Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood 7- Denim and Rhinestones

carriefan14

^ I have had a lot of theories about this over the years (and feel free to skip over my post, I don't mean to be negative, I'm just offering my personal opinion in relation to the question, and opinions are more often wrong than right.)

1. There has always been a lot of passive agressive jealousy over Carrie, for both her vocal abilities (which really no other country female - and certainly no male artist - possesses, along with her very considerable beauty, which I know can make people feel unconsciously threatened or insecure). I think her vocal prowess and her beauty has only grown in the last five years, hence an increase in general contempt.

2. Her lifestyle - Despite being from a small town in Oklahoma, and her roots in the southern church, middle-class upbringing, "normal" life prior to graduating college, Carrie's other personal interests have always struck me as "non-traditional" or "Other than" from your average country music fan. She's a Vegan (not vegetarian), which makes me think of Hollywood actresses and like-minded people in Los Angeles/California. Not saying that it's a bad or good thing, just that it's "different", even if you are a Nashville celebrity. I think she's also said multiple times she hates sweets and desserts (other than cupcakes), which may strike everyday people as "weird" or "other than". She's also become intensely focused on physical fitness and exercise over the last decade - so much so that it's become associated with her name/personality. Some people may feel inadequate when they compare their body/hobbies to hers, which can cause some unconccious loathing and passive aggression.

3. Her general personality - a bit withdrawn, reserved. I will say in recent years she has actually opened up and improved as far as being easygoing during interviews and things like that, but she still tends to say the same things - "I get nervous around crowds", "I like to stay home", etc. These statements are true, of course, but they have always struck me as odd, because they literally clash with her literal job - on stage performing. I think she is able to compartmentalize and switch up her personality, and she's only improved doing that over the years, but it may still strike people as odd. "Oh, she's just stuck up,". If you read stories on reddit there are lots of false claims from regular people claiming to have worked for her or near her, saying she is rude. I read a story about a girl who says she used to work at a spray tan salon and Carrie was rude to her. I know it is not true, because Carrie would never be rude, plus I don't see her using a room that others have "used", lol, because I know how she is about germs. But still, people take notice of internet claims, and people just like negativity. That is just a sad fact I've learned in my 30 years on earth. Multiply one of those stories by ten or twenty, and people form their own opinions without ever meeting her. OH well.

4. Her general musical style - Let's face it, Carrie is not THE most country artist out there today. She never was. Denim &Rhinestones is weird in that to me, it is her most country album to date, but also her most pop. It is very eclectic and very diverse and very polarizing, and there will always be negative opinions about something that refuses to be labeled. I think Carrie is at the stage in her career where she refuses to be labeled. Throw in that she often cites Guns N Roses, George Michael, New Kids on the Block, My Chemical Romance, and heavy rock while working out - while still naming Dolly Parton and Randy Travis as influences - and quite frankly, people just may not know what to make of Carrie. Again, they may see her as "Other" or maybe it's just too complicated for them to understand. At any rate, people have their opinions about artists like George Michael or Guns N Roses, simply due to biases based on their personal lives, and they may think negatively of Carrie just because of that. I'm not sure. But let's face it - Carrie will never say, "Yeah, my musical influence is Garth Brooks and George Strait, they are all I listen to." That is not her.

5. "The accident" - enough said. The number of news stories that the media generated, coupled with her lips looking very different after - people formed opinions, some positive, some negative. That's all I will say, because you all know what I mean.

ANYWAY - those are just my thoughts and just some things that have always struck me as "Other" about her....not saying they are bad things. I just come from a small town, I've heard people talk....I know how people can be.

Hil

Is there any speculation why they are ignoring the album or Carrie for that matter? I'm a little confused and worried about this.
Because her label didn't send it to them before the album came out as a courtesy, so therefore they didn't review it. As far as the small blogs, who cares, they don't count and most of them are those crazy ladies always hating on her lol

carriecountrystar

^ I have had a lot of theories about this over the years (and feel free to skip over my post, I don't mean to be negative, I'm just offering my personal opinion in relation to the question, and opinions are more often wrong than right.)

1. There has always been a lot of passive agressive jealousy over Carrie, for both her vocal abilities (which really no other country female - and certainly no male artist - possesses, along with her very considerable beauty, which I know can make people feel unconsciously threatened or insecure). I think her vocal prowess and her beauty has only grown in the last five years, hence an increase in general contempt.

