Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2012

Grace_Of_God

Jane Eyre-So, I know this came out at the beginning of the year and really isnt in contention for anything big but I finally watched it. Wasnt bad, typical period piece. Itll probably get nods for costuming and art direction. The acting was solid.

epicamends

Just saw Anonymous. That was, uh, interesting... Not really my kind of movie, but at least it kept my attention.

eliefares

LOL I read this but only the head and neck part and I was like "Wow what happened to Elie?" :eek: I thought they were doing to you those examns, I was scared for a moment.

I dont know how I'm going to do to watch all these movies you are talking about, this job of mine is taking my whole life and time to watch movies (or to do anything actually)

if they were doing those stuff to me, I wouldn't be here talking to you :p we literally disarticulated the guy's head off his neck and then bisected the head. Straight out of a horror movie. Except the guy was originally dead and embalmed.

As for movies, I'll be watching The Ides of March on Tuesday after my exam. I also "found" The Help and I'll be "finding" Drive soon. There's also "One Day" I need to watch. Ahh, so many movies and I'll have time. :cool:

Grace_Of_God

^ dont you love when you have time?! Im so happy I finally have time. Tell me how Ides of March is! thats on my list of ones i really want to watch

sam_vzla

^ dont you love when you have time?! Im so happy I finally have time. Tell me how Ides of March is! thats on my list of ones i really want to watch

I wish I had an a appropiate little face to comment on this lol

I watched MoneyBall yesterday (I was surprised it was in theaters here already). I really liked it, and I'm not a big baseball fan or anything, and I think that helps because I didnt know how it was going to end, someone that knows a lot about baseball already knew the end lol. Brad Pitt does a good job, but I dont think he should get the Oscar for this. I think he was better on Babel or Benjamin Button.

AIgrl06

To say that I enjoyed Melancholia would be an understatement. It was absolutely one of the best films of the year so far for me; the last scene alone gave me goosebumps. I would love to see it show up at least in some tech categories at the Oscars (Cinematography, anyone?). I don't, however, get the love for Kirsten Dunst here. Yes, it was definitely a very good performance, in my opinion it was probably Dunst's best performance, but she's just completely out-acted by Charlotte Gainsbourg, who was phenomenal. If I were filling out a ballot Gainsbourg would absolutely be near the top of my Best Actress list. As others have said, Keifer Sutherland was quite good here, but not awards worthy. This is one of those films that I'll cross my fingers for come Oscar season, but I'm not expecting any big nods for it. Definitely my favorite Lars von Trier film.

AIgrl06

I hope I don't give you too great of expectations, Elie, lol. I will say that I liked the second part of the movie much, much better than the first half, even though I did like the first half a lot. So even if you don't like the first half that much, keep going 'cause it gets better. :)

How spoilery is that review, Elie? I'm trying to keep away from them this season, haha.

teesharky

To say that I enjoyed Melancholia would be an understatement. It was absolutely one of the best films of the year so far for me; the last scene alone gave me goosebumps. I would love to see it show up at least in some tech categories at the Oscars (Cinematography, anyone?). I don't, however, get the love for Kirsten Dunst here. Yes, it was definitely a very good performance, in my opinion it was probably Dunst's best performance, but she's just completely out-acted by Charlotte Gainsbourg, who was phenomenal. If I were filling out a ballot Gainsbourg would absolutely be near the top of my Best Actress list. As others have said, Keifer Sutherland was quite good here, but not awards worthy. This is one of those films that I'll cross my fingers for come Oscar season, but I'm not expecting any big nods for it. Definitely my favorite Lars von Trier film.

I am so glad you liked it! :) It was so strange at first, but then once the actual story began it was really interesting. The directing was great.

I think Kiefer did well too-- but as you said, it was not awards worthy because he didn't really have much meat to his character. It was sort of a secondary role. But he did well.

I guess I enjoyed Kirsten's acting the most because I had never seen her that good before. I like her but she never struck me as more then an average actress before. But in this role, she really knocked it out of the park. Her sister (Charlotte Gainsburg) was good too as you said, but I guess I was focused on Kirsten so I really didn't pay attention to her as much. But you are right. She was good.

eliefares

I hope I don't give you too great of expectations, Elie, lol. I will say that I liked the second part of the movie much, much better than the first half, even though I did like the first half a lot. So even if you don't like the first half that much, keep going 'cause it gets better. :)

How spoilery is that review, Elie? I'm trying to keep away from them this season, haha.

Well, I don't tell the twists of it. But the movie is pretty predictable. I suggest you read it after you watch the movie, just in case :p

Grace_Of_God

^ Ill wait till i see than too.

Cars 2-Alright, Im putting this in the thread cause ill probably be up for the Animation category. That being said, itll probably be the first time in a long time Pixar wont win when nominated. I might be bias because I actually didnt like the first Cars either. I feel it misses some endearing quality that all the other pixar movies have. This movie was just okay for me. I just dont care for it.

AIgrl06

I really wanted to see In Time as well. I remember hearing the premise and just thinking "That is actually really awesome!" I'll still probably see it eventually, but I'm not rushing out to the theater, lol.

I plan on seeing Moneyball within the next couple of days. ;)

eliefares

^ I'm going twice to the movies next week. One time to watch Breaking Dawn. Yes, HORRIBLE.
The second time will be to watch an interesting looking Lebanese movie called "Rue Huvelin" which translates as "Huvelin Street."
The premise of the movie is about the student movement against the Syrian occupation of my country (which isn't recognized by anyone) between 1990-2005. In 05, we had huge demonstrations that led to them retreating (almost as big as the ones in Egypt but you know they're much much much more heavily populated). Interesting times.
So Huvelin Street is where one of the country's leading universities (Universite Saint Joseph) [French system] is located and from which the student movement started.

AIgrl06

^That sounds really, really interesting. I hate how we don't get the majority of foreign films here in America. And the ones we do get we have to search really hard to find in a theater near us.