Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weekly Album Sales - "Blown Away": Week 31 (Alicia Keys #1)

Mezik

Carrie is the only country star with a million in sales. And only eight months.

Give her more credit, Carrie is the only country star with a million sales - In just a little over six months. Pop girls would die for her album sales. :D

clh_hilary

As previously reported, Alicia Keys' new album "Girl on Fire" is set to earn the highest debut next week on the Billboard 200 chart, with a No. 1 entrance likely. Industry sources suggest that the set, which hit retailers on Nov. 27, might sell between 145,000 to 170,000 copies by the end of the tracking week (Sunday, Dec. 2). "Fire" was the only major new release this past week that will sell a number that large.

Standing in Keys' way could be Taylor Swift's former No. 1 "Red," which sold 185,000 last week, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and Rod Stewart's first holiday set, "Merry Christmas, Baby" (117,000 last week).

The new Billboard 200 chart's top 10 will be revealed the morning of Wednesday, Dec. 5.

As seen in the past, Christmas album sales grow larger in the weeks following Thanksgiving, and Stewart's should be no exception. It's also not the only holiday set aiming for a top 10 rank next week.

After debuting at No. 9 the week of Nov. 9, Lady Antebellum's "On This Winter's Night" has spent the past four weeks between Nos. 11 and 19 on the Billboard 200. Aided by the single "A Holly Jolly Christmas," which vaults 26-5 on Adult Contemporary this week, the seasonal set could return to the Billboard 200 top 10 next week.

Also potentially on tap for a top 10 return is Blake Shelton's "Cheers, It's Christmas." If it reaches the region, the album from the coach on NBC's "The Voice" would mark its first week in the top tier, having so far risen as high as No. 14 in its first eight chart weeks. The set's "Jingle Bell Rock," featuring Shelton's wife Miranda Lambert, bows this week at No. 57 on the Country Airplay chart.

Along with Keys, pop/electro duo Timeflies could storm the top 10 with its EP "One Night." The Boston-born, now Brooklyn, N.Y.-based pair reached No. 4 on Heatseekers Albums a year ago with "The Scotch Tape."

On Nielsen SoundScan's Building chart (below), Keys' "Fire" ranks at No. 1, followed by Swift's "Red" (No. 2), Stewart's "Christmas" (No. 3), Phillip Phillips' "The World From the Side of the Moon" (No. 4) and Rihanna's "Unapologetic" (No. 5), which became her first No. 1 this week with sales of 238,000.

As for the rest of the Building chart's top 10, One Direction's former topper "Take Me Home" places at No. 6, followed by Lady Antebellum's "Night" (No. 7), Shelton's "Cheers" (No. 8), Timeflies' "One Night" (No. 9) and Kid Rock's "Rebel Soul" (No. 10).

Nielsen SoundScan Building Chart
RankLW
BB 200
ArtistTitle
1NEWAlicia Keys"Girl on Fire"
22Taylor Swift"Red"
36Rod Stewart"Merry Christmas, Baby"
44Phillip Phillips"The World From the Side of the Moon"
51Rihanna"Unapologetic"
63One Direction"Take Me Home"
719Lady Antebellum"On This Winter's Night"
818Blake Shelton"Cheers, It's Christmas"
9NEWTimeflies"One Night" (EP)
105Kid Rock"Rebel Soul"
The Building Chart reflects the first four days (Monday through Thursday) of SoundScan's tracking week (which ends Sunday) as reported by six major merchants: iTunes, Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Starbucks, Target and Anderson Merchandisers. Billboard estimates that they make up about 85% of all U.S. album sales.

Predictions for Alicia just keep going lower & lower...

clh_hilary

As a side note, I believe Scotty's Christmas album has been certified Gold with a mere 168.000 copies sold; while Blake I believe was certified Gold when the album was only at 58.000 copies in sales!

clh_hilary

Wow they must ship out alot for Xmas!

Surely. Well Blake Shelton is supposed to be a big seller & Christmas albums are expected to sell very well so retailers surely have confidence in me. Considering he's entering Top 10 this week they're not exactly far off anyway.

I'm not sure if that's the overshipping record, previously I've seen only Madonna's "Celebration" album going Gold with only 150.000 copies sold at that moment. But the main version of her compilation was a double album which means it's counted twice.

The record for the biggest difference in numbers should belong to Garth Brooks' "Double Live", which went 21xPlatinum despite having registered only slightly more than 6 million copies of actual sales on Soundscan (He literally pulled all the stops to make this over-certification happen). The actual biggest-selling Country album should thus be Shania Twain's "Come On Over" at 2xDiamond (20xPlatinum). But that one only has 15 million copies of sales recorded on Soundscan as well.

Honestly, I wonder if the overall sales increase last year has given retailers confidence in holiday sales this year. Last year we have very big Christmas sellers such as the album released by Michael Buble, but we did not hear of such over-certification last year. Noted that Taylor Swift's "Red" is being overshipped this year as well with a Triple Platinum certification going with more than 2 million copies of actual sales.

opry051008

^^ Blake's Christmas special air on Monday after the Voice so I expect his Christmas album sales to receive a huge bump and then an upward trend until Christmas However I don't think that any country act is going to surpass Rod Stewart this year for the biggest Christmas album seller of this season.

Pitocco

theoretically...can a label not just ship a million copies a week to retailers and just keep getting certified??

robinannhunt

theoretically...can a label not just ship a million copies a week to retailers and just keep getting certified??

Yes. They would have to sell it at a reduced price to get them to buy it or send it on consignment. It would work for a while.

teesharky

Another one of those yucky updates to mess with us. Lol

While I expect a big drop- surely carrie won't go from 70k to 12k? Lets hope they stocked up after the Black Friday sales. All the stores were cleaned out in my area.

Manchs

Another one of those yucky updates to mess with us. Lol

While I expect a big drop- surely carrie won't go from 70k to 12k? Lets hope they stocked up after the Black Friday sales. All the stores were cleaned out in my area.

It's a pretty normal update tbh :p She was selling 15k before, so I don't think she'll sell less than that :p She should sell just what she's been selling. Black Friday is over and we still have plenty of time for Christmas lol

utlovescarrie

None of the stores here had BA in stock after Black Friday. As a matter of fact I couldn't find a single one so I STILL don't have a physical copy. Might have to order it from Amazon. Wasn't there talk about Target getting a special release? Was that true or just wishful thinking?

Gator

^^ Target had them on sale for $7.00 on Black Friday. I haven't heard anything about a special release.

teesharky

It's a pretty normal update tbh :p She was selling 15k before, so I don't think she'll sell less than that :p She should sell just what she's been selling. Black Friday is over and we still have plenty of time for Christmas lol

yeah but 'christmas shopping has started already. Stores are PACKED. She should be selling more then before Christmas shopping season.

Gator

On the bright side, our Targets restocked! :)

I'm hoping to get to Walmart in the next few days, so I can at least see the inventory there. Hoping they are stocked! :)

clh_hilary

Yes. They would have to sell it at a reduced price to get them to buy it or send it on consignment. It would work for a while.

Apart from the costs of the albums shipped there, shops have to find a place to store the extra copies as well, so the label can't just ship however many copies as they want.