Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Pretty Music Video

FanSince04

Loved it. How I missed her videos. She is singing Cyr Pretty next week on American Idol. She will also be the mentor! Wow, here we go!! Stream, stream, stream.

Holy smokes this is great news! Carrie is truly bringing it. I love the video so much because it’s simple enough that the message of the song shines through clearly. Yes, her singing to a crowd isn’t my favorite part, but the video is much better than any ST videos.

rcramer

Holy smokes this is great news! Carrie is truly bringing it. I love the video so much because it’s simple enough that the message of the song shines through clearly. Yes, her singing to a crowd isn’t my favorite part, but the video is much better than any ST videos.

I thought Smoke Break was a great video....

kdprouty

I thought it was great!!! I like to look at things as half full rather than half empty. WE have a new song, we have a video and she's going to sing on American Idol. Everything we've all been wishing for. Enjoy it!!

FanSince04

I thought Smoke Break was a great video....

I thought it didn’t have a point. It just was Carrie hitching a ride to a small bar joint and performing. It just didn’t do it for me. I usually like all her videos, but Heartbeat didn’t seem to have a point either. Church Bells and Didty Laundry just seemed to be filler videos. These are just my opinions.

Farawayhills

I agree with FanSince04, the clubland scene is definitely a nod to Before He Cheats (I don't know Nashville, so I can't say if it's filmed in Printers Alley, where the first one was - but it must have been intended to give a similar retrospective vibe)

The pink sunglasses may be a nod to Miranda Lambert's song (they have seemed to make visual references to each other's work in three or four of their recent videos). The point about those glasses in the song was that they're not only a device to protect your emotions - they're also mythical, in the sense that even if you lose them, it's still possible to conjure up a metaphorical pair to hide behind.

I really like the contrast between the glitz and glamour that's required on stage, no matter how it really feels - and the letting go at home. That is something that I expect many in the genre - especially women - feel. And it brings out the pressure of sustaining a "personality image" on tour and in showcases. I think the Mainstream, in particular, needs this portrayal, as it thrives on artificiality. Carrie's private persona shots focus on aspects of the reality behind the glitz.

I like the emphasis on the band in some shots - again, that isn't always the case in Mainstream videos. And I applaud her for not going for elaborate extra story line elements - something that I think would have distracted from the emphasis on emotion.

I'd rate this one of her best

maddkat

Staff member
I thought it didn’t have a point. It just was Carrie hitching a ride to a small bar joint and performing. It just didn’t do it for me. I usually like all her videos, but Heartbeat didn’t seem to have a point either. Church Bells and Didty Laundry just seemed to be filler videos. These are just my opinions.
wait you thought SB didn't have a point but CP does? emoji52.png

FanSince04

I agree with FanSince04, the clubland scene is definitely a nod to Before He Cheats (I don't know Nashville, so I can't say if it's filmed in Printers Alley, where the first one was - but it must have been intended to give a similar retrospective vibe)

The pink sunglasses may be a nod to Miranda Lambert's song (they have seemed to make visual references to each other's work in three or four of their recent videos). The point about those glasses in the song was that they're not only a device to protect your emotions - they're also mythical, in the sense that even if you lose them, it's still possible to conjure up a metaphorical pair to hide behind.

I really like the contrast between the glitz and glamour that's required on stage, no matter how it really feels - and the letting go at home. That is something that I expect many in the genre - especially women - feel. And it brings out the pressure of sustaining a "personality image" on tour and in showcases. I think the Mainstream, in particular, needs this portrayal, as it thrives on artificiality. Carrie's private persona shots focus on aspects of the reality behind the glitz.

I like the emphasis on the band in some shots - again, that isn't always the case in Mainstream videos. And I applaud her for not going for elaborate extra story line elements - something that I think would have distracted from the emphasis on emotion.

Wow! I really like your thorough run through of the video. Although, I haven’t picked up on the references between Miranda and Carrie’s videos. Would you mind pointing them out?

MSCarriefan

I liked the video overall. I think it fit the song almost leaving the question up to interpretation in everyone's head...why is she crying?

FanSince04

wait you thought SB didn't have a point but CP does? View attachment 31090

Absolutely. The whole point of CP is about letting yourself feel the emotion that comes over you instead of faking it. The entire video portrays a character (assuming this isn’t how Carrie really sees herself since she doesn’t typically wear that type of clothing, except the outfit on stage) doing an amazing job performing for the audience, but falling apart in the limo, hotel, and feeling isolated in the streets hiding behind sunglasses and over the top outfits. SB just seemed like a free spirited video budiling up to a performance. I simply didn’t feel it went with the song. As always this is my opinion. You are welcome to share why you disagree 🤔

liz278

I guess I am in the minority right now, but I really liked the video. And I liked Farawayhills comments, agree with everything you said.

carriethequeen

She looks great but the video is a little dull. Videos that rely heavily on the artist singing live to a crowd often lack substance.
I think they could've added a little more story but the imagery with the shower scene/where she has a drink are great.

I agree 100%. I also found it odd they added screaming fans over the big notes at the end. It just seems to clash with the message of the song. Overall I would say this video is good, not great.

CrazyAboutCarrie

Very well said! The comments on youtube are nothing but positive. Love reading all of them. I love the video and song.