Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Idol XIII

pklongbeach

too many guitars , they all sound the same strumming away with their affected voices
This!
There seems to be this new affectation to the way young "mostly white" people are singing that is supposed to sound alternative-folk-coffeehouse-vibe. And it was adapted by a few singers in the last 10 years to very good effect.
But I start to feel like people are "applying it" to their voices to gain the same result. And it sounds "played out".

Also, it gets used to imply a style or "ablility" that was coined by someone else but is simply being used as a rues to hide simple flaws in the voice.
Much like R&B singers increasingly picked up "runs and characterizations of style" that were not really useful or neccessary but "implied" a sound similar to a Whitney or Mariah. There are very few black singers left who do not infuse this into their singing completely without reason except that they think they are supposed to sing that way. They just think that is how singing sounds!

I digress, ha ha ha....

Its getting anoying now with white singers who are basically doing the same thing with these odd flips and trills at the ends of notes. Its a cretch that hides the fact that their voices are not all that interesting to begin with. Sometimes Harry and Keith pick up on it, and sometimes they buy it hook line and sinker.
J-Lo is completely oblivious to it cause she actually things it "is" the natural way they sing.

JB172

Carrie trivia question on AI tonight.

The question was which song did Carrie sing during "Hollywood Week" has the same name of a movie that Harry Conick, Jr was in?

The two answers were "Independence Day" and "Memphis Belle"

jimshoe

The booting of people at the airplane hanger was kind of mean.

At first I thought it was mean(and it still was) but the numbers they mentioned made it a little less mean.
We started with 212 and 52 sang at the hanger. Of those 52, 32 were sent home leaving 180 left.
Then after the singers sang on the stage they said of the 160 who sang 104 got through.
This tells me the 20 that survived the hanger didn't have to sing on the stage the next day basically making the hanger day1A and the stage day 1B.

pklongbeach

The only thing I did not like about the Hanger was that it really spotlighted that they sent some pretty poor singers to Hollywood.
Even 200 out of all the auditions they heard, this can not possibly be the best of what you heard. No way!
So why send them though? And why say no to others who are so good?

I believe the reason is they are choosing their top 20 from the start, and it really don't matter if you come in and blow them away with your singing or not. They have a formula and a plan and only a certain demo is going to fit into each slot of this formula.
Bad plan!
It makes for alot of less-than singers coming along who don't stand a chance. And it makes for a top 20 that America can already tell are not the best singers you heard.

The other obvious formula they use, that always bothers me, is they only use the names of the people "they" want you to remember. So it just seems so unfair and awkward for the others in the line that get no attention at all. Not even their name mentioned.
IF you have ever put your heart and soul on the line for an audition and knew they weren't even listening you would understand. Its just not even respectful in the world of auditioning.

Oh well. They already know who they have chosen. So I guess this is just all so we can watch you bait us for favorites.
I guess the problem for me is, I don't have one.
There are some good singers, but at this point I am getting real concerned.

I hope thy are still withholding the wild cards.

maddkat

Staff member
So far Idol has not shown a single distinctive person. Not one who could stand above the others ,or hold their own in the industry.Most of the ones they've shown have a tendency to mimic other artist a bit, without having a real voice of their own.

I sure hope they have a few they're keeping under wraps but I feel that won't be the case.
Same old Idol

and that bus thing was mean. There was no reason not to tell those kids one way or the other before they got on the bus.
What purpose did that serve?Except to show what the new producers feel is 'entertainment'.And if thats it the season is doomed.

and please - get rid of the instruments!

pklongbeach

I agree the bus gimmick was unncessarily mean.

And stunts like that make the judges look and sound silly when they egg the singers on to pour themselves out on the stage.
I have a great deal of respect for Harry, but I hope this process does not change my view.

I already know he is participating in the "artificial reality" of it all. And I know that is his job. But it makes him look like a bit of a shister when he is trying so hard to convince everyone that this is your moment, when they already know they are going to stick these people on a bus and roll them out of town without them knowing their fate.

JB172

So far Idol has not shown a single distinctive person. Not one who could stand above the others ,or hold their own in the industry.Most of the ones they've shown have a tendency to mimic other artist a bit, without having a real voice of their own.

