Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

pkc4rls

Wow, thanks so much for posting this.

You know, I really did not hear that in my TV. It may be the way different tv's speakers are.

I admit that the sound lended an air of "liveness" to the telecast. But Wow, my viewing of it was not like that all.

I can see how distracting and even disappointing that would have been.
I am going to put my dvd in right now and see if it is there.
(I'll be Back!!)

And no I hear nothing out of the ordinary on that youtube video - that is for maddkat - and I hear nothing on my DVR or on the DVD. And yes, I did call it complaining but as carrieflatsfan said, I guess it is really just an opinion. I will just stop and calmly say I know it will always be a part of being a Carrie fan so, so be it. I will continue to watch it and continue to not hear any hissing lol :) And the funny thing is, everyone I know that I talk to regularly watched it and they are not fans (I mean they like her but don't follow her) and not one has mentioned hearing anything out of the ordinary (no one says oh I think I may have heard some hissing) but I will just concede the argument because it is not winnable lol.

Last edited:

pklongbeach

Ok, I'm back.

First I find it kind of fascinating, the discussion in general. But it can really be defined in so many ways.

When it first starts and you hear the bells ringing, I feel like I can also hear the sounds of nature in the back ground. Birds maybe, a brook trickling. I thought it was intentional. And I loved it.

What I noticed in the first viewing and is still there for me, is the sound of them being on a sound stage and the mics pick up foot steps or costumes moving, or any slight thing. I actually like that very much, because again it reminds me that this is happening right now on a sound stage with real actors and real sound guys working to get it right.
I actually love the imperfections in that regard.

I am always aware when I watch films that I am not actually hearing what is happening in the room with the actors and that all the sound is "recreated".
But this is Live. Just like as if you were sitting in a theater. So of course your ears have to adapt to the unique sound of this experience.

But I will say this, My TV still does not make it as pronounced as that YT video. I can hear the faint sounds in the back ground of mics turned up to loud (which is usually why you get white noise), and the ruffling of costumes or unnecessarily loud footsteps. The echo in general is a bit off as well.

But this is all to remind me that this as a play!! ITs happening in real time. I love that about it.
If it were supposed to be perfect, than Carries performance would be flawed, but as a live and living experience everything is enhanced with that excitement.

I watch it like a play.

Not a perfect polished NBC Production.

And I love it for all its perfect imperfections!!

maddkat

Staff member
It is not complaining, it is a conversation that was brought up. We were explaining the possible reasons for things, that the man himself said! I'm sure Donna loves the DVD, she is one of the most dedicated fans. As for me loving it, I just bought my 10th! Thought of someone else who would appreciate the gift.

tx ,I so do. Imperfections and all.

maddkat

Staff member
Ok, I'm back.

First I find it kind of fascinating, the discussion in general. But it can really be defined in so many ways.

When it first starts and you hear the bells ringing, I feel like I can also hear the sounds of nature in the back ground. Birds maybe, a brook trickling. I thought it was intentional. And I loved it.

What I noticed in the first viewing and is still there for me, is the sound of them being on a sound stage and the mics pick up foot steps or costumes moving, or any slight thing. I actually like that very much, because again it reminds me that this is happening right now on a sound stage with real actors and real sound guys working to get it right.
I actually love the imperfections in that regard.

I am always aware when I watch films that I am not actually hearing what is happening in the room with the actors and that all the sound is "recreated".
But this is Live. Just like as if you were sitting in a theater. So of course your ears have to adapt to the unique sound of this experience.

But I will say this, My TV still does not make it as pronounced as that YT video. I can hear the faint sounds in the back ground of mics turned up to loud (which is usually why you get white noise), and the ruffling of costumes or unnecessarily loud footsteps. The echo in general is a bit off as well.

But this is all to remind me that this as a play!! ITs happening in real time. I love that about it.
If it were supposed to be perfect, than Carries performance would be flawed, but as a live and living experience everything is enhanced with that excitement.

I watch it like a play.

Not a perfect polished NBC Production.

And I love it for all its perfect imperfections!!

I agree, I love all the little sounds of the clothes rustling, the footsteps , the lack of background music.
This was live theater and it was wonderful!

I'm guessing the hiss was intensified either by some TVs or just the cable companies feeds.I also had a weather warning crawl across the bottom of the TV for the whole show.Ugh .But those has not stopped me from watching 3 times, and after the holidays when I have more time I'm sure I'll be watching it a few more times on DVD without the weather warnings. Yay.

pklongbeach

Awwww, that second quote made me so happy.

People forget, the first rule of live theater is "the show must go on..", and these producers must have spent some sleepless nights wondering what on earth they had done to themselves and if it was even possible to do this huge titanic of a play live straight through with the lead on stage almost the entire show!!

OF course they were thrilled!! The entire thing came off without a hitch.

armchair critics show their ignorance by not acknowledging how amazing it was that she did it so completely!!!

pklongbeach

I agree, I love all the little sounds of the clothes rustling, the footsteps , the lack of background music.
This was live theater and it was wonderful!

I'm guessing the hiss was intensified either by some TVs or just the cable companies feeds.I also had a weather warning crawl across the bottom of the TV for the whole show.Ugh .But those has not stopped me from watching 3 times, and after the holidays when I have more time I'm sure I'll be watching it a few more times on DVD without the weather warnings. Yay.

YEs, I am totally convinced based on that YT video, that someone peoples sound experience was different than others.

