Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temporary Home sang on American Idol

dylan007

I just got a little annoyed because of how her daughter's deafness was play off of as much as it was. She is partially deaf, not mentally stunted. Not the story of a lifetime. Just my opinion, and that's the last I'll comment on this subject.

But we don't know that though - with Hydrocephalus, I would bet 80% that she is actually mentally stunted. There's no way you have that heavy pressure on the brain and function normally. I can understand the mother not mentioning that though because sometimes, one part of the condition is more painful to express and talk about than the others. I would imagine that for any parent it's easier to say "my child is partially deaf" and stop there rather than "my child is partially deaf, and she's pretty slow too. she cannot talk or read straight, and she cannot go to a normal school because of that." Sometimes, the less details to talk about, the less painful it is.

I'm not sure how great she will be come Hollywood rounds and with all the bad or marginal talent all filtered out. But if she goes far, I hope we don't have to hear about it every single week. Just as I don't want to hear every week about that other kid supposed to be in a wheelchair for life, or the kid whose family lives in a shelter, or all other sob stories. For me, when I hear it once, it's enough. It's vain to hope anyway that Idol go back to its roots (in Season 1 and 2) and just focus on singing, and singing alone. If Kelly Clarkson had joined Idol in the later seasons, everyone would probably know that she had a heck of a sob story too.

pklongbeach

Wow, I missed alot.
And I think we are going down a pretty slippery slop here.
But I will say in agreement with Anthony, some of the "packages" they do are intended to make good tv. But it does not seem fair that some get a great deal of attention for things other than their singing.
Now, 2 things: 1st, this is a tv show. It's supposed to be entertaining. It is the job of the producers and writers to present a show that people will like.
I firmly believe that this senario was planned. That does not make it bad or wrong (they have been manipulating the audience from the first season).
But it is a planned edited effort on their part to play on a storyline that they think people will respond to.
If you don't like the system, you may as well not watch. But don't be naive enough to believe that they are not well aware of every second of footage they present to us and what impact it will have.
Now #2: In some cases the story trumps the manipulative nature of the show. It was in fact very meaningful. It served many purposes above just manipulating the audience and therefore I accepted it as it was. In the end, she sang it beautifully and enough so that I believe that JLo was genuinely moved. I think we all were.
Was it manipulative? You bettcha! But it also served an interesting purpose in that we are all talking about tolorance, love, commitment, hardship, sacrifice, and a handicape that I am not even sure I knew existed.
So it is all good, in this case. Even though I have had big problems (and probably will again) with some of the antics that the producers pull to manipulate the viewer.
But I do have to remember one very important moment in Idol history. Carrie carrying buckets of milk or chicken feed or whatever was a stretch.
But it served to create a backstory that I and many other people "chose" to accept.
So we can't be talking much about not liking the manipulation now can we.

Claire2004

^^^Just curious, how is Carrie carrying stuff a stretch? Not trying to start an argument, please don't deck me,lol, but the statement just made me pause a bit. Thanks! :)

pklongbeach

The intention of the "package" that they did for Carrie was to create this image of her livin' on the farm in a one-horse town. Never been on a plane and never been to Hollywood. And the only Stars she knew of were "in the sky".
All of it was true, don't get me wrong. But a "truer" package would have had her hard at work and a large University working toward a degree in journalism. Not carrying chicken feed around a farm.

Claire2004

The intention of the "package" that they did for Carrie was to create this image of her livin' on the farm in a one-horse town. Never been on a plane and never been to Hollywood. And the only Stars she knew of were "in the sky".
All of it was true, don't get me wrong. But a "truer" package would have had her hard at work and a large University working toward a degree in journalism. Not carrying chicken feed around a farm.

Thanks. Yes, the AI people do tend to be less subtle about things, lol.

lab

Great audition, eventhough I was in tears for most of it! Carrie's music touches more people than we will ever know. This young mom definitely needs the inspiration found in Carrie's music. God Bless her.

Me too and I agree with you!!!

Nowhere in the BIBLE could I find an ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE of pleasant circumstances in our "TEMPORARY HOME", "EARTH". CHRISTIANS , LIKE OTHERS, are subject to pain and suffering in our lives. So, with renewed determination and renewed passion ...... YOU SHOULD HAVE THE "POWER", THE "WILL" AND THE "FAITH IN GOD", that this young mother has. This young mother has the COURAGE and FAITH, AND SHE WANTS TO SHARE TO THE WORLD, that this song will always remind her and her daughter TO HAVE THAT "COURAGE" AND "FAITH". Our present sufferings are not worth comparing with THE GLORY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN US. The most wonderful life is not the life here on earth ...... THE MOST WONDERFUL LIFE IS THE ONE TO COME AFTER THIS ONE IS OVER, THE "EVERLASTING LIFE", "HEAVEN". This is the reason why Carrie wrote this song.

