Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Single from Cry Pretty?

What will be single 4 from CP?

• Drinking Alone

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • The Bullet

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Low

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Ghost on the Stereo

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

maddkat

Staff member
Wat tweet about The Bullet is everyone referring to?

this insta post I think

QXLsao73.jpg

lolita55

I really want Low as a single. But I actually like Ghosts on the Stereo now. Which really surprised me because it was one of my least favorite songs on the album to begin with. So I would be happy with that as well and DA would be wonderful. But Low is the best song on the whole album.

carriefan14

I think - think, not 100 percent - that DA would do considerably well at country radio, like peak at #8 or #7. However I don't think it would be a No. 1 smash. I honestly think there will be no number one hits from this album, not even Southbound. Might as well hang it up if you are wanting No. 1 hits. That is no longer important to her career anyway.

It depends on what UMG wants out of the album. Do they want to squeeze as much commercial success and sales figures out of it? Then the choice would be DA, which probably appeals to the younger country audience who is requesting these "hookup" or breakup relationship songs. DA fits in the "drunk hookup" category, which a lot of young people are into those kinds of songs, but I personally hate them, and I don't see how DA as a single would do any favors for Carrie as an artist. It's not who she is at all. It's also not a whole lotta fun after the 5th listen.

Truthfully, I think Carrie is getting about a 90% say in what singles are being chosen from this era, and I think UMG, for whatever reason, is currently focusing on their other talent instead of really watching or caring about how this album is doing. So, I still think - fortunately - the last single choice will come down to Carrie. And, being who she is, I don't think at this point she will try to squeeze a number one hit out of the album just for the sake of trying to get a No. 1, which let's be real, is no longer guaranteed with any song that she will ever put out, this year or any year from now. It's just the reality of country radio today.

Sooo, with all that said, I think the top 3 choices for what Carrie may have planned are GOTS, Low, and The Bullet. All three for different reasons. GOTS, in my opinion, would actually be a really good pick, because it's still a "relationship" type song but the lyrics are really well-written, the vibe is very chill and only slightly sad, but also the female character is very strong. Kind of like in "Wasted" or "Dirty laundry" - she's okay with the breakup. I think GOTS would resonate with a very specific audience. Not a No. 1 hit, but I think it could peak in the top 12 with a cool video to boot.

"Low" is ear candy for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which because it pays homage to the old country sound - "Lo whoa whoa whomsome for youuuu" and Carrie blows it out of the water. However, I don't think it is really a "radio" song and I would be surprised if they released it. It's a big, big, big ballad, it's kinda slow, and kinda sad. But, we're moving into the fall weather, anything is possible. Plus, to do it big on the CMA stage like that - would be very cool to see. But we've already had "Cry Pretty", and the only proper music video for this is to show Carrie crying in a bath tub, and they've already done that with Cry Pretty (albeit it was in a shower), but still. I think because of the similarities to CP, it won't make the cut. (Agree with Faraway).

So, the only logical remaining choice is The Bullet. It's political, but it's spot on for what's going on in America right now. Gun violence is fresh on everyone's minds right now. It's got a moving message. It's very country. It's very, very Carrie Underwood in that it has a message, but it doesn't push politics one way or the other, it just states the message. Like TH or SITW. The music video basically writes itself. I say go for it.

Edit: uuum, also just found out that one of the guys who wrote TB - Shamblin - also wrote Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" - WHICH Carrie auditioned with on American Idol. Okay, that seals the deal. The Bullet is next lol.

Farawayhills

^^ A lot of realistic points in that post (and I do agree on the possibility of DA having a fairly quick "burn" for some listeners outside the immediate Carrie fan base).

On the question of UMG, there may have been a variety of reasons for Carrie leaving Sony - something as simple as feeling she wouldn't be a priority with Randy Goodman being one possibility. However, I do think that her reasons are very likely to have included wanting more control, and a desire to branch out into new musical directions (which this album exemplifies). Part of that may well have included giving herself other priorities than focusing on being radio's main female chart topper, at this stage in her career.

She would, in any case, have known that there would be risks in breaking an established promotional connection chain - but she may have wanted to regain Cindty Mabe's support, primarily for reasons connected with a desire to pursue a more varied and adventurous artistic path. Record labels are businesses, and will always give the most publicly visible priority to what they believe will currently sell and perform well. But there are many other ways in which their support can be important in an artist's career development - those ways may be less noticeable to the public, but can play a big part in a mature artist's choices.

jptexas

The Bullet will be made into a controversial song by the media if released. Absolute disaster for this era if that is the 4th single.

I agree, but she’s telling the truth. The bullet keeps on going and going and going •••••

jaymiee

A #1 smash hit! Would be her best radio single since Church Bells! The slayage is coming..

Agreed! This is exactly what she's been missing this era is this type of song! If she is trying to get away from this type then I will be so sad.

DA is like Church Bells meets CCA and it neeeeds to be a single

Farawayhills

I mean... goosebumps everywhere!

https://youtu.be/5UTah8NkN60

Carrie can win me over with most of her performances!

I think Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings (and perhaps George Strait) would have understood the blending of brass with the Rockabilly feel of the big bass fiddle - but I'm not so sure that today's radio would appreciate those retro touches (and I thought it was radio that people were banking on, in terms of it being a single?)

The album track, by the way, runs pretty well the whole gamut - from flat picking and dobro to electronic programming - but I don't think it catches the same atmosphere as this live performance

simonplay

Carrie can win me over with most of her performances!

I think Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings (and perhaps George Strait) would have understood the blending of brass with the Rockabilly feel of the big bass fiddle - but I'm not so sure that today's radio would appreciate those retro touches (and I thought it was radio that people were banking on, in terms of it being a single?)

The album track, by the way, runs pretty well the whole gamut - from flat picking and dobro to electronic programming - but I don't think it catches the same atmosphere as this live performance

Well it's a matter of taste I think, for me the album track sound as amazing as the live version. I can hear things in the album track that I don't hear in the live version, and of course the live version is a different version in the instrumental part. I enjoy both for different reasons, and I think they are perfect.

Country radio will play only "Southbounds" it seems and we don't have more of that in the album anyway. Drinking Alone is the closest option for a #1 left in the album. If they don't play DA , they for sure are not playing The Bullet or Ghosts.

maddkat

Staff member
do they know something or just grasping at straws?

@Z104Country

·
9h

Dump It? Dig It? New song from Carrie Underwood plays at 8:20 this morning with Dave & Deb! Tune in and weigh in for your chance to win stuff!

EGVZ0ZAWoAAMGM4

simonplay

^ I don't even want to think about it! Imagine releasing the 3 weakest songs as singles!

And worst, imagine Carrie performing EUWY the night she could win EOTY! haha! I can't picture that!

I like the song though.

adam1995

^ I don't even want to think about it! Imagine releasing the 3 weakest songs as singles!

And worst, imagine Carrie performing EUWY the night she could win EOTY! haha! I can't picture that!

I like the song though.

I completely agree! Please, please, please no. But it also said 8:20 am. Did it play? Does anyone know what happened?

Also, would a station in Utah get the information first, or the chance to premiere a new single first? Really hoping they just played an album track.