Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women in Country Music

Farawayhills

Hey Faraway! Are you familiar with Ward Thomas? I just found out about them yesterday and I've downloaded their album.

Sorry that I missed this post earlier - but I'm glad you mentioned Ward Thomas. They are twin sisters from Hampshire (the next county West to mine), and are one of the two leading young Country duos in the UK (the other being the Shires). The Shires have recently had rather more publicity (they shared the billing with Carrie at C2C), but Ward Thomas have scored a UK Country number one with their new (second) album. Both acts have been praised for putting a confident British spin on Country Music, which is neither too far into Pop, nor simply imitative of Transatlantic trends.

Aileen James has just posted a detailed review of Ward Thomas's new album, "Cartwheels", on her site, Queens of Country, which highlights the more memorable tracks:
Ward Thomas is reborn on second record Cartwheels - Queens of Country

She makes the point that it is more commercial, and closer to contemporary trends than their first album, "From Where We Stand" - which I think is generally true, though the influences on the earlier release were also quite mixed, and I wouldn't exaggerate the traditionalism.
This is an example of a single from the earlier album, which is closer to a more rootsy, "twang rock" sound, which includes honky tonk influences, and which differentiated them more sharply from the Shires.

Farawayhills

Aubrey Peeples (who played "Layla Grant" on the TV show "Nashville") has posted this cover of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery"

An "angel from Montgomery" is prison slang for a Governor's pardon, used in this song as a metaphor for an elderly person's escape from the repetitive routine of a drab life - I think it's impressive the way a young singer can feel so much of the emotion in this Alt Country classic. I hope she'll release an album of Roots songs one of these days.

Momin

Aubrey Peeples (who played "Layla Grant" on the TV show "Nashville") has posted this cover of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery"

An "angel from Montgomery" is prison slang for a Governor's pardon, used in this song as a metaphor for an elderly person's escape from the repetitive routine of a drab life - I think it's impressive the way a young singer can feel so much of the emotion in this Alt Country classic. I hope she'll release an album of Roots songs one of these days.

I find this so refreshing to come from Aubrey Peeples. Her character on the show was more pop-oriented and therefore the songs on the album by her were mostly such as well. In fact, sometimes I felt like her voice didn't suit some of the songs she did on the show. This video shows a completely different side to her and, I believe, a right fit for her voice.

(I admit I started believing her character on the show to be somewhat what she really was.)

Farawayhills

I find this so refreshing to come from Aubrey Peeples. Her character on the show was more pop-oriented and therefore the songs on the album by her were mostly such as well. In fact, sometimes I felt like her voice didn't suit some of the songs she did on the show. This video shows a completely different side to her and, I believe, a right fit for her voice.

(I admit I started believing her character on the show to be somewhat what she really was.)

I think she had one of the most interesting story arcs on "Nashville". I think the series creator, Callie Khouri, used the character to illustrate some of the points she wanted to make about the business - emerging from a reality show, she was exploited by both Juliette Barnes and Jeff Fordham, set up for a publicity-based marriage with another singer, and later given several postponements by Rayna James, giving her the impression that her promised album release was a low priority. All of this has echoes in the real music scene.

I think the music director, Buddy Miller was building a transition for the singer from the pure Pop of her start, and her role as an opener for Juliet Barnes, into a more Roots based singer with club dates and an album pitched to a more independent audience - hence the expectations of selling in the thousands, and the label's rather on-off attitude to promotion. In the last episode, it's mentioned that the album seems to be a success - although the character already feels her life is ruined.

The character's personal life was built around three relationships, which all proved unsuitable, and ultimately disastrous, for various reasons. A side effect of this story-line was to make the character unpopular with many viewers, which probably accounts for it being dropped, when the story was transferred to a channel more likely to play to interest in the main characters. I think Callie Khouri (and the real Nashville Mayor, who invested to save the show) had to make sacrifices in the story arc to let it continue - though I would have liked to see this particular strand go on.

But, in any case, Aubrey Peeples herself strikes me as a strong talent. In this Opry performance she tackles "Lost Highway" - certainly one of the most (and arguably the most), iconic song for traditional Country enthusiasts. Written in the 1940s by Leon Payne, a blind Texan singer, it became famous in a signature version by Hank Williams, which was influential on people like Bob Dylan and Townes Van Zandt (and ultimately, the Rolling Stones themselves). Again, it's quite a brave song for a young singer to tackle - and I like the way she blends a faithfulness to the lyrics, with updated touches in the vocal phrasing and music.

Momin

I suppose you have a better view of her character because I stopped watching the show at some point.

And I really loved this video!

Momin

This was one of my favourites from Eleven. I was surprised why she never released this as a single.

Momin

This was one of my favourites from Eleven. I was surprised why she never released this as a single.

Kizmet311

So, what is going on with Cam lately? Does she have a single out? I haven't heard anything since Burning House.

Momin

So, what is going on with Cam lately? Does she have a single out? I haven't heard anything since Burning House.

She released Mayday as the new single after Burning House and I think it had a fantastic video. Unfortunately, the single wasn't as successful (perhaps because it was another ballad). I believe she considered releasing Half Broke Heart after Mayday but it never was.

Kizmet311

Thanks. I had forgotten about Mayday, which I do like. I hope she has some more success in the future. I really like her album.