Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temporary Home sang on American Idol

dylan007

I don't think she had a large head, and she also didn't look mentally disabled. The mother also didn't mention any other disabilities other than her having some hearing issues. It's not even as if she's completely deaf. Maybe I was being a little insensitive, but I still think it was over-exaggerated.

Well, I don't think it's not. Hydrocephalus affects people in many different ways. She may not have looked mentally disabled to you, but that doesn't mean she's not. Since the brain cannot function in a regular way, there's always something affecting it. Most have slow learning abilities because the brain cannot function like it normally should. For a five-year old, her learning curve may just be that for a 2-year old. That's just an example though.

If you're being a little insensitive, maybe I'm being oversensitive. It's just that I've seen kids up close (not just on TV) in the same situation, so maybe that's why. It is a struggle to keep them functioning normally as they could ever be, and the process does not stop. It continues for life. Some are lucky to be affected only in a "small" way. For others, it was way worse like dying young.

It is Idol's fault more, but the contestants can also choose not to share their sob stories when asked. I don't think the show would have made this girl share a story about her child's disability if she hadn't mentioned it to them, which I'm sure she did.

Well, unless you audition you don't really know what's asked of the contestants. An innocent question like "tell me something about where you grew up" with an innocent answer like "I live Oklahoma and my dad runs a farm", and Idol spun it to Carrie walking on the farm, fetching milk or whatever, and portraying her as the farm girl who has never been anywhere. Or another innocent one as "where do you live now", and an innocent answer such as "I live in my car right now and just drive wherever, but I like it that way. More freedom for me," and Idol has made it into a soap opera about parents leaving this child on their own, kid struggling to make ends meet by singing whereever they can, begging for food, etc. The machine is so powerful they can spin it anyway they can and want to. And it won't surprise me if Idol does their own "investigating" with certain contestants. I'm pretty sure those with past rap sheets don't put that on "tell me about yourself" question. That's why there's an old joke that joining Idol is like signing a contract with the devil.

And in this age where virtually any information is available in a simple Google search, I don't think Idol has to lay everything out there anyway. An interesting contestant can make viewers search them on the internet and there's probably more info out there than a 5-minute segment. I don't think Idol has mentioned David Cook's brother having cancer, but fans found out by themselves.

Anyway, I was actually surprised she sang TH, but choosing the second verse is very fitting. I wonder if Carrie will blog about it, since she blogged about the first episode.

JB172

I'm gonna be the jerk here and say that I wasn't a fan of this woman. She sang well, and I'm glad she chose a Carrie song to sing, and I definitely think she deserved to go to Hollywood. I just thought her sob story was a little dramatic. She was crying as if her child has cancer or down syndrome...she has a hearing aid...big deal. I found myself rolling my eyes rather than being upset. Although I did get the connection she had with Temporary Home, being a struggling single mother and all. I just felt like it was wrong to play up her kid having a disability like that. There are kids out there with real disabilities and terminal illness. I also don't like how Idol gives certain contestants their own little segments where they get to tell their sob stories during the audition rounds. It gives them an unfair advantage and a head start over the others who don't get their own little video clip.

Either way, she definitely helped Temporary Home in sales since it has now moved up to #16 on the iTunes country chart and is #99 overall!

You sure did a great job of describing what your post is with the first line of it.

You are clearly not a parent otherwise you wouldn't have posted such insensitve nonsense, why don't you put yourself in her shoes where at the age of 18 you had a child and not only deal with being a parent at such a young age but one with a child who has medical issuses.

Oh the off chance that you are a parent, I feel bad for your children because you are a TERIBBLE one.

robinannhunt

I'm gonna be the jerk here and say that I wasn't a fan of this woman. She sang well, and I'm glad she chose a Carrie song to sing, and I definitely think she deserved to go to Hollywood. I just thought her sob story was a little dramatic. She was crying as if her child has cancer or down syndrome...she has a hearing aid...big deal. I found myself rolling my eyes rather than being upset. Although I did get the connection she had with Temporary Home, being a struggling single mother and all. I just felt like it was wrong to play up her kid having a disability like that. There are kids out there with real disabilities and terminal illness. I also don't like how Idol gives certain contestants their own little segments where they get to tell their sob stories during the audition rounds. It gives them an unfair advantage and a head start over the others who don't get their own little video clip.

Either way, she definitely helped Temporary Home in sales since it has now moved up to #16 on the iTunes country chart and is #99 overall!

I wonder if the judges get to see this back story before they judge. I don't think so. It definitely will give her an advantage if she makes it to the audience voting rounds.

bigbluegrl23

glad you at least know your a jerk so we dont have to tell you... you seriously dont think having a hearing problem is a disability? and as another poster said, it's a more serious condition than that. and there are plenty of people with problems a lot deeper than what other people can see. a terminal or noticeable condition are not the only important ones. also, while this girl was still born with problems, the mother believed her baby would die (thats what the doctor told her), instead, her child is happy, while still having the hearing problem. the mother's just happy to have her baby... im really not trying to attack you, im sure you didnt mean this, but im really shocked by your post.
becca T

Carrieflattsfan

I find your response to be incredibly insenstive and quite ignorant. This woman was a single mother at 18, and was told by her own doctors she shouldn't keep her own baby. Yet, she chose do something for her CHILD, because she didn't care about her own hardships, but making a better life for her daughter.
Hydroceplius is a VERY serious condition, and it can even cause death. Children can have long-term complications, everything ranging from learning disablities to seziures, to simple functions like the ability to walk and talk normally.
It's something that lasts for a lifetime, and the complications never go away...put yourself in her shoes for a second, realizing the SELFLESS act this woman has done for her daughter. Do you have any idea what this child could've been through? Her mother could've very easily given her up, and she could've spent years trying to find a family willing to love her and take care of her around the clock.
We will never know what the child or mother has to go through. It's difficult to go through life with a healthy child, let alone being a single mother of a child with special needs.

You act as if Paris randomly brought up her daughter for attention. She dedicated her performance to her daughter, and of COURSE they wanted to know her backstory. How dare you blame that on the mother.

As someone who has a physical disablity, I find your post to be incredibly disrespectful. Luckily I have a great family who loves me for me and has given me every oppertunity in the world, but MANY children aren't so lucky. Until you encountar someone who puts their entire life behind their child's when it is challenging and often unexpexcted hardships, you will never understand what it's like to be in their shoes. Paris spoke of this child as her ENTIRE life, and she wants to give her everything in the world, even though she faces so many challenges that are unknown to a lot of children.
Shame on you for being so thoughtless.

AnthonyLovesCarrie

I find your response to be incredibly insenstive and quite ignorant. This woman was a single mother at 18, and was told by her own doctors she shouldn't keep her own baby. Yet, she chose do something for her CHILD, because she didn't care about her own hardships, but making a better life for her daughter.
Hydroceplius is a VERY serious condition, and it can even cause death. Children can have long-term complications, everything ranging from learning disablities to seziures, to simple functions like the ability to walk and talk normally.
It's something that lasts for a lifetime, and the complications never go away...put yourself in her shoes for a second, realizing the SELFLESS act this woman has done for her daughter. Do you have any idea what this child could've been through? Her mother could've very easily given her up, and she could've spent years trying to find a family willing to love her and take care of her around the clock.
We will never know what the child or mother has to go through. It's difficult to go through life with a healthy child, let alone being a single mother of a child with special needs.
Shame on you for posting something so thoughtless. :mad:

I understand she had a child when she was 18, but who's fault is that? Don't have a kid if you can't care for it. Also, I understand with the condition the child has there can be seizures, learning disabilities, etc. But the mother didn't mention that. All she mentioned was that her daughter needs a hearing aid. If there is indeed other issues that she didn't mention, then I do take back what I said. The main reason I am pointing this out, is because like I said before, I don't like it when certain contestants get to share their stories, and others don't. It isn't fair. And it may not be the contestant's fault, but I will certainly not vote for someone just because I feel sorry for them. This girl is talented, she sang Temporary Home very well, and if she keeps getting better, I just might vote for her.

AnthonyLovesCarrie

I'm just gonna delete my previous posts since I don't feel like getting into a debate, even though I shouldn't be attacked for having a different opinion.

JB172

I'm just gonna delete my previous posts since obviously some people can't handle opinions that are different from theirs.

First of all nobody is saying that you are not allowed to express your opinion, but if you are going to express such an insensitive one as you did you are going to go get called out on it like you have been.

Secondly, you must not think very much of your own opinion if you don't have the guts to keep it in the thread.

Carrieflattsfan

I'm just gonna delete my previous posts since I don't feel like getting into a debate, even though I shouldn't be attacked for having a different opinion.

I don't think anyone (including myself) is trying to attack you; but obviously your opinion isn't favorable here, so you should expect people might get a little angry/defensive. I apologize if I offended you in any way; I just feel very strongly about the subject in particular, and the mother's scincere devotion is something I've experienced with my own mom. Believe it or not, it's pretty difficult for anyone with special needs to find someone who loves them unconditionally; that may seem darmatic, but life isn't the same for people who face such things on a daliy bases.
Paris appears to have unconditional love for her daughter, and she CHOSE to be selfless and put the needs of someone else ahead of her own, despite the fact that she was so young. Many people couldn't even handel what she has, even IF they were married with a healthy child.
You'd be surprised at how selfish people can be....
Anyway, that's JMO.

dylan007

I understand she had a child when she was 18, but who's fault is that? Don't have a kid if you can't care for it. Also, I understand with the condition the child has there can be seizures, learning disabilities, etc. But the mother didn't mention that. All she mentioned was that her daughter needs a hearing aid.

Maybe it's just a way for the mother to downplay her daughter's condition because it may be painful for her to recall everything that has gone wrong. Even with the hearing aid, we still don't know how serious her hearing problem is. I know the audition pieces are not shown in full, but from what we all saw, she simply told the judges she is a mother with special needs child. There's a chance she stopped there and didn't go detail by detail on what her kid's problem is.

