Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Single from Cry Pretty?

What will be single 4 from CP?

• Drinking Alone

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • The Bullet

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Low

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Ghost on the Stereo

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Farawayhills

Well, the song they mean is "End Up With You" - but they seem to fall short of actually calling it a "single". They could be guessing - or they could have advance copy from the label. We'll have to wait and see!

EUWY doesn't seem to have figured much in fan discussion about singles. Dan Dugmore does some innovative work on pedal steel on the album - but it seems basically one of the most Pop influenced tracks.

If they follow Southbound with that song, I think the answer to the question "Is the Party Over at Country Radio?" is "not yet, if Capitol have anything to do with it!"

adam1995

It maybe.

Let's get it a chance if it is

We all think that Southbound won't get to #1 but it did so EUWY could too.

I know for me, it's not about what will get to #1, because often times now with country radio what gets to #1 and what deserves to be #1 are two different things. EUWY, is in the bottom tier of songs on this album, on an album full of top tier songs, that haven't been and won't get to be released. Makes me sad for the missed opportunities inevitably coming.

Last edited:

Countryfan2448

Southbound take 6 months to get to number 1 prior to that
Cry Pretty didn't
Love Wins didn't

So whatever next song is from Carrie it be the same way.

MSCarriefan

Basically they are just going to use the pre-released songs as singles like they did with Play On. Maybe that was planned all along but Carrie wanted Low at the moment that's why she sang it on Cohen

PRGuy79

I have to say: Nothing is predictable at country radio anymore - except that it will be difficult for a female artist, no matter what. So, I think we have to trust whatever the label chooses has been vetted and market tested to have the best chance at success. I never would have guessed that the epic "Cry Pretty" (both because it is amazing and because it was her highly-anticipated lead single on a new label) would have struggled on radio. I can't remember a time when it was so difficult to predict the right direction for next single. I hope that Capitol has done their homework and is ready to implement a stellar promotional campaign to give the era a fitting send-off with this choice.

adam1995

I have to say: Nothing is predictable at country radio anymore - except that it will be difficult for a female artist, no matter what. So, I think we have to trust whatever the label chooses has been vetted and market tested to have the best chance at success. I never would have guessed that the epic "Cry Pretty" (both because it is amazing and because it was her highly-anticipated lead single on a new label) would have struggled on radio. I can't remember a time when it was so difficult to predict the right direction for next single. I hope that Capitol has done their homework and is ready to implement a stellar promotional campaign to give the era a fitting send-off with this choice.

DA is an obvious fan favorite. I wouldn't really understand why they wouldn't send it out, but who knows right now.

countrymusicfan15

This makes me think DA will be showcased from the tour at the CMA Artists of the Year and then EUWY (it it’s indeed the next single) at the CMAs to promote it on radio

PRGuy79

I doubt the radio station knows the next single. I don't think they typically send it so far ahead of an official "impact date". It could be just a little random speculation for fun while they wait for confirmation. If, for some reason, they did have official confirmation, I'm sure they would be under a strict embargo for confidentiality until the label makes an announcement.

Kizmet311

I do like EUWY and it might go #1, but I would still prefer DA, Low, That Song, Ghosts, or Kingdom as the next single. Maybe Carrie got her picks in the beginning and now the label gets to pick what they think will chart/sell well. Who knows? Of course, I totally missed EUWY when I saw CPT360 in Cincy, because I had to take my daughter to the restroom. So maybe seeing it live next week will change my opinion. I still think That Song is far superior to EUWY, though, and should get the showcase on tour and the single treatment (if, indeed, EUWY ends up being a single).

I remember back in the Days of Cary (miss ya bro)and when we first started following Carries chart progress everything was so much more predictable... (At Least by Cary.. lol) It was BEFORE BRO COUNTRY or BBC for short.. Was Carries singles BBC better songs and more radio friendly or has BC become so prevalent now that even good songs by the woman of Country are affected? IMHO OUR GIRLS songs are just as radio Friendly as BBC but the industry is a lot more chauvinistic now then it was BBC... That’s sad but OUR GIRL holds their feet to the fire and keeps putting out great material... And now she is finally getting the credit for her incredible concert tours...She has more than earned the EOTY trophy and if they actually give it to her it will be a giant step in the right direction!!! Oh by the way to get back on topic... LOW is what I want released but I think DRINKING ALONE would make the best single... CHEERS!!

Last edited:

Farawayhills

I'd have to agree with those who've said that EUWY is not as strong a song as several of the highlights on the album - the lyrics are a bit generic (and if the chorus was on a male song, it would probably be criticized as another example of the "back road - good time" obsession). But I think there's more to this song, and, for me, that's mainly due to the innovative approach in the music. Although I'd have several other preferences, I do like this one rather better than either "Love Wins" or "Southbound". Carrie steps out of the more predictable box some would like to put her in, and she tries some definite experimentation with the music - something I admire in an artist (and it probably reflects the greater boldness that a co-producer role allows her.) It is more Pop-leaning than several of the other tracks - but that is also done in a more experimental way, rather than as a routine nod. Showing the Pop world what can be done with some innovative steel guitar sounds is just what I'd hope a progressive Country artist would attempt in an album track.

Whether it would go further and be an official single remains to be seen (I noticed the radio station were just calling it a "new song", and I'm wary about taking it as given as a single, as others have pointed out. Some songs are played spontaneously, and may even achieve a modest chart position, without label backing) It is, though, a Hillary Lindsey co-write, and she sings backing on this track - as she has done on every Carrie album. That may be a small clue that Carrie might want it to be featured.

Countryfan2448

Drinking Alone may bore people in the crowd (it may not since its a fan favorite)
Low may have People standing afterwards
End Up With You may have people dancing
The Bullet have people crying in the crowd
Backsliding is with a Guitar like Smoke Break was
Kingdom have people crying in the crowd
Ghosts on the Stereo (its the theme to what's happening at Radio)
That Song (Don't know what the crowd will think about it)
Spinning Bottles (Standing O at AMA's Last year)

But whatever the next song is, its going to be good regardless.

Just my 2 cents.