Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales, Blown Away, Week 26

teesharky

^ Taylor would have never even made it to the Hollywood rounds on Idol as it is all about singing. Her voice is horrid so they would have booted her without giving her a Golden ticket.

I think Adele writes much better songs then SWSRN. lol I just feel all of Taylor's songs sound the same, and all sound like a 12 year old preteen finding her first boyfriend, over and over and over and over again. lol

allamericangirl8

^ Taylor would have never even made it to the Hollywood rounds on Idol as it is all about singing. Her voice is horrid so they would have booted her without giving her a Golden ticket.

I think Adele writes much better songs then SWSRN. lol I just feel all of Taylor's songs sound the same, and all sound like a 12 year old preteen finding her first boyfriend, over and over and over and over again. lol

I would've let her through if she stayed on pitch, but she'd probably be gone first round of Hollywood rounds. She's never had two good performances in a row.

Eh, I listened to 19 and 21 a few months ago (and Skyfall when it came out), and I didn't think any of the songs were as good as Forever & Always, The Best Day, Never Grow Up, Enchanted, Last Kiss, Fifteen, Tied Together With a Smile, or Ours. On the other hand, I also didn't think any of the songs were as bad as Red, WANEGBT, Mean, You're Not Sorry, You Belong With Me, Today Was a Fairytale, Tell Me Why, or Picture to Burn. :p

Maybe I should give the albums more listens. I don't even remember what they sounded like. Just that I was bored.

clh_hilary

I plan to buy like 10 copies of Adele's new album as I really want her to CRUSH Red. No prisoners!

I am so stoked that her Skyfall song is getting lots of Oscar and Golden Globe buzz. I think it will sweep both for movie song. Sorry, SWSRN. lol (well, her hunger games song is not eligible for the Oscars anyway as it wasn't the first song played in movie credits. But it is eligible for Globes. I hope Adele crushes).

I honestly there's also a chance for ADELE not to even open with a million copies actually. After all them copies sold, "Skyfall" 'only' sold around 460k copies or so in its first two chart weeks (10 days), which is less than Katy Perry ("Part of Me" sold 410k copies in its first 7 days), Lady GaGa ("Born This Way" sold 950k copies in its first 10 days), Britney Spears ("Hold It Against Me" sold 410k copies in its first 6 days) with smaller eras. It's just like Rihanna. She's sold what? 50 million singles on top of a few million copies of albums, and "Diamonds" still couldn't reach #1 on iTunes for even one split second. So just because somebody sold well doesn't mean s/he gonna open big the next round. Especially considering SF is flopping at the moment.

But of course there'd be more hype for ADELE, but I suppose it heavily depends on the promotions she and her team are planning to do, and what style her lead single and album is in. "21" opened with more than 330k copies with a flopping (At that time, of course) "Rolling In The Deep" and a not-outstanding "19" project, only with words of mouth and decent promotions, so with the rights things aligning, she could very well even break Eminem's solo artist record but I just don't see her doing much because she may not do much promotions, and if she changes her style people may not like it, if she doesn't change people may not be interested anymore. It's difficult to sustain your popularity as a breakthrough artist with a different style of music, as we can see from examples such as Alanis Morissette, Norah Jones or even Usher and Nelly Furtado at the time. Keep in mind Usher did follow a Diamond album with a less than half a million opening even though his previous effort actually managed to do 1.1 million copies in its first week (So did Alanis, but that was a really different time so I don't think we should compare them.), so did Britney Spears, whose "Britney" opened with less than 750k copies after 2 consecutive Diamond albums. Or the Backstreet Boys, or Celine Dion.

But if you wanna buy 10 copies of ADELE to crash "Red" remember to buy them separately or in different stores. Soundscan tries not to count multiple purchases from the same person.

I think Taylor Swift won't get trashed on AI audition. She's not that bad, she's just really average and nothing special. She's just like a slightly worse Colbie Caillat who actually went for an audition to sing "Bubbly" and failed. The judges would be like, maybe you can work on strengthening your vocals but at the moment you're not exactly up to the bars of what we're looking for, vocally. And I don't think AI judges are the best ones in spotting talents - For the last decade plus they've only managed to get two real stars. Record labels are also often wrong of course (Warner predicted only 250.000 copies would be sold globally for Alanis' "Jagged Little Pill", which ended up selling 33 million copies; and Norah Jones to sell 60.000 copies of "Come Away With Me", which sold 22 million copies; or forcing Madonna to record songs that were not written by her, i.e. "Holiday", on her debut album and to release it before releasing her written works which turned out to be bigger hits: "Lucky Star" and "Borderline"), but they sorta have the mentality of try everything and everyone out, and some of them do have a quite good sense of spotting talents - Nobody but Jay-Z would've seen anything in Rihanna, for example. And the label head did feel Katy Perry would be really big despite several failed attempts from her and being relatively old.

judes

Carrie sold 14 k this week ?- solid number- I love how Carrie's albums sell on merit instead of hype, timely indiscreet kisses and Billboard propaganda, payola,set goal numbers,all processed with preservatives and red dye #2

Piercing Words

Carrie sold 14 k this week ?- solid number- I love how Carrie's albums sell on merit instead of hype, timely indiscreet kisses and Billboard propaganda, payola,set goal numbers,all processed with preservatives and red dye #2

This! She'll be around forever while others -cough-nomentions-cough- will see their career die once the fans grow up.

opry051008

I honestly there's also a chance for ADELE not to even open with a million copies actually. After all them copies sold, "Skyfall" 'only' sold around 460k copies or so in its first two chart weeks (10 days), which is less than Katy Perry ("Part of Me" sold 410k copies in its first 7 days), Lady GaGa ("Born This Way" sold 950k copies in its first 10 days), Britney Spears ("Hold It Against Me" sold 410k copies in its first 6 days) with smaller eras. It's just like Rihanna. She's sold what? 50 million singles on top of a few million copies of albums, and "Diamonds" still couldn't reach #1 on iTunes for even one split second. So just because somebody sold well doesn't mean s/he gonna open big the next round. Especially considering SF is flopping at the moment.

But of course there'd be more hype for ADELE, but I suppose it heavily depends on the promotions she and her team are planning to do, and what style her lead single and album is in. "21" opened with more than 330k copies with a flopping (At that time, of course) "Rolling In The Deep" and a not-outstanding "19" project, only with words of mouth and decent promotions, so with the rights things aligning, she could very well even break Eminem's solo artist record but I just don't see her doing much because she may not do much promotions, and if she changes her style people may not like it, if she doesn't change people may not be interested anymore. It's difficult to sustain your popularity as a breakthrough artist with a different style of music, as we can see from examples such as Alanis Morissette, Norah Jones or even Usher and Nelly Furtado at the time. Keep in mind Usher did follow a Diamond album with a less than half a million opening even though his previous effort actually managed to do 1.1 million copies in its first week (So did Alanis, but that was a really different time so I don't think we should compare them.), so did Britney Spears, whose "Britney" opened with less than 750k copies after 2 consecutive Diamond albums. Or the Backstreet Boys, or Celine Dion.

But if you wanna buy 10 copies of ADELE to crash "Red" remember to buy them separately or in different stores. Soundscan tries not to count multiple purchases from the same person.

I think Taylor Swift won't get trashed on AI audition. She's not that bad, she's just really average and nothing special. She's just like a slightly worse Colbie Caillat who actually went for an audition to sing "Bubbly" and failed. The judges would be like, maybe you can work on strengthening your vocals but at the moment you're not exactly up to the bars of what we're looking for, vocally. And I don't think AI judges are the best ones in spotting talents - For the last decade plus they've only managed to get two real stars. Record labels are also often wrong of course (Warner predicted only 250.000 copies would be sold globally for Alanis' "Jagged Little Pill", which ended up selling 33 million copies; and Norah Jones to sell 60.000 copies of "Come Away With Me", which sold 22 million copies; or forcing Madonna to record songs that were not written by her, i.e. "Holiday", on her debut album and to release it before releasing her written works which turned out to be bigger hits: "Lucky Star" and "Borderline"), but they sorta have the mentality of try everything and everyone out, and some of them do have a quite good sense of spotting talents - Nobody but Jay-Z would've seen anything in Rihanna, for example. And the label head did feel Katy Perry would be really big despite several failed attempts from her and being relatively old.

I don't think that judging Adele's sales on Skyfall in indicative of what her album sales will be. Skyfall is clearly a "bond song" in the style of Adele, not an Adele song. :)

I don't think Adele will even come close to the type of promotion Taylor does because it's frankly not her style. So on that basis, I don't think that she will have the big week that Taylor did. However, the big week is basically for bragging rights because Speak Now had a big week but it didn't come close to selling what 21 did and I'm pretty sure (although not 100% certain) that it didn't sell as much as Fearless either. I guess we'll see in the end how it all plays out but I think that Taylor was smart to go the pop route with this album because that's how she'll grow her audience.

opry051008

All your Adele justifications are "she's better than Taylor." x) Lots of people are better than Taylor, but they aren't going diamond any time soon. While we're comparing the two, though, I think Taylor writes better songs than Adele does. Now mind you, I also think Taylor writes worse songs than Adele does lol. :p I guess I could never be a judge on American Idol. I can't spot these megastars. I would've eliminated both of them before the live shows.

