Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Blown Away, Week 26

opry051008

^^ Why would people want you to say that?? Anyway, why compare only Carrie and Taylor when Taylor is outselling everyone from any genre right now. And Adele is outselling anyone that has anything to do with music right now.

Pi314CA

Interesting breakdown of the sales of "Red" from Billboard article. Didn't realize Amazon sales are SO SMALL. "Red" only sold 16k-18k on Amazon!

I hope Carrie's marketing team is taking notes.

Excerpt:
Label sources indicate that iTunes sold nearly 465,000 copies of the album -- a record sales week for an iTunes album. Target rang up around 396,000 on its own -- again, a record for the retailer. Swift's unique deal with Papa John's yielded a meaty 8,000 copies of "Red." While that number looks small compared to Target and iTunes, to put it in perspective, it's almost half of the total "Red" CDs sold via Amazon.com. Papa John's sold the CD for $13 and also as part of large one-topping pizza combo for $22. (Large single-topping pizzas on their own sell for $12.) Swift's face was also plastered across the top of Papa John's pizza boxes, so even if customers didn't buy the album, they were certainly aware of it existing.

Link: Taylor Swift's 'Red' Sells 1.21 Million -- Biggest Sales Week for an Album Since 2002 | Billboard.biz

clh_hilary

The female first-week sales record was actually rather interesting. I believe Mariah Carey's "Daydream" broke the record with only more than 300k copies sold; then Alanis Morissette's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" opened with around 460k copies and held the record for 3 years only, only have Britney Spears to have her first day sales (500k copies) to beat the record, and 1.3 million copies for the full 6-day week. First-week sales just skyrocketed during the teen pop era and actually are still rather high these days. Huge albums following up huge albums usually only do the 300k range (Michael Jackson's "Bad", Celine Dion's "Let's Talk About Love", a Garth Brook album) and they actually might increase in their second week of availability. I recall seeing LeAnn Rimes opening with consecutive less-than-200k numbers and those were actually rather solid top-tier albums at the time.

We should have the excitement of having someone challenging Britney's record when ADELE drops her next album probably next year.

nccountrygal

Interesting breakdown of the sales of "Red" from Billboard article. Didn't realize Amazon sales are SO SMALL. "Red" only sold 16k-18k on Amazon!

I hope Carrie's marketing team is taking notes.

Excerpt:
Label sources indicate that iTunes sold nearly 465,000 copies of the album -- a record sales week for an iTunes album. Target rang up around 396,000 on its own -- again, a record for the retailer. Swift's unique deal with Papa John's yielded a meaty 8,000 copies of "Red." While that number looks small compared to Target and iTunes, to put it in perspective, it's almost half of the total "Red" CDs sold via Amazon.com. Papa John's sold the CD for $13 and also as part of large one-topping pizza combo for $22. (Large single-topping pizzas on their own sell for $12.) Swift's face was also plastered across the top of Papa John's pizza boxes, so even if customers didn't buy the album, they were certainly aware of it existing.

Link: Taylor Swift's 'Red' Sells 1.21 Million -- Biggest Sales Week for an Album Since 2002 | Billboard.biz

Well the Papa John's deal does not seem very lucrative if only 8,000 CD's were sold. You would think that BM would have had to pay a whole lot more to advertise Taylor on the Pizza boxes than what they received in sales. As far as Target goes I wonder if most of those sales were for the deluxe edition which was an exlusive at Target right?

Pi314CA

Well the Papa John's deal does not seem very lucrative if only 8,000 CD's were sold. You would think that BM would have had to pay a whole lot more to advertise Taylor on the Pizza boxes than what they received in sales. As far as Target goes I wonder if most of those sales were for the deluxe edition which was an exlusive at Target right?

Yeah, I think the Papa John advertising bombed. The printing costs probably outweigh the profits from 8,000 CDs sold. lol.

As for Target, they had that deluxe edition going for them. I wish that Carrie put out a deluxe BA CD for this Christmas as a Target exclusive.

opry051008

Fine. Taylor is the best thing to happen to Country Music. She will win Entertainer of the Year on Thursday, and I really hope she does. And I hope she sweeps the Country awards next year.

I guess the interview didn't go well Jason? or maybe with the storm, maybe didn't happen?

