Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

bluetb4

I bet she loves Carrie's version!!

Lexi Rose ⭐ ‏@Lex_Luther9 2h2 hours ago Decided to watch the Carrie Underwood version of Sound of Music... I love her but wondering how long into it I'll be regretting everything.

pklongbeach

looks good. Don't like choice of Grande, but thats just me. she seems entirely too Booshy.....

But everyone else looks great.

ethelu

I went to see TSOM last night as part of the Broadway Series at the Majestic Theatre. It was so different from Carrie's version, in spite of the fact that the dialogue was exactly the same. The actress who played Maria, gave her kind of a goofy personality, like Maria was being played by a comedienne. It was very strange, and she didn't show nearly the sincerity that Carrie did. The way she would say the very same lines that Carrie did, seemed to be to try to get a laugh from the audience. Even during the romantic scene with the captain, some of that goofiness came out. I didn't care for it. She had a lovely singing voice. All of the cast were good singers, especially the Mother Abbess. The captain was played by a tall actor with a slightly greying beard. He was good, but lacked the anger and emotion that Stephen showed. I prefer Stephen's interpretation. The role of the baroness was played by an actress slightly older than we're used to, and played as a bit of a ditsy blonde. It was difficult to see why the captain would be interested in a woman with that type of personality. Then again, he falls for goofy Maria.

They changed the lyrics to Something Good. Instead of singing about Maria's miserable childhood and youth, they sang about how unexpected their love was. They kept the line "I must have done something good", and all of the "For here you are, standing there, loving me" part. It wasn't bad, just surprising and you really wanted to hear the original.

There was a lot less dancing. The kids danced a tiny bit at the end of Do Re Mi, and no dancing on the stairs. The Landler was much simpler, except they added other couples for part of it, kind of like a Virginia Reel. No dancing or jumping on the bed during TLG, and no mountain to run up and down. Maria sings TSOM on a foot bridge. Carrie had a much more difficult job, physically.

When I got home, I watched parts of SOML. So, so much better. I think that if people had seen SOML in a theatre instead of on TV, Carrie would have gotten terrific reviews. All of the acting in SOML was better than what I saw in the Broadway road show. I have an even greater appreciation now for what Carrie and the rest of the cast did in SOML.

angeliccarrie

E-news just ranked the musicals shown on TV and put SOM last. They said Carrie's acting was cringe worthy. I am so mad. I can't believe they said that.

ethelu

E-news just ranked the musicals shown on TV and put SOM last. They said Carrie's acting was cringe worthy. I am so mad. I can't believe they said that.

What is the point of rating them, anyway? I think if people watched SOML again, they would realize Carrie was much better than they remembered. Julie Andrew's TSOM was so ingrained in everyone's memory, it seemed strange to hear a different actress saying the lines differently. I was thrown at first when I watched it the first time. I couldn't get the movie out of my mind. It was so much better the second time, and now I just love Carrie's performance. She was so innocent and sincere as Maria. I wonder who decided on that ranking? A couple of E-New writers? I think if you did a poll, most people would much prefer SOML to Peter Pan.

Happy news, Audra and her husband welcomed their baby girl last night. Neil & Craig have already congratulated her. I'm sure that Laura will, as she and Audra have previously tweeted about having future play dates together. It would be great to hear from Carrie about it.

Audra McDonald ‏@AudraEqualityMc 5h5 hours ago
.@thewillswenson and I are overjoyed to welcome Sally James McDonald-Swenson, born last night at 11:16pm. Our hearts are bursting.

Craig Zadan ‏@craigzadan 4h4 hours ago Los Angeles, CA
Craig Zadan Retweeted Audra McDonald
Congratulations Audra & Will. So happy to hear the great news. Sending much love. Welcome Sally James!Craig Zadan added,

Neil Meron ‏@neilmeron 4h4 hours ago
#Congratulations to @AudraEqualityMc and @thewillswenson on the birth of their daughter, Sally James McDonald-Swenson. That's a #Lucky girl.

stuffy

I'm so happy for Audra. I know the baby was a surprise, so it's great to hear it's healthy.

I'm also hoping for a safe delivery for Laura after having to endure a miscarriage last year.