Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Era

Momin

"Wash" sold 4k in this first week and it's still free falling in itunes at #64 at the moment.

In case anyone is wondering, Cry Pretty sold 20k in the first two days and 51k in the first week.

There's a big difference though.

Carrie's music was coming after her much-talked about accident and absence from social media. It was also her first music on a new label that put a lot of promotion on her new music. So obviously, she would have sold way more than another country artist.

Miranda's music doesn't come after any such big absence or event. Secondly, I don't know the technicality of it, but her music is released on her own imprint which doesn't/can't put too much money into promotion. Even the previous album's promotion was done a lot through Miranda herself, her friends and what fans were saying over the internet. Sony didn't put too much into selling her.

In any case, a debate on who should win awards is something else. But at least in terms of numbers, who excels more and who has better quality music, I don't think women should be pitted against each other. It's done way too much by the media itself. Let's be more accepting and welcoming to all other kinds of artists rather than bringing them down.

simonplay

There's a big difference though.

Carrie's music was coming after her much-talked about accident and absence from social media. It was also her first music on a new label that put a lot of promotion on her new music. So obviously, she would have sold way more than another country artist.

Miranda's music doesn't come after any such big absence or event. Secondly, I don't know the technicality of it, but her music is released on her own imprint which doesn't/can't put too much money into promotion. Even the previous album's promotion was done a lot through Miranda herself, her friends and what fans were saying over the internet. Sony didn't put too much into selling her.

In any case, a debate on who should win awards is something else. But at least in terms of numbers, who excels more and who has better quality music, I don't think women should be pitted against each other. It's done way too much by the media itself. Let's be more accepting and welcoming to all other kinds of artists rather than bringing them down.

Miranda had as much promotion as Carrie, she had itunes promotion, radio deal, and she even had more promo in Spotify than Cry Pretty.
Also her last single was released more than a year ago, that is a big absence for her standard releases and she got married a few months ago, that was a big event for her.

Honestly the thing is that Miranda was never a big seller anyway, I just put that info in case anyone was wondering, if you want to see it in a bad way it's your choice.

lizcarlo

I just adored Miranda and Carrie music equally so much for so long because quality of their music is amazing even after so many years. They have always respected each other. They are both incredible artists. If everyone was the same artistically music would be boring. I like their differences. Its like Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn. Both are different but so incredible. I have always adored legends in country. Miranda and Carrie made me have an interest in newer country music (I was fan of Miranda since beginning and Carrie when I heard Just A Dream on radio) and take interest in other country artists. They both bring refreshing and interesting music into mainstream country genre in my opinion.

Last edited:

pklongbeach

So how is Wash doing at radio. I know it's at 29 so it is getting played. But I am curious about the reception of it and its movement since. I would have like to ask this question with relation to SB because that is where my interest lies. But I did not want to post the question where it might have been seen as "off-topic".

Farawayhills

So how is Wash doing at radio. I know it's at 29 so it is getting played. But I am curious about the reception of it and its movement since. I would have like to ask this question with relation to SB because that is where my interest lies. But I did not want to post the question where it might have been seen as "off-topic".

I'm afraid I can't help there, Patrick, as I don't follow Mainstream radio or the charts - Momin posts regularly a list of female artists' airplay chart placings, and so may know more about the general reception. (However, I would suggest that the SB chart thread might actually be a better place to ask for that sort of information - other songs' rises and falls are mentioned there quite often, and I don't think it would probably be seen as off-topic, as long as it was kept brief, and kept to chart detail, avoiding diverting into other confrontational side issues, which tend to lead to long arguments which are not relevant to the main purpose of the thread )

Momin

IACOITW has been doing quite well, both commercially and critically.

In its first week, it debuted at #19 on the airplay charts, which is already her highest charting single since Vice (which peaked at #11). Of course, that happened because of regular plays. Right now it's at #29, which is 10 spots above her position last week. So radio seems to really like it. She had 112 adds in the very first week, which is the most Miranda has had in her career. It does seem like she wants a foot on the commercial side this era, although she probably isn't betting on it. I'm guessing she wants to prove a point for women in country music anzd to radio as well. But again, I'm sure that is still a relatively secondary aim she might have. Her main focus is to make music that reflects her current life which she has said is always the main focus of her music. So let's see how far it goes (by its reception so far, I think it might reach the top 10).

