Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Cry Pretty' chart updates

CU4ever

Cry Pretty is still holding strong at #6 on the building chart, ahead of FGL and Brett. I hope she’ll be able to pass them soon and get at least a top five.

teesharky

Exactly.... If any of the songs in the top 5 now or the prior number #1's recently, CP deserves the top spot......

No once can tell me that the song is just not radio friendly, it is the lack of not playing it from the radio programmers.... bottom line..

Exactly - it’s radio friendly to everyone but the old guard male dominated radio programmers. All they want us the same truck and beer song over and over again.

ps - with Carrie doing IHeartRadio festival- one would think that IHeartRadio would hook a girl up with CP.

Cry Pretty is up to #8 on Mediabase now! If she is unable to go to #1 or #2, I hope at least it'll get top 5. Being able to say that all her singles have been top 5 singles sounds a lot more impressive than top 10. However, I wish it can go #1 because the song really deserves it.

Really,top 5 is not that bad for someone who’s consistently been putting out hit after hit for 13 years & not missing a beat.Top 5 is an accomplishment no matter what happens with the song or where it ends up landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly - it’s radio friendly to everyone but the old guard male dominated radio programmers. All they want us the same truck and beer song over and over again.

ps - with Carrie doing IHeartRadio festival- one would think that IHeartRadio would hook a girl up with CP.

Is it really that radio friendly when they end up cutting out Carrie’s beautiful falsetto at the end of the song?I was listening to it on Bobby Bones radio show & they ended up cutting that part out completely for some odd reason.To some radio programmers,the song may considered too long by radio standards,so they cut the part out so the song would fit within the timeframe they normally use to play songs on the radio.The male dominated radio programmers may play a part in all of this,but you can’t force them to play the song if they don’t want to or people won’t listen to it.They knew it was going to be a huge risk sending CP to radio considering how long the song was,it’s just not realistic to think that every male radio programmer would play it if they choose not to or if people just don’t want to hear the song.Trying to change the minds of male dominated radio programmers about playing more music by women isn’t going to happen overnight,it might take a lot longer than that to convince them to stop playing so many male singers.But what do you mean when you say that Iheart radio would hook up a girl with CP,what did you mean by that?

Jasu1112

I guess I'm an old Die-hard, but I haven't given up yet. It is still 3 weeks to Album Release, and they will continue to push it to #1 or #2 by then. Then they will put out the second single to boost Album Sales. She will be doing interviews steady to build the buzz - so I truly think we still have a shot!! Don't every underestimate the power of Carrie Underwood and her fans!!

gwade82

Really,top 5 is not that bad for someone who’s consistently been putting out hit after hit for 13 years & not missing a beat.Top 5 is an accomplishment no matter what happens with the song or where it ends up landing.

#1 is a much more harmonious outcome.

#1 is a much more harmonious outcome.

It is,but at this point,is it really that realistic to expect it to get to #1?It would take a HUGE push for CP to get to #1&its clear that radio doesn’t really want to play the song because if they had truly wanted to play it & a bigger push would’ve been made from it,it would be there,but it isn’t.Number one just doesn’t seem like it’s an outcome that’s going to happen at this point.I don’t get why people are thinking that top 5 is a failure,it really is NOT a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

teesharky

CryPretty the album is moving up fast on iTunes preorder charts. It’s 8 all genre now from 22 earlier.

Last edited:

Farawayhills

Can someone explain why country radio doesn’t play/ like female musicians.

I've said a little about the instrumental (and sound desk) musicians in the thread discussing Country Universe's comments on the CMA voting.

There are exceptions in the Mainstream - Blake Shelton, and Steven Tyler in his Country work, both use Jenee Fleenor as their fiddler - but such exceptions are few and far between.
The Erwin Sisters (the instrumental heart of the Dixie Chicks), who began appearing as children at Kerrville, and won best new band at Telluride, used to be the leading exception on radio (though it took them years, and changes of lead singer to get Nashville success). Their acoustic album "Home" was arguably the last time a work dominated by female instrumentalists got extensive play on Mainstream radio.

If your thinking mainly of solo singers, the question is harder to answer - mainly because earlier eras saw much more extensive appearance of female singers, both on radio generally, and on the charts. Any listing of Country legends would include many more women on radio than we hear today - and that was the case up to the early 2000s.

The official line from radio is that they are a business, not an artistic platform, and their call out research does not support a desire to hear consecutive plays by female singers, nor more than about 15% over the day. If true, one surprising feature is that many of the respondents to the research are themselves women - which would suggest that, on average, the female radio audience is not very supportive of other women.

Some (usually male) insiders have also argued that the more deep, edgy, or progressive style often favoured by female artists is no longer widely popular in the Mainstream radio constituency. Such judgments are widely resented, of course - but, sadly, they may contain an element of truth. The radio market is declining, and, as a generalization, it does not appear to be mainly focused on the younger market, the College sector, or the audience closer to the views of many music critics. The Country radio demographic has become increasingly "suburbanized", and will often only tolerate vague symbolic references to things like family, home towns, dirt roads, trucks, and good ole partying, to keep a Country identity alive. Many of the recent male singers have tended to settle for that mood (as a generalization), probably to a greater extent than many of the women. Also much Country radio listening is background mood music, heard while driving, or working - and this may not lend itself to much thematic edginess, or musical progression.

It does seem that many of today's women do better at streaming, live performance and critical approval than they do on radio (Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Margo price, for example) - which implies that their appeal is stronger with different tastes and demographics, outside the current radio audience.

