Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CU8

Momin

Whether D&R was a great album or not is an objective discussion but one thing we all can't deny is that the whole era was very mixed - marketing, reception, chart positions, how much fans loved it or not etc. This has so far, in my opinion, been the downest era overall. Of course many different factors that went in it - but that's not relevant to discuss right now.

What I was thinking about was: Carrie has taken some big risks in her career and done some bold moves stylistically, musically, sonically. Almost every album felt like it upped the game and had everyone turn their heads to talk about something interesting she did on an album, even if it was a deep cut that stood out. So I thought I'd list down what, in my opinion, have been some bold choices she's made on all past albums.

Some Hearts
- Starting with a Christian themed song
- Following up soon with a cheating song
- Overall paving the way for a new era in country music

Carnival Ride
- Not sure what risky/bold moves she did here; perhaps bringing an old country legend back to the spotlight and boosting their super traditional sounding song which, now looking back, is a bit of a surprise of how that succeeded

Play On
- Bringing Max Martin and Shellback on perhaps the most country song they've worked on (Quitter)
- A TV special which only the likes of Reba and Dolly had done as country singers
- Cowboy Casanova, I think, was a very unique sound and still is; the way the steel is used is extremely different to other songs I've heard

Blown Away
- The music videos
- GG was a very brash sounding song, in a good way, that many can't pull off as a country artist
- Bringing southern gothic themes through TBC
- Charting new musical territory on different songs like LLA and FC

Storyteller
- CCA, hands down, one of the best songs of her career
- The alternative sounding production in many songs, even DL which I still think is very different and stands out

Cry Pretty
- The title song, also hands down one of the best songs of her career
- Experimentation with pop sounds which, to me, were successfully done
- TB was a topic that nobody wanted to touch; she did and she did it well

Denim & Rhinestones

- Honestly, not quite sure what the bold moves are here. Opening for G&R on tour? Singing live with them many times? But that's less to do with the album itself, more to do with opportunity. What do you guys think?

FanSince04

Whether D&R was a great album or not is an objective discussion but one thing we all can't deny is that the whole era was very mixed - marketing, reception, chart positions, how much fans loved it or not etc. This has so far, in my opinion, been the downest era overall. Of course many different factors that went in it - but that's not relevant to discuss right now.

What I was thinking about was: Carrie has taken some big risks in her career and done some bold moves stylistically, musically, sonically. Almost every album felt like it upped the game and had everyone turn their heads to talk about something interesting she did on an album, even if it was a deep cut that stood out. So I thought I'd list down what, in my opinion, have been some bold choices she's made on all past albums.

Some Hearts

Carnival Ride
- Not sure what risky/bold moves she did here; perhaps bringing an old country legend back to the spotlight and boosting their super traditional sounding song which, now looking back, is a bit of a surprise of how that succeeded

Play On
- Bringing Max Martin and Shellback on perhaps the most country song they've worked on (Quitter)
- A TV special which only the likes of Reba and Dolly had done as country singers
- Cowboy Casanova, I think, was a very unique sound and still is; the way the steel is used is extremely different to other songs I've heard

Blown Away
- The music videos
- GG was a very brash sounding song, in a good way, that many can't pull off as a country artist

Storyteller
- The alternative sounding production in many songs, even DL which I still think is very different and stands out

Cry Pretty

Denim & Rhinestones
- Honestly, not quite sure what the bold moves are here. Opening for G&R on tour? Singing live with them many times? But that's less to do with the album itself, more to do with opportunity. What do you guys think?
Denim & Rhinestones is focused on fun and feel good music. She let her pop and rock influences shine through unlike other albums.

Eder Rodrigues

I think after 'My Savior,' the general audience was expecting a more traditional, more Country album, and when she released 'Denim and Rhinestones,' it shattered all expectations, leading to even greater disinterest from casual listeners who probably weren't even aware of the release of 'Ghost Story,' given its low commercial performance.

abbeyjones18

I think after 'My Savior,' the general audience was expecting a more traditional, more Country album, and when she released 'Denim and Rhinestones,' it shattered all expectations, leading to even greater disinterest from casual listeners who probably weren't even aware of the release of 'Ghost Story,' given its low commercial performance.
It was a bit of a shock to the system, for me, at least. GS was also just too incomplete...I mean, was the character stalking the ex? What's the backstory? I'm not asking for a novel, lol, but it didn't grab me like Blown Away, TBC, or CCA did.

