Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Single from Cry Pretty?

What will be single 4 from CP?

• Drinking Alone

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • The Bullet

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Low

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Ghost on the Stereo

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Avira

I think The Bullet will be the next single from the album.

Drinking Alone would be the best to release for commercial success, and Spinning Bottles is sonically what I am most into, but that recent tweet suggests that The Bullet will be next.

PRGuy79

I think it will be Drinking Alone, but there is no clear answer this era. With the lackluster radio response thus far, this next choice is critically important, and for that reason, it is kind of scary. I love The Bullet but fear it will be made into a controversial choice and ultimately hurt Carrie's career by alienating her from radio (even though the song does not take a political stance - it only highlights the emotional impact of gun violence). I have heard that once radio moves on from an artist, they rarely come back. I love Ghosts on the Stereo, but I wonder if it is too low-key to make the commercial impact we're hoping for.

This has been a difficult era, friends. Nothing seems to make sense anymore and gone are the days of guaranteed hits. I have been less than impressed with Universal thus far.

HuiZ

The Bullet will be made into a controversial song by the media if released. Absolute disaster for this era if that is the 4th single.

liz278

I don't know if this is a good place to question this, but I have seen several people on Twitter saying that UMG has dropped the ball again in regards to Carrie. Are they talking about singles, this single, the next one?

cmuf2011

If we get a 4th single I say End up with you I know it’s towards the end of the album and that last tracks don’t usually get picked but ok I haven’t really been paying attention to the chart run this era cause Universal is doing a lousy job when it comes to Carrie radio success this era I check it like once a month cause this era for the chart run hasn’t been exciting it been kinda of a let down. But IF the next single is released in September then the peak will be in like December/January in which there is Christmas and New Years in which people are known to propose.

I would love Low but CP seems to be the album where Carrie is calling the singles/ releasing the ones special to her. I wouldn't be surprised if the bullet, or end up with you are the final single. I think either would be a HUGE mistake but her label really doesn't seem to care or put in effort anyway so I don't think anything at this point will change that.

This era has been disappointing. It started with a bang but I feel all the effort was with CP and there has been nothing left in the tank for anything else. Is there no drive from her team anymore? They could be doing so much more even with just her social media but time and again there's nothing when they could be campaigning so hard.

Probably a controversial comment but I don't see her getting a EOTY nomination/ win from this era. Yes the tour is incredible (the best one yet) but is that enough?

Smokyiiis

I could actually see a video with Carries penchant for horror movies for GOTS that’s done thru Halloween.... lol
but I’m hoping for the saxy version of DA

DaisyTweets

I would love Low but CP seems to be the album where Carrie is calling the singles/ releasing the ones special to her. I wouldn't be surprised if the bullet, or end up with you are the final single. I think either would be a HUGE mistake but her label really doesn't seem to care or put in effort anyway so I don't think anything at this point will change that.

This era has been disappointing. It started with a bang but I feel all the effort was with CP and there has been nothing left in the tank for anything else. Is there no drive from her team anymore? They could be doing so much more even with just her social media but time and again there's nothing when they could be campaigning so hard.

Probably a controversial comment but I don't see her getting a EOTY nomination/ win from this era. Yes the tour is incredible (the best one yet) but is that enough?
Why isn't the tour enough? That's all Mr. Ego himself had when he last won it and took it away from Carrie(I still remember that night and how disappointed Brad seemed to be for Carrie). Besides she has much more going for her than just the tour. I dare say the name Carrie Underwood and all that that stands for and the attention her stellar reputation brings to country music is more than enough.

Why isn't the tour enough? That's all Mr. Ego himself had when he last won it and took it away from Carrie(I still remember that night and how disappointed Brad seemed to be for Carrie). Besides she has much more going for her than just the tour. I dare say the name Carrie Underwood and all that that stands for and the attention her stellar reputation brings to country music is more than enough.

Because it's never been enough in the past why would it be any different this year? If she can't win it when she's absolutely smashing it out the park why would she when we haven't even had a number 1 single this era and we are on single 3.

I really want her to get more than a token nomination but I have such low expectations of country music I don't want to get my hopes up.

Carrieroxmysox2011

Because it's never been enough in the past why would it be any different this year? If she can't win it when she's absolutely smashing it out the park why would she when we haven't even had a number 1 single this era and we are on single 3.

I really want her to get more than a token nomination but I have such low expectations of country music I don't want to get my hopes up.

There's alot of artists who get nominated for EOTY without a #1 single tho.....

There's alot of artists who get nominated for EOTY without a #1 single tho.....

Any of them female? Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but some people are acting like it's in the bag and the nominations aren't even out yet. She's been overlooked year after year.

I do however think this is why the label sucks. They seem to have all their eggs in the EOTY basket but I want the EOTY and the amazing mind-blowing era, not one or the other.

simonplay

Any of them female? Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but some people are acting like it's in the bag and the nominations aren't even out yet. She's been overlooked year after year.

I do however think this is why the label sucks. They seem to have all their eggs in the EOTY basket but I want the EOTY and the amazing mind-blowing era, not one or the other.

