Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

oldyfan

In my mind the story is the same, watching the two are so different. I know people are still comparing...I just don't see anything but the wonderful Carrie singing and acting live for 44 million view(er)s. The SOM was always my favorite movie...now it has become only my favorite live event. The movie is wonderful, but watching a live production has now spoiled the movie for me. I am in awe of three hours live, it's reminded me how much I enjoy the intimacy of the theater.

opry051008

To be fair to Stephen, he had to go Broadway to make the scenes with Elsa and Max work as Laura and Christian were playing their characters in full Broadway mode. And it would be tough to switch back and forth.

That's a good point.

I think that Carrie not being in Broadway mode contributed to some of the harsh criticism from critics but I think that's actually what was moving about her performance. It made me laugh that in the big Climb Every Mountain scene with Audra, my "non-broadway" mom kept saying "why is Audra talking like that, it's not natural." lol.

Schrodinger

Carrie has had such a wonderful success and gave such a beautiful performance it appears to have inspired Mike to follow in her footsteps & participate in a musical, of sorts. It's not SOML. but what is. What do you think of Mike's effort?

clh_hilary

Carrie has had such a wonderful success and gave such a beautiful performance it appears to have inspired Mike to follow in her footsteps & participate in a musical, of sorts. It's not SOML. but what is. What do you think of Mike's effort?

Well he didn't actually do anything.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
That's a good point.

I think that Carrie not being in Broadway mode contributed to some of the harsh criticism from critics but I think that's actually what was moving about her performance. It made me laugh that in the big Climb Every Mountain scene with Audra, my "non-broadway" mom kept saying "why is Audra talking like that, it's not natural." lol.

That is exactly what happened. Basically the entire cast was made up of Broadway veterans except for the children (who clearly had musical theater experience), Stephen (who also has musical theater experience) and Carrie (who had zero live theater experience). And given everything Carrie had to learn and do in preparation for SOML, there was no way she was going to come up to speed on doing the Broadway style of acting. So her acting was in a more natural style. And Carrie's acting was actually very good and appropriate for television. But because the rest of the cast was in full Broadway mode, Carrie's delivery seems weak upon first viewing. But on multiple viewings, the mind starts adjusting to the difference in styles and people start picking up the subtleties in Carrie's performance. And the end result is that Carrie's performance "grows on you". But unfortunately critics go off first impressions which leads to poor reviews. So in the end, Carrie gets blasted in the press and online and many of those people will never go back and watch it again and really appreciate how well Carrie actually did.

mlawlor

Tried to request My Favourite Things from my country station - they didn't have it; perhaps I should request Taylor Swift's Silent Night instead lol

clh_hilary

That is exactly what happened. Basically the entire cast was made up of Broadway veterans except for the children (who clearly had musical theater experience), Stephen (who also has musical theater experience) and Carrie (who had zero live theater experience). And given everything Carrie had to learn and do in preparation for SOML, there was no way she was going to come up to speed on doing the Broadway style of acting. So her acting was in a more natural style. And Carrie's acting was actually very good and appropriate for television. But because the rest of the cast was in full Broadway mode, Carrie's delivery seems weak upon first viewing. But on multiple viewings, the mind starts adjusting to the difference in styles and people start picking up the subtleties in Carrie's performance. And the end result is that Carrie's performance "grows on you". But unfortunately critics go off first impressions which leads to poor reviews. So in the end, Carrie gets blasted in the press and online and many of those people will never go back and watch it again and really appreciate how well Carrie actually did.

Carrie also got blasted in the press because she was the only person relevant there, and she was the centre of the entire promotional campaign for The Sound of Music.

mbh

VERY WELL SAID!!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up. Carrie learned humility early in her life as a farm girl. Trained as a MAGNA CUM LAUDE in Broadcast Journalism in UNIVERSITY - and she could have pursued that, but, she instead pursued her goal even with some failed attempt during her teenage years.

Discipline is the greatest thing that Carrie has, coupled with best and hardest work. Where there is no discipline, there is no character. And without character there is no progress ...... Adversity from the critics - gives her opportunities TO GROW "MORE". And Carrie, usually, gets what she works for.

CARRIE WILL GROW TALL IN CHARACTER AND THE QUALITIES THAT BRING SUCCESS.

pkc4rls

To be fair to Stephen, he had to go Broadway to make the scenes with Elsa and Max work as Laura and Christian were playing their characters in full Broadway mode. And it would be tough to switch back and forth.

Well, I found myself wondering after if the others were going full Broadway mode mostly because that was what they were told (as if play this like a Broadway play) or possibly how they chose to approach it individually based on there normal Broadway experience??!! (And I think it said Stephen had not done theater in like 15 or 18 yrs but it probably always stays in your blood I guess). I ONLY say that because if you read what the producers said, they were going for a movie look to draw in the wider audience and is why they didn't do it on a Broadway stage with a live audience. They said doing a PBS thing on a stage would not have drawn the interest that SOML did. So the inference to me was that people want to see a movie and not a play. In that sense, I can see Carrie playing it the way she did because that was her take on it possibly. But then I know they were doing the Broadway version of the script so I guess it is confusing to me on what the goal was acting wise. Carrie certainly did come off much more natural and is what most of the viewing audience, including me, would be used to and normally would probably like more - if all had done it that way possibly. But I do realize they advertised it all along as the Broadway play version. But maybe the critical people saw all the rest doing it more Broadway theater like and automatically thought Carrie was doing it all wrong or some such nonsense :(. And maybe the producers could of or should have tried to get them to play it more the same as a couple?? (And I say that ONLY because we were reading some people say they had no chemistry and I think the difference in styles may have been perceived as no chemistry)??

BUT let me say finally, they all did wonderful regardless of how they played it. That is the end result and the only result I care about. To accomplish what they did - 3 hrs of live TV - with no major hiccups, is astonishing and should be commended. :)

Last edited:

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
Well, I found myself wondering after if the others were going full Broadway mode mostly because that was what they were told (as if play this like a Broadway play) or possibly how they chose to approach it individually based on there normal Broadway experience??!! (And I think it said Stephen had not done theater in like 18 yrs but it probably always stays in your blood I guess). I ONLY say that because if you read what the producers said, they were going for a movie look to draw in the wider audience and is why they didn't do it on a Broadway stage with a live audience. They said doing a PBS thing on a stage would not have drawn the interest that SOML did. So the inference to me was that people want to see a movie and not a play. In that sense, I can see Carrie playing it the way she did because that was her take on it possibly. But then I know they were doing the Broadway version script so I guess it is confusing to me on what was the goal acting wise. Carrie certainly did come off much more natural and is what most of the viewing audience, including me, would be used to and normally would probably like more - if all had done it that way possibly. But maybe the critical people saw all the rest doing it more Broadway theater like and automatically thought Carrie was doing it all wrong or some such nonsense :(. And maybe the producers could of or should have tried to get them to play it more the same as a couple?? (And I say that ONLY because we were reading some people say they had no chemistry and I think the difference in styles may have been perceived as no chemistry)??

BUT let me say finally, they all did wonderful regardless of how they played it. That is the end result and the only result I care about.

Just my opinion, but if they didn't want a Broadway-style production, they wouldn't have stacked the cast with Broadway talent. Doing movie-style acting would mean most of the cast would have to change from their normal acting style. And that does not make any sense.

jptexas

I've seen the SOML 4 times now and Carrie gets better every time. I think this show will be a Christmas tradition for years to come, just like watching Peanuts, Rudolph, Frosty, and of course A Christmas Story. This show made Carrie a generational
star. My kids and Grandkids will be watching Carrie for years to come. Her courage in taking the part was a God send.

pkc4rls

Just my opinion, but if they didn't want a Broadway-style production, they wouldn't have stacked the cast with Broadway talent. Doing movie-style acting would mean most of the cast would have to change from their normal acting style. And that does not make any sense.

