Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Album 6 Discussion: Writing Has Begun

maddkat

Staff member
^ a song if I remember correctly Carrie had on hold before giving it up

Hillary has written some great song, some of my favs ( Every Storm Runs Out of Rain, Girl Crush before it was grossly overplayed, the gorgeously recorded Oh,Love, and of course many on Carrie's cds) so I'm fine with Carrie writing with Hillary again for cd 6.

Josh

This is odd for a Carrie fan, but I never actually listened to Oh Love until earlier today.. It's maybe the only Carrie song I never heard. I cannot believe I've avoided such an amazing song lol. I never cared to listen to it because it was an older single with Brad Paisley that I for some reason never gravitated towards. But.. Carries voice is so perfect, sweet etc. in this song... If she writes anything, I'd love a song like this.

teesharky

^ Oh Love is so great it got a Grammy nom
without even really trying. Lol not even a radio single and no promo.

Farawayhills

Hillary also co-wrote Taylor Swift's "Fearless", along with Liz Rose. I think it shows an aspect that's sometimes overlooked when discussing songwriters - they know the style of the person they're writing with, and can adapt accordingly.

Sometimes a particular relationship develops, which leads to a long and successful co-operation - which has been the case with Carrie and Hillary. It doesn't imply that all the songs will be similar in theme, structure or tempo - but it does tend to lead to the two artists knowing each others' preferences and capabilities well, which increases confidence and rapport (even when a third or less familiar writer is also involved), and can lead to a stream of songs which, while varied, nevertheless suit the performing artist very well.

I expect Carrie will use a variety of new songwriters (just as she did on "Storyteller") - but I'd still expect some familiar names to crop up again, with Hillary almost certainly being strongly represented.

pklongbeach

I continue to be interested in her and her team keeping feelers out for songs that are written by someone(s) where the song itself was the driving force and therefore it is an amazing song all on its own (BHC)(JTTW). It is equally important to tape into the artistry that is already out there than to focus solely on "making your own".

HuiZ

I continue to be interested in her and her team keeping feelers out for songs that are written by someone(s) where the song itself was the driving force and therefore it is an amazing song all on its own (BHC)(JTTW). It is equally important to tape into the artistry that is already out there than to focus solely on "making your own".
What's even more important is that I hope to see UMG truly pick the best single choices, even when it's not cowritten by Carrie. There's no point leaving the best songs buried in the album with general public not knowing its existence.

twaintrain

My biggest gripe about the Storyteller singles wasn't necessarily the songs but the order. It seems fairly obvious that either CB or DL should've been the first single. SB didn't reflect the album IMO. Of course, I am still not happy that CCA wasn't a single.

Farawayhills

I realize this will never likely happen. Am I the only one who would love to hear Carrie sing this kind of piano driven songs

She's a beautiful mood singer.
That style, I would call Progressive Folk music (showing influence from modern classical music). In some respects it parallels, vocally, what some artists are doing, instrumentally, in Progressive Bluegrass.
As an experimental album track, I think the dreamy, ethereal mood could benefit Carrie in a couple of ways - firstly this type of music has a definite following in Europe (that singer is Scandinavian), and secondly, it could demonstrate her versatility and attract listeners who have reservations about the powerful vocal style and heavy production that's she's best known for so far.
I think, though, that if it were to be adopted, that style would only be an album track, and might not fit well into a concert programme, as it would be a significant change for the two audiences (Country and Power Pop) that have probably formed the core of her existing listeners.

That said, I think it would benefit Carrie to go for a track that did showcase her softer, more dreamy and reflective side - along the lines that she explored in "Forever Changed", for example. Something more like that might suit her own voice more, and could demonstrate versatility without being quite such a departure.

Carrie plays piano, and a well chosen piano backing could work well with her voice. This occurred to me as an another example, by an English singer, who works in both adult Pop and Country and has attracted notice in Nashville, of a type of song that might show a different side of Carrie, but arguably still leave scope for her to show her vocal gifts, without involving too radical a shift in stylistic direction.

killerqueen

Wow Lucie Silvas! That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. She had a few hits here in the UK in the 2000s and they stayed in my regular rotation for a long time after. Must check her out again, I'd forgotten all about her! :)

carriethequeen

^ a song if I remember correctly Carrie had on hold before giving it up

Hillary has written some great song, some of my favs ( Every Storm Runs Out of Rain, Girl Crush before it was grossly overplayed, the gorgeously recorded Oh,Love, and of course many on Carrie's cds) so I'm fine with Carrie writing with Hillary again for cd 6.

Wait you're referring to American Honey right? I didn't know that!! That's certainly one that got away... (its ok though because Lady A does it so well, but that could've been a big hit for Carrie)

Carrie wrote a few songs with the guys from Lady A, I would love to hear those or have her collaborate with them again

rainbow1

She's a beautiful mood singer.
That style, I would call Progressive Folk music (showing influence from modern classical music). In some respects it parallels, vocally, what some artists are doing, instrumentally, in Progressive Bluegrass.
As an experimental album track, I think the dreamy, ethereal mood could benefit Carrie in a couple of ways - firstly this type of music has a definite following in Europe (that singer is Scandinavian), and secondly, it could demonstrate her versatility and attract listeners who have reservations about the powerful vocal style and heavy production that's she's best known for so far.
I think, though, that if it were to be adopted, that style would only be an album track, and might not fit well into a concert programme, as it would be a significant change for the two audiences (Country and Power Pop) that have probably formed the core of her existing listeners.

That said, I think it would benefit Carrie to go for a track that did showcase her softer, more dreamy and reflective side - along the lines that she explored in "Forever Changed", for example. Something more like that might suit her own voice more, and could demonstrate versatility without being quite such a departure.

Carrie plays piano, and a well chosen piano backing could work well with her voice. This occurred to me as an another example, by an English singer, who works in both adult Pop and Country and has attracted notice in Nashville, of a type of song that might show a different side of Carrie, but arguably still leave scope for her to show her vocal gifts, without involving too radical a shift in stylistic direction.

It says we can't hear it in my Country.

pklongbeach

As we start to hear the reviews come in for Tin Man and they fawn over a pretty simple song with a pretty thin concept, I wonder if Carrie and her team are not taking the opportunity to release some of her stronger more subte songs to the public as opposed to always releasing the "big numbers".

Carrie always has such thoughtful solid slow tempo offerings on her albums and as the public seems to think that Miranda has a lock on those types of songs and gives her great credit and award-love for them, I just can't help getting frustrated that something like Tin Man will very likely be recognized with noms for single and song of year, but a song like Forever Changed never receives even a backwards glance...........

It just frustrates me..... I am venting now......!

teesharky

Yes Wine After Whiskey and the love guru ballad on ST would have been lovely singles. But my biggest frustration will always be DYTAM not being a single lady era. It was radio ear candy and perfect.

Chaser Relaose CCA Mexico etc are all outstanding single choices too.