The main reason I am pointing this out, is because like I said before, I don't like it when certain contestants get to share their stories, and others don't. It isn't fair.

It's definitely not fair. The thing is, I would bet ALL these contestants have sob stories. Otherwise, they won't see AI as their one and only shot at their big dream. It's the producers who choose who to showcase because they need the audience to watch the show. If they feel one story is more compelling than the other's story, then they will show that story to the audience. I bet later on, we'll see new backstories from people that they just glanced over this audition rounds. Elliott's hearing problem wasn't shown until the Hollywood rounds. Some just get a headstart, some get it later when it's more valuable during the audience voting rounds. For me though, hearing it once is enough. The thing that turns me off is repeating it over and over, and obviously milking the story for votes (like Danny and his dead wife story). If this girl gets far and she mentions her kid every chance she gets then I'm sure that will turn off a good number of the audience.

And it may not be the contestant's fault, but I will certainly not vote for someone just because I feel sorry for them.

That is perfectly within your right. I feel the same way.

HuiZ

Believe it or not, it's pretty difficult for anyone with special needs to find someone who loves them unconditionally; that may seem darmatic, but life isn't the same for people who face such things on a daliy bases.
Paris appears to have unconditional love for her daughter, and she CHOSE to be selfless and put the needs of someone else ahead of her own, despite the fact that she was so young. Many people couldn't even handel what she has, even IF they were married with a healthy child.
You'd be surprised at how selfish people can be....
I couldn't agree more. If you haven't been through a personal experience, you probably won't realize what a burden (emotionally/financially) it is for the carer of someone who has health problems. It is A LOT of sacrifice, and all about unconditional love.

Back stories are fine for me during auditions, because well... everyone has one anyway. It just depends on how Idol wants to spin it (Carrie farm girl, Lee sells paint etc etc). It only bugs me when the backstory is being USED to retain a place on the Top 12 week after week, and on top of that, the talent doesn't measure up.

allirishgirl

i really like it & could she has a listen-able (is that a word?) voice :) you could see she meant what she was singing & good luck to her in teh competition (i for 1 wont be watching) gave up on Idol after Carrie won :D

robinannhunt

i really like it & could she has a listen-able (is that a word?) voice :) you could see she meant what she was singing & good luck to her in teh competition (i for 1 wont be watching) gave up on Idol after Carrie won :D

I watch the last few shows when the competition is more real. Of course if the talent is bad I don't even watch that.

AnthonyLovesCarrie

First of all nobody is saying that you are not allowed to express your opinion, but if you are going to express such an insensitive one as you did you are going to go get called out on it like you have been.

Secondly, you must not think very much of your own opinion if you don't have the guts to keep it in the thread.

It's not that I don't have the "guts". Besides, all of the posts are still here because you guys quoted them in your posts. It's just because too many people are offended by it, so my intention was not to offend anyone. Whether you believe me or not, I was actually just expressing my opinion about this particular contestant.

I've dealt with medical issues in my own life (some serious ones that required a lot of medication and 2 surgeries at age 16), and I know it's not easy. But I don't look for sympathy because of that, and I wouldn't mention it if I were a contestant on Idol because I wouldn't want sympathy votes.

I just got a little annoyed because of how her daughter's deafness was play off of as much as it was. She is partially deaf, not mentally stunted. Not the story of a lifetime. Just my opinion, and that's the last I'll comment on this subject.

cpeTN89

None the less, Paris still gave a very beautiful and emotional rendition of TH and I hope she makes it far.

JB172

It's not that I don't have the "guts". Besides, all of the posts are still here because you guys quoted them in your posts. It's just because too many people are offended by it, so my intention was not to offend anyone. Whether you believe me or not, I was actually just expressing my opinion about this particular contestant.

I've dealt with medical issues in my own life (some serious ones that required a lot of medication and 2 surgeries at age 16), and I know it's not easy. But I don't look for sympathy because of that, and I wouldn't mention it if I were a contestant on Idol because I wouldn't want sympathy votes.

I just got a little annoyed because of how her daughter's deafness was play off of as much as it was. She is partially deaf, not mentally stunted. Not the story of a lifetime. Just my opinion, and that's the last I'll comment on this subject.

If you wanted to say that "sob stories" or any back story shouldn't be used, that is what you should have said instead of stooping to the level that you did by saying that her's childs illness isn't as bad as someone who has cancer, etc...

As a parent I take great offense to someone who IS NOT a parent and saying what you did.

You keep bringing the medical issues that you had up and I hope that everything is ok, but it is not the same of being a parent with a child who has an illness, thank God that I haven't had to deal with anything serious with my 3 girls but working in the healthcare field for the last 17 years I have seen plenty that have.

AnthonyLovesCarrie

If you wanted to say that "sob stories" or any back story shouldn't be used, that is what you should have said instead of stooping to the level that you did by saying that her's childs illness isn't as bad as someone who has cancer, etc....

You're right, I apologize.