Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Era

lizcarlo

It's All Comes Out In The Wash is okay. I don't like the woh, woah or whatever it is she says. I prefer Locomotive by far.

Farawayhills

I thought this clip (that Miranda retweeted) was fun. The little girl was still in the womb, when her parents first took her to a Miranda concert. Now four, she's grown into a regular little Miranda!
(The Little Ran Fans, in general, were the ones she was saluting in "Keeper of the Flame", and are said to be the reason she thinks the widely adopted VIP scheme would be unfair on the children who want to meet her)

https://twitter.com/RealTomSongs/status/1150040646113099776

lizcarlo

I thought this clip (that Miranda retweeted) was fun. The little girl was still in the womb, when her parents first took her to a Miranda concert. Now four, she's grown into a regular little Miranda!
(The Little Ran Fans, in general, were the ones she was saluting in "Keeper of the Flame", and are said to be the reason she thinks the widely adopted VIP scheme would be unfair on the children who want to meet her)

https://twitter.com/RealTomSongs/status/1150040646113099776

awe that's so cute

Momin

"Fire Escape" and "Too Pretty for Prison" are also recently registered co-writes with the Love Junkies (though not yet confirmed as being on the album), as is "Dark Bars", by Miranda with Liz Rose alone (Liz has been described affectionately as the "mother hen" of Country female song writers today - and she also contributed to TWOTW, notably with the moody and uncompromising "Ugly Lights"). Miranda's choice of the Love Junkies as co-writers was probably influenced by her liking for "Girl Crush", a song she's performed, both solo and as a collaboration with Little Big Town. The latter was a big radio hit - but I can't say that I find "It All Comes Out In the Wash" to be as good as that song was.

To begin with my thoughts on the two songs:

Locomotive: Definitely a great, great banger. Reminds me of her old work. I can hear Kerosene, Down, Getting Ready (which remains one of my favourite Miranda tracks) and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in this track. I like the nod given to the imagery in her previous album where she says, "He gives me wings". I can't see radio playing this but I have a feeling this will become a fan-favourite.

It All Comes Out in the Wash: Personally, I absolutely love songs like this. An infectious melody, a tongue-in-cheek lyric and having a groove that makes me want to move. What I find relevant to bring up here is something that Faraway has already touched upon: I think an artist should not constantly try to best themselves. It's impossible to replicate what one has made before. This was a conversation I had with my brother a couple of months ago when he thought Taylor Swift's "ME!" was not up to par with her previous work; and I said the same to him, that if she tries to up her game every time, she will start making music that is perhaps over-calculated, does not personally resonate with the artist too much or just start lacking heart. That is the same with Miranda too. TWOTW was an absolute body of genius and if she tries making music that is equally as good, she will lose personal connection with her songs. So if IACOITW is a song that Miranda really enjoys singing and listening to, and something she thinks represents her current mood the best, I support that decision. I think we sometimes tend to be a little too hard on artists for not producing what we think is "quality" work. But personally speaking, I like to support their decisions and trust the sound they want to go with (unless it's something completely off the mark, like The Band Perry trying to revamp themselves). So with that being said, I'm not going to compare this record with previous ones in terms of whether is matches the bar or sets it higher. I'll enjoy in its individual standing.

(I do want to clarify that this post is not meant to be defensive at all. It might sound like that but tone and intention are often lost in writing. So I don't mean to attack anyone's opinions. Just trying to give an objective perspective of what I think of the new music.)

As far as "Too Pretty for Prison" goes, it's a duet with Maren Morris. Maren posted an excerpt from an interview Miranda gave where she confirmed that the song is a duet (although I have been unable to locate which interview it's from). Maren and Miranda seem to have gotten a lot closer in recent times (the first time I saw them openly admire each other was at the CMT Artists of the Year showcase). They have performed together and are going to tour together too. So I'm really looking forward to this song.

DaisyTweets

If Carrie would've done a song like this, it would've been trashed and picked apart by everyone and their brother.

I found it difficult in places to understand what she's saying! Don't like songs like that. To me its important to understand the words of a song.

Farawayhills

To begin with my thoughts on the two songs:

Locomotive: Definitely a great, great banger. Reminds me of her old work. I can hear Kerosene, Down, Getting Ready (which remains one of my favourite Miranda tracks) and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in this track. I like the nod given to the imagery in her previous album where she says, "He gives me wings". I can't see radio playing this but I have a feeling this will become a fan-favourite.

