Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Album 6 Discussion: Writing Has Begun

ethelu

Heartbeat was one of two songs produced by Zach Crowell (who also produces Sam Hunt - hence the link to that collaboration.) Zach's other Carrie song was "Relapse"

I think it was only fair to include a single from each of the producers - but, personally, his songs weren't my favourites on the album. I certainly admire the steps Carrie was taking to include more personal and intimate songs - but the ones I most admire are LINLYA (a far stronger song than Heartbeat, in my opinion), and, as a different type of personal song, which shows vulnerability and introspection, TGYTIA .

I love TGYTIA so much. I still think it would have made a great single.

jaks_weyn

As an example of his Contemporary Country work, this is a song busbee co-wrote with Hillary Lindsey and Aimee Mayo (both of the latter also collaborated on Carrie's "Wheel of the World")

busbee co-produced "The Fighter", so he presumably had at least some contact with Carrie for her part in that song.

Speaking personally, I would agree with DazzledByCarrie - I'd prefer a producer like Jay Joyce, who works in a little more Roots and Alternative influence (busbee's recent work with Keith Urban and Maren Morris shows too much Pop influence for my taste). But, that said, I do think he could certainly be in the running for a production role on Carrie's next album - particularly in light of the global aspect mentioned in connection with the move to Universal. His work has had major chart success across the World (including the UK and Japan)

busbee was the one who flew out to record Carrie's part in the studio so they got to work with each other already.. I won't be surprised if we see co-writes with him later on

jaks_weyn

I liked The Fighter at first, only because it sounded different. But, I don't really like it.. something was off. I would be annoyed if she worked with him. I would like her to maybe work with a bigger producer like Max Martin/Shellback and make something amazing with them. But, idk. The way this last era has been has me not hoping for much, but I can dream.

Quitter was written and produced by Max Martin.. ; )

Jay Joyce's work were great IMO.. but I wondered if he added more production in the songs since he needs to meet halfway with the other producers.. But so far I like that the production is toning down a bit.. Hopefully, we'll have one that will have a very simple production.. maybe just a guitar or piano.. the demo for Oklahoma Wind is a perfect example.. We can even see the difference in So Small... i like the rough demo way more than the studio version mainly because Carrie's voice shined and and the production is more (IMO) "friendly".. AOMM, IWALY, OL, SWISLY, LINLYA are good examples from her ballads..

Also more of these please: DYTAM, RM, Wasted, BA, SITW, DL

maddkat

Staff member
^ How can anyone not like Chaser? It is nectar for the gods. Simply brilliant in every way.

This!!

Agree what you said about DYTAM earlier.I love that song and they never gave it a chance. She sang part of it on the first leg of the tour then they just dump it.It should have been given a proper slot and not when everyone was marveling at the stage taking off & flying.

carriefan14

^ When I saw Carrie play Baton Rogue in 2012 that was the first time they played it for an audience. Interestingly, DYTAM is one of the moments I remember most vividly.

She was just sitting on a chair, rocking back and forth, and the instruments were very acoustic. They should have kept it that way through the tour, because that is a very acoustic, mellow song. It was overwhelmed by the flashy lights/ floating stage.

carriethequeen

I liked The Fighter at first, only because it sounded different. But, I don't really like it.. something was off. I would be annoyed if she worked with him. I would like her to maybe work with a bigger producer like Max Martin/Shellback and make something amazing with them. But, idk. The way this last era has been has me not hoping for much, but I can dream.

I think it would be amazing if she worked with Max Martin and Shellback again! They did Quitter and it's country-pop perfection (not too pop sounding like the fighter is)

I've actually been jamming to Play On all week during my commute, and I really love that album. I love the fiddle productions on Quitter and This Time, they're just happy-sounding, fun songs. Since Storyteller didn't really that sound, I'd love to hear that again. and SWISLY and WCIS are pure gems, too. ugh I could go on about how there were so many better single choices than MS, but anyways...lol

txacar

Loved PO and agree about Quitter and This Time. WCIS was my favorite on the album. I listen to PO a lot, second only to SH.

During my errands today, Sirius again treated me to Chaser and played Who Are You twice. Two great songs that I appreciate so much more after hearing them on the radio.

HuiZ

I don't really get the love for Quitter, tbh. Yeah, it's cute and catchy.... but it's so much like early Swifty style. A little too high school/college-ish for Carrie.

Josh

Quitter was written and produced by Max Martin.. ; )

Jay Joyce's work were great IMO.. but I wondered if he added more production in the songs since he needs to meet halfway with the other producers.. But so far I like that the production is toning down a bit.. Hopefully, we'll have one that will have a very simple production.. maybe just a guitar or piano.. the demo for Oklahoma Wind is a perfect example.. We can even see the difference in So Small... i like the rough demo way more than the studio version mainly because Carrie's voice shined and and the production is more (IMO) "friendly".. AOMM, IWALY, OL, SWISLY, LINLYA are good examples from her ballads..

Also more of these please: DYTAM, RM, Wasted, BA, SITW, DL

I know quitter was, but I didn't really care for it. I want something huge like they do with pop stars.

Josh

For me I would have liked a choice between the songs CB, Relapse, LINLYA, CDS, HB (with a way better video).

I didn't like WINKIAW as much for some reason..it's a good song though overall, but could have been better. I also don't like CCA as much, but I appreciate she did something bluesy and seemed to have fun on tour with it. I didn't like DL. Production is good but the lyrics are sometimes awkward IMO.

HuiZ

For me I would have liked a choice between the songs CB, Relapse, LINLYA, CDS, HB (with a way better video).

I didn't like WINKIAW as much for some reason..it's a good song though overall, but could have been better. I also don't like CCA as much, but I appreciate she did something bluesy and seemed to have fun on tour with it. I didn't like DL. Production is good but the lyrics are sometimes awkward IMO.
I find the lyrics for CDS waaaayyyy more awkward lol.

CarrieAddicted

This is what I posted on the previous thread about the next era.

It's crazy how opinions and personal preferences can largely vary.

Well, I prefer Mainstream music. I do hate indie/folk, or whatever you wanna call it, music.
When I first got here on the forum, I mentioned that I love Hip-Hop/Urban Music, so I'm used to big beats and sound, and that's what I like.
Carrie has been the exception to me. She's my second favorite artist (after Eminem), but she's country. How odd that I love her, huh?
But her country has always been mainstream country, with big productions etc, so I love it.

So, I want her to continue to make mainstream country songs - and actually release them as singles. Big productions with loud sound - songs that allow her to invest in stage production and performances.
Whether it's a banger or a ballad, I want mainstream sound.

And you know that's what she likes too. *wink*

If she invests in a less-mainstream sound, I'll be really frustraded, but I'll support her regardless, because I love her beyond her music. I love her as a human being.
Will I be extremely frustrated with her choice? Yes, but I'll still be there.

Apart from the sound, I want:
solely-written songs by Carrie;
fun songs that are easy for people to relate (in the veins of GOOTT);
love songs;
a couple of duets (one with a country artist, the other with an all-genre artist);
new producers (mainstream, *wink*)

I also want:
a real marketing plan for the album. A proper one, well thought and coordinated;
the label to invest beyond the laughable mediabase chart crap they love (invest on Billboard!)

Breaking down my post:

I also want:
a real marketing plan for the album. A proper one, well thought and coordinated;
the label to invest beyond the laughable mediabase chart crap they love (invest on Billboard!)

Well, she's now with Universal, so regarding the Marketing plan, I think she now has what she deserves. I'm confident.

Universal has a team that knows how to deal with the current climate in the music industry. They have modern and specific MKT plans for each of their artists. They know how their fanbases consume music.
Take a look at this:
With Second Album Not Yet in Sight, Sam Hunt Embraces Being a Singles Guy

It's amazing how they now how to deal with the streaming thing. Something Sony could never.

Plus, they are willing to cross over their artists:
It's crazy how opinions and personal preferences can largely vary.

Well, I prefer Mainstream music. I do hate indie/folk, or whatever you wanna call it, music.
When I first got here on the forum, I mentioned that I love Hip-Hop/Urban Music, so I'm used to big beats and sound, and that's what I like.
Carrie has been the exception to me. She's my second favorite artist (after Eminem), but she's country. How odd that I love her, huh?
But her country has always been mainstream country, with big productions etc, so I love it.

So, I want her to continue to make mainstream country songs - and actually release them as singles. Big productions with loud sound - songs that allow her to invest in stage production and performances.
Whether it's a banger or a ballad, I want mainstream sound.

And you know that's what she likes too. *wink* [/QUOTE]

Continues to be my #1 wish/priority.

I want Mainstream Country Pop at its best. Loud, big beats and productions. Songs/singles that make her invest in big performances.

I would love if she finally released her pure pop songs as singles (Chaser, Relapse, That's Where It Is, Starts With Goodbye etc). I want her to come back in a HUGE way.

Apart from the sound, I want:
solely-written songs by Carrie;
fun songs that are easy for people to relate (in the veins of GOOTT)
love songs
a couple of duets (one with a country artist, the other with an all-genre artist);
new producers (mainstream, *wink*)

Not much to add here. I want all of this.
Collaborate again with Mike Martin and Shellback. Maybe The Neptunes (Pharell) too...
And since Carrie has already collaborated with Hip-Hop producers like Mike Elizondo and Ne-Yo, I would LOVE if she collaborated with Mike Will Made-It for a LOUD and uptempo song. I would FAINT.