Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Era

lizcarlo

Thanks for posting! .. I'm so glad to see her in very happy place now. It also sounds like WOTW was so heavy for her that she wants to have some fun now. I liked to hear this: "With this one I just wanted to cut loose a little bit and get back to the me that was willing to have fun with it and make fun of myself."

Farawayhills

One point that interested me in the Rolling Stone interview was Miranda's mention of Pink, as an influence in the sound she was aiming for. While I, personally, would not have described Pink's sound as Rock 'n' Roll, I can understand Miranda's interest in that sound as part of the direction she was experimenting in. (A recent possible link between them might be Linda Perry, who collaborated significantly with Pink in her early career, and has also worked with Miranda on the "Dumplin'" soundtrack, and appeared on stage with her a few weeks ago). I also see some similarities in general outlook between Pink and Miranda. For my part, I'd prefer experimentation in that direction, rather than any close identification with the Pop leanings of some of the contemporary Country artists.

I absolutely adored TWOTW (which was both complex and varied and, as I've said, could have been an album made for my tastes!). I fully accept that not every album has to be (or, indeed, should be) similar in style or character. But this style is more of an adjustment for me - and, in general, I do find songs that are lighter in mood, or more fun-based, less interesting than ones that explore deeper or darker emotions. All told, I would hope (and expect) the new album to continue to show variety, and not be dominated by a particular stylistic direction or "feel".

Momin

Pink's earlier songs had a very rock vibe to them. She became more pop in years to come. But overall, I think Miranda also meant that Pink's attitude and persona is something that inspired her on this track, not just the music. The difference, I would say, is that Pink's light-hearted tracks also have grit, emotion and themes. "Mess With My Head" lacks a little bit of that, which is fine. I still enjoy this new song. And I agree with Faraway: I think the new album will vary stylistically.

abbeyjones18

Man, I have so many mixed feelings over each of the 3 songs. I'm just not impressed by any of them. *disappointed face emoji*

jaymiee

If Miranda has a duet with Pink I will cry. Ive wanted Carrie and Pink to collab since forever! God could you imagine the notes Carrie and Pink could hit singing together?

Farawayhills

In one recent report (on MSN, I think) Miranda was asked if there were any other surprises on the album, and she seems to have said "A Duet, and some little hidden messages"

(However, I seem to remember a report from earlier in the preparations that implied that wouldn't be any duets - so we'll have to wait and see!)

Farawayhills

Man, I have so many mixed feelings over each of the 3 songs. I'm just not impressed by any of them. *disappointed face emoji*

I can understand that - I wouldn't rate them among Miranda's best work. But, as people have said, she clearly wanted to try a change of direction - and I do think these early songs reflect some of the clues she mentioned about the place she was now in emotionally, and the musical styles she wanted to emphasize in some of the tracksw.

"Locomotive" is still my favourite of the three - and more in tune with what I appreciate as one form of Country Rock. I had more difficulty at first with "Mess with My Head", but as I play it again, I've come to appreciate more the complexity of the song, an the experimentation in the music. "It All Comes Out In the Wash" is still rather too chirpy for my tastes - but if it re-establishes Miranda's reception on Mainstream radio, I think it could prove to be good, both for her career, and for the variety in the genre. (There will, by the way, be an official video for IACOITW - apparently, shooting has taken place, at least in part - and there are hints that some of it can be taken as come-backs to her media critics)

Meanwhile, this is a live concert performance of "Locomotive" (thanks to Aiyana Plantard de Saint-Clair for the video):

Momin

In one recent report (on MSN, I think) Miranda was asked if there were any other surprises on the album, and she seems to have said "A Duet, and some little hidden messages"

(However, I seem to remember a report from earlier in the preparations that implied that wouldn't be any duets - so we'll have to wait and see!)

She has a duet with Maren Morris on the record. It's called 'Too Pretty for Prison'. Here's what Miranda said about it:

"This new record has so many little details on it that become my favorites every time I listen, but one of those details is a fellow Texan and labelmate," Lambert revealed to iHeartRadio. "My friend Maren Morris sang on a song with me that I also wrote with The Love Junkies, and I knew from the second we were writing it that I would love to have Maren on it. It popped in my head right away before the song was even done.

"So, I asked her to come in and sing on it," she continued. "It's such a girl anthem. It's called 'Too Pretty For Prison,' and it was actually inspired by Karen Fairchild. We were having a wine night and I always tell all of my friends leaving, 'Don't leave if you've been drinking, because you're too pretty for prison.' So, thanks Karen, for sharing that wine bottle with me and for taking an Uber."

