Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie on Miranda's new cd - song - "Something Bad"

Zman312

I think they have a general time frame of release by now as they have to book promo dates and talk shows Etc. they need to book the tour too which I expect will be 2015. Carrie already mentioned a new tour in her blog etc.

i do think they might be waiting for adele and ts to announce. But hopefully Adele's date will be easier to gauge as she is a sony artist right? So Adele's team would tell Carrie's team
her release date.

Scott B is another matter. One would think sony could work out release dates for carrie/ts in advance by talking to scott b- but who knows what he might pull. Lol

I think that their management knows when both are releasing. Since they both are BIG artists, they won't release it around the same time. Danielle was on tour with Brad, who is a sony artist. I am sure the managements will work it out. I am not worried abt it anymore.

I am just anxiously waiting for new album info...

JB172

I'm going to guess Carrie's team is waiting for Taylor to announce her album's release date and then work around that. If Carrie announced first, it may be silly but I wouldn't put it past Big Machine to announce the next day that Taylor's album is coming out the week before or even the same week as Carrie's.

They can't let someone else dictate when they release Carrie's album.

If something came up and Taylor's album was pushed back, Sony isn't going to wait to find out a new date for Taylor's album to release Carrie's album, if Sony set a release date for Carrie's album and Big Machine decided to release Taylor's album at the same time so be it, that is what competition is.

As Zman posted the labels try not to put big name artist against each other.

teesharky

I think they will work it out to avoid Taylor. Taylor might want to avoid carrie too re: buzz stealing. Just because taylor sells more doesnt mean she gets more buzz/excitement then carrie.

The labels will figure this out. That is what they get paid the big bucks for.

epicamends

Yeah, from a business perspective, Sony would be silly not to be paying attention to the release schedules of other big-name artists like Taylor and Adele. They'll want Carrie to get a #1 opening week. It's all about PR! ;-)

maddkat

Staff member
Automatic is having a tough week ( passed by BE today) maybe radio is gearing up to play SB come Monday morning. :)

pklongbeach

I agree that Automatic is a good solid song. And much like Wasted for Carrie, Automatic could have been a solid 3rd or 4th single and probably would have lead to more cds being sold.

But as a lead single, I don't think it said a whole lot about a new era or a new ideology for the artist.
It kind of stayed very generic and midtempo.

I actually liked the "new sound". Much closer to the tone of music that I am into.
I just did not appreciate that it had nothing to really say except what all country music is saying right now: here is a laundry list of words that relate to "country folk".
Generic!

I expect the duet will be much stronger and more inclined to sell cd's

(I just secretly hope it is more mainstream leaning than her other "strong female empowerment" songs.
Most of them are just loud and void of melody for me.

Fingers (still) crossed.

teesharky

^ See I think Wasted is one of the best songs of Carrie's career. It would have smashed harder if not overshadowed by the monster that BHC was.

But I agree with your other comments. (smile) I do think Something Bad will be country/rock per the comments we have received so far- kind of a mainstream sound.

Didn't someone describe it as having an Aerosmith sound? That sounds good to me.

pklongbeach

I think Wasted is a great song.
And yes, one of her best, and probably overshadowed.

Especially when you consider, that Some Hearts the album was still selling like crazy when they were trying to promote Carnival Ride, ha ha ha ha.....

So it almost felt like Wasted did not get the full run it probably deserved.
Some of Carries songs seem to have a solid resonance with the public despite what the promoters and marketers are planning.
Wasted did get overshadowed. Also, AAG was cut short when it was having alot of public appeal.
And finally ITYS was a stroke of genius! It had its own life after most of the promo for the album was over.

I think there have been singles that could have done the same thing if the label had chosen different singles and did not always cut her era's short at 4 singles.

Releasing a single like ITYS and just allowing it to have its own little shelf life is smart and cheap. And you end up with alot in return.

I believe that This Town / SLT / and Look At Me / each could have had a solid run at radio as an after thought with little to no promo at all an would have extended the lives of the perspective eras and album sales.

And it would have costed the Label almost NOTHING!!

that is the power of Carries music. It sells itself.

teesharky

Agree. I don't think every single has to have a video if they are cutting costs etc. So many great songs have been wasted by their refusal to give carrie a 5th single.

Wildflower

I really do like Automatic, but it was probably the wrong choice for the lead single. With SB coming out, I think it will struggle even more.

teesharky

It is a nice song- just doesn't WOW you like a lead single should. Miranda seems to pick odd choices for lead singles though- ie- Baggage Claim and Dead Flowers.

sco

Automatic is growing on me. I thought it was kind of blah at first but the more I hear it I like it pretty well. I'm probably weird but one thing that bothers me is I keep thinking there is no way Miranda is anywhere near old enough to remember let alone be nostalgic about most of the things mentioned in the song. It's probably just me showing my age again LOL!

epicamends

Other than BHC and JTTW, Wasted is one of Carrie's old singles I hear most frequently. I hardly ever hear the CR singles on the radio anymore, and I never hear TH, DFTRM or MS.

On topic, I'm still pretty meh about "Automatic". It gets stuck in my head once in a while and I enjoy the live version (at least, much better than the studio version), but some of the lyrical content still bothers me, particularly the second verse.

The Nanook

We still don't know if Miranda's label is even sending out the studio version to iTunes the night of the performance. I've never known a song to be debuted at an awards show but not able to benefit from that exposure.

Farawayhills

On topic, I'm still pretty meh about "Automatic". It gets stuck in my head once in a while and I enjoy the live version (at least, much better than the studio version), but some of the lyrical content still bothers me, particularly the second verse.

I certainly agree about the live version!

The lyrical content does need some working out - in the second verse, what are the parts that bother you? At a guess, I'd say perhaps "three on a tree" is the most obscure image. It's a reference to the gear change mounted on a car's steering column, which is usually easier for a beginner to learn (and hence contrasted with "four on the floor", which is the European style gear shift). A "Rand McNally" is a road atlas, implying that she'd take the longer route, off the main highway.

It is, in fact, the lyrics that strike me as the best thing about this song. They are cleverly constructed and build up a succession of images, several of which need more than one listen to appreciate. That's why I disagree with Patrick's earlier post. To me, the lyrics are nothing like anything else currently on radio. Radio currently favours repetitive "hook" and chorus driven songs, which make little attempt to require much thought from the listener. Many of them are "dirt road party" anthems, mainly using unimaginative stock imagery to create a catchy "feel good" mood. By contrast, this is mainly a verse-driven song, which concentrates on building up a succession of unusual images - and for me the priority given to lyrical content is one of the key aspects distinguishing a song rooted in Country from one that draws heavily on General Music,

What lets the song down for me, though, is the music. Despite a good beginning, it moves into over-produced and Pop-heavy instrumentation that rather confuses the impression created by the lyrics.

However, the main interest is likely to move very quickly to "Something Bad". At first, I did think this was likely to be Country Rock (partly, I suppose, because that is the style tCarrie and Miranda used for their two earlier stage collaborations, and partly because they're both so good at it). Now, though, I'm not so sure - I think it will be a strong up-tempo song, but my guess would be that it might lean more Mainstream than Country Rock.
I base that feeling on a number of factors.
Firstly, they're presenting it at the Billboard Awards (true, that may be for convenience and for getting media attention - but it's an event with a very General Music flavour, probably of little interest to many deep Country enthusiasts.)
Secondly, Miranda's latest previous collaboration ("Wrote A Song For Everyone", with John Fogerty) was very much a Country Rock production, complete with a noticeable "twang factor" and a lengthy electric guitar solo (it got some air play on the Roots stations, but was ignored by the Mainstream). Would Miranda really want to do something similar again so soon?
Thirdly, the writers suggest to me that Miranda is moving away from her "deep genre" style, perhaps more to greater Mainstream hit potential. I don't think she's ever worked with these writers before - though Carrie has.
Fourthly, one of the writers (Priscilla Renea) comes from an Urban Music background, and collaborated with the two Country writers on an overseas mixed genre retreat. This again suggests to me a possibly more General Music feel - perhaps with some unusual features.
Finally, Miranda has given an interview about the choice of "Automatic" - she said it was intended to signal that the new album was taking a different direction (and, reading between the lines, the impression I got was that she meant a more commercial, Mainstream-friendly direction - at least with some of the high profile songs) If, as most people think, "Something Bad" will be the second single, it seems rather likely that she'd want it to give another signal towards change.

epicamends

I certainly agree about the live version!

The lyrical content does need some working out - in the second verse, what are the parts that bother you? At a guess, I'd say perhaps "three on a tree" is the most obscure image. It's a reference to the gear change mounted on a car's steering column, which is usually easier for a beginner to learn (and hence contrasted with "four on the floor", which is the European style gear shift). A "Rand McNally" is a road atlas, implying that she'd take the longer route, off the main highway.

Actually my problem is with the "staying married was the only way to work your problems out" line. Especially coming from Miranda, who grew up in a home often frequented by abused women needing shelter, it doesn't make sense. While I appreciate the notion they were going for (people shouldn't give up on relationships so easily), the way it's worded strikes me as extremely judgmental. Sometimes a relationship just isn't working and it's better for both parties to part ways.

I have no problem with the "obscureness" of the lyrics, which don't strike me as particularly obscure anyway. I may be young, but I'm well aware of what Polaroids, Rand McNallys, and gear shifting on cars ("three on a tree") are. ;-)

For me, I would have liked the song to be a little more personal to Miranda's story. It feels like they got there a bit in the first verse with the "we'd drive all the way to Dallas just to buy an Easter dress" line, but the song as a whole strikes me as simply a list of old things that people can be nostalgic about, without acknowledging that not everything from the past is better than the present and not everything from the present is terrible. I would have appreciated the lyrics more if they were more well-rounded and personal.

As you said, of course the lyrics are better than most of what gets played on country radio these days. That almost goes without saying. But considering how bad most of the songs on country radio are, it's not that hard to be better. ;-) I definitely hold Miranda to a higher standard than, say, Florida Georgia Line, who I just always expect to be terrible. lol

If I'm in the right mood I can enjoy "Automatic," but I have to say I'm looking forward to moving onto the next single and letting this one be a thing of the past. (Ironically.)