Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

maddkat

Staff member
was recording as my Cards were playing.Turned it over at 9 watched 15 minutes and was disappointed again that it wasn't on a sound stage. Then that 'audience' on the bleachers started clapping and some little emcee guy was talking about I don't know what...turned it off & stopped the recording.

I really wish they'd just do it like SOM.I don't like all this outdoor stuff.Doesn't play well for me.
Hoping they go back to that.It was so much more interesting.I sound like some old codger, but I am so there you have it.

ethelu

was recording as my Cards were playing.Turned it over at 9 watched 15 minutes and was disappointed again that it wasn't on a sound stage. Then that 'audience' on the bleachers started clapping and some little emcee guy was talking about I don't know what...turned it off & stopped the recording.

I really wish they'd just do it like SOM.I don't like all this outdoor stuff.Doesn't play well for me.
Hoping they go back to that.It was so much more interesting.I sound like some old codger, but I am so there you have it.

To be fair, the audience was not clapping all through the show, and most of the show was not outdoors. I would prefer a feeling more like SOML, too, but the outdoor scenes didn't bother me that much, except the behind the scenes and watching the actors jumping on golf carts. It takes away from it being theater and interrupts the story. I don't want behind the scenes, or someone trying to hype things up, or an audience. I want to see the musical and nothing else. I DVR'd it, so I was able to skip most of the in-between stuff that I didn't want to see. I thought Hairspray was really good, but they needed to leave out the extra stuff.

SOML will always be my favorite. I love a production number, which is why I liked PP, The Wiz & Hairspray. The only problem with PP was that the lead actors had no energy. The closest thing SOML has to a production number is Do Re Mi, but it has real characters, realistic dialogue and I love the sincerity of it. It isn't perfect, but I love it more every time I watch it. SOML is totally different, really more like a drama with music in comparison to the other musicals. I wish SOML got credit for being more difficult to pull off just because it is more realistic. It's much easier to play a caricature of a person than a real life human being.

DaisyTweets

So SOML is still the ratings champ!!!

I watched about 15 mins and then I turned it off. I guess I turned it off because I hit just before they went to commercial and all the behind the scenes stuff. I agree with Donna, I didn't need or want to see that stuff. It just interrupted the flow of the show.

Still like SOML the best!

Kizmet311

I watched Grease Live on Fox and greatly enjoyed it, but forgot to tape Hairspray. I'm trying to remember the transitions with Grease and whether they showed the BTS stuff through or was it just at the end? I know they definitely had some of the behind the scenes stuff at the end. Of course, I have a lifetime love of the Grease music so I am sure I overlooked some of it's flaws for sheer love of the movie and music.

With the musicals with big production numbers like Grease (and it sounds like Hairspray), I don't mind the pre-recording of some of the vocals, because I'm sure they are hard to pull of in one take. I know that makes it a less like live theater, but I really liked the production value on Grease Live and I'm sure NBC was trying to capture some of that same magic with Hairspray. Yes, in some ways it is easier to pull off due to the pre-recorded vocals, but those production numbers are no easy feat, I'm sure. TSOML will always be special for being the first and being truly live (except the orchestra music, of course!). Who knows what they could have done with it if they had more time to prepare and with all the tricks they've learned now.

liz278

I watched about a half hour. I didn't enjoy the outdoor stuff either. For me it made it feel a little disjointed. Like they finished a scene and then they went outside and some guy was talking. Didn't make a lot of sense, maybe because I didn't watch from the beginning.

I think the thing about SOM is that the story is so well loved. Even tho' we had to deal with a lot of hate, we got lots of love too. And they allowed the story to flow without breaking for anything but commercials. And of course it had Carrie, which we all know is a ratings magnet.

rainbow1

I watched for a while until all the outdoor stuff and weird people talking, totally confused me! I love Kristan C, so I watched her part in the beginning. Put it on record, and went back this morn to listen to Jen Hudson. I saw on twitter how good she was, so wanted to see her....then deleted the recording.

txacar

I didn't watch at all because I've seen Hairspray and it's not one of my favorites. I do love K. Chenoweth, tho, and plan to see her live here in Sugar Land in January. Also, watched her show on PBS last week. She's wonderful.

Zman312

ratings down 25% from The Wiz, earning a 5.9 overnight same as PP

NBC's Live Musicals to date
The Wiz - 11.5 million viewers; 3.4 rating adults 18-49 (7.9 overnight)
Peter Pan - 9.2 million viewers; 2.3 rating adults 18-49 (5.9 overnight)
The Sound of Music - 18.3 million viewers; 4.6 rating adults 18-49 (10.6 overnight)

TV Ratings: 'Hairspray Live!' Matches 'Peter Pan' in Early Numbers | Hollywood Reporter

Wow, expected a bigger numbers since they had more "A" listers... I remember the chick from PP was blamed for low numbers, now who will they blame?

i think SOML will be the rating king or should I say Queen... haha

ethelu

So far, the reviews have been pretty great. One of the reviews that Craig posted liked the show except for all the stuff we've been saying we didn't like. Too bad many of you stopped watching after so short a time because there are some really great performances in it. If they run it again, you might record it and just skip all the excess stuff. If there's a song you don't care for, skip it as well. I watch all country award shows that way. I wasn't sure if I would like Hairspray because I hadn't seen it before and didn't know any of the songs, but I really enjoyed it.

I hope Neil & Craig skip all that excess stuff on Bye, Bye Birdie. I love that show.

I doubt anything will ever beat SOML's numbers.

teesharky

ratings down 25% from The Wiz, earning a 5.9 overnight same as PP

NBC's Live Musicals to date
The Wiz - 11.5 million viewers; 3.4 rating adults 18-49 (7.9 overnight)
Peter Pan - 9.2 million viewers; 2.3 rating adults 18-49 (5.9 overnight)
The Sound of Music - 18.3 million viewers; 4.6 rating adults 18-49 (10.6 overnight)

TV Ratings: 'Hairspray Live!' Matches 'Peter Pan' in Early Numbers | Hollywood Reporter

haha ! YES! Take that haters! Carrie still OWNS the ratings!

txacar

^Happy for Sophia. Would love to see this.

Totally agree with you on SOML. I plan to watch it tonight to get my new year off to a lovely start.

rainbow1

I watched it a couple of days ago. I love her performance so much!! What courage!! I always remember Laura B saying, "She never missed her mark"!!