Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

ethelu

Did anyone watch Dirty Dancing last night? I recorded it. I realize it's a tv movie remake and not the live musical version, but just wondered if it was worth watching. I'm guessing it might not be. I love Dirty Dancing, but I'd probably be better off watching the original, lol. I was too young to see DD when it was originally in theaters, but a bunch of my friends and I went to see it in theaters in January for the 30th anniversary. There's just something about watching a movie like that, which you have seen a hundred times, lol. It's one that never gets old for me, though.

I heard it was awful. I heard that the dancing, of all things, wasn't great. Also, they changed the story somewhat.

Kizmet311

I heard it was awful. I heard that the dancing, of all things, wasn't great. Also, they changed the story somewhat.

Maybe I should just delete it then. I have enough to catch up on without wasting my time watching a bad version of a classic!

lizcarlo

Posted by Craig, due to JLo's extremely busy schedule Bye Bye Birdie is pushed to 2018. Since there will be no NBC holiday live musical this year, maybe they could rerun SOML this December?

Craig Zadan‏Verified account @craigzadan 4m4 minutes ago
More
NBC Pushes ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ Live Musical to 2018 NBC Pushes ?Bye Bye Birdie? Live Musical to 2018 | Variety … via @variety

Surly she knew it would conflict with her schedule. She should not have taken it if her schedule was too busy or maybe something else is happening.

Smokyiiis

Surly she knew it would conflict with her schedule. She should not have taken it if her schedule was too busy or maybe something else is happening.
J Lopez turning something lucrative away? Not gonna happen. She must be center stage at all times...it's her nature

thaifood

Her show Shades Of Blue was re - upped for a 3rd season, that wasn't assured at all when Bye Bye Birdie was planned.

ethelu

Her show Shades Of Blue was re - upped for a 3rd season, that wasn't assured at all when Bye Bye Birdie was planned.

Perhaps all those projects are taking more of her time than she anticipated. JLo is the one who suggested BBB to Neil & Craig, and she sings one of the songs from BBB in her act, so I think she is committed to it. It may be exactly what the article says, that they want to make sure they have enough rehearsal time. Neil and Craig learned that lesson from SOML.

ethelu

Last night I watched SOML again. I swear it gets better every time I see it. Anyway, this morning I "Liked" a tweet that Michael Nigro, who played Friedrich, had posted. A little while later he gave me a Follow. I thanked him and told him it was kind of freaky because I had just watched SOML the night before, and that it was still in my DVR. He replied that his parents refuse to delete it from their DVR. I said that was not surprising and that I wish the show had gotten more credit, because I knew a lot of people who really liked it. He "Liked" my response. That was all, but I thought it was kind of cool.

CrazyAboutCarrie

Last night I watched SOML again. I swear it gets better every time I see it. Anyway, this morning I "Liked" a tweet that Michael Nigro, who played Friedrich, had posted. A little while later he gave me a Follow. I thanked him and told him it was kind of freaky because I had just watched SOML the night before, and that it was still in my DVR. He replied that his parents refuse to delete it from their DVR. I said that was not surprising and that I wish the show had gotten more credit, because I knew a lot of people who really liked it. He "Liked" my response. That was all, but I thought it was kind of cool.

I loved it too, and watch the DVD from time to time. Carrie did a super job. The vocals and dancing and memorizing her lines, just totally impressed me. Then doing it LIVE!. Loved her interaction with the kids. I too wish the show would have got more credit than it did. I think every one had it failing before it even aired. And especially having Carrie failing. She has my utter respect!

DaisyTweets

Wow, I think it got a lot of credit. Look at all the 'live' shows that have followed it. Those wouldn't have happened IF there hadn't been a SOML and a BRAVE Carrie Underwood!!!! And its still the ratings winner.

ethelu

Wow, I think it got a lot of credit. Look at all the 'live' shows that have followed it. Those wouldn't have happened IF there hadn't been a SOML and a BRAVE Carrie Underwood!!!! And its still the ratings winner.

It did get incredible ratings, but what I meant is that you never hear or read that the show was very good, and I think it is. It deserves a lot more respect than it got, beyond talking about the ratings.

I see a lot of musicals by Broadway touring companies, and SOML is great in comparison. Sure, there were things they could improve on, but, if SOML had been a musical in a theater, I think it would have gotten great reviews. I saw the Broadway touring company version of TSOM this year and I enjoyed it, but it had aspects I didn't care for, and it was not nearly as good as SOML was.

I think it's significant that I really liked SOML when it aired the first time, because I wasn't a Carrie fan then, and Audra was the only other person in the cast I had even heard of. I'm always hoping that someday even one critic will watch it again and at least say it is better than they remembered. I know it won't happen, but SOML deserved better reviews.

lizcarlo

People who watched SOML loved it. They matter more to me. They are reason it did so well and aired more than once. That says much more than critics.

ethelu

Here is an excerpt from a podcast that Stephen Moyer did recently for Entertainment Weekly. I've posted the podcast below that, for those who want to listen to it. During part of the interview, they asked Stephen how scary it was to do SOML. This is his reply:

I don't know whether you guys knew this, but I hadn't been on stage for 18 years, and, that year, about 3 months before, I did Chicago at the Hollywood Bowl. And, I hadn't been on stage because of crippling stage freight...and wasn't living my life in the, kind of, purest of terms, back then. So, going back on stage was massive for me, and, whilst I was doing Chicago, the offer came in for The Sound of Music, and I was like "I'm doing it". I'm in the middle of doing this, I'm about to, you know, I hadn't gone on stage yet, in front of 18,000 people at the Hollywood Bowl, but, I was like, this is the year I'm knocking it back out there.

Absolutely terrifying. Beyond...beyond... "You're going live to the nation in 10 seconds", which is what they said. You know, it was extraordinary, but we had an amazing bunch.

I've said this before, but, our first preview, our first press night, and our last night, were all that performance. We'd only gone through it once. It was all up there, and...would I change anything? Of course, I would. I played Romeo for 150 performances. I never hit the performance, the way I wanted to, all the way through, ever. But, there was a brilliant bit on the third night, that I was really pleased with. There was a brilliant bit on the 7th night with that line, that was great.

The amazing thing about theater, is that you're always finding stuff. So, yes, would I have loved to have done it again? Of course. If that had been...the first performance, and then we'd been able to come out next week, and gone...they're doing it again this week, come and see it...it would have been completely different.

But, I think what we managed to do...the energy in that room, that day, was unlike...nearly anything I've ever been around. And you've got people like Christian Borle and Laura Benanti, and Audra. And, also, such a...such a big hat off to Carrie, because she'd never done anything like that. She was absolutely, like...she was so committed to it, and it was kind of a magical thing.

You know, one of the things about doing what we do, I'm very naive. I always forget that people are going to be horrible about it. I always go through this thing, and I think it's a safety precaution. I think one has to, because the energy that day, as that thing was coming together, we were all watching the little mistakes happening, that, hopefully other people weren't going to see. And that galvanizes you, and makes you more like, you know...we were holding hands and going "come on!". And then when we got to the end of the show, that day, there was this explosion in the aircraft hangar, you know, because we'd stumbled through it. We got through it. And, you know, we ended up with 23 million people watching that thing, with the plus 3's. That was unbelievable. Is there stuff I'd change? Of course, but it was incredible.

https://soundcloud.com/user-423737333/stephen-moyer-adrianne-palicki-eliminated-survivor The part about SOML starts at 19:54 with the question from the interviewer.

Kizmet311

Thank you so much! I love that this thread is still going. He is right - a big hats off to Carrie for having the guts to do what she did in TSOML.