Critically, it is well-received. Fans and critics alike have welcomed her tongue-in-cheek humour and sarcasm that was largely missing on her previous album (Pink Sunglasses is the only song that comes to mind that fits that category). It's a different approach from the very introspective, emotional and reflective lyrics from TWOTW. It's her more lighthearted side and I think everybody kind of wanted to hear her happier and funnier this time around (although if she had taken a similar approach like her previous album, nobody would have minded even then).

A review by Saving Country Music sums up the song's potential and overall standing quite well. It compares it to Locomotive, which was released along with IACOITW. You can read this for a more well-considered opinion, I think.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/song-review-miranda-lamberts-it-all-comes-out-in-the-wash/

lolita55

I actually am not a fan of the song. But over the years I have come to the conclusion that Miranda could put out a bad song, or an ok song and still could praised for it.

Farawayhills

Another song is expected tomorrow. She tweeted one word "Friday", accompanied by a 9 second clip of instrumental music, with the words "mess with my head" slowly unfolding across the screen.

FanSince04

Interesting! The “mess with my, mess with my, mess with my head” reminds me of another song, and with all these lawsuits... that’s something you have to think about.

jaymiee

Wow releasing another song already? Thats pretty fast considering Wash just came out?

Mess With My Head is good and catchy but I dont see it being a huge song for Miranda? Maybe its just like a promo single for the album?

Farawayhills

I would expect around four songs to come out before the whole album is released - that seems a pretty widespread tactic, especially in the age of digital streaming. Also, Miranda has not been a particularly singles-focused artist - her plan with TWOTW was to let as many songs as possible receive the public focus in turn, regardless of whether they were released as radio singles. It wouldn't surprise me if she followed a similar plan this time (note, for example, her decision to highlight a performance of "Locomotive" at the CMA Fest, even though it wasn't the song currently being promoted to radio)

This song was written by Miranda with Natalie Hemby (who has been her most frequent collaborator) and Luke Dick (a more recent collaborator, who was involved in some interesting tracks on her last album).

According to Miranda herself, this is expected to be seen as a big departure in her work:
"#MessWithMyHead is a departure from anything I’ve done. It has a real rock edge. Part of it comes from my cowriters,@LukeDick&@NatalieHemby, and part of it comes from spending time in NYC. Being there has put a new energy into my music/writing."

For me, the most interesting part of the new song is the musical line, which uses touches of steel guitar and banjo themes to complement Rock guitars, making for an interesting progression, which is both contemporary, with echoes of Roots homage. But when we come to the vocal, the track sounds more Pop than Rock to me (though I have to admit, that "Rock" - like "Country" itself - means different things to different people). I think it is the extensive repetition in the lyric, the half-spoken, mechanical build up to the rhymes in some of the lines, and the background chorus voices that make me think more of Pop styles.

Also, I have rather mixed feelings about the "big departure" aspect. Miranda has always been a musical "outlier", not a trend chaser, but an individualist, drawing sympathetically on a very broad musical palette. As I see it, there were certainly more experimental, and more boldly innovative album cuts in her earlier work (recently, for example, "Two Rings Shy" on "Platinum", and "Vice" on TWOTW. By contrast, parts of this new song come much closer to following the current trend for more Pop influence - different for Miranda, but not all that different for the genre. And, on first reaction I find that a little disappointing in an artist of her individuality.

From what I've seen, though, there has been a pretty positive reaction on Twitter, so this may serve her well in re-establishing a wider public approval.

Momin

This song gives me a clearer picture of where Miranda is going with this record. This definitely sounds like uncharted territory for her. It's very different sounding from things she has done in the past. And I agree with most of you, that it has a very pop feel to it, something that Miranda has not leaned into a lot in the past. I see it very prominently here, and something that I'm personally enjoying listening.

I did not expect to hear music of this sort from her. I thought she might go more towards her Americana and Alternative influences. This only goes to prove that she is a little unpredictable (in a good way), loves to experiment with different sounds and always does what she wants to do. And that is something I respect a lot. I embrace this side of Miranda and I'm very curious to see where she goes with this record. If this brings new people to her music, that's a win for me. She needs to be heard by a lot more people. She has a very diverse catalogue, something that many artists these days don't have (look at all the men in the genre!).

lizcarlo

Wash is growing on me. I like Mess With My Head. Its very pop leaning song which is new for Miranda. I think its catchy. I bet Miranda will have fun performing it.