Carrie has been the main exception - she has not deviated from varied and quality work, but has still retained radio support. Although "top ten" has been a disappointment to many fans in this era - it is still a unique run of successive radio hits (literally) for any woman in the format in the 21st century so far. That's no consolation for the other female artists (and those who would love to hear them broadcast more) - but it is something for her and her fans personally to take pride in.

Farawayhills

I would also say, incidentally, that this has not been the same issue, to anything like the same extent, in either Australia, or the British Isles, where female acts seem significantly more prominent in the local Country markets.

gwade82

It is,but at this point,is it really that realistic to expect it to get to #1?It would take a HUGE push for CP to get to #1&its clear that radio doesn’t really want to play the song because if they had truly wanted to play it & a bigger push would’ve been made from it,it would be there,but it isn’t.Number one just doesn’t seem like it’s an outcome that’s going to happen at this point.I don’t get why people are thinking that top 5 is a failure,it really is NOT a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

All together now on 3. PUSH!!!!!!!!!!!

mbh

I've said a little about the instrumental (and sound desk) musicians in the thread discussing Country Universe's comments on the CMA voting.

There are exceptions in the Mainstream - Blake Shelton, and Steven Tyler in his Country work, both use Jenee Fleenor as their fiddler - but such exceptions are few and far between.
The Erwin Sisters (the instrumental heart of the Dixie Chicks), who began appearing as children at Kerrville, and won best new band at Telluride, used to be the leading exception on radio (though it took them years, and changes of lead singer to get Nashville success). Their acoustic album "Home" was arguably the last time a work dominated by female instrumentalists got extensive play on Mainstream radio.

If your thinking mainly of solo singers, the question is harder to answer - mainly because earlier eras saw much more extensive appearance of female singers, both on radio generally, and on the charts. Any listing of Country legends would include many more women on radio than we hear today - and that was the case up to the early 2000s.

The official line from radio is that they are a business, not an artistic platform, and their call out research does not support a desire to hear consecutive plays by female singers, nor more than about 15% over the day. If true, one surprising feature is that many of the respondents to the research are themselves women - which would suggest that, on average, the female radio audience is not very supportive of other women.

Some (usually male) insiders have also argued that the more deep, edgy, or progressive style often favoured by female artists is no longer widely popular in the Mainstream radio constituency. Such judgments are widely resented, of course - but, sadly, they may contain an element of truth. The radio market is declining, and, as a generalization, it does not appear to be mainly focused on the younger market, the College sector, or the audience closer to the views of many music critics. The Country radio demographic has become increasingly "suburbanized", and will often only tolerate vague symbolic references to things like family, home towns, dirt roads, trucks, and good ole partying, to keep a Country identity alive. Many of the recent male singers have tended to settle for that mood (as a generalization), probably to a greater extent than many of the women. Also much Country radio listening is background mood music, heard while driving, or working - and this may not lend itself to much thematic edginess, or musical progression.

It does seem that many of today's women do better at streaming, live performance and critical approval than they do on radio (Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, Margo price, for example) - which implies that their appeal is stronger with different tastes and demographics, outside the current radio audience.

Carrie has been the main exception - she has not deviated from varied and quality work, but has still retained radio support. Although "top ten" has been a disappointment to many fans in this era - it is still a unique run of successive radio hits (literally) for any woman in the format in the 21st century so far. That's no consolation for the other female artists (and those who would love to hear them broadcast more) - but it is something for her and her fans personally to take pride in.

WOW! We are lucky that country radio gatekeepers are making it exceedingly easy for Carrie Underwood to succeed in radio airplay. All of Carrie's singles became number ONE except two singles that became number two only. Not to mention that Carrie's Jesus Take The Wheel had six weeks in number ONE and Carrie's Before He Cheats had five weeks in number ONE in 2005. And Carrie is in DEMAND on television shows, too. I pity the fans of other female country artists.

liz278

I keep seeing some of you saying "but radio doesn't want to play it" - please, after what goes number one on country radio I think it should be pushed to #1. I am tired of these mediocre songs getting to #1 when a song like CP has to struggle to get to the top! We all know that there is some sort of thing that gets these guys to #1 when the song is forgotten in a matter of days. So why can't we get CP to #1.
Okay rant over :)

Thanks so much for the in-depth reply.

I listened to a little of the American radio when I was waiting for Cry Pretty to debut and she was the only female I heard.

It seems the males can churn out any old thing but the females have to be something really special to be featured. It’s a shame as I think people are missing out on some fantastic performers.

I really love Cam and she discusses it sometimes so I just wanted to hear another perspective.

stuffy

I don't like throwing the word sexist around, but they're definitely sexist. They've actually said stupid stuff about how women want to imagine they can date the male artists. (No Lie) They believe it's a reason women don't want to hear other women. In some cases up and coming female singers are expected to flirt and sit on DJ/programmers laps to get their music played. If they refuse, the programmer will won't play their music. Kasey Musgraves has implied this is a reason for them not playing her. There was an article in January about the whole mess. Apparently the big radio promo thing (CRS? I don't remember the initials) can be a nightmare for female artists. Some have questioned why it hasn't been cancelled.

All that plus radio heads will cite callout scores, but they don't take into account the fact scores can be influenced by the lack of recognition. If women don't get played, then they can't be recognized which leads to low scores. There's also the drunk part party crowd with some male artists which leads to high beer sales at concerts and festivals.

maddkat

Staff member
CP passes 'Mercy' to move to #7 (+93/+.343)
7 CARRIE UNDERWOOD Cry Pretty 6202 5621 581 34.076

Canada: CP remains at #10 (-5/-.026)