JB172

Fine. Taylor is the best thing to happen to Country Music. She will win Entertainer of the Year on Thursday, and I really hope she does. And I hope she sweeps the Country awards next year.

If she bothers you that damn much just DO NOT go into threads that involve her instead of acting like a child.

NC State Carrie Fan

All you people were saying Blake and Lady A would outsell Scotty by alot and he doesn't have that big of a fanbase! Um can anyone say 61k with a Christmas album, its not even November yet and he's not even promoting it....he's in college! I really hope he does well in the future...he's my favorite artist besides Carrie

teesharky

^ I like Scotty too and I am happy for him! I downloaded a few of his Christmas songs and he sounds great. I really hope he releases a more upbeat song as his new lead single. That is what I think held him back a bit.

country radio needs to give him a real chance. Same with Lauren.

Casey James is doing well with his suitcase song. I actually really love that song too.

teesharky

The female first-week sales record was actually rather interesting. I believe Mariah Carey's "Daydream" broke the record with only more than 300k copies sold; then Alanis Morissette's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" opened with around 460k copies and held the record for 3 years only, only have Britney Spears to have her first day sales (500k copies) to beat the record, and 1.3 million copies for the full 6-day week. First-week sales just skyrocketed during the teen pop era and actually are still rather high these days. Huge albums following up huge albums usually only do the 300k range (Michael Jackson's "Bad", Celine Dion's "Let's Talk About Love", a Garth Brook album) and they actually might increase in their second week of availability. I recall seeing LeAnn Rimes opening with consecutive less-than-200k numbers and those were actually rather solid top-tier albums at the time.

We should have the excitement of having someone challenging Britney's record when ADELE drops her next album probably next year.

I plan to buy like 10 copies of Adele's new album as I really want her to CRUSH Red. No prisoners!

I am so stoked that her Skyfall song is getting lots of Oscar and Golden Globe buzz. I think it will sweep both for movie song. Sorry, SWSRN. lol (well, her hunger games song is not eligible for the Oscars anyway as it wasn't the first song played in movie credits. But it is eligible for Globes. I hope Adele crushes).

teesharky

Looks like BA will hit the 900k mark next week. With 14k sold this week, the album has sold 878k. She needs to sell only 22k this week. With the discount and the CMAs, I believe she can pull it off. :)

awesome as Carrie just crossed 900k followers on twitter. Holding steady with her album sales. lol

teesharky

I'll never understand the Adele hype. Like. Ever.

Just as I will never understand the Taylor hype. Like. Ever. lol

ha ha

At least Adele sings on key! :) No seriously- she has so much soul in her voice and her songwriting is superb. She makes Taylor's songs look like pre-school poetry.

opry051008

^^ I want an Adele/Taylor duet.... I will never ever stay stay stay with someone like you because rumour had it and I knew you were trouble and now the sky has fallen on this holy ground and everything has changed.

allamericangirl8

Just as I will never understand the Taylor hype. Like. Ever. lol

ha ha

At least Adele sings on key! :) No seriously- she has so much soul in her voice and her songwriting is superb. She makes Taylor's songs look like pre-school poetry.

Well, neither do I. :p I don't get either female. They write the same types of songs. The only difference is Adele has a stronger voice.

Meh, I don't find her that soulful. Her voice stands out in a pop setting, but not in a soul setting. I don't mind her magnificent sales; I just don't get them.

teesharky

^ Adele would make Taylor look like a 10 year old trying to play dress up in her mother's clothes.

Those two voices would never ever ever blend well together. Taylor could never keep up with her... It would be hilarious! lol

Adele needs to sing with Carrie.

allamericangirl8

All your Adele justifications are "she's better than Taylor." x) Lots of people are better than Taylor, but they aren't going diamond any time soon. While we're comparing the two, though, I think Taylor writes better songs than Adele does. Now mind you, I also think Taylor writes worse songs than Adele does lol. :p I guess I could never be a judge on American Idol. I can't spot these megastars. I would've eliminated both of them before the live shows.

^^ I want an Adele/Taylor duet.... I will never ever stay stay stay with someone like you because rumour had it and I knew you were trouble and now the sky has fallen on this holy ground and everything has changed.

What the heck did I just read?