I sure hope they have a few they're keeping under wraps but I feel that won't be the case.
Same old Idol

and that bus thing was mean. There was no reason not to tell those kids one way or the other before they got on the bus.
What purpose did that serve?Except to show what the new producers feel is 'entertainment'.And if thats it the season is doomed.

and please - get rid of the instruments!

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but everyone who is going to be in the Top 30 has been shown.

Claire2004

The booting of people at the airplane hanger was kind of mean.

Agre. I thought they decided not to be mean this season when they lessened the number of joke auditions shown during the previous episodes. But now I realized they just replaced it with another form of meanness.

JB172

Agre. I thought they decided not to be mean this season when they lessened the number of joke auditions shown during the previous episodes. But now I realized they just replaced it with another form of meanness.

If they wanted to eliminate people they were on the fence about they could have at least let them stay one night in Hollywood and then the next day do what they did at the airplane hanger and I wouldn't have anyone problem with that at all, but to not even let them leave the airport area was a little harsh.

pklongbeach

Harsh, and pointless except to create an excrutiatiing moment for them so we could watch.

I am just not interested in that.
People being sent home is difficult, its hard reality time.

They don't have to whip them also.

pklongbeach

And one sidenote from lastnight:

I really got frustrated when J-lo commented about the one guys song choice of "If I were......".

Guys have sung girl songs a million times and vise versa.

So the fact that she was not just making comments about it, but that she actually showed distain I thought was a very strange and unneccessary reaction.
Had the song meant nothing but him liking the melody and really tearing it up, that would be one thing.
The fact that the song had meaning to him and she refused to allow that moment to become obvious because of her preconcieved notion, made her look incompassionate and cold. And not very artistically aware.

I just thought it was a weird reaction to something that happens on the idol stage constantly. And for her to respond so egregiously was odd and offputting.

maddkat

Staff member
^ well I think JLo is probably all those things.And not the sharpest tack on the board either.

I didn't get her reaction to that either.She mustt have had a minor meltdown hearing Carrie sing Yesterday on the Emmys.

opry051008

I was curious about the changes to the Hollywood round so I tuned in last night. I'm really glad that the focus was on the talent and not the judges. And there sure was a ton of talent. It looks like they'll have a really great group this year. Idol will never be the same but I'm glad to see Idol get back to basics.

I just love they way they throw Carrie stuff in there whenever they can. lol.

^^JLo built a multimillion dollar empire from nothing. She's not a very good actress but she's had success as an actress. She's not a very good singer but she's had success as a singer. She's over 40, which usually marks the end of someone's career in the entertainment business but she's still managed to keep herself relevant. So she's definitely one of the smartest knives in the drawer. When it comes to making "Stars" however, even record labels struggle to create them so it's not surprising if JLo and her Idol co-judges don't have any better insight. Imao, there's still only one man with the insight and the power to create a star and it's Simon Cowell.

Last edited:

JB172

I was curious about the changes to the Hollywood round so I tuned in last night. I'm really glad that the focus was on the talent and not the judges. And there sure was a ton of talent. It looks like they'll have a really great group this year. Idol will never be the same but I'm glad to see Idol get back to basics.

I just love they way they throw Carrie stuff in there whenever they can. lol.

^^JLo built a multimillion dollar empire from nothing. She's not a very good actress but she's had success as an actress. She's not a very good singer but she's had success as a singer. She's over 40, which usually marks the end of someone's career in the entertainment business but she's still managed to keep herself relevant. So she's definitely one of the smartest knives in the drawer. When it comes to making "Stars" however, even record labels struggle to create them so it's not surprising if JLo and her Idol co-judges don't have any better insight. Imao, there's still only one man with the insight and the power to create a star and it's Simon Cowell.

I really think that if Selena wasn't killed, she very well could be what J-Lo is today, she had the total package and was far more talented than J-Lo is.

Starring in the Selena movie is what sent J-Lo into being a superstar.

As for AI, there are quite a few people that I like.

Girls - Emily, Jena, Kenzie, M.K. & Majesty

Guys - C.J., Dexter, George & Maurice

maddkat

Staff member
What is the point of America voting for the last male in the top 15
if the judges will most likely just turn around the next week and not let him sing?
or will they let him sing no matter what just to make it look like America really has a say?