I loved mine, sorry!!! hee hee hee.

gran29

Obviously it could be missed since so many said they did not hear it lol. He talked about the fountain making noise is all I remember and it sounded like a fountain. And don't tell me some on here don't listen for every flaw lol because we know they do lol - go back and find the comments after every single performance. The mic had a problem or the sound system had a problem. I mean I could imagine that once or twice but some say it after every single performance.

The first time I noticed it was during DoReMi when they moved outside. I assumed it was the fountain but it was still there during the next indoor scene. It seemed to come and go. It wasn't steady, but it was noticable. It was still there Saturday when they rebroadcast it.

The Nanook

Kind of related, but here are some more holiday special ratings if you're interested: Michael Buble's special got 5 million viewers and a 1.3 rating. Celine Dion's got 4.9 million viewers and a 0.6 rating. Kelly's got 5.3 million not too long ago. Carrie's holiday special from 2009 got 8.1 million (there obviously are other factors involved, but it's pretty evident that at least with the show type as a constant - holiday specials, the show with Carrie's involvement drew the biggest crowd). And of course we know how The Sound of Music Live! did, ratings-wise.

pkc4rls

I hope Carrie is in the Best and not the Worst of 2013--- lol-- so I am afraid to check this ou
Bby19wnIQAAizeg.jpg
t when it comes in. lol

Well, SOM and/or Carrie wasn't listed in the Worst if that makes you feel better:). But she or they weren't in the Best area either. She is just mentioned in the bullseye area on the last page - or did you already discover this and talked about it?

Side note: They did list Brad's single Accidental Racist as the worst single (#1) of the year :(.

But anyway, Carrie or SOM is not mentioned in those two areas - just the back.

judes

^^ Any of the things on the Best and Worst lists occur after Dec 5th? Thinking the mag may have been in last stages of printing when Dec 5th rolled around so SOM Live just gets a mention - what does the mention say?

pkc4rls

^^ Any of the things on the Best and Worst lists occur after Dec 5th? Thinking the mag may have been in last stages of printing when Dec 5th rolled around so SOM Live just gets a mention - what does the mention say?

Oh they took their dig - it has her SOM pic with an arrow cuz is their bullseye page and says "How do you solve a problem like her acting?" :(

I had not thought about the idea that it is all from before Dec. 5 but probably is. Since Tee mentioned it, I immediately looked when I got it but I hadn't thought of the cutoff now that you said that.

epicamends

I didn't hear a hiss when I watched it live. I'm sad to hear the DVD has the hiss - that could have fairly easily been edited out or at least limited.

pkc4rls

I didn't hear a hiss when I watched it live. I'm sad to hear the DVD has the hiss - that could have fairly easily been edited out or at least limited.

No, I don't think they are saying it does. I kind of gave up on the whole thing lol but I think some were saying the live version does have one and are wondering if the DVD does too. I didn't agree that the live version did but some do and that is the whole bottom line on it - I think lol :).

Marie2011

Well, SOM and/or Carrie wasn't listed in the Worst if that makes you feel better:). But she or they weren't in the Best area either. She is just mentioned in the bullseye area on the last page - or did you already discover this and talked about it?

Side note: They did list Brad's single Accidental Racist as the worst single (#1) of the year :(.

Imo accidental racist shouldn't be listed cause it was never released as a single it is a song. He didn't have to be, online, I can't change the world, beat this summer, start a band etc.etc are singles however accidental racist, a man don't have to die, don't drink the water, etc.etc are not singles since they were not released to radio they are songs.

And imo accidental racist is about judging people on the outside and not realizing it and we all do it, we don't do it often but there are times in which we judge someone by their appearance, or what we have heard before we even meet them. The song is not racist overall imo the point of the song was to have people to stop judging people on the outside, and to step out of one southern comfort zone and getting to know people who you would not normally hang out with.

Mirasa45A

This was live theater and it was wonderfu
l!

I agree -- I also love the sound of Carrie out of breath after going up and down the stairs singing "Do Re Me" -- this proves that it's really really "LIVE" !!

pkc4rls

Imo accidental racist shouldn't be listed cause it was never released as a single it is a song. He didn't have to be, online, I can't change the world, beat this summer, start a band etc.etc are singles however accidental racist, a man don't have to die, don't drink the water, etc.etc are not singles since they were not released to radio they are songs.

And imo accidental racist is about judging people on the outside and not realizing it and we all do it, we don't do it often but there are times in which we judge someone by their appearance, or what we have heard before we even meet them. The song is not racist overall imo the point of the song was to have people to stop judging people on the outside, and to step out of one southern comfort zone and getting to know people who you would not normally hang out with.

Well anyways, that is what the magazine calls it. Under Worst Music Of The Year, they list it under Worst Singles. And that was just a side note I threw in when talking about Carrie's mention in the mag and was not intended to get this thread headed towards talking about Brad's song lol. Sorry.

teesharky

ugh. tx for the warning . My EW has not arrived in the mail yet.

At least she did not make the Worst of list. But this is the second time the Bullseye trashed her. They trashed her for her Beatles cover at the Emmys too. Those people who do the page must not like Carrie very must. They seem to leave TS alone and always target Carrie.

Naturally they did not mention Carrie's superb singing in SOM. They just focused on the acting. That is getting really frustrating.

If you are going to critique Carrie for SOM-- at least be honest and fair. Mention her strengths- singing and dancing- and the weak spots.

These snarky pricks only focus on the weak spot and ignore all the wonderful things she accomplished in SOM.

Hate them.

Smokyiiis

I never got that horrible hiss sound on my tv either. And I can't tell you how thankful I am to have been in a state of confusion for this long. Until hearing the you tube video I thought the majority of people were nutzoid. Love my version!