Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Album 6 Discussion: Writing Has Begun

Josh

Clock Don't Stop has a nice feel to it. The lyrics could have been a bit better. Also, Mexico has to be my favorite thing on her album I have no idea why it's her least popular song.

HuiZ

Clock Don't Stop has a nice feel to it. The lyrics could have been a bit better. Also, Mexico has to be my favorite thing on her album I have no idea why it's her least popular song.
Mexico, Renegade are such.... pointless songs. They only exist to showcase her vocals in an overly loud way imo, and in Renegade's case the interesting production choices.

Lyrics wise, the songs feel aimless and go nowhere.

CarrieAddicted

Well, since we are all being SO critic...
If Renegade is so "awful" as some claim, then so are Good Girl and Cowboy Casanova.
All three have "pointless" and meh lyrics... And all three only exist to showcase Carrie's vocals in a powerful production.
This trio, along with CDS, has Carrie's most lackluster lyrics so far.

I see them simply as fun songs to jam around. I love them all. Always have.
However, if I have to be very critic, then I have to say that their lyrics are VERY plain and simplistic. Lackluster, indeed.

Like, seriously? "Hey, good girl, with your head in the clouds. I bet I can tell you what you thinking about"? LMAAAAAO
Also: "you better take it from me: that boy is like a disease". LOL
Can it be any more... simplistic?
She can, and has done, way better than this.

simonplay

Not all the songs have to be full of emotions, masterpieces and winning Novel Prize lyrics!! Lol Carrie like all the artist can have catchy fun songs just to hear and enjoy and not over think about the song. I don't think that Carrie said "I will put these pointless songs here and there on my album" I think she know better than us how to make an album.

CarrieAddicted

Not all the songs have to be full of emotions, masterpieces and winning Novel Prize lyrics!! Lol Carrie like all the artist can have catchy fun songs just to hear and enjoy and not over think about the song. I don't think that Carrie said "I will put these pointless songs here and there on my album" I think she know better than us how to make an album.

EXACTLY!!!!!!
Like I said, I LOVE GG, CC, Renegade, CDS!! They are fun songs that make me feel good just because of their sound and production.
CDS' production, in particular, I find SO relaxing. Sort of organic? I don't know, I just love it.

She doesn't have to make masterpieces like SITW, BA, LTG or CCA with deep lyrics all the time.
Just throw a feel-good jam with simple lyrics and let us be happy.

rcramer

I soooooo agree... It is not all about lyrics...... Carrie is famous for her big voice and her big productions vocally......

Give me a great ballad with her big voice any day.... And some of her I guess what people here call pointless lyrics are much more fun to listen to and they do attract country radio listeners, reason for being the number#1 female on Radio.......

ChoctawCountyAffair

I'm CC and GG's biggest fan. They are so fun to sing along to.
My only problem with RR is that the theme is too similar to CC and GG. Carrie telling someone that the other person is no good for them. And the chorus is a big loud mess, but i really like the verses.

maddkat

Staff member
If Renegade is so "awful" as some claim, then so are Good Girl and Cowboy Casanova.
All three have "pointless" and meh lyrics... And all three only exist to showcase Carrie's vocals in a powerful production.

However, if I have to be very critic, then I have to say that their lyrics are VERY plain and simplistic. Lackluster, indeed.

Like, seriously? "Hey, good girl, with your head in the clouds. I bet I can tell you what you thinking about"? LMAAAAAO

but musically you can listen to both GG and CC. RR is just a big ole hot mess musically.
That chorus is so loud and sounds so disjointed it completely distracts for any enjoyment of the song.

Like I said, I LOVE GG, CC, Renegade, CDS!! They are fun songs that make me feel good just because of their sound and production.
CDS' production, in particular, I find SO relaxing. Sort of organic? I don't know, I just love it.

She doesn't have to make masterpieces like SITW, BA, LTG or CCA with deep lyrics all the time.
Just throw a feel-good jam with simple lyrics and let us be happy.

CDS & RR are in zero way feel good jams to me.I find their production annoying.Mexcio though completely empty lyrically does at least have Carrie's soaring vocals going for it.Yet I still skip it frequently.

Josh

Mexico, Renegade are such.... pointless songs. They only exist to showcase her vocals in an overly loud way imo, and in Renegade's case the interesting production choices.

Lyrics wise, the songs feel aimless and go nowhere.

