Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2012

AIgrl06

^Woah! It does look good. I wasn't expecting that, lol. Charlize Theron owns. She is going to be an insane Evil Queen. I love how she said "Lips red as blood," and they cut to a shot of Kristen Stewart's light pink lips, baha. I think I'm just in love with fairytales in general, so I'm sure I'll really dig this one. There's another Snow White coming out next year, too... I'll probably see both.

I. Absolutely. Loved. A Dangerous Method. For full disclosure, I'd like to point out that this is totally my kind of movie. I'm absolutely fascinated by psychoanalysis and anything to do with Freud and Jung.

All three of the main leads did a great job as did the actress who played Emma Jung, whose name escapes me right now. Viggo Mortensen was incredible as Freud; he just completely disappeared into the role. I completely forgot that I was watching Mortensen--always a good sign. Knightley played hysterical quite well at the beginning of the film, I though. Yeah, it was over the top, it was uncomfortable to watch, but you know, a person with hysteria is going to be over the top and difficult to watch. I also think the trailer was misleading in the sense that Knightley really only plays crazy for the first fifteen minutes of the film, then she's very subtle and understated like the rest of the characters. But the brilliance in her performance is you can still see the underlying emotions and you can tell at points of the film that she wants to revert back to her old "insane" self. Fassbender was very subdued here, as Jung. It's unfortunate he won't get any awards attention for this, but it's not the kind of role the Academy would go for even if he didn't have Shame. It's not showy enough; all of his emotions are very understated, he's only outwardly expressive in one scene that I can think of, and that lasts about five seconds.

I'd be thrilled if this film got Picture, Director, Screenplay, at least Actress and Supporting Actor, Costume and Score nominations. Realistically, I think it'll only get the last two, maybe Screenplay and mmaaayybbee Actress, but I think that's a big stretch. Either way, loved the movie. I want to watch it again.

sur_crazy4carrie

J Edgar apparently doesn't live up to the hype that preceded it. Most reviewers are praising DiCaprio's performance while criticizing the structuring and flow of the movie. I still want to see it but I'm disappointed that it hasn't kept it's buzz alive.

AIgrl06

^I read that and I'm disappointed too. I'll probably still like the movie 'cause I tend to like historical dramas, but I have a feeling Clint Eastwood's past his time. I mean, I liked Changeling and Gran Torino, but then Invictus I was meh on, and I just flat out hated Hereafter.

AIgrl06

^Hahaha, that Green Lantern thing is all kinds of awesome.

They missed an opportunity with the Harry Potter one. Come on, now, put your biggest acting chance on the poster (Alan Rickman) not Hagrid. I think the critics need to really, really get behind Harry Potter if it wants that Best Picture nomination. Other than that, nothing too interesting about those posters. Still love Elton Gnome. :D

teesharky

^ Agree. Why on earth would they put Hagrid on the poster? lmao

I saw J.Edgar and I loved it. I think the critics are being unduly harsh. Was it Oscar winning worthy? No. But Leo Dicaprio's performance was GREAT. He really nailed it and his makeup was flawless.

I think Leo deserves a nomination at least, even if the movie doesn't get one.

teesharky

^ PS-- how come Soul Surfer didn't submit themselves for anything? Not that I am expecting a single nom for the movie-- but still. They should at least try, shouldn't they?

teesharky

^ The movie looks interesting as well but obviously politically biased. But that's ok, it's my kind of politics :p

For a change of topic, accio oscar :D
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 Begins Oscar Campaign « A Separate State of Mind

lol awesome. I hope the sheer willpower of the fans can do something.

Something tells me that Harry Potter will definitely get a Golden Globe nomination for Best Picture, but I am not sure about the Oscars. Maybe though-- since 10 movies get in now--- HP has a chance.

eliefares

^ HP will definitely get a nom. As we get closer to the end of the year, I can't think of ten other movies that are more worthy, to be honest. The only way it won't get a nod is due to elitist snobbism of voters.

epicamends

Ahh I really need to start watching movies. I watched every single nominated movie for the Oscars last year (at least, all the ones in the bigger categories), and watched them all in like a 2 week period. It was hard watching that many movies in such a short timeframe! I need to start earlier this time around.

I need a list of some sort, movies that I should definitely watch, maybe watch, etc. Suggestions?

AIgrl06

^Hmm, well The Descendants opens up this week. And I think that's going to be the big movie of the year/Best Picture frontrunner. :)

I saw J.Edgar and I loved it. I think the critics are being unduly harsh. Was it Oscar winning worthy? No. But Leo Dicaprio's performance was GREAT. He really nailed it and his makeup was flawless.

I think Leo deserves a nomination at least, even if the movie doesn't get one.

That makes me happy. I like historical dramas so I was always hoping it'd be good, and I'm glad to hear that even if it's not Oscar worthy, it's not a complete dud, like, um, Hereafter, lol.

^ PS-- how come Soul Surfer didn't submit themselves for anything? Not that I am expecting a single nom for the movie-- but still. They should at least try, shouldn't they?

Nobody submits themselves for the Oscars. Voters just put down their top choices in each categories. No submissions, etc.

^ HP will definitely get a nom. As we get closer to the end of the year, I can't think of ten other movies that are more worthy, to be honest. The only way it won't get a nod is due to elitist snobbism of voters.

I thought they changed the process? If I'm not mistaken, anywhere from 5 to 10 nominees can get into Best Picture, as long as they have a certain number of #1 votes on the ballots (I can't remember the percentage... 5%?). That's what sort of worries me about Harry Potter this year... that it won't get all of those #1 votes it needs. I think the critics and Warner Bros need to push it to give it a good shot.

Saw Carmage and really enjoyed it. It's very funny and the actors give some great performances here. I especially loved Christoph Waltz's performance... and Kate Winslet's as well. You know, now that I think about it, I liked John C. Reilly's too. Not so much Jodie Foster, I couldn't stand her character, although I guess that was the point? Haha. I would love to see this get a SAG Ensemble nod, but I'm really doubting that will happen. I was thinking about the different categories yesterday, and there are maybe two Supporting Actor performances so far that I've really enjoyed, so I would love to see Waltz nominated (Even though let's be serious here... his performance is LEAD. They're all LEAD.). The movie is very simple, very short, and very enjoyable.

I watched A Separation as well, and I thought it was absolutely incredible. I'd heard great things about this movie but wow, I was absolutely blown away. The actors who play Nader and Simin (Peyman Moaadi and Leila Hatami--yes, I had to look 'em up, lol) were completely phenomenal, and in a just world would get Best Actor and Actress (Maybe Supporting? Close call.) attention. I know very well it won't happen, but it would be really fantastic. The characters are so rich, the script is so good (Or it seems that way to me), and the plot is really interesting. As someone who's not overly familiar with Iranian cinema, I've seen two Iranian films this year that as of now both make my top 10 for the year. That's pretty incredible. Unfortunately, Persian is not a language I've acquired to say the least, lol, so I did have to sit through a couple of hilarious subtitles in A Separation, but it was well worth it. If you're not someone who is subtitle-phobic, definitely check this out--heck, even if you don't like subtitles, this movie will hit you emotionally. It's a great, great film. Top 3 for me so far this year.

teesharky

^ wow I had no idea how the Oscar voting worked. I assumed each movie would submit themselves and do For Your consideration videos--- so I assumed Soul Surfer would do one. lol

If you like history, you will love J Edgar. I had no idea about one thing about J Edgar that came out in the movie--- still not sure it is true or just a rumor that the movie played on. But I don't want to ruin it for people yet.

Grace_Of_God

I thought they changed the process? If I'm not mistaken, anywhere from 5 to 10 nominees can get into Best Picture, as long as they have a certain number of #1 votes on the ballots (I can't remember the percentage... 5%?). That's what sort of worries me about Harry Potter this year... that it won't get all of those #1 votes it needs. I think the critics and Warner Bros need to push it to give it a good shot..

youd be correct.....its 5 to 10 this year....which reminds me.....can anyone even name 5 so far they think deserve a best picture nom??? Harry Potter, Midnight in Paris (i dont even know if this will get one but personally id want it to), annnndddd LOL. I just remember last year when we loved ALL 10. It makes me appreciate last year so much.

Anyways, Moneyball is now "available" so ive been trying to find time to watch that this weekend. Ive been watching alot of movies but none that would be "award worthy" just alot of the superhero ones i missed this summer and stuff

teesharky

I saw Breaking Dawn today. :) Definitely not Oscar worthy of course-- lol-- but I really enjoyed it. I think the new director, Congdon I think, has vastly improved the quality of the movies.

eliefares

I saw Breaking Dawn today. :) Definitely not Oscar worthy of course-- lol-- but I really enjoyed it. I think the new director, Congdon I think, has vastly improved the quality of the movies.

You're the first and only person to like it. Everyone else I know said it was horrid. So yes Tee, let's try to keep crappy movies with no award chances out of the discussion :p

In other news, Lebanon's submission to the Oscars won Best Screenplay and Best Music at the Stockholm Film Festival :p