What the heck did I just read?

I hope your realize I was j/k about the duet. lol. Anyway I hate to be an ageist but I think the question of whether Adele is a better writer than Taylor may depend on age. I totally cannot relate to Taylor's song. Just to mess up the argument, Pink is one of my favorite writers. Her words are simple, meaningful, powerful and put to the most interesting mix of music.
smile.png

supercarriefan

I hope your realize I was j/k about the duet. lol. Anyway I hate to be an ageist but I think the question of whether Adele is a better writer than Taylor may depend on age. I totally cannot relate to Taylor's song. Just to mess up the argument, Pink is one of my favorite writers. Her words are simple, meaningful, powerful and put to the most interesting mix of music.
smile.png

They are only a year apart lol. I don't think it depends on age :p. Life experience may actually be the reason. Adele seems to have had things a bit tough at times whereas Taylor seems to have had everything handed to her.

opry051008

They are only a year apart lol. I don't think it depends on age :p. Life experience may actually be the reason. Adele seems to have had things a bit tough at times whereas Taylor seems to have had everything handed to her.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant age of the listener.

bluevelvet85

@Marie2011 Meek Mill isn't a band he's a rapper and it's only on the main chart at pop the deluxe version of Christina Aguilera's new album Lotus is at #1 and it's not due out for 3 weeks yet

pgk

Life experience and 'emotional/psychological/inherent' maturity.

JB172

^^ Why would people want you to say that?? Anyway, why compare only Carrie and Taylor when Taylor is outselling everyone from any genre right now. And Adele is outselling anyone that has anything to do with music right now.

Good thing for Adele she isn't a country artist otherwise people on here would say her numbers are fake too.

clh_hilary

"Skyfall" may not mean anything of course, but if it's a sign of the public tired of her sound then she might be in trouble. Big first-week are driven by hype more than other factors. Look at how Britney Spears' "Circus" opened with 504k copies with a less-than-million-copies-sold "Blackout" album!

Yes, "Speak Now" didn't sell close to "Fearless". They are around 2-3 million copies apart I believe.

Pi314CA

I'll post this here, although it quite doesn't belong here. The top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week is:

#1: One More Night
#2: Gangnam Style
#3: Some Nights
#4: Die Young
#5: Diamonds
#6: As Long As You Love Me
#7: Locked Out Of Heaven
#8: Too Close
#9: Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)
#10: Don't Wake Me Up

Please note that WANEGBT falls out of the top 10 due to the "completing the album" generating "negative" sales. Thus, clh_hilary was correct in that WANEGBT digital sales will be way down or even negative. If there was more "completing the album" than sales of the single, the sales for the week will be zero and the rest of the subtraction will be done in subsequent week(s).

Manchs

I'll post this here, although it quite doesn't belong here. The top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week is:

#1: One More Night
#2: Gangnam Style
#3: Some Nights
#4: Die Young
#5: Diamonds
#6: As Long As You Love Me
#7: Locked Out Of Heaven
#8: Too Close
#9: Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)
#10: Don't Wake Me Up

Please note that WANEGBT falls out of the top 10 due to the "completing the album" generating "negative" sales. Thus, clh_hilary was correct in that WANEGBT digital sales will be way down or even negative. If there was more "completing the album" than sales of the single, the sales for the week will be zero and the rest of the subtraction will be done in subsequent week(s).

That sucks. It would be so funny if she sold -114k this week lol

Pi314CA

Top 10 country albums per Roughstock:

LW TW Artist Album Sales TW Sales Total

NEW 1 Taylor Swift Red 1,209,000 1,209,000
1 3 Jason Aldean Night Train 116,000 525,000
NEW 9 Lady Antebellum On This Winter's Night 25,000 25,000
8 11 Little Big Town Tornado 21,000 293,000
4 15 Scotty McCreery Christmas With Scotty 18,000 59,000
25 20 Carrie Underwood Blown Away 15,000 879,000
27 24 Luke Bryan Tailgates & Tanlines 13,000 1,506,000
31 26 Hunter Hayes Hunter Hayes 12,000 314,000
5 29 Jamey Johnson Livin' For A Song 12,000 44,000
38 36 Eric Church Chief 10,000 1,108,000

allamericangirl8

smile.png

I did realize, don't worry. ;)