Well, I also thought they hired those types because they wanted proficient singers and where else do you go to get that or who else would have probably "applied" when that is requested. But listen, we were just comparing the two styles of the male leads and in the end we all think the same, that it was wonderful, so not sure this is even an issue. BUT to your point, most are also actors and if it was even desired, they could of, like they always do, ask a person to play it a certain way. To say they can't change their style of acting because they have Broadway experience, may be cutting their abilities short (well, I am sure it is). But again, I don't even see this as a big issue. It started off as a simple comment and grew into this. I mean some people being critical commented about the chemistry between some of the parties and I was commenting on why that may be perceived that way and then how Christopher and Stephen played it differently, and probably understandably. And then opry stated Carrie could have probably used a co-star more soft-spoken like her and then it went from there.

But let me say Cary, I DO agree with your basic premise of how it went down -- in that all played it more like theater except Carrie because that was where much of their experience was coming from and not where Carrie's experience was coming from. :)

PS: The thing I don't get is how is it that little comments on this forum then somehow turns into this debate as if the person commenting is then somehow against the person or persons being discussed. And I mean the fact that a comment by a couple of us comparing the two acting styles of the leading males is then perceived that we are somehow against the actor or actors or the production or whatever. That is simply NOT the case!! It is like clockwork on here that this happens. Has it really come to the point that all must say nothing regarding why things may be perceived this way or that way without someone trying to put all this effort into proving why that person is wrong.

Last edited:

liveasong

Not sure if you're sarcastic but it's quite obvious that they only paste their still head photo to those moving bodies. Cannot see it compares to Carrie's.

file.jpg

maddkat

Staff member
Well, I also thought they hired those types because they wanted proficient singers and where else do you go to get that or who else would have probably "applied" when that is requested. But listen, we were just comparing the two styles of the male leads and in the end we all think the same, that it was wonderful, so not sure this is even an issue. BUT to your point, most are also actors and if it was even desired, they could of, like they always do, ask a person to play it a certain way. To say they can't change their style of acting because they have Broadway experience, may be cutting their abilities short (well, I am sure it is). But again, I don't even see this as a big issue. It started off as a simple comment and grew into this. I mean some people being critical commented about the chemistry between some of the parties and I was commenting on why that may be perceived that way and then how Christopher and Stephen played it differently, and probably understandably. And then opry stated Carrie could have probably used a co-star more soft-spoken like her and then it went from there.

But let me say Cary, I DO agree with your basic premise of how it went down -- in that all played it more like theater except Carrie because that was where much of their experience was coming from and not where Carrie's experience was coming from. :)

PS: The thing I don't get is how is it that little comments on this forum then somehow turns into this debate as if the person commenting is then somehow against the person or persons being discussed. And I mean the fact that a comment by a couple of us comparing the two acting styles of the leading males is then perceived that we are somehow against the actor or actors or the production or whatever. That is simply NOT the case!! It is like clockwork on here that this happens. Has it really come to the point that all must say nothing regarding why things may be perceived this way or that way without someone trying to put all this effort into proving why that person is wrong.

in regards to your PS - it's called a discussion.Lots of people have them everyday

Now as to the two styles, seems to me that there was a director for the musical numbers and a director for the cameras but not a director over the project as a whole.Someone to tell the Broadway actors to tone it down a notch and to tell Carrie to bring it up a notch. Seems the actors where left to their own devices in that regard.

teesharky

Carrie is getting lots of love for SOM at Christmas parties. Haha my extended family loved her. Very happy about that as my family can be a bit opinionated at times about movies- lol- everyone's a critic. Lol but they loved it. They felt she was charming and sang beautifully.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
in regards to your PS - it's called a discussion.Lots of people have them everyday

Now as to the two styles, seems to me that there was a director for the musical numbers and a director for the cameras but not a director over the project as a whole.Someone to tell the Broadway actors to tone it down a notch and to tell Carrie to bring it up a notch. Seems the actors where left to their own devices in that regard.

Rob Ashford was the director responsible for the acting. He is listed in the credits as Theatrical Director. He was also responsible for the choreography. David Chase was the Music Director. Beth McCarthy-Miller was responsible for the camera shots.