It All Comes Out in the Wash: Personally, I absolutely love songs like this. An infectious melody, a tongue-in-cheek lyric and having a groove that makes me want to move. What I find relevant to bring up here is something that Faraway has already touched upon: I think an artist should not constantly try to best themselves. It's impossible to replicate what one has made before. This was a conversation I had with my brother a couple of months ago when he thought Taylor Swift's "ME!" was not up to par with her previous work; and I said the same to him, that if she tries to up her game every time, she will start making music that is perhaps over-calculated, does not personally resonate with the artist too much or just start lacking heart. That is the same with Miranda too. TWOTW was an absolute body of genius and if she tries making music that is equally as good, she will lose personal connection with her songs. So if IACOITW is a song that Miranda really enjoys singing and listening to, and something she thinks represents her current mood the best, I support that decision. I think we sometimes tend to be a little too hard on artists for not producing what we think is "quality" work. But personally speaking, I like to support their decisions and trust the sound they want to go with (unless it's something completely off the mark, like The Band Perry trying to revamp themselves). So with that being said, I'm not going to compare this record with previous ones in terms of whether is matches the bar or sets it higher. I'll enjoy in its individual standing.

(I do want to clarify that this post is not meant to be defensive at all. It might sound like that but tone and intention are often lost in writing. So I don't mean to attack anyone's opinions. Just trying to give an objective perspective of what I think of the new music.)

As far as "Too Pretty for Prison" goes, it's a duet with Maren Morris. Maren posted an excerpt from an interview Miranda gave where she confirmed that the song is a duet (although I have been unable to locate which interview it's from). Maren and Miranda seem to have gotten a lot closer in recent times (the first time I saw them openly admire each other was at the CMT Artists of the Year showcase). They have performed together and are going to tour together too. So I'm really looking forward to this song.

Good post, Momin!

Michelle made a similar point in her review:

"Vice had been such an incredible first song from the last album era, so it felt almost like anything was going to pale in comparison. The thing I kept reminding myself before I listened to these songs is to trust her. Even when there’s moments that go wrong, or the occasional song I’m not keen on, when you look at the wider picture of her career she always produces the goods.
So I listened. And felt instant relief. These are damn good songs. Maybe they don’t hit Vice level of songwriting but few songs ever do. Both ‘It All Comes Out in the Wash’ and ‘Locomotive’ are fun and funny and absolutely what I want to hear from Miranda right now."

Objectively, I agree with both of you - most of us probably can't like every song, or every stylistic choice equally. They affect us in different ways, influenced by our tastes, our experience and our expectations for the artist. But it's the artists' choice, and they deserve the right to go with the mood or style that they want to express. And in the end, it's the wider picture of their work as a whole and their contribution to the genre that counts for more than a particular song.
Subjectively, I am, at times, disappointed with a particular choice ( as for example I have been with Carrie's two most recent singles) - and I think we are all entitled to personal reactions like that. Comparisons within the spectrum of an artist's overall work are probably going to be inevitable for many of us - but it is indeed the overall spectrum that is the thing that most attracts us to the artist and deserves our support.

lolita55

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Miranda Lambert’s husband Brendan McLoughlin on leave of absence from NYPD[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...band-brendan-mcloughlin-leave-of-absence-nypd[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I honestly don’t think that their marriage will work out, and to be completely honest , after what she did to Staci Felker she doesn’t deserve to have a happy marriage.

Farawayhills

Miranda, it seems, is currently including a cover of "Boot Scootin' Boogie" in concert. This was originally a song by the Texas Swing revivalists, Asleep at the Wheel, and was also covered by Brooks and Dunn. The original included a prominent fiddle solo (but I don't know if this is being played in the concert version). It's popular with Line Dance enthusiasts, and Miranda and Gwen include dance steps in their version.

Momin

Miranda's choice of covers have introduced me to so many new artists and sounds. Always love her homages!

lolita55

simonplay

"Wash" sold 4k in this first week and it's still free falling in itunes at #64 at the moment.

In case anyone is wondering, Cry Pretty sold 20k in the first two days and 51k in the first week.