2. Her lifestyle - Despite being from a small town in Oklahoma, and her roots in the southern church, middle-class upbringing, "normal" life prior to graduating college, Carrie's other personal interests have always struck me as "non-traditional" or "Other than" from your average country music fan. She's a Vegan (not vegetarian), which makes me think of Hollywood actresses and like-minded people in Los Angeles/California. Not saying that it's a bad or good thing, just that it's "different", even if you are a Nashville celebrity. I think she's also said multiple times she hates sweets and desserts (other than cupcakes), which may strike everyday people as "weird" or "other than". She's also become intensely focused on physical fitness and exercise over the last decade - so much so that it's become associated with her name/personality. Some people may feel inadequate when they compare their body/hobbies to hers, which can cause some unconccious loathing and passive aggression.

3. Her general personality - a bit withdrawn, reserved. I will say in recent years she has actually opened up and improved as far as being easygoing during interviews and things like that, but she still tends to say the same things - "I get nervous around crowds", "I like to stay home", etc. These statements are true, of course, but they have always struck me as odd, because they literally clash with her literal job - on stage performing. I think she is able to compartmentalize and switch up her personality, and she's only improved doing that over the years, but it may still strike people as odd. "Oh, she's just stuck up,". If you read stories on reddit there are lots of false claims from regular people claiming to have worked for her or near her, saying she is rude. I read a story about a girl who says she used to work at a spray tan salon and Carrie was rude to her. I know it is not true, because Carrie would never be rude, plus I don't see her using a room that others have "used", lol, because I know how she is about germs. But still, people take notice of internet claims, and people just like negativity. That is just a sad fact I've learned in my 30 years on earth. Multiply one of those stories by ten or twenty, and people form their own opinions without ever meeting her. OH well.

4. Her general musical style - Let's face it, Carrie is not THE most country artist out there today. She never was. Denim &Rhinestones is weird in that to me, it is her most country album to date, but also her most pop. It is very eclectic and very diverse and very polarizing, and there will always be negative opinions about something that refuses to be labeled. I think Carrie is at the stage in her career where she refuses to be labeled. Throw in that she often cites Guns N Roses, George Michael, New Kids on the Block, My Chemical Romance, and heavy rock while working out - while still naming Dolly Parton and Randy Travis as influences - and quite frankly, people just may not know what to make of Carrie. Again, they may see her as "Other" or maybe it's just too complicated for them to understand. At any rate, people have their opinions about artists like George Michael or Guns N Roses, simply due to biases based on their personal lives, and they may think negatively of Carrie just because of that. I'm not sure. But let's face it - Carrie will never say, "Yeah, my musical influence is Garth Brooks and George Strait, they are all I listen to." That is not her.

5. "The accident" - enough said. The number of news stories that the media generated, coupled with her lips looking very different after - people formed opinions, some positive, some negative. That's all I will say, because you all know what I mean.

ANYWAY - those are just my thoughts and just some things that have always struck me as "Other" about her....not saying they are bad things. I just come from a small town, I've heard people talk....I know how people can be.

I can understand why Carrie was worried to the point she put out a whole statement saying her face may look different. When she had the accident and then surgery and then sutured up, often the OMFS (oral/maxilofacial surgeon) will do a small surgery for that area.

Carrie probably saw the early stages (bleeding, swelling, etc) and worried a lot, but after the recovery and swelling, her accident didn't do much permanent damage to her face besides the scar. Also if it looks slightly different, the surgeon probably had to reconstruct or suture back spots so it's natural it won't look completely the same since she had the accident. It's like when you break a bowl and put back together, the structure is the same but slightly different in other ways.

Many artists have gotten a lot of intentional "work" done, even ones you don't think of and I won't mention so this thread doesn't derail haha. Carrie takes care of her skin along with health/fitness/diet. Carrie has always been the envy because she had the vocals, the popularity and fame from the start. Prior to Carrie, I remember the red carpet looks at CMAs and other awards shows not as glam but Carrie went into her first (?) CMA awards in a dress literally dripping of diamonds haha. Carrie sets trends. Just like she and brad set a standard for hosting and everyone else seems to suck now bc of the new standard.

MSCarriefan

In relation to country artists, Thomas Rhett's album still has not metacritic score. Luke Combs' album doesn't either. Interesting that a lot of country albums seem to be missing.

For some reason I feel like she might release a deluxe version early next year with more songs. Seems to be the norm especially with her touring through March and maybe UK in summer.

Last edited:

angeliccarrie

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I can see your point. I guess these things about Carrie are polarizing to some, but I find all of these things about Carrie are endearing and I'm happy she is so unique.

maddkat

Staff member
I feel like reviews have been much less important/popular in the past years, people care less and less about critics and wouldn't be surprised if they disappear in some more years..
I've never understood the point of reviews ( music, movies, anything). They're just one random persons view. Why would you listen to them on anything? And now in the age of streaming they are really pointless.

The Nanook

Anyone ordered the vinyl and happened to have received it already? Would be curious to see an unboxing and what the vinyl looks like in person.

Zach1998

I honestly feel like the industry looked for any reason to write Carrie off. They've never liked her, there's always been a bassline of bitterness toward her. Now that she's not selling like she has in the past, where it would be obvious if they omitted talking about her work, they're trying to phase her out. Even though they reviewed Maren's Humble Quest that sold less than Carrie's.

I've always had a wierd vibe from Billy. Some day's he's praising her, the other he's writing short snobby tweets like that. I'm sure there was at least one song he liked. Couldn't just say "Yeah (fill in the blank) is a good song," and be done with it?

We've got an album packed with radio ready songs though, so I do think this era will bring excitement going forward.

liz278

I honestly feel like the industry looked for any reason to write Carrie off. They've never liked her, there's always been a bassline of bitterness toward her. Now that she's not selling like she has in the past, where it would be obvious if they omitted talking about her work, they're trying to phase her out. Even though they reviewed Maren's Humble Quest that sold less than Carrie's.

I've always had a wierd vibe from Billy. Some day's he's praising her, the other he's writing short snobby tweets like that. I'm sure there was at least one song he liked. Couldn't just say "Yeah (fill in the blank) is a good song," and be done with it?

We've got an album packed with radio ready songs though, so I do think this era will bring excitement going forward.
This is why I think she hasn't won the EOTY at the CMAs. Also why I think if any woman wins it will be Miranda. I do think she will win someday when it is SO embarrassing to them not to award it to her.

CU4ever

All of this was sooo accurate. I read in on all the Nashville gossip websites, and I've read from someone who worked with Carrie had something really interesting to say about this. "My fiances uncle is a pretty big rockstar. He says Carrie Underwood is always rumored to be rude but it's just because of the treatment of female singers in the country realm. According to him, female artists are treated like crap so she had to come in with a big attitude and demand the respect she deserved. He said she is actually a really good person but takes absolutely no [redacted] and it comes across the wrong way. He says Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift were only able to become as massive as they have because of their attitude. He specifically says Taylor Swift is an anomaly in the country industry (despite not being country anymore) because she stood up to everyone and didn't back down to get to where she is."

This person went on to elaborate that country music is basically controlled by like four men, who are incredibly critical and especially critical with the women of country music. They've said that those four men won't let new women break through if they're married at a young age, etc. Well, point is, this is why Carrie and Taylor have had to be the way they are, and because of it, the industry has likely caused a lot of insiders to dislike Carrie.

I'm sure this is just a small part of the overall picture of the industry's dislike of Carrie, though.

liz278

All of this was sooo accurate. I read in on all the Nashville gossip websites, and I've read from someone who worked with Carrie had something really interesting to say about this. "My fiances uncle is a pretty big rockstar. He says Carrie Underwood is always rumored to be rude but it's just because of the treatment of female singers in the country realm. According to him, female artists are treated like crap so she had to come in with a big attitude and demand the respect she deserved. He said she is actually a really good person but takes absolutely no [redacted] and it comes across the wrong way. He says Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift were only able to become as massive as they have because of their attitude. He specifically says Taylor Swift is an anomaly in the country industry (despite not being country anymore) because she stood up to everyone and didn't back down to get to where she is."

This person went on to elaborate that country music is basically controlled by like four men, who are incredibly critical and especially critical with the women of country music. They've said that those four men won't let new women break through if they're married at a young age, etc. Well, point is, this is why Carrie and Taylor have had to be the way they are, and because of it, the industry has likely caused a lot of insiders to dislike Carrie.

I'm sure this is just a small part of the overall picture of the industry's dislike of Carrie, though.
I also remember an article or something that Carrie said that women had to be dressed up, while men could show up in jeans and a ratty t-shirt. She also said that women had to work 100 times harder than the men.

I know that it's old news but several women sued some men because of the sexual harassment they were forced to endure during radio tours. So if Carrie had to come across as tough I can totally get why she was, and I remember on several occasions seeing Ann with her. The old men who run country radio are for lack of better words "dirty old men" and they still make women work 100 times harder than the men.

The Nanook

heard this story today and it 100% reminded me of PEE
when she walks in poor everybody else...
https://soundcloud.com/user-678734954%2Fjon-gay-carrie-underwood-story
Poor Everybody Else (feat. Jennifer Lopez) when?

Funny he said that because when the SITW single cover came out there were a lot of comparisons to JLo.
f53f08a559252c198d6aa28e4118fbc6.jpg

Hil

This is why I think she hasn't won the EOTY at the CMAs. Also why I think if any woman wins it will be Miranda. I do think she will win someday when it is SO embarrassing to them not to award it to her.
The bold part do you mean Carrie or Miranda?