Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2017

Kizmet311

^I was actually really surprised by Bledel! I'm not a huge fan of hers, I usually find her acting a bit one note but I've been hugely impressed by her in these first theee episodes.

And I'm not sure, if you really hated the book you may not be into the show. I loved the book so I'm not the best benchmark for you. I guess it'd depend what your issues with the novel were, because they have done a bit of fleshing out of the characters beforehand through flashback which is really well done. Maybe try the first episode and see what you think!

I agree with Alexis being a one-note actor, but I always loved Gilmore Girls, so I didn't mind it too much, lol. I'm definitely someone who uses film/television as an escape so sometimes I can look past acting for the feel-good aspect of things.

Honestly, it's been almost 19 years since I read the Handmaid's Tale as a freshman in college. At the time, it wasn't my kind of book to read - I preferred much lighter subjects. Plus, since I read it for my school's "Foundations of the Liberal Arts", which is its version of a tortuous English class, and had to analyze the book and write about/discuss it, it probably lead to my hate of the book.

AIgrl06

^Oh gosh it's so true that having to read books for school can completely ruin them. I've got a list of a half dozen books I hated in high school/college that I want to go back and reread because they might have been brilliant and I was just a crabby student, ha.

sur_crazy4carrie

3 episodes into the new season of sense8. It feels a lot more streamlined this time. I have forgotten most of the first season but I remember having issues with the cohesiveness of the show then. There's still a lot in the storytelling that I wish they had taken care to construct carefully.

The MTV awards are genderless this year. I was wondering what everyone thinks of doing that for all awards. I think it's a sensible thing to do now that the gender binary is fading (not in any significant real world sense but the idea seems to be catching on). Maybe the performances should be categorised by genre.

They even gave the beach handy from Moonlight the award for 'best kiss'.

Also, should I watch The Handmaid's Tale after all the episodes are online or watch week to week? I want to know if it's a binge-y type of show. I'm planning on doing the marathon watch with Fargo.

sur_crazy4carrie

Oh boy, sense8 is just hot nonsense. Anyone who doesn't wish to have their expectations coloured by my opinions please stop reading here. It barely feels like they know what they want to do with this show. The season finale, like most of the back half of the season was just disappointing. It's a shame because it really did hold my attention for the first half. This show also has the corniest dialogue. They need to get better writers if they want to keep this show interesting.

I am really loving American Gods on the other hand. Bryan Fuller is one of the most dependent show creators. I read the novel very quickly a while ago. It's interesting to watch the show with only the larger picture retained in my mind. Gillian Anderson is amazing and seems to have stopped aging. Looks better than her x-files days. I used to have the biggest smile on my face whenever she was on Hannibal.

Veep isn't hitting as hard as it used to when Ianucci was at the helm but this week's episode was a good reminder of the good old days. Catherine's reaction on hearing about Selina's heart was so funny as was Dan's reaction to finding he has low sperm motility. Why do Americans still have daylight saving btw? Seems like a whole lot of effort.

And please watch John Oliver's piece on net neutrality. Go to gofccyourself.com and voice your concerns.

AIgrl06

^I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

In all honesty, I haven't been paying much attention to Cannes. :/ I need to get caught up.

sur_crazy4carrie

I really haven't been keeping up either. But I saw the opportunity for the pun and went for it. Netflix's very first premiere got booed because they had technical difficulties. Okja with Tilda Swinton, Steven Yeun, Jake Gyllenhaal directed by the guy who did Snowpiercer.

Starting Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season 3.

AIgrl06

^I did the same damn search, ahaha. I'm just too lazy to do more. I'll look tomorrow. I'm intrigued by The Beguiled. I love Sofia Coppola so.

sur_crazy4carrie

There's something about the beguiled that's just not sitting right with me. I'm pretty sure it's the title card. The thin pink writing makes it look like it had no budget.

AIgrl06

I literally haven't seen anything out of Cannes that suggests any of the films are great. Like, I'm seeing some films with good ink but nothing like Cannes breakouts from years past (Blue is the Warmest Color, Amour, Carol, Elle, The Tree of Life [I know but it WAS acclaimed]). Everything just seems to be, 'Good, not amazing.'

sur_crazy4carrie

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. None of the buzzed about films seem to landing well. There's a movie called 'the square' that got some people excited. Also something with Willem DeFoe. There's a Todd Haynes film at the festival. Don't know what it's called or how it fared. I don't even know what to look forward to with award season this year. Does the Jennifer Lawrence-Darren Aronofsky film come out this year?

AIgrl06

Cannes competition prizes:

Palme d'Or: The Square (Ruben Östlund)
Grand Prix: 120 Beats per Minute (Robin Campillo)
Director: The Beguiled (Sofia Coppola)
Screenplay: The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthymis Filippou) and You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay) (TIE)
Actress: In the Fade (Diane Kruger)
Actor: You Were Never Really Here (Joaquin Phoenix)
Jury Prize: Loveless (Andrey Zvyagintsev)
70th Anniversary Prize: Nicole Kidman

So there are actually a few that I'm interested in seeing. Reviews from The Beguiled are positive enough to reinforce my desire to see it, and I'm super happy for Coppola's prize here (I think only the second female Director winner?). Plus that one comes out next month in the States, so we won't have to wait until awards season. The Square also looks really interesting, I hadn't even read its synopsis before today, it sounds awesome. 120 Beats per Minute had the best reviews of the festival, so that's one to look out for, particularly for Foreign Language Film.

Also, in huge news, Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara are actually a really cute couple?

DA7hH-FVYAAEdov.jpg

sur_crazy4carrie

The consensus is that this was a weak year at Cannes. Glad that Coppola won. Yes she's only the second woman to win director and the first in like 50 years apparently. I had no idea that Phoenix and Mara were a thing. Aside from Phoenix, Robert Pattinson was a big favourite for best actor. Nicole Kidman's been having a fantastic couple of years. Good for her.

dismokemi

Wonder Woman was so good yaaas! I could do without some cheesy lines but overall, it was very entertaining. Probably the best film in DC Extended Universe to date.