Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert "Four the Record" Era

Farawayhills

The single was dead on arrival but I assume it is going to be forced at least to top10 maybe top5 with no public interest what so ever.

Unfortunately, I don't see this song getting near the top 5 - but I am grateful to the radio stations who've given it enough play to get it into the 20, and ensure that it wasn't "dead on arrival". It gives me encouragement that there is still space in the Mainstream for unusual songs, with an unconventional message - at least, if an artist with a strong enough image and reputation is prepared to take a risk with them.

For anyone interested, this is the original version, with Don Henry singing lead, in 2011

I don't expect the song to be wildly popular, either here, or among the general public - but I give Miranda great credit - firstly, for digging deeply enough to even find this song (for you can be sure Don Henry and Phillip Coleman never expected a major artist to record it, much less to hear it played on the radio), and secondly for being willing to put it out as a single (for she's been around long enough to know this would be a labour of love, rather than a commercial blockbuster).

It won't cause the likes of Jason Aldean or Florida Georgia Line to lose any sleep - but I for one am glad it's getting some exposure.

pklongbeach

Thanks for that. Music is interesting isn't it.

Context means so much.

As a smoky bar oompa type song, sure I get it and I am willing to raise my beer and sing along.

But in the context of radio today, it just doesn't work.

And I understand you appreciating Miranda for digging deep to find it. But it still points to the bigger issue for me.

The song is not resonating but it is still making a manufactured chart run.

Some songs are just cool and I get it. And they don't need to be turned into radio hits.

Context.

Interesting that Carrie does rather old style story telling gothic fables (BA & TBC) but seems to understand that they have to be able to live in modern radio.
She manages that quite well.

Farawayhills

With both those songs (and especially TBC, which was the more "deep genre", and which she co-wrote), I'm convinced that it was Carrie's charisma and reputation that made radio play them. They were vastly different from typical radio fodder. With a lesser artist behind them, BA might have been at best a minor hit, played a few times a day, mainly off-peak. TBC would probably not have got on radio at all. They would still have been great songs - but they needed a great artist behind them to get them past the predilection for unchallenging formulaic good time songs.

That's why I'm thankful for the present generation of younger female singers (and groups, for I include the Pistol Annies, the Band Perry, Little Big Town in that) for backing stronger and more varied songs. Without them, the Mainstream today would be a far poorer place.

clh_hilary

WOW, so Miranda has 2 singles in the top 20... lol, AKOK is not selling at all but she is getting airplay. This is why I don't care for the charts anymore...lol

You can argue that it's not selling because the audience had already bought her album.

CALEBJOE

Actually this song has had no manufactured push at least to which I can see as I've been following this on Mediabase.It's having a similar chart run as Only Prettier which did make the top 10 on Mediabase but that had more of a push.There is speculation that AKOK was released to radio because Hush Hush never got off to a start.The label meaning RCA not Sony was ready to move on from Four The Record and concentrate on the Annies but of course that didn't happen so most likely decided to release AKOK.I'm guessing this song will crack the top 15 but a lot of heavy hitters right now in the form of Jake Owen,Darius Rucker,The Band Perry,Zac Brown and Eli Young Band have or are catching up to it.Don't think RCA or Miranda was looking for or expecting this to be #1 but it's for sure nice to have these type of songs out to balance out what's on radio these days.

pklongbeach

Actually this song has had no manufactured push at least to which I can see as I've been following this on Mediabase.It's having a similar chart run as Only Prettier which did make the top 10 on Mediabase but that had more of a push.There is speculation that AKOK was released to radio because Hush Hush never got off to a start.The label meaning RCA not Sony was ready to move on from Four The Record and concentrate on the Annies but of course that didn't happen so most likely decided to release AKOK.I'm guessing this song will crack the top 15 but a lot of heavy hitters right now in the form of Jake Owen,Darius Rucker,The Band Perry,Zac Brown and Eli Young Band have or are catching up to it.Don't think RCA or Miranda was looking for or expecting this to be #1 but it's for sure nice to have these type of songs out to balance out what's on radio these days.

