though, was a struggle because it had to fight with two thematically similar songs, but I went for it because it was the most radical, and unusual of the three)

Although we were asked for 3, I'd like to add a special mention for "Chaser" - the biggest "grower" for me. I think this song (a Carrie co-write) has at least two aspects that make it an album standout:
a) it encapsulates one of Carrie's defining qualities - her ability to draw on a variety of influences, while still rooting a song in a core genre loyalty (I would disagree with people who describe it as Pop - for me, it's a song that comes closest to explaining what Carrie understands by "contemporary Country", in the sense that it combines innovation with a vocal and melody structure that are more authentic than much that is played on the radio format today)
b) both her vocal and her writing show what I would regard as a growing maturity and confidence. She achieves a subtlety in her singing, without relying on pure power vocals - and the structure of the song is nicely balanced between the verse development and the choruses, with the latter not becoming over dominant, with some good variations in musical style.

(Sorry to go on at length on that - but I wanted to make the point that not naming it in the top three is a sign of the richness of choice that there is among the top songs on Storyteller!)

lolita55

My bottom 3 (leaving out the bonus track - though I'm afraid that would be in this group, if we were including it):
---Mexico
---Clock Don't Stop
---Relapse

---Smoke Break
---Choctaw County Affair

(the first two are such a departure for Carrie - and definitely, in my view, a big step forward, stylistically, that including them was easy. CCA, though, was a struggle because it had to fight with two thematically similar songs, but I went for it because it was the most radical, and unusual of the three)

Although we were asked for 3, I'd like to add a special mention for "Chaser" - the biggest "grower" for me. I think this song (a Carrie co-write) has at least two aspects that make it an album standout:
a) it encapsulates one of Carrie's defining qualities - her ability to draw on a variety of influences, while still rooting a song in a core genre loyalty (I would disagree with people who describe it as Pop - for me, it's a song that comes closest to explaining what Carrie understands by "contemporary Country", in the sense that it combines innovation with a vocal and melody structure that are more authentic than much that is played on the radio format today)
b) both her vocal and her writing show what I would regard as a growing maturity and confidence. She achieves a subtlety in her singing, without relying on pure power vocals - and the structure of the song is nicely balanced between the verse development and the choruses, with the latter not becoming over dominant, with some good variations in musical style.

(Sorry to go on at length on that - but I wanted to make the point that not naming it in the top three is a sign of the
richness of choice that there
is among the top songs on
Storyteller!)

I love chaser it is actually my fifth favorite song on the album. I really wish that she would have made it a single instead of heartbeat. I wish she would have performed this on the UK xfactor instead.

tgbrinker

-Church Bells
-Choctaw
-Mexico
(Heartbeat and Dirty Laundry sometimes swap in too :))

Bottom
-Chaser
-Clock Don't Stop
-Little Girl Don't Grow Up Too Fast

gocountrymusic

Top 3
(1) Dirty Laundry
(2) The Girl You Think I Am
(3) Chaser

Bottom 3
Relapse
Clock Don't Stop (In my opinion this would have been a great song if it focused on one aspect of forgiving another person. I love the first part of it).
and if we aren't counting the bonus track What I Never Knew I Always wanted.

ethelu

---Mexico
---Clock Don't Stop
---Relapse

---Smoke Break
---Choctaw County Affair

(Sorry to go on at length on that - but I wanted to make the point that not naming it in the top three is a sign of the richness of choice that there is among the top songs on Storyteller!)

Totally agree about Chaser being the biggest grower. At first, I really couldn't get into it, but now it's one of my favorite songs on the album. I would love for it to be released as a single. I think it would be a hit.

liveasong

Top 3
1. Choctaw County Affair
2. Renegade Runaway
3. Dirty Laundry
*Special mentions: Chaser & Relapse*

Bottom 3
1. Clock Don't Stop
2. What I Never Knew I Always Wanted
3. The Girl You Think I Am

Claire2004

Lol at Clock Don't Stop being almost unanimously the least liked here at cf. Carrie's vocal on it is great as always, but I just can't at the lyrics.

Hil

Lol at Clock Don't Stop being almost unanimously the least liked here at cf. Carrie's vocal on it is great as always, but I just can't at the lyrics.

I actually like the song It's just the fact there's not really a song I don't like on the album, so I just went by which songs I would least like to be singles & which I think should be singles lol.

liz278

Top 3:
CCA
Dirty Laundry/Church Bells
Chaser

Bottom 3
RR
CDS
HB

I like RR and HB, but I really like tracks 2,3, and 5 and 8, so I sometimes skip them to get to my favorites :)

keepplayingon2

Top 3.
1. Heartbeat
2. Choctaw County Affair
3. Church Bells

Bottoms 3.
1. The Girl You Think I Am
2. Like I'll Never Love You Again
3. Relapse

bubbasumner

I like every song on the album so just because they are bottom three doesn't mean I don't listen to them.
They are just what I listen to the least.

Top 3:
Relapse
Chaser
Dirty Laundry

Bottom 3:
Mexico
Renegade Runaway
What I Never Knew I Always Wanted