Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Away On The Mediabase Charts (Blown Away Era)

Marv

Since I certainly don't expect 'Blown Away' to go anywhere at top 40 radio a la the equally exceptional 'Skyfall', I seriously doubt that she'd perform it at the Grammys, and escpecially since 'Two Black Cadillacs' should be knocking on the door of the top 10 by the time the Grammys roll around on Feb. 10.

Last edited:

epicamends

Since I certainly don't expect 'Blown Away' to go anywhere at top 40 radio a la the equally exceptional 'Skyfall', I seriously doubt that she'd perform it at the Grammys, and escpecially since 'Two Black Cadillacs' should be knocking on the door of the top 10 by the time the Grammys roll around on Fe. 10.

The thing is, Carrie has never performed a current single at the Grammys. She performed BHC in '08 way after it was done on radio, and LN in '09 long after it was done as well. Both songs were nominated, which explains why she performed them. I strongly believe that if she gets asked to perform her own original song at the 2013 Grammys, she will likely perform a song that is nominated, whether it be Good Girl or Blown Away. (I sure hope at least one gets nominated, and they don't cancel each other out.) I don't believe she would perform Two Black Cadillacs until it gets nominated for a Grammy in 2014. ;) *fingers crossed*

teesharky

^ But I think that is the problem. She always performs the expected song or songs that are ions old. Why can't she ever perform a brand new single to debut it for the world?
What is so wrong with that? ha ha

teesharky

^ Right. IKYW was so unexpected and perfect. It remains one of her best live vocals ever, and it impressed so many people. She wow'd everyone by doing an unexpected song.

Songs Like This was great too- and a nice surprise. But I still think the CMAS just threw her a bone and let her perform twice to make up for her EOTY snub that year. lol

But except for these rare occasions, they do usually perform the expected songs. But I really do not see what purpose doing BA yet again would serve at the AMAS.

BA is one of my all time favorite Carrie songs, and I love it. But it is time to move on from it.

Claire2004

Nobody hates MS. It's just the song that represents the most stressful Carrie Underwood fan period of all-time, and that's where the "hate" comes from. I don't think anyone actually thinks it's an awful song (except maybe carebear4eva).

TGFH and NETY aren't hated; they're just the most inappropriate single selections of the bunch (according to Carriefans).

Agree. Ok I admit I reacted violently when she announced MS as the next single lol, but of course I still voted and cheered for it during its chart run. What aggravated things for me was when we all realized after its chart run that there won't be a 5th single after that. I got over the fact that it became a single, but I didn't get over the fact that it became the single that closed the PO era. But I don't hate MS lol.

teesharky

^ That is how I feel about MS. I was never an MS hater until it became a single. lol I was fine with it as a lovely (if somewhat dull) album track. It was the fact that it was made a single above so many other vastly superior songs that made me hate it for awhile. lol I would have felt differently if they had at least released a 5th single to end the era off on a high note. But to end the era on a low note was not a wise move.

clh_hilary

I don't hate "Mama's Song" at all. I just think it's not remotely the best single choice they can make.

There's a great likelihood for Carrie to perform "Blown Away" at the Grammy's if you ask me, after all, it's the most likely song to be nominated. Or maybe a cover. I think it's rare for anyone to single a genre-specific song on the Grammy's in lieu of the nominated work. Even Lady Antebellum performed "Need You Now" twice as a medley in the other year. I also feel it's rare for people to perform current singles which are not lead singles as well:

ADELE performed "Rolling In The Deep" instead of her current single "Set Fire To The Rain";
Rihanna performed "We Found Love" instead of "Talk That Talk";
Shakira performed "Hips Don't Lie" instead of whatever she was releasing at that time, possibly "Illegal", etc.

There's also the possibility of a medley a la the aforementioned Lady A one, and the Taylor Swift with Stevie Nicks one, or the Madonna and Glorillaz one with "Feel Good Inc." and "Hung Up".

maddkat

Staff member
^ That is how I feel about MS. I was never an MS hater until it became a single. lol I was fine with it as a lovely (if somewhat dull) album track. It was the fact that it was made a single above so many other vastly superior songs that made me hate it for awhile. lol I would have felt differently if they had at least released a 5th single to end the era off on a high note. But to end the era on a low note was not a wise move.

yeah I really hated MS the single.But I can see,and love, the sweetness of MS the song and how much it means to Carrie . To leave WCIS just sitting there on the cd....such a shame

I also think it's time to move on to TBC. BA had a great run, now it's just hanging around not doing much of anything.What's the point of singing it at the AMAs? I think if nominated she'll be singing it at the Grammys. Just rewatching Carrie sing BA on the BB Awards last night and the crowd reaction...wow. I think that performance did more for it's Grammy chances then any performance at the AMAs could.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
^ But I think that is the problem. She always performs the expected song or songs that are ions old. Why can't she ever perform a brand new single to debut it for the world?
What is so wrong with that? ha ha

I believe that is a general rule at the Grammys. If you are not involved in a "special" performance, you must perform something related to your nominations. If your album is nominated, you have some choice of which song on the album. But if the nomination is for a specific song, then I think you are pretty much locked into that song for the performance.

clh_hilary

I believe that is a general rule at the Grammys. If you are not involved in a "special" performance, you must perform something related to your nominations. If your album is nominated, you have some choice of which song on the album. But if the nomination is for a specific song, then I think you are pretty much locked into that song for the performance.

Well Lady GaGa did perform "Born This Way", Chris Brown did perform "Turn Up The Music" and they weren't nominated for Best New Artists.

So the absolute rule would be to only have nominated people perform (Miley Cyrus tacked onto Taylor Swift to perform "15"; Stevie Nicks tacked onto Taylor Swift to perform; Madonna tacked onto Gorillaz to perform "Hung Up" with "Feel Good Inc.", but big debuts would also be welcomed. I guess technically you can say Katy Perry's "Part of Me" wasn't a completely irrelevant song since she performed "E.T." (which was nominated) in the beginning.

thaifood

Well Lady GaGa did perform "Born This Way", Chris Brown did perform "Turn Up The Music" and they weren't nominated for Best New Artists.

So the absolute rule would be to only have nominated people perform (Miley Cyrus tacked onto Taylor Swift to perform "15"; Stevie Nicks tacked onto Taylor Swift to perform; Madonna tacked onto Gorillaz to perform "Hung Up" with "Feel Good Inc.", but big debuts would also be welcomed. I guess technically you can say Katy Perry's "Part of Me" wasn't a completely irrelevant song since she performed "E.T." (which was nominated) in the beginning.

Still has to rank as the biggest embarrasment in the career of Ms. Nicks. It was cringe worthy.

clh_hilary

Everything basically stayed the same but:

36 (=) Lauren Alania - "Eighteen Inches"
763 (+30) spins
-24 (+38) bullet
4.178 (+0.081) million AI

AND

46 (+4) Kelly Clarkson - "Don't Rush" (Featuring Vince Gill)
393 (+38) spins
208 (+73) bullet
2.198 (+0.177) million AI
#100 on iTunes
(Her compilation is releasing next chart week so not sure if this has anything to do with it)

Overall Airplay -
48 (-3) Carrie Underwood - "Blown Away"
40.221 (-1.071) million AI

pklongbeach

Grammy is supposed to be spotlighting the best music of the previous year. IT is not supposed to be a showcase show for peoples new music.
Grammys have become a pormo tool no doubt. But it is still supposed to be somewhat legitimate.
So being nominated for a great song as the voters would see it but then sing your latest single (cause you are sooo over the one you are nominated for) wouldn't make sense.
Grammys are not supposed to be about grandstanding. Even though that is what its become.
It is supposed to be about highlighting the best music to come out that previous year.
I hope it's Blown Away and I hope its "for the win!!"

teesharky

For the Grammys-- I am perfectly fine with a BA performance with massive production and the best one yet. That is another reason I want TBC performed at the AMAs.

I don't think Carrie will get to perform TBC at Grammys as it is too new and not a nominated song.

Marv

A whopping two more spins would have earned a second week at #1 at CA/MB for 'Hard To Love', and those same two spins would have resulted in 'Blown Away' cracking that same chart one week earlier than it eventually did.

If she winds up performing 'Blown Away' at the Grammys due to its familiarity, that wouldn't surprise me either.

I was certainly delighted when she opened the CMAs with 'Songs Like This'; it's not very often that an artist gets to open that show with a CD track.

Tim McGraw performed two of his best songs ever on two TV shows, although neither was ever released as a single; 'That's Why God Made Mexico' was performed on Jay Leno's show as 'She's My Kind Of Rain' was climbing the charts, and he performed 'Angel Boy' from his 'Set This Circus Down' masterpiece on FOX's very first New Years Eve show.

if any TV show allows you to do that, rest assured that ​you've got major league clout!!!!!