Hey there. I don't think I've seen you in a while. ITs great to see you again.
I have been asking about the Annies but no one seems to know what really happened. Any ideas?

Do you think the buzz just wasn't there?
It just seems odd cause I know they were going for a big launch and it seemed to stall right in the middle of it.

pklongbeach

With both those songs (and especially TBC, which was the more "deep genre", and which she co-wrote), I'm convinced that it was Carrie's charisma and reputation that made radio play them. They were vastly different from typical radio fodder. With a lesser artist behind them, BA might have been at best a minor hit, played a few times a day, mainly off-peak. TBC would probably not have got on radio at all. They would still have been great songs - but they needed a great artist behind them to get them past the predilection for unchallenging formulaic good time songs.

That's why I'm thankful for the present generation of younger female singers (and groups, for I include the Pistol Annies, the Band Perry, Little Big Town in that) for backing stronger and more varied songs. Without them, the Mainstream today would be a far poorer place.

This is true. Its so hard sometimes to determine what is more popular and what drives the thrust, Carrie? or the Music she produces. OR a combination of both.

I personally feel she alone drove TBC as I think she drove TH / jad / ss / ms ......

But of course then there were songs that i think took on a life of their own.. BHC / JTtW / AAG / ITYS / SyA / CC .....and I would add BA.

I think some of her songs really did resonate and get the feedback radio was hoping for.

I think BA did this mostly because I really felt from the people around me and the general reaction of the public that BA had the elements it takes to have a hit song.

It had a driving beat that was immediately infectious
It had a story that was both gritty and dark but strong and redemptive in charactor
It had a sonic tonality that was so unique to country radio at the time, it was impossible to ignore

And finally it had a hook (in the form of just two words) that was immediately identifiable and singable.

I remember specifically a little girl coming into my music shop looking for that song that goes, and she quoted "Blown Awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

Thats when you know you have Gold!

To be honest, if miranda had sung that song it not only would have smashed with multi-week #1 status, I think they would have turned it into a CMA Award Winning Song of the Year with her shooting for EOTY!!

I think it was Carrie that actually may have held it back. And thats sad.

(and don't get me wrong, Carrie is the only person who should have even touched that song, but ha Miranda released it, I think things for the song itself may have been much different within the industry)

pklongbeach

Actually, the manufactured run that I am speaking of is what is happening now.
Not that it was happening in the previous weeks.
What has happened up to now is what I might have expected for this song. And since it has been on the charts for as long as it has and gone no where in the public concience (which was why I refered to it as dead on arrival) any upward thrust at this point is going to manufactured. There is no other way to explain a song that is having no reaction from the pubic at all but suddenly climbs the charts up into the top 20?

Thats manufactured.

And just so we don't think I am being hard on Miranda solely, it happenes all the time. Carrie has had many what I would call "manufactured" chart runs.

I just don't particularly like them, cause it confuses the public, the charts, and what the artist strives to create when considering "what music to make".

In other words, if I thought everything I make is going to be forced to #1, I would have a very different attitude about my music than if I had to sit down and write knowing that I would have to work very hard to come up with something that was so unqiue and special that it "might have a chance at getting on the radio at all".

We sometimes forget how unique Carrie perspective really is when you think about it that way.
Miranda is now in that club also.

Carrieflattsfan

While I don't think AKOK was a smart single choice in terms of commercial appeal, I commend her label for taking the chance. Miranda is not in a 'superstar' position, but she's also not in a place where an underwhelming single will hurt her too much.

The singles from FTR have been safe and pretty bland (with the exception of MBH), so I'll at least give Ran's team credit for pushing something that is not an obvious smash waiting to happen. Too often, labels push songs because they know they'll do well; I respect any label/artist who wants to take a bit of a risk.

Considering it took six years for Miranda to score her first top ten, I don't think the chart run of AKOK is all that surprising; top 20 is certainly not bad for a song that could have done nothing. Miranda has also never been a huge commercial name (and yes, I know the industry disagrees), so this is acceptable for her. She's never really connected with a larger mainstream audience the way Carrie and other females have, so I would expect her to receive a response like this. Plus, with "We Were Us" on the radio as well, Miranda likely won't see any decrease in momentum. Smart move on her label's part.

CALEBJOE

Hey there. I don't think I've seen you in a while. ITs great to see you again.
I have been asking about the Annies but no one seems to know what really happened. Any ideas?

Do you think the buzz just wasn't there?
It just seems odd cause I know they were going for a big launch and it seemed to stall right in the middle of it.
I've been on here just haven't commented much more or less became a silent Carrie fan that come here and get my news on Carrie.As far as the Annies are concerned my theory is that something happened in Angelina Presley family that she wished to keep private.And awhile back on her FB page she made a reference that you find out what's really is important in life it was either an Aunt or Grandma that was in the hospital didn't go into detail exactly what she was battling but had to be severe enough for them to cancel the tour they had planned out.

CALEBJOE

Actually, the manufactured run that I am speaking of is what is happening now.
Not that it was happening in the previous weeks.
What has happened up to now is what I might have expected for this song. And since it has been on the charts for as long as it has and gone no where in the public concience (which was why I refered to it as dead on arrival) any upward thrust at this point is going to manufactured. There is no other way to explain a song that is having no reaction from the pubic at all but suddenly climbs the charts up into the top 20?

Thats manufactured.

And just so we don't think I am being hard on Miranda solely, it happenes all the time. Carrie has had many what I would call "manufactured" chart runs.

I just don't particularly like them, cause it confuses the public, the charts, and what the artist strives to create when considering "what music to make".

In other words, if I thought everything I make is going to be forced to #1, I would have a very different attitude about my music than if I had to sit down and write knowing that I would have to work very hard to come up with something that was so unqiue and special that it "might have a chance at getting on the radio at all".

We sometimes forget how unique Carrie perspective really is when you think about it that way.
Miranda is now in that club also.
I don't enjoy the charts as much as I once did because of the unpredictability I've watched songs jump 4 spots from one day to the next.I misunderstood what you meant by manufactured but it could be that the label is trying to push this song at least till November with country radio and then focus squarely on We Were Us that most likely be in the top 10 by then.Right now as it stands neither label really needs to push We Were us so they are still able to push AKOK.

carriecountrystar

^ I feel like I've heard a song like WWU somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on which song it was. Anyways, I like the song but the production is too noisy for me. Would be nicer with more even production to match vocals IMO- like Kenny's Somewhere with you. WWU chorus has a similar structure as SWY, but Kenny Chesney's version is much cleaner.

pklongbeach

I like her voice alot. I figured out what I have a problem with.

ITs that Chorus!!

The repetitious monotone melody is just grating to me.
The chords change in the music but the melody stays on one note over and over.
I just plain don't like it.

Now that said, I certainly can recognize it better now that I have heard another woman singing it. But with miranda and her twang, it just sounds like a noicey jumbled mess.

Sorry.

Carrieflattsfan

Have the Pistol Annies called it quits?

Back in June, the ladies abruptly cancelled all upcoming concerts due to "unforeseen circumstances." No further explanation was given at the time and off the top of my head I can't think of any concerts they've performed together since. According to their official website, they also have no future dates scheduled either.

So what's going on exactly with the bad-ass threesome?

Well, according to someone who knows someone, the Annies are done. Rumor has it, the breakup happened because Randa couldn't get along with Angaleena's hubby (who happened to be Miranda's tour manager at the time) Jordan Powell.

The Pistol Annies have officially unofficially broken up

Farawayhills

As it's CMA night, I thought it would be good to reprise Ran's striking 2005 breakthrough performance.

I remember the Dixie Chick fans being divided over this - with one group cheering her on, as one of their own, throwing "attitude" at the Nashville establishment, and the other group refusing to countenance anything to do with the CMA.
I also remember Ran saying she was apprehensive of the fire effects catching her hair, but Simon Renshaw blithely insisting there was no problem!