Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Grammys

clh_hilary

Billie Eilish now broke the youngest Album of the Year winner record, previously held by Taylor Swift (with Fearless at 20).

twaintrain

The Grammys were pretty much a train wreck. I normally enjoy them but the music this past year was terrible, IMO. I eventually had to mute it and just started watching YouTube. I miss the ‘90s.

simonplay

Rating are down, the smallest audience since 2008.

It did 16.5 millions this year and 19.8 last year.

It was pretty boring and I think a big problem is that this new generation can't sing or they doesn't care.

jaymiee

They need to change their voting process! Wish they had some sort of fan voted award, Carrie could win those at least lol

I watched the whole thing but was not impressed overall. I'm almost glad Carrie wasn't associated with it this year lol

DizzyDollyDee

They need to change their voting process! Wish they had some sort of fan voted award, Carrie could win those at least lol

I watched the whole thing but was not impressed overall. I'm almost glad Carrie wasn't associated with it this year lol

I agree it was a mess and waste of time - kept thinking it would get better and it just continued to be terrible!! Better luck next year!!

Farawayhills

One highlight for me was Keb' Mo' winning Best Americana Album, for "Oklahoma".
Keb' Mo' (full name Kevin Moore) has always struck me as a nice guy. as well as a talented musician, whose work stands at the crossroads of Country, Blues and Rock 'n Roll. He's accompanied on the album by some talented guitar and keyboard planning, as well as "sacred steel" musician, Robert Randolph.
(Any Dixie Chick fans on the board may remember him for co-writing "I Hope", probably about their last song, so far, to gain any widespread impact - it was nominated in 2006 for Best Country Song and Best Country Group Performance, though it didn't win on that occasion) Keb' has, however, won four previous Grammys for his albums.

'Hope' is, in fact a recurring theme in his work. He often tackles issues (which do tend attract Grammy votes), but he deals with them in a gentle, non-confrontational way. Two examples from this album are "Put a Woman in Charge" (a duet with Roseann Cash), and "This Is My Home". The former can be read as hinting at an electoral meaning (and some are taking it that way), but it is also a more general plea for a for a less aggressive view of life's goals, based on kindness and understanding.
The latter deals with immigration, with verses giving a Mexican and a Moslem perspective. But the concluding verse is the most moving, referring to the forced immigration of African-American ancestors. Here his optimism prevails "They sacrificed, then they paid the price, So I could live this wonderful life. And I know this is where I belong. This is my home"

The title track is a tribute to the State from which he draws much of his musical inspiration. It hints at the State's mixed heritage of Commercial and Alternative Country Music, with reference to Cowboys and Outlaws - but the main emphasis is on the racial mix that has been a big feature of the State's history. (The reference in the song to Greenwood, Archer and Pine is to streets in Tulsa marking off a successful African-American business section in segregation days - this was the scene of mass mob violence and murder in the 1920s -but Keb's take on the present emphasizes his vision of hope and harmony "When they go low, we go high in Oklahoma....Rain or shine, Oklahoma's gonna be OK")
The musical influence of the cultural mix in Tulsa is strong and far-reaching - you can also feel it, for example, in Carrie's current single (especially in the live performance versions).

Here's the lyric video of Keb's title track - and if you have time to listen, wait for Robert Randolph's long closing solo, which is just beautiful!

Farawayhills

I was also pleased to see that the awards for Best Song went to women, in both the Mainstream Country and Roots fields. (Radio, please take note!). They also spanned the generations. This was the haunting and technically brilliant Grammy performance, by I'm With Her, who won Best Roots Song, for "Call My Name". (I'm With Her is made up of Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz and Aoife 0'Donovan - three women who also have separate solo careers, and also appear with other groups, as well as forming this trio. Sarah Jarosz is in the middle here, and sings lead vocal - though she is equally known as a very wide ranging instrumentalist, across the string range)

Farawayhills

It meant a lot to me to see Tanya Tucker and Brandi Carlile performing together, with the winning song in Country, "Bring My Flowers Now" (They shared this award with Phil and Tim Hanseroth, Brandi's twin guitarists, who have been with her from the beginning. Brandi and the twins co-wrote all the new songs on Tanya's album - though this track is Tanya's only writing credit with them. Brandi also co-produced the album, with Waylon Jennings son, Shooter)

Both women have been among my top musical heroines - so both the performance and the wins were particularly welcome for me. "While I'm Living" is Tanya's first new album for 17 years - and I think it deserves to be considered one of the best releases of recent years. Tanya's hard living and sometimes controversial career has run the course of the stereotypes of Country Music careers - from making money for the Nashville machine with a string of varied and often powerful hits, to being derided by the Nashville machine for going too close to California and Rock 'n Roll, to being ignored by corporate radio, to resurgence as an Outlaw. The title of the album puts it well - I'm glad she finally got her Grammy recognition, before it was too late!

Words like "queen" are thrown about too readily - but if the Alternative Country sector has a current reigning "queen", Brandi Carlile would have a good claim. She seems to be everywhere, and her projects are dominating much of the critical acclaim in that sector. I have a;ways found her musically brave, innovative, a stylistic leader and generous to other artists, and I'm pleased that the Mainstream is increasingly recognizing her gifts.

I realize that the style of this performance would not be everyone's taste - but I think the sheer emotion and care-worn vocal say a lot about the things I most admire in Country Music:

Farawayhills

One feature of the Grammys that I find interesting is the recordings that they select to be included in their Hall of Fame. A 'recording' could be a whole album, or a non-single track, but singles seem to stand the best chance, and it has to be considered to be of "historic significance". It must be at least 25 years since recording to be eligible - so Carrie's SH songs would first be eligible in 2030. I would guess that BHC would stand the best chance - though they usually have to wait much longer than the minimum eligibility period for recognition as historic. (For example,"How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live", by Blind Alfred Reed was recorded in 1930, and has only just been picked!)

Altogether, over a thousand have been put into the Hall of Fame over the years, and there were 25 picked this year, spread over the genres

These were this year's main picks from Country artists: all have been regarded as standards, which have also been widely performed by other artists, often in varying styles: (If it's relevant, the Sony group seems to own the rights to three of these, and Universal one)

"I'll Fly Away" by The Chuck Wagon Gang (1949)

"I'm a Man of Constant Sorrow" by The Stanley Brothers & The Clinch Mountain Boys (1951)

"Pancho and Lefty" by Willie Nelson And Merle Haggard (1982)

"Walkin' After Midnight" by Patsy Cline (1957)

----

Even if Carrie might have a long wait, it would still be good, in my opinion, if she covered one or more of these, e.g . at the Opry, or on a future covers album. I'll leave aside the second one, as I think that's most unlikely for her.

"I'll Fly Away" is a well-known hymn, and might appeal to her. "Pancho and Lefty" is arguably Townes van Zandt's best known song - a great piece of writing, which combines pathos and sarcasm, in a storyline that's never fully revealed. Emmylou has performed it, but I think Carrie might only do so, if she wants to establish a bit of Alt Country cred at some future date.!

The most likely, in my opinion, would be "Walkin' After Midnight" - a song which straddles the transition from older forms of Country, to the 'Nashville Sound' - and, in that sense can be seen as a forerunner of today's Mainstream chart music. It was originally written in the 1950s as a Traditional Pop song (Traditional Pop draws significantly on Jazz and Blues elements). Patsy Cline was reluctant to perform it, but was won over. She recorded it in two versions. The earlier one (1957) is the one chosen for the Hall of Fame, and included stronger Country elements. Patsy's mentor, Owen Bradley, one of the main developers of the Nashville Sound, played piano on it, and Don Helms, who'd been in Hank Williams' Drifting Cowboys, played steel guitar.
The second version (1961) went more fully into the Pop-influenced Nashville Sound, with more plonky percussion and background chorus vocals (the latter now sounds more dated, in my opinion). If interested, you can compare the two styles in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gzthI-oltM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGI-HOQZBk

FanSince04

A very interesting perspective from Liz Rose. I thought most people, especially women, would be defending Dugan... she clearly does NOT agree with Dugan. Honestly, I couldn’t care less about Grammy’s or CMA’s anymore since it all seems to be rigged in some way or fashion. There isn’t a system that’s perfect, but I do feel there is some foul play going on behind the scenes of the Grammy’s, or Dugan simply wants to create an uproar for attention. Thoughts?