Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Dirty Laundry" on the Billboard and Mediabase Country Charts

adam1995

I agree Sony doesn't work hard enough for Carrie on radio, but I won't accept that they don't work hard enough in other arenas. Carrie should never have to settle for the men to succeed. It looks awful, just wrong. She is Sony's biggest artist, and should be shown the respect she deserves from the radio promo team. I don't see how Sony could get her almost 2,000,000 in sales, when the industry for CD sales is drying up rapidly, but they should have had no trouble getting her four Billboard #1s.

I wish Carrie spoke out a little more about it. Not complain, but just mention that she always seems to lose the battles even though the numbers are in her favor. She's to sweet and Kind though, which is admirable, but we need her to feisty, haha.

Maybe Scotty B would treat her right. ; )

HuiZ

^ Carrie has mentioned before that she doesn't follow the charts or know how it works. She just lets her team do their thing.

If she speaks up, she can do that with her team, conversations like that don't need to be publicized imo.

And hell no re: Scott B. I hope that is 100% joke!

CU4ever

Sadly think since Blake STOLE the number one and couldn't wait his TURN, this will be the end of the CU5 era. Will there be a new thread soon to discuss CU6, our hopes for it, etc.?

RyanVaCarrieFan

Not that this really matters, but I am a firm believer that if Church Bells was the lead single, this era would've been different. Smoke Break worked great for the country community, but was too polarizing for her other fans.

adam1995

^ Carrie has mentioned before that she doesn't follow the charts or know how it works. She just lets her team do their thing.

If she speaks up, she can do that with her team, conversations like that don't need to be publicized imo.

She should speak up to her team. Get to the bottom of why she gets the short end of the stick. Maybe she does, I don't know, but I just hope she doesn't settle for it.

And the winking thing I put next to the comment, was intended as a joke, but seriously if Carrie shopped around at other labels after her contract is up (won't it be after the next studio album?), I bet Sony treats her really well after that.

CU4ever

She should speak up to her team. Get to the bottom of why she gets the short end of the stick. Maybe she does, I don't know, but I just hope she doesn't settle for it.

And the winking thing I put next to the comment, was intended as a joke, but seriously if Carrie shopped around at other labels after her contract is up (won't it be after the next studio album?), I bet Sony treats her really well after that.

So true. Sony would not want to lose her. She is easily their number one artist, and very valuable to the label. Now, if only they treated her like that.

CarrieAddicted

I agree Sony doesn't work hard enough for Carrie on radio, but I won't accept that they don't work hard enough in other arenas. Carrie should never have to settle for the men to succeed. It looks awful, just wrong. She is Sony's biggest artist, and should be shown the respect she deserves from the radio promo team. I don't see how Sony could get her almost 2,000,000 in sales, when the industry for CD sales is drying up rapidly, but they should have had no trouble getting her four Billboard #1s.

I wish Carrie spoke out a little more about it. Not complain, but just mention that she always seems to lose the battles even though the numbers are in her favor. She's to sweet and Kind though, which is admirable, but we need her to feisty, haha.

Maybe Scotty B would treat her right. ; )

I don't think Carrie knows the difference between the charts anymore.

As HuiZ said, she doesn't follow the charts or know how it works ANYMORE. She, however, did follow them back in the beginning of her career. She would literally access Billboard to see how her songs were doing. I precisely remember her saying that.

And, with she constantly hitting #1 on Mediabase (she only missed #1 there twice), Sony obviously tells her "hey, you're #1 on the radio!" (which she in fact is). So, she believes she's doing amazinly well.
Same goes to actual sales. They presented her with Storyteller's platinum plaque, but it didn't actually sell a million copies. I doubt she knows how RIAA works nowadays.
Poor girl is being cruelly deceived.

But if anyone presented her with her Billboard chart history and sales................ tables would turn. Or not, don't know if she cares that much anymore....

CarrieAddicted

Scott's career dream is to sign Carrie. He's said that.

LMAO, it's actually true.

It would only be great if he treated her like he treats Taylor. But, seeing how poorly he treats ALL his other artists (they all flop)..... No, thanks. I prefer Carrie with Sony.