This is maybe just my opinion only. Mexico embodies what the storyteller album is or should be all about. This song paints one of the most vivid pictures in my mind from the album, and could have had a movie level video. It showcases her amazing vocals as well as production. The latin sound is beyond perfect, and shows that Carrie can appeal to an even wider audience and her pronunciation of the Spanish words in in the song is.. attractive? It has the "bad girl" vibe that she usually has on every album. The lyrics aren't that bad to me as it tells the story and it could have been a crossover hit. A continuation of Somethin' Bad or another one of her songs that require her running off to Mexico.. maybe Church Bells if they found out what killed the rich man or CCA? But, it fits Somethin Bad as she says "blonde had a little too much fun, I'll be brunette". Anyway, maybe it's just me. The loudness of it is exactly what I'm looking for! Especially towards the end, I never expected it lol. I actually didn't care for it until August last year when it finally hit me how great it was haha. It isn't the typical country song I guess, but to me this is a song gone to waste.

Josh

GG and CC actually are pretty great. I like the darker feel to these songs. I never liked Cowboy Casanova for YEARS. But, that was because it was too.. heavy for me? It just sounded so odd compared to the first album. Idk, but I've come to really appreciate it over time. Good Girl is the same thing. I've learned to appreciate the rock Carrie even though it really was something that bothered me at first coming from her.

HuiZ

LOL...... Who says all songs need to be full of emotions and masterpiece lyrics? I think there is some overreaction to the word pointless here =p

Good Girl is one of her best uptempo songs. Clear, simple, fun and catchy. The song works, for me, because it has a clear direction and concept. This song is what I call a good jam.

Renegade, on the other hand... has a whole bunch of descriptions that sound cool, but by the end of the song, I still feel clueless about the character in the song. That's what I meant by "aimless/pointless".

PRGuy79

I know this is off-topic, but I just voted on this and Carrie is in last place - by quite a bit. This is a Billboard poll, so I would argue it is among the most important of any we would consider voting in. And since we all agree that Carrie is and should be a serious contender in the selection, I would think that we would want her to have a better showing when facing general music/popular artists. Let's kick this one in gear, team! : )

pklongbeach

I think RR is one of the glues that hold the whole "concept" together. It makes a clear musical motif of what you are about to experience with this album. Without it and Mexico you literally have a very odd disjointed collection of songs that have absolutely not relevance to each other. But with them, you are introduced to a woman who has many sides and has many demons and many emotions that you hear stories about and stories from. That is how I see this album. Its basically the sordid tales of a woman who has lived quite a bit and has some advice and antidotes to share.

You remove RR and Mexico and very little of this album makes any sense at all from the perspective of a storyteller telling stories. With them, it is a wild ride from the old west!

teesharky

^Agree. I love RR and Mexico. Never understood the hate.

For me- a big disappointment the last few album eras have ended so fast with just 4 singles.
Feels like we wait forever fir the new era and then it's over so fast. Miranda and Luke etc always get more singles so their eras go longer. We seem to spend more time waiting for the album then actually enjoying the era as it goes so fast.

Hope the new label gives us more singles finally. Luke is on UMG and he just got 6 singles and the record for most no1s on an Robin. Carrie could have had that record long ago with label support.

lizcarlo

I hope we get more singles as well. There were some awesome opportunities for great singles on Play On, Blown Away and Storyteller it annoyed me they didn't take it.

CarrieAddicted

All I know is that I want my agressive and ferocious Carrie back

giphy.gif

CarrieAddicted

I remember watching the 2016 New Year's Eve medley and being even more sure just how impressive is the difference between soft (SmB/Heartbeat) Carrie and ferocious (BHC) Carrie.
It's as if she's a different person. The moment she start walking that stage and showcasing her true vocals in BHC is like water changing to wine.

SmB/HB is not her. Sorry, my opinion. It's as if she was trying to please those old Nashville country critics. Ugh

Josh

I remember watching the 2016 New Year's Eve medley and being even more sure just how impressive is the difference between soft (SmB/Heartbeat) Carrie and ferocious (BHC) Carrie.
It's as if she's a different person. The moment she start walking that stage and showcasing her true vocals in BHC is like water changing to wine.

SmB/HB is not her. Sorry, my opinion. It's as if she was trying to please those old Nashville country critics. Ugh

ugh. I liked HB very much lmao. Although it seemed to have been released at the wrong time. With the wrong video. SB on the other hand..I appreciate that she did something country though.

To be honest, she should maybe take a detour and do a whole bunch of these angry, ferocious songs. Maybe a rock album.

Kizmet311

^Yes, you are a bit late...three years, lol. That series is dead in the water right now. I don't think it's every made it past the script stage.