Last edited:

Momin

Wildcard_CoverArt.jpg

I have updated the first post of the thread with the album name, album art and confirmed tracks + comments Miranda has made about the album so far. I think the album art reflects the new sound Miranda is going for.

This is the official tracklist:

1. White Trash
2. Mess With My Head
3. It All Comes Out in the Wash
4. Settling Down
5. Holy Water
6. Way Too Pretty for Prison (duet with Maren Morris)
7. Locomotive
8. Bluebird
9. How Dare You Love
10. Fire Escape
11. Pretty *****in'
12. Tequila Does
13. Track Record
14. Dark Bars

Last edited:

Farawayhills

Thanks for that update, Momin

These are the registered songwriters for ther tracks that haven't yet been heard:

White Trash (Miranda Lambert, Natalie Hemby, Luke Dick, Laura Veltz)
Settling Down (Miranda Lambert, Natalie Hemby, Luke Dick)
Holy Water (Miranda Lambert, Brent Cobb, Mike Harris, Joshua Taylor)
How Dare You Love (Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Jamie Kinney)
Fire Escape (Miranda Lambert, Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna, Liz Rose)
Pretty *****in' (Miranda Lambert, Natalie Hemby, Luke Dick. Jon Randall)
Tequila Does (Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram, Jon Randall)
Track Record (Miranda Lambert, Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna, Liz Rose)
Dark Bars (Miranda Lambert, Liz Rose)

Momin

Thanks for the info on the co-writes, Faraway. I'll update the first post of the thread again.

Two things:
- I love the amount of co-writes she has with the Love Junkies! So looking forward to them. It makes me happy to see a trio of female songwriters to get so much recognition and momentum.
- There are some new names for me in this list. Jamie Kinney, Mike Harris and Joshua Taylor. Anybody know anything about them?

Momin

Dark Bars is also giving me Ugly Lights vibes, which makes sense because Liz Rose was a co-writer on that too.

Farawayhills

Thanks for the info on the co-writes, Faraway. I'll update the first post of the thread again.

Two things:
- I love the amount of co-writes she has with the Love Junkies! So looking forward to them. It makes me happy to see a trio of female songwriters to get so much recognition and momentum.
- There are some new names for me in this list. Jamie Kinney, Mike Harris and Joshua Taylor. Anybody know anything about them?

Those three are new names to me as well. I searched a bit, and may have found some possibilities (but it should be borne in mind that there may be other people with the same name)

The Mike Harris I found is a Texan, and describes his music as Americana, so he seems a fair bet. This is a link to his ReverbNation page:
https://www.reverbnation.com/tradesman

A Joshua Taylor, who is from California, also seems possible. He has a website here:
https://www.joshuataylormusic.com/

Jamie Kinney seems rather a mystery - he or she has no other songs registered at BMI, only this one. There is a Jamie Kinney mentioned on Discogs as a keyboard player, but I've no idea if that is the same person.
(on the subject of the song, "How Dare You Love", which was co-written with Miranda and Ashley, I did wonder if it might make a reference to diversity equality - but that is only a wild guess, based on the title)

Last edited:

Momin

Thanks for the info!

I actually found that to be an odd title because I couldn't make sense of it at first but you're right, it could be that. Miranda recently went on a pride parade (and posted a picture of herself with her brother and husband) so her show of support through her music at this point in her career makes sense.

I'm really enjoying Bluebird! I love the music, Miranda's laid back delivery and the overall chill vibe of the song.

Momin

In case anyone is curious, here is how Miranda's songs are performing right now:

It All Comes Out in the Wash
YouTube: 795,000
Spotify: 3,500,000

Locomotive
YouTube: 156,000
Spotify: 410,000

Mess With My Head
YouTube: 182,000
Spotify: 552,000

Bluebird
YouTube: 219,000
Spotify: 492,000

"Locomotive" lags behind a little, probably because it was released alongside the lead single which obviously got more attention + radio support. However, I'm surprised that "Bluebird" is doing better than "Mess With My Head". I was expecting the latter to outperform "Locomotive" and "Bluebird" because of its infectious music and structure + its pop appeal. But perhaps the more heartfelt nature of "Bluebird" (and also what I personally perceive as a bittersweet element to it - that is the emotion it evokes in me) is striking a chord with audiences more. It is also, in terms of mood, the most different from the rest of the songs which are upbeat, happy and fierce.

adam1995

^"Bluebird" is only outperforming on YouTube, when added up, "Mess With My Head" is outperforming "Bluebird".

Momin

Considering Bluebird was released a week after Mess With My Head, it's numbers are climbing fast.