Carrieflattsfan

But we don't know that though - with Hydrocephalus, I would bet 80% that she is actually mentally stunted. There's no way you have that heavy pressure on the brain and function normally. I can understand the mother not mentioning that though because sometimes, one part of the condition is more painful to express and talk about than the others. I would imagine that for any parent it's easier to say "my child is partially deaf" and stop there rather than "my child is partially deaf, and she's pretty slow too. she cannot talk or read straight, and she cannot go to a normal school because of that." Sometimes, the less details to talk about, the less painful it is.

I'm not sure how great she will be come Hollywood rounds and with all the bad or marginal talent all filtered out. But if she goes far, I hope we don't have to hear about it every single week. Just as I don't want to hear every week about that other kid supposed to be in a wheelchair for life, or the kid whose family lives in a shelter, or all other sob stories. For me, when I hear it once, it's enough. It's vain to hope anyway that Idol go back to its roots (in Season 1 and 2) and just focus on singing, and singing alone. If Kelly Clarkson had joined Idol in the later seasons, everyone would probably know that she had a heck of a sob story too.

Dylan,

I just wanted to say thank you for everything you have contibuted to this thread; you said everything I wanted to, better than I could've. ;)

There's an Idol video on the website where Paris says she's a "wife and mom." Saying she's a single mom must've been something some of us assumed because of the verse she chose of the song. Come to think of it, she never said she was a single Mom, just that she takes care of her daughter. That could mean she is her primary caregiver.

lab

At the end of the day, "POPULARITY AS A TREASURE" will always be about "THE EXTRAORDINARY NATURAL TALENT AND AUGMENTED BY AN EVEN MORE EXTRAORDINARY PERSEVERANCE, DRIVE AND SUPER HARD WORK THROUGH "DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING" ...... GREAT FAVORABLE REPUTATION OR GREAT FAVORABLE PUBLIC IMAGE, A MULTI-DIMENSIONAL ONE ...... LIKE "CARRIE UNDERWOOD".

lab

Wow, I missed alot.
And I think we are going down a pretty slippery slop here.
But I will say in agreement with Anthony, some of the "packages" they do are intended to make good tv. But it does not seem fair that some get a great deal of attention for things other than their singing.
Now, 2 things: 1st, this is a tv show. It's supposed to be entertaining. It is the job of the producers and writers to present a show that people will like.
I firmly believe that this senario was planned. That does not make it bad or wrong (they have been manipulating the audience from the first season).
But it is a planned edited effort on their part to play on a storyline that they think people will respond to.
If you don't like the system, you may as well not watch. But don't be naive enough to believe that they are not well aware of every second of footage they present to us and what impact it will have.
Now #2: In some cases the story trumps the manipulative nature of the show. It was in fact very meaningful. It served many purposes above just manipulating the audience and therefore I accepted it as it was. In the end, she sang it beautifully and enough so that I believe that JLo was genuinely moved. I think we all were.
Was it manipulative? You bettcha! But it also served an interesting purpose in that we are all talking about tolorance, love, commitment, hardship, sacrifice, and a handicape that I am not even sure I knew existed.
So it is all good, in this case. Even though I have had big problems (and probably will again) with some of the antics that the producers pull to manipulate the viewer.
But I do have to remember one very important moment in Idol history. Carrie carrying buckets of milk or chicken feed or whatever was a stretch.
But it served to create a backstory that I and many other people "chose" to accept.
So we can't be talking much about not liking the manipulation now can we.

I agree with you, AND, IT IS, WHAT IT IS!!! The GOAL of American Idol Show is TO EARN A "PROFIT". And one of their objectives is TO INCREASE THE RATINGS OF THE SHOW. And another one of their objectives is TO FIND ANOTHER "CARRIE UNDERWOOD". They are designed TO ATTRACT PUBLIC ATTENTION OR INTEREST ON "THE SHOW" AND "THE CONTESTANTS". It is a PART OF "DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING" for the contestants. And I am very sure that "Kenzie Palmer, who performed Carrie's "We're Young And Beautiful" " and "Paris Tassin who performed Carrie's Temporary Home" and others shown with GREAT Vocals are the TOP CONTENDERS FOR "THE TOP 12", AS PERCEIVED BY "THE PRODUCERS OF THE SHOW". But, that does not mean that they are guaranteed to be in the "TOP 12" because IT ALL DEPENDS ON THEIR PERFORMANCES DURING "HOLLYWOOD WEEK" and THE THREE JUDGES WILL DECIDE ON THAT. We might see some contestants in the "TOP 12" that were not shown on television during the AUDITION WEEKS. As far as the contestants are concerned, AI sell the contestants and sell them "AS A TOTAL ARTIST", not just as A VOCALIST. This is where the "CEO" of the Universal Music Group and HIS TEAM WILL COME IN!!! But, as I said in my other previous post that at the end of the day, "POPULARITY AS A TREASURE" will always be about "THE EXTRAORDINARY NATURAL TALENT AND AUGMENTED BY AN "EVEN MORE EXTRAORDINARY" PERSEVERANCE, DRIVE AND SUPER HARD WORK, LIKE "CARRIE UNDERWOOD", "AS A TOTAL ARTIST" ( INCLUDING REPUTATION AND PUBLIC IMAGE)!!!!!!!!!

utlovescarrie

TH could become the favorite song of choice for future auditioning who has back story a free ticket to Hollywood. It’s kind of song when sang very well can easily melt anyone heart, including judges. Remember the guy who sang TH in Norway version of X-Factor that also makes one of the judges cried? Let’s hope Paris is not one of those contestants who are good in audition but fell flat in crunch time, and she can stand her own all the way to the final 4 for the sake of her cute daughter.
I had never heard that so I went and watched it. They were crying - did you notice he rearranged the lyrics? He started with the first verse and then sang "at night she whispers to her baby girl". I wonder if anyone there would have noticed?

utlovescarrie

I understand she had a child when she was 18, but who's fault is that? Don't have a kid if you can't care for it. Also, I understand with the condition the child has there can be seizures, learning disabilities, etc. But the mother didn't mention that. All she mentioned was that her daughter needs a hearing aid. If there is indeed other issues that she didn't mention, then I do take back what I said. The main reason I am pointing this out, is because like I said before, I don't like it when certain contestants get to share their stories, and others don't. It isn't fair. And it may not be the contestant's fault, but I will certainly not vote for someone just because I feel sorry for them. This girl is talented, she sang Temporary Home very well, and if she keeps getting better, I just might vote for her.
I understand what you are saying on the fairness thing. Example: I girl from my nieces dance studio tried out for So You Think You Can Dance. She went through the auditions but in the end she wasn't picked. She was told that she had everything she needed as a DANCER to make the show but no STORY - nothing to draw viewers in. We all just have to watch and make our own decisions. Some make it on talent (like Carrie and Kelly), some make it on likability (Taylor and Ruben). BUT sometimes these back stories end up hurting. Watching Crystal's package started my dislike of her. THEN you add in her attitude and her one-trick-SWSRN-pony talent and she lost.

I do think you might have phrased it a little differently. Didn't Sarah Palin (NOT opening this up to a political debate) teach you anything about mama grizzlies protecting their young? Mom's (and dad's) tend to get very protective of kids - even if they aren't theirs - especially if they have something that makes them a target of ridicule.

Now - for Paris. I think she is talented and her story is moving. I do think she is married though because she has a ring on. The "pregnant at 18" usually turns me off ('cause it seems like they are using it for sympathy and I do believe that some of the packages feel manipulative & I don't like that) but her facing all of it at such a young age and THRIVING in itself is inspiring. Her voice is very good and I hope she does well under the pressure. Of course I do believe that Carrie is untouchable on this song - her emotion - especially after the truck driver - is palpable.

lab

I understand what you are saying on the fairness thing. Example: I girl from my nieces dance studio tried out for So You Think You Can Dance. She went through the auditions but in the end she wasn't picked. She was told that she had everything she needed as a DANCER to make the show but no STORY - nothing to draw viewers in. We all just have to watch and make our own decisions. Some make it on talent (like Carrie and Kelly), some make it on likability (Taylor and Ruben). BUT sometimes these back stories end up hurting. Watching Crystal's package started my dislike of her. THEN you add in her attitude and her one-trick-SWSRN-pony talent and she lost.

I do think you might have phrased it a little differently. Didn't Sarah Palin (NOT opening this up to a political debate) teach you anything about mama grizzlies protecting their young? Mom's (and dad's) tend to get very protective of kids - even if they aren't theirs - especially if they have something that makes them a target of ridicule.

Now - for Paris. I think she is talented and her story is moving. I do think she is married though because she has a ring on. The "pregnant at 18" usually turns me off ('cause it seems like they are using it for sympathy and I do believe that some of the packages feel manipulative & I don't like that) but her facing all of it at such a young age and THRIVING in itself is inspiring. Her voice is very good and I hope she does well under the pressure. Of course I do believe that Carrie is untouchable on this song - her emotion - especially after the truck driver - is palpable.

I think you mean ...... Some make it on, "EXTRAORDINARY NATURAL TALENT AND LIKABILITY" (like Carrie and Kelly) and some make it on, "MORE ON LIKABILITY WITH AVERAGE TALENT" (like Taylor Hicks). Being well-liked or common, FORMS THE VITAL COMPONENT OF SUCCESS!!! It is JUST NOT ENOUGH, that contestants to have "EXTRAORDINARY GREAT TALENTS, BUT, it is also about HOW THE CONTESTANTS ARE PRESENTED TO THE AUDIENCE ...... TO THE MUSIC MARKET. And also "American Idol Show" is "A MARATHON" , "NOT A SPRINT" ...... And this is TRUE ALSO TO AN ARTIST'S CAREER AS FAR AS "LONGEVITY OF THE CAREER" IS CONCERNED. Then, AFTER AMERICAN IDOL SHOW, "POPULARITY OR HIGH QUALITY OF BEING WELL-LIKED" is a "TREASURE" hard-won on the "MUSIC BATTLEFIELDS" through "DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING".