Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie on Miranda's new cd - song - "Something Bad"

Farawayhills

Actually my problem is with the "staying married was the only way to work your problems out" line. Especially coming from Miranda, who grew up in a home often frequented by abused women needing shelter, it doesn't make sense. While I appreciate the notion they were going for (people shouldn't give up on relationships so easily), the way it's worded strikes me as extremely judgmental. Sometimes a relationship just isn't working and it's better for both parties to part ways.

I have no problem with the "obscureness" of the lyrics, which don't strike me as particularly obscure anyway. I may be young, but I'm well aware of what Polaroids, Rand McNallys, and gear shifting on cars ("three on a tree") are. ;-)

For me, I would have liked the song to be a little more personal to Miranda's story. It feels like they got there a bit in the first verse with the "we'd drive all the way to Dallas just to buy an Easter dress" line, but the song as a whole strikes me as simply a list of old things that people can be nostalgic about, without acknowledging that not everything from the past is better than the present and not everything from the present is terrible. I would have appreciated the lyrics more if they were more well-rounded and personal.

As you said, of course the lyrics are better than most of what gets played on country radio these days. That almost goes without saying. But considering how bad most of the songs on country radio are, it's not that hard to be better. ;-) I definitely hold Miranda to a higher standard than, say, Florida Georgia Line, who I just always expect to be terrible. lol

If I'm in the right mood I can enjoy "Automatic," but I have to say I'm looking forward to moving onto the next single and letting this one be a thing of the past. (Ironically.)

Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry I misunderstood before. (I think, though, that that song will not be long lasting enough, nor that line as fundamental to the theme, for it to come to be comparable to the reaction some people felt to "Stand By Your Man". )

When I first heard the line, I thought it was "Saying Mary's on her way to sort your problems out" - whether that was due to expectations of a more assertive Miranda, or simply to the difference in accents, I'm not sure, lol

teesharky

So is Automatic peaking? It seems to be struggling. I wonder if they will push it hard still or if the duet will drop soon to radio?

The Nanook

Maybe I just haven't been keeping up on articles and blogs and I know Miranda's album isn't out for another few weeks, but I haven't heard much description of Somethin' Bad aside from Miranda and Carrie. They both say it's an "in your face" song, but aside from that we don't know what kind of instrumentation, melody, etc. it has. I just want to know if it's a country-rock song, which a lot of country artists are doing now, or if it's an uptempo that crosses genres more into pop.

Ty

Well, it's been described as a "high energy rock anthem" by CombustionMusic and SPIN Magazine said it sounded like Aerosmith. It begins with squealing guitars, too. So...I'm expecting a straight-up rock song. Don't think there's going to be much of anything country going on aside from maybe the lyrics.

Farawayhills

Maybe I just haven't been keeping up on articles and blogs and I know Miranda's album isn't out for another few weeks, but I haven't heard much description of Somethin' Bad aside from Miranda and Carrie. They both say it's an "in your face" song, but aside from that we don't know what kind of instrumentation, melody, etc. it has. I just want to know if it's a country-rock song, which a lot of country artists are doing now, or if it's an uptempo that crosses genres more into pop.

Although the album won't be out until June, the duet will be heard this coming Sunday (at the Billboard Awards)

We know almost nothing about it yet - I'd prefer Country Rock - but for reasons I've suggested a couple of posts above, it wouldn't surprise me if it showed rather more leanings to General Music

teesharky

With Miranda's pronounced ( cute) twang- it will still sound country enough for country radio- don't worry guys. Haha Miranda's voice will never sound mainstream rock or pop no matter what she sings- so this will still setm
like a country song even if it is pure rock/pop. ( smile)

I don't mean that as a negative thing or diss of Miranda. I actually like her twang. It can sound quite pretty on the right songs like Virginia Bluebells or Dear Diamond etc.

i just just meant that there is no way her twang can be hidden enough to take the country out of this song- and that is fine by me. It is likely not going to be pushed for a crossover anyway- as pop radio won't even play carrie without a remix- and she had no visible twang in her voice.

jptexas

I'm just hoping the song key was not brought down too much to accommodate Miranda's voice. That would make Carrie sing at a lower key than she's use to. Hopefully, if it's a rocking song, the key is at Carrie's level and Miranda will have to come up to meet her. Rock/country songs tend to drag if sung too low. Maybe they compromised some, or not.

Inspired

I'm just hoping the song key was not brought down too much to accommodate Miranda's voice. That would make Carrie sing at a lower key than she's use to. Hopefully, if it's a rocking song, the key is at Carrie's level and Miranda will have to come up to meet her. Rock/country songs tend to drag if sung too low. Maybe they compromised some, or not.

The compromise is Miranda will play the guitar and Carrie will do all the singing.

liz278

I have such high hopes for this song, that I really hope I like it :) I really don't want to be disappointed by the song after all the hype.

Farawayhills

I have such high hopes for this song, that I really hope I like it :) I really don't want to be disappointed by the song after all the hype.

That's exactly how I feel (smiley).

For me, this is potentially more important than a vocal showcase, an album seller, or a chart hit. The importance lies in the song, and in what the collaboration can show in terms of what this genre is capable of delivering. And I admit - that's an additional burden of expectation to impose on the two women.

But they are the Mainstream Country format's two leading women, who both get radio support, and who both have had strongly themed, musically progressive songs before. It's an opportunity, at a time when, I feel,much of the commercial radio format is struggling to find worthwhile songs. I really hope this is as good as I know it can be.

jptexas

^^i think it's a killer song. IMO, Miranda wouldn't have risked asking Carrie to duet without having a great song to convince her.

opry051008

^^i think it's a killer song. IMO, Miranda wouldn't have risked asking Carrie to duet without having a great song to convince her.

Well Carrie did take a week to get back to her. lol.

Anyway I'm one who's trying to keep my expectations low because I don't want to be disappointed just because I had set my expectations too high.

jptexas

Well Carrie did take a week to get back to her. lol.

Anyway I'm one who's trying to keep my expectations low because I don't want to be disappointed just because I had set my expectations too high.

So true, Carrie did take a week to respond. But, maybe it wasn't the song quality Carrie was considering. She might have been talking to her advisors about the duet, weighing the pro and cons, or other factors. We just don't know. Maybe she wanted Miranda to sweat a while. Lol Either way, the song had to be good for Carrie to agree as in Remind Me.

teesharky

Yeah I don't think Carrie took a week to think about it because the song is bad.

I immediately thought this: since this is another Country/Rock type song, perhaps Carrie was wondering if she should avoid another song of this type due to the "new sound" her new album will be showing the world?

Maybe Carrie was not sure if she should do another rock/country song, because she is trying to move in a different direction? But perhaps she decided to do it anyway as she loves the idea of recording with her friend, Miranda, so why not do one more Rock/country song and go out with a big bang so to speak-- by doing it with Miranda? Win win.

Just my own speculation obviously. lol I just don't think it is a "bad" song as the reviews/comments so far make it sound great so far.

But Carrie has done alot of songs of this type--- Ie GG, LN, CC, UI, etc. Perhaps her hesitation was simply because her new album has a "different sound" so she was unsure whether she should do another song of this nature.

Either way- it is going to be great. I can feel it.

The Nanook

Yeah I don't think Carrie took a week to think about it because the song is bad.

I immediately thought this: since this is another Country/Rock type song, perhaps Carrie was wondering if she should avoid another song of this type due to the "new sound" her new album will be showing the world?

Maybe Carrie was not sure if she should do another rock/country song, because she is trying to move in a different direction? But perhaps she decided to do it anyway as she loves the idea of recording with her friend, Miranda, so why not do one more Rock/country song and go out with a big bang so to speak-- by doing it with Miranda? Win win.

Just my own speculation obviously. lol I just don't think it is a "bad" song as the reviews/comments so far make it sound great so far.

But Carrie has done alot of songs of this type--- Ie GG, LN, CC, UI, etc. Perhaps her hesitation was simply because her new album has a "different sound" so she was unsure whether she should do another song of this nature.

That's another reason why I hoped the song would be more pop than country-rock because, as you mentioned, Carrie's already got a lot of songs that sound like what it seems like Somethin' Bad will sound like, lyrically and melodically. If it sounds like an Aerosmith song, we'll we've already got Can't Stop Lovin' You.

maddkat

Staff member

But it's not on Carrie's cd so in some respects it's not her song.
And would have nothing to do with her new sound.

I don't think Carrie thought about for a week either.I think maybe they were working out ( her and her label) how they could negotiate and use the duet to fill the time till she has new music out.Maybe they wanted assurances it'd be the second single on MLs cd leading to the lead single from Carrie's. :)

sco

Or maybe Carrie didn't check her email for a week?lol

Ha, ha ... I think people are probably way over analyzing things. Carrie is a busy lady and she needed to take the time to listen to the song, check with her management about scheduling, and get back to Miranda. She wouldn't have done the song if it wasn't good.

teesharky

True sco. I bet she did have to consult with her team etc and plan the timing around her new cd etc. She seems excited about it so I am sure it is good.

As as long as it has a catchy melody etc- and decent lyrics- I think it will be ahit. Good choice for the Billboard crowd too.