Miranda Lambert was nominated in 2015 for EOTY with her 2 singles at the time flopping hard, Little Red Wagon peaked at #16 and Smoking and Drinking peaked at #33.

But of course Miranda had WME so...

jaymiee

Drinking Alone for #4! I feel like it's the only right choice to keep the momentum alive this era. And performances at the CMAs and Grammys will slay!

If we get a 5th I hope Backsliding or Low

The Bullet and EUWY are good but not the right single choices to follow after the first 3

Farawayhills

Frankly, after the last two singles (which I don't think represented the strength and depth of the album very well), I'd be glad to see almost any other track released!

That said, I'm not as sold on "Drinking Alone" as many of you are. Although it has an interesting theme, which strikes a realistic emotional note, and adds some further variety to the image that Carrie projects in her songs - I'm not too keen on the choppy, semi-spoken vocal line in much of the song, which I don't feel exhibits Carrie's talents as a performer as well as some of the other tracks. Also, the mixture of Country tradition with progressive influences from General Music - which is characteristic of much of the album - could, in my opinion, be better shown by several of the other songs. This is probably a rather unpopular opinion - and I could certainly live with DA - but I do rather hope she looks elsewhere.

(Leaving aside "Cry Pretty", only because it's already been used) the four strongest remaining songs, in my opinion, are "Low", "Ghosts on the Stereo", "The Bullet" and "Spinning Bottles" - and whether we get one or two more singles, I'd like it, or them, to be from that group. (I do like "Kingdom" as well - particularly for its commitment, and strong build up of musical and vocal force as the song develops - but it is effectively the album closer (treating the Champion as really a bonus), and Carrie usually treats the closer as a special song, where she expresses a meaning close to her heart, but doesn't use as a single).

"Low", and "Ghosts on the Stereo" are both personal to Carrie, where I think she reveals inner feelings that go deeper in emotional realism than almost any of her earlier songs. Either would, in my opinion, do her considerable credit in stature as an artist. Of the two, "Low" is probably likely to be the more generally popular, and the one that gives her the greater vocal range. But both these songs come from a painful period in Carrie's recent life, and as we've already had "Cry Pretty", which expressed the turmoil of being in the public eye as an artist, regardless of feelings as a person, she may not want to choose another song with a theme that expresses such personal sadness.

That leaves the two more general "issue" songs, which again, I think, would raise many people's appreciation of Carrie as a mature and varied artist of depth. I actually think "Spinning Bottles" is the stronger, and more unusually themed song - and perhaps the best on the whole album - but it doesn't strike me as a song that lends itself to frequent repeat performance, and may be quite difficult to sing (perhaps, rather like "Forever Changed" in an earlier era).

So we come to "The Bullet". While I don't think the Dan Beeson tweet can be taken as necessarily definitive, I do think this is quite a sound bet - both for it's quality as a song, and the topicality of the theme, which allows Carrie to express a lot of emotional strength, without it being focused on her own life. When I first commented on the album, I mentioned the possibility that this song could have a similar implication for Carrie's career as co-writer Allen Shamblin achieved earlier for Miranda with "The House That Built Me". Yes, his songs can contain a political dimension (and while in THTBM, it was more oblique, and probably missed by many listeners, in TB it is more inescapable, for those who want to focus on it). But I don't see that as a crucially off-putting concern. The main focus of the song is on the lasting after effects of violence, and it doesn't take an explicit stance in apportioning blame, or in calling for any particular political response. Carrie is good at empathizing with people's loss, and her delivery is likely to stress the emotional effects, rather than the general climate of debate. Also, we should not forget that LW also began with a verse outlining the effects of a shooting (and Carrie herself co-wrote that verse). I do feel that that theme, beginning the song, may have affected the call out reaction to LW - but Carrie clearly put the importance of the theme first, and may well want to do so again. In my view, the rest of LW suffered from being too repetitive and generic to fully recover from an apparent partially negative reception from some listeners - but TB is much stronger in the lyrics dealing with the ongoing effects on families, and I think it will give her more scope to give a really impressive interpretation. It has to be said that any reference to this topic is potentially going to cause knee jerk reactions from some - but if we let that ruin a song's chances we would be losing a lot of positive value - and I think Carrie is too committed to her art to let that stop her. The album deserves a strong song, and while we have as yet no firm proof that this will be the one, it would neither surprise, nor displease me.

Hil

With all the amazing songs on Cry Pretty, I personally hope the bullet is not released. That would definitely make this era the worst in single choices especially when you have songs like Ghosts, Drinking Alone, That Song, Low etc.

simonplay

The only potential I see with The Bullet is the potential of ruining her career, people are to sensitive in this times with the guns and shootings, it would be a big mess.

maddkat

Staff member
^ it wouldn't... be a mess or ruin her career.

I can tell right now when single 4 is released if it isn't what the majority want we're gonna have a meltdown here. Just try to act like adults when/if it happens guys. Please.

simonplay

^ I don't have big hopes tbh, it's going to be the last single (likely) and after the mess of era that we had, I will be ok with whatever they pick.