Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2012

bigbluegrl23

Does Harry Potter actually have a shot at Best Picture? For some reason I just can't see them giving it to that, as much as it deserves it.

it definitely does. if it doesnt, it would be an obvious blantant bias and snub. thats all, because there are very few movies that I have seen so far that qualify as even being superior to Harry Potter if any. There certainly arent 10 movies that are better, or even 2 or 3 at this point. If this was last year, i'd say itd be tougher bc the movies were phenom, but I would still justify it getting the nomination. No other movie had the universal acclaim AND the INCREDIBLE commercial success to go with it. in general, it deserves a nom just as a thank you from the industry for all the money it brought in. But when a film that goes over a billion also receives the acclaim that it did, how can an industry justify not giving it the win, let alone the nomination? Sorry if this is seeming like a rant, which it is. Its just not directed at you haha. Do i expect a best picture win? prob not, although are there really any other movies that stand out at this point? but I certainly would be thrilled with a win, and would be appalled if it werent nominated.
Becca

sam_vzla

it definitely does. if it doesnt, it would be an obvious blantant bias and snub. thats all, because there are very few movies that I have seen so far that qualify as even being superior to Harry Potter if any. There certainly arent 10 movies that are better, or even 2 or 3 at this point. If this was last year, i'd say itd be tougher bc the movies were phenom, but I would still justify it getting the nomination. No other movie had the universal acclaim AND the INCREDIBLE commercial success to go with it. in general, it deserves a nom just as a thank you from the industry for all the money it brought in. But when a film that goes over a billion also receives the acclaim that it did, how can an industry justify not giving it the win, let alone the nomination? Sorry if this is seeming like a rant, which it is. Its just not directed at you haha. Do i expect a best picture win? prob not, although are there really any other movies that stand out at this point? but I certainly would be thrilled with a win, and would be appalled if it werent nominated.
Becca

I think a nomination should happen, especially now that nominations can go up to 10. However I'm not expecting the win, I mean Avatar had the commercial success and critical aclaim (I think?, I guess it had because it was nominated for the Globes, Oscars...) and didnt win, so anything can happen.

The Help is very good, I really liked it. Viola Davis does a great job, I could see her nominated for this. If she gets nominations I guess it would be in the Supporting Role Category, even though she was almost the lead character of the story. To be honest I could see Bryce Dallas Howard getting some love at the Globes too, maybe not the Oscars.

The movie could get a slot at the Oscars too, depending on how good the other movies are, by the way I cant remember but by this time last year the future nominees were already out? It seems so late already, almost december, and I havent see some wOW movies yet.

epicamends

I just read an interview with Michelle Williams about the Marilyn movie. I really want to see it now. Anyone seen it yet?

AIgrl06

I want to see Marilyn, too. I'm going to see it with a friend whenever it comes to my little hometown, lol.

Mild spoilers ahead?

So... I have a new favorite movie of the year. And that movie is Hugo. I saw this in 3D with my little sister and we both absolutely loved it. It really affected me, and definitely made me want to go back and research some early cinema. I think you'll love this, Hannah, it's all about film. Anyway, I think Ben Kingsley did a phenomenal job, and I think he's my #1 right now for Supporting Actor. I'd also but Chloe Grace Moretz on my ballot for Supporting Actress. I'm usually not big on child actors but I think she did a great job. Asa Butterfield, the little boy who played Hugo was good as well, just not as good as Moretz, lol. Anyway, this film better blow up the tech awards. I thought it's Cinematography was absolutely stunning. It used 3D beautifully (I didn't get a headache, and I usually do in 3D movies, hah). Costumes were impeccable, Art Direction wonderful, the score was good (though admittedly I didn't think it was amazing). And finally, Martin Scorsese. I really, really hope he gets a Director nod for this. Probably my favorite film from him other than GoodFellas... and that's really saying something for me. The last half of this movie is simply a masterpiece.

teesharky

^ so glad to hear hugo was good! I want to see that this weekend!

I love Scorcese so it will be cool to see what he can do in a children's movie.

teesharky

^ Agree about Harry Potter deserving at least to be nominated at both the Globes and Oscars. I really want the entire cast to attend the awards season so we can send them all off with a bang! :)

I would love to see Harry, Ron and Hermione on the red carpet. :)

Grace_Of_God

I want to see Marilyn, too. I'm going to see it with a friend whenever it comes to my little hometown, lol.

Mild spoilers ahead?

I didnt read your spoilers hahaha BUT just tell me...better than Midnight in Paris??? LOL cause thats still my favorite movie of the year....

SO im back from vacation and getting down to business...in the next 3 days Im finally going to watch J.Edgar, 50/50, and Moneyball....because theyre all available now haha

AIgrl06

^Very, very close, but I think it slightly edges out Midnight in Paris. And I don't know how spoilery my paragraph is. It would've spoiled me, but I had never read the book and had absolutely no clue what the movie was about in the first place. And I definitely hear you, this week I plan on watching 5 different films (I'm off Friday, wee!) so let's get to this!

Anyway, I suppose today is the official start to the season. The New York Film Critics' Circle gave out their awards

Best Picture: The Artist
Best Director: Michael Hazanavicius (The Artist)
Best Actor: Brad Pitt (Moneyball; The Tree of Life)
Best Actress: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
Best Supporting Actor: Albert Brooks (Drive)
Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Chastain (The Help; Take Shelter; The Tree of Life)
Best Screenplay: Steven Zaillian & Aaron Sorkin (Moneyball)
Best Foreign Film: A Separation
Best Non-Fiction Film: Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Best First Film: Margin Call
Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life)

Guess what this means? I really need to watch Moneyball and The Tree of Life, lol. Both are available but I just haven't gotten around to it. Looks like Moneyball might be more of a player than I originally thought it would be. An Oscar for Brad Pitt, finally? And this award for Meryl Streep makes The Iron Lady jump about 10 spots on my 'most anticipated' list, haha.

Grace_Of_God

^ well ive already seen Tree of Life (gag) but I think I said it would get a play for Cinematography so im not surprised. And I planned on watching Moneyball today. So yay!!! ahahah Im not doing as bad as I thought I was originally.....only a couple weeks till Globe noms, then we can see how much catch up we really need!

Grace_Of_God

50/50- ahhhhh i finally watched it hahahahaha i mean its no big award contender or anything but after waiting for this movie for over a year and a half i finally got to see it lol. I still love JGL. The movie was simple like i expected and of course it's nice to see one of my girls, Anna Kendrick, back on the screen again. Ill admit I cried when he started crying right before he went into surgery. Im such a sap. lol

AIgrl06

Aw, sorry you didn't like it, Elie. :(

I saw Beginners. It was good, better than I expected, but not amazing. Christopher Plummer's been getting a lot of Supporting Actor buzz for this role, and I can totally see why. He was great. Watching the movie I really felt for his character. And he has cancer... and is gay. Oscar! Haha. Ewan McGregor and Melanie Laurent were great in their roles, too, but they won't get any awards. I could see this getting a Screenplay nomination.

AIgrl06

Double post! :)

The National Board of Review announced their awards today. These are the second of the four big critics' awards.

Best Film: Hugo
Best Director: Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
Best Actor: George Clooney (The Descendants)
Best Actress: Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk About Kevin)
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley (The Descendants)
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants
Best Original Screenplay: 50/50
Best Ensemble: The Help
Best Animated Film: Rango
Best Breakthrough Performance: Felicity Jones (Like Crazy) & Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Best Debut Director: JC Chandor (Margin Call)
Best Foreign Lanuage Film: A Separation
Best Documentary: Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Special Achievement in Filmmaking: The Harry Potter Franchise (A Distinguished Translation from Book to Film)

Top 10 Films:
The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2
Hugo
The Ides of March
J. Edgar
The Tree of Life
War Horse

Top 10 Independent Films:
50/50
Another Earth
Beginners
A Better Life
Cedar Rapids
Margin Call
Shame
Take Shelter
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Win Win

Love the love for Hugo and for 50/50. :D And Felicity Jones! Guess we should put Tilda Swinton on our radar as well. I'm so glad NBR gave Harry Potter a special award and named it to their Top 10!

epicamends

Finally watched The Ides of March. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the characters in that movie, but I can say it is one of the best films I've seen all year (so far).

Now I'm getting really excited about awards season. :)

sur_crazy4carrie

I saw the Ides of March. I really liked it but it wasn't the movie that I was expecting. I was expecting some big complex political plot but it was very lite. Ryan Gosling is definitely the guy who stands at the forefront of this generation of actors. A best picture nomination is definitely warranted with an acting nomination for Gosling.

teesharky

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Harry Potter Got some love at last! That is a good sign for award season, right? I don't expect it to win-- but I just want it to get nominated so Harry, Ron and Hermione do the red carpet and go out with a Bang by getting to attend the Oscars and Globes. :) They have certainly earned the right to do that after 10 years of filming such a great series.

Double post! :)

The National Board of Review announced their awards today. These are the second of the four big critics' awards.

Best Film: Hugo
Best Director: Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
Best Actor: George Clooney (The Descendants)
Best Actress: Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk About Kevin)
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley (The Descendants)
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants
Best Original Screenplay: 50/50
Best Ensemble: The Help
Best Animated Film: Rango
Best Breakthrough Performance: Felicity Jones (Like Crazy) & Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Best Debut Director: JC Chandor (Margin Call)
Best Foreign Lanuage Film: A Separation
Best Documentary: Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Special Achievement in Filmmaking: The Harry Potter Franchise (A Distinguished Translation from Book to Film)

Top 10 Films:
The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2
Hugo
The Ides of March
J. Edgar
The Tree of Life
War Horse

Top 10 Independent Films:
50/50
Another Earth
Beginners
A Better Life
Cedar Rapids
Margin Call
Shame
Take Shelter
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Win Win

Love the love for Hugo and for 50/50. :D And Felicity Jones! Guess we should put Tilda Swinton on our radar as well. I'm so glad NBR gave Harry Potter a special award and named it to their Top 10!

teesharky

^ I am going to see Hugo tomorrow! :) I definitely want to see War Horse, the Descendants, and try to stomach Tree of Life for the whole 2 hours this time. lol

I started Tree of Life and it just bored the heck out of me in the first few minutes, so I went to bed. lol I will try to watch it another time.

sur_crazy4carrie

I re-watched 127 Hours and The Social Network from last year. Man!! 2010 was a really amazing year for Hollywood. You could've easily filled up the 10 slots for best picture and still complain that five films were snubbed. I don't know how this year can even remotely measure up.