Zman312

As HuiZ said, she doesn't follow the charts or know how it works ANYMORE. She, however, did follow them back in the beginning of her career. She would literally access Billboard to see how her songs were doing. I precisely remember her saying that.

And, with she constantly hitting #1 on Mediabase (she only missed #1 there twice), Sony obviously tells her "hey, you're #1 on the radio!" (which she in fact is). So, she believes she's doing amazinly well.
Same goes to actual sales. They presented her with Storyteller's platinum plaque, but it didn't actually sell a million copies. I doubt she knows how RIAA works nowadays.

But if anyone presented her with her Billboard chart history and sales................ tables would turn. Or not, don't know if she cares that much anymore....

LMAO, I am sure you are making a joke.

Truth be told, Sony is very weak, they'be been since Joe left. But the problem is that radio treat female artists so poorly. maddat showed e the light and big stations are screwing her over. As much as we dislike the BS, Carrie has artistic freedom with Sony (and she is just to damn loyal).

I am upset as ----, but oh well! It's beyond our control.

CU4ever

It's amazing. DL had higher peak numbers than Brett and Keith - it was a bigger hit, but somehow, Sony still managed to screw this up. They waited way too late until DL was past its natural peak, and was ready to start falling. A week ago, it was already on the way down on the indicator chart after getting two weeks at number one.

maddkat

Staff member
even a pissant thank you ad

C2aoaveW8AAIMli.jpg:large

The Nanook

Awesome way to end the era.
NO Billboard 200 #1
NO Hot 100 Top 20 (not even a Top 40)
NO HCS #1
Only 2 Airplay #1s
I get that they were focusing on other areas of her career this era (the tour, EOTY, etc.), but this really shows that this was a rather weak singles era. Carrie's lead singles typically have the highest Hot 100 peak off any given album largely bolstered by first-week hype and promo alone, but Smoke Break is right there with HB and CB's peaks and couldn't even break the top 40. People like to defend SB, but it really did set a largely mellow tone for the singles this era. Thankfully there was Church Bells.

It's interesting that the songs Carrie presented to the label for Storyteller were "OK'd." Usually when I listen to an album the first time I like to play the game of guessing which songs will become singles. With Storyteller, knowing that the songs in the first half of the album usually get released, I thought the likely singles (along with SB: RR, DL, HB) were honestly kind of weak especially with RR and DL lacking traditional song structures (i.e. strong hooks in the chorus) that radio is used to. They're fine songs, but they don't pack the punch that Carnival Ride or Blown Away singles did, or even the second half of ST. So it's interesting when ST first came out that Goodman said he saw a lot of potential singles. Though at least I guess in a sense this is good because it means the label gives Carrie the freedom to record what she wants and that Carrie has enough support at radio to send whatever to the top 3.

I know that albums and touring drive sales, but I hope on the next album emphasizes the singles more. I think given her name pretty much any album Carrie puts out will sell a respectable amount given the falling music sales climate. And Carrie has built a strong enough catalog that, hopefully, every full-production tour she does grosses about as much as or more than the previous one, at least until her popularity wanes. It's the single success that is much more variable per era.

Kizmet311

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I would certainly think that Carrie knows what is going on with her career. I'm sure she knows how certifications work now and which chart her songs are hitting #1 on. She is too savvy a business woman to not be aware of those things. Now, whether or not she cares as much about that stuff as she did earlier in her career, that is another story and she may subscribe to the same thought as Sony thinking a #1 is a #1 is a #1 no matter which chart it's on.

carriethequeen

Surely Carrie knows how the charts work. Maybe she genuinely doesn't care which chart a song hits #1 on, but I wish she would get on SN about missing the BB #1 so often...I thought after letting the LEAD SINGLE peak at #2 on BB they would make sure DL got to #1 but guess not! Crazy...

adam1995

Maybe she doesn't know every in and out of how radio works, or RIAA, but she isn't some "Aw shucks, farm girl" anymore. She's been in the business 12 years. After twelve years I think you'd have a pretty decent idea of how the business you're in works. Maybe not every little aspect like I said, but she I'm sure knows that streaming now counts towards certifications and all that kind of stuff. Hell, if we know that, I'm sure she knows.