CU4ever

Some Hearts

Carnival Ride

Play On

Blown Away
- The music videos

Storyteller

Cry Pretty

Denim & Rhinestones
I think D&R sounded very pop and had a nice production. Don’t get me wrong, it has so many songs I love on it and it definitely has a feel. But my problem with the era was the promo and general rollout of this era didn’t match the sound of the album. It was an extremely quiet era overall. Yes Carrie did tour, but it was shorter than ever before. Aside from that, there was little promo release week and I felt that My Gift era had more promo and excitement put into it. This was supposed to be a fun album, it was! But the era didn’t match that. To start off, the lead single didn’t set the tone for the album. And I just kind of feel like, aside from the tour, there was just less promo all around for this album and public events, than there was for the Christmas album which was released in 2020 of all years. I don’t know why that might be. Maybe it was this time of the year was released, maybe it was UMG, maybe Carrie was exhausted and just wanted an easy era after doing two holiday albums in a row, I’m not really sure what the answer was. But think of all the things you see when Taylor Swift releases a new album. All the different merchandise they have, the events and things like that. Then just think of Carrie’s last roll outs (Cry Pretty and before) and all the different things that she did with those, there was just a lot of noise those whole eras, something that just there wasn’t this era. I legitimately think a lot of her fans or casual listeners Literally did not know much about this era or this album. It was just so quiet and I think that might have led to a lack of bold moves. I would also say that this album sounded very similar to her last album, it was just different themes and topics, which gave it a bit of a different sound, and kept it from being a completely same sound. I really think Carrie needs to maybe not work with David Garcia next era, as well as hire a new team or something to promote her like the star she is.

Momin

I agree with this. I think many people were expecting a more traditional sound AND were very excited too because she hadn't done that down home kind of vibe in a long time + she's been part of many tributes recently which really put her excellence at traditional sounds on display. D&R definitely was confusing.

lizcarlo

I want Carrie to do slow country throwback song one of these days on album. I think her voice would sound so beautiful on that type of song.

PRGuy79

I think D&R sounded very pop and had a nice production. Don’t get me wrong, it has so many songs I love on it and it definitely has a feel. But my problem with the era was the promo and general rollout of this era didn’t match the sound of the album. It was an extremely quiet era overall. Yes Carrie did tour, but it was shorter than ever before. Aside from that, there was little promo release week and I felt that My Gift era had more promo and excitement put into it. This was supposed to be a fun album, it was! But the era didn’t match that. To start off, the lead single didn’t set the tone for the album. And I just kind of feel like, aside from the tour, there was just less promo all around for this album and public events, than there was for the Christmas album which was released in 2020 of all years. I don’t know why that might be. Maybe it was this time of the year was released, maybe it was UMG, maybe Carrie was exhausted and just wanted an easy era after doing two holiday albums in a row, I’m not really sure what the answer was. But think of all the things you see when Taylor Swift releases a new album. All the different merchandise they have, the events and things like that. Then just think of Carrie’s last roll outs (Cry Pretty and before) and all the different things that she did with those, there was just a lot of noise those whole eras, something that just there wasn’t this era. I legitimately think a lot of her fans or casual listeners Literally did not know much about this era or this album. It was just so quiet and I think that might have led to a lack of bold moves. I would also say that this album sounded very similar to her last album, it was just different themes and topics, which gave it a bit of a different sound, and kept it from being a completely same sound. I really think Carrie needs to maybe not work with David Garcia next era, as well as hire a new team or something to promote her like the star she is.
For me, yes to all of this... ^^

CU4ever

It's a two part album, no? I think part 1 comes out in November. The duet could be on part 2.
I don’t think so. The DJ on the radio said the twenty four track album will be out in November unless they’re both 24 tracks

Last edited: