Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Savior (Christian album)

maddkat

Staff member
Really hoping we don't get vocal gymnastics just for the sake of it. I want beautiful interpretations like she did with JJWAT. ( that doesn't mean I jus want slow ballads)

CrazyAboutCarrie

I think it’s important that regardless, we support each other’s opinions. I’m not religious in the slightest, but I’m excited for new vocals from Carrie and that her Christian fans will get something they’ve wanted for years.

Still going to buy this obviously.

This. I would support Carrie and buy her album to support her if she sang baby shark or the ABC's. Just saying...

adam1995

I assumed you had employed the phrase "overproduced pop messes" as a disparaging reference to the kind of stylings that I mentioned in my initial post. That's why I brought up Yolanda Adams, since I specifically cited her as an example of the sound I was referring to, and because she is by no means a pop artist. I thought that's what you were trying to imply since you quoted me.

Not at all, honestly it was more directed towards the CCM discussion further up, lol.

pkslongbeach

I imagine the album is going to sound very similar to MG. As she stated, recording that music had her in a mood of enjoying the music itself and singing simply for the sake of it. So not going too far out of the way to create big arrangements of things.
I had some disappointment in MG for this very reason. I had waited for so long for a full fun bright and happy Holiday album that when MG came out I was confused and somewhat disappointed. But when I just accepted it for what it was I really enjoyed it. It was very sparse and without much "arrangement" to speak of. I was more about simply singing the melodies that she has always enjoyed.
This actually created such a relaxed nature to her voice, she has never sounded more pure and lyrical.
I think this is exactly what we are going to get with a "gospel album". I highly doubt it is going to be contemporary gospel with lots of big anthems and earworms.
I think, as she said, it will be a lot of the old traditional songs that she grew up with. I have a feeling I will know virtually all of it just by titles. I am sure there will be a couple of originals just like MG.
I am just happy for her that in this unique time she has been able to sit back and think about using her voice as a natural extension of her soul and spirit. I am going to enjoy it this way no matter what's on it.

monkeyboy16

If she’s referring to this album as a companion to My Gift, then I’m sure the album will be similar in style and sound. If she’s gonna do any vocal gymnastics, I’m sure it’ll be tastefully done and in par with the type of song. HGTA and S&T were so emotional and pretty with a hint of strong and power vocal notes

pkslongbeach

..And as I always say, remember that she has a big full throated voice. So sometimes, in order to sing the higher notes, she either has to open up and sing fully or sing falsetto. I think she has learned well when to do which for the best result.
But she will always have a strong voice. That is not always meant to "sound impressive", its just the way her voice works.

DaisyTweets

We need to remember that she created these albums during a pandemic. Maybe these albums aren't what she would've done had there not been so many restrictions. But IMO My Gift is just beautiful. I love My Gift because its Carrie sharing her gift with us and Him. I'm sure that I will love My Savior as well. And as PKS said, I'm sure that I'll know the words to all of the songs on My Savior. And one of the reasons I love My Gift so much is that I know that she believes her every word she's singing. I'm sure the same will be the same with My Savior.

FanSince04

I’ve been enjoying reading most of the comments regarding what style and direction people hope Carrie goes with, but let’s be real... the album is completed. Below are some songs I’d ideally like to see, but would be happy if even ONE of these songs makes it!

1. In Christ Alone
2. It Is Well With My Soul
3. Amazing Grace*
4. Mighty To Save
5. Be Thou My Vision
6. Jesus Paid It All
7. I Surrender All
8. Power In The Blood
9. Turn Your Eye Upon Jesus
10. Nothing But The Blood Of Jesus
11. Heart Of Worship
12. Blessed Be The Name*
13. How Great Thou Art*

* Songs she has sang before and would love to have them on this album

twaintrain

Definitely hoping we get a recorded version of "Softly and Tenderly".

Other personal favorites I would love her to cover:
"It Is Well With My Soul"
"I'd Rather Have Jesus"
"I Surrender All"
"Through It All"
"His Eye Is On The Sparrow"
"In The Sweet By And By"
"Precious Lord, Take My Hand"
"There Is Power In The Blood"
"My Jesus, I Love Thee"

pkslongbeach

I believe the songs listed above are exactly the type of songs we are going to get. "The Old Hymn Book". She said these would be songs she has been singing her whole life. Now granted, that was the 80's!! ha ha ha... but I imagine she was singing songs in old hymn books in church every sunday. The same hymns we all grew up with. I have a feeling this will be what she pulls from.
I would guess Amazing Grace will be a given!

abbeyjones18

What's wrong with singing old hymns?! Anyway, Carrie could always go with a modern production. Take the Gaither Vocal Band for example: they have a couple of old hymns on their current album. Listen to how modern (imo) it sounds: https://youtu.be/A467GerWjlQ. Carrie could easily do something like this, imo. 🙂

adam1995

Thinking about the Reba project, I'm wondering again if it isn't for this project? The picture was sent out by John Carter Cash, who I imagine was producing that project from his recording studio. Carrie mentioned "My Savior" was the companion to "My Gift", and basically inspired by it, so I imagine they were recorded pretty near each other and with the same producer (Greg Wells?), and the Reba/Carrie picture was shared in early November, presumably after the recording of MS. I of course could be wrong but just thinking about it on these final hours of this horrendous 2020.

abbeyjones18

Thinking about the Reba project, I'm wondering again if it isn't for this project? The picture was sent out by John Carter Cash, who I imagine was producing that project from his recording studio. Carrie mentioned "My Savior" was the companion to "My Gift", and basically inspired by it, so I imagine they were recorded pretty near each other and with the same producer (Greg Wells?), and the Reba/Carrie picture was shared in early November, presumably after the recording of MS. I of course could be wrong but just thinking about it on these final hours of this horrendous 2020.

While it would be cool to have another collaboration (and right on par with My Gift, imo, since MG had duets) , I selfishly just want it all to be Carrie, lol. I would be pretty shocked if he was involved...he always seemed pretty old school and not mainstream. Maybe she was just recording in his studio? I mean, if A listers were recording in my studio, I would be posting pics left and right, lol. 🙂🤣😂😅

adam1995

While it would be cool to have another collaboration (and right on par with My Gift, imo, since MG had duets) , I selfishly just want it all to be Carrie, lol. I would be pretty shocked if he was involved...he always seemed pretty old school and not mainstream. Maybe she was just recording in his studio? I mean, if A listers were recording in my studio, I would be posting pics left and right, lol. 藍

Kind of sounded like John Carter Cash may be involved, so that's why I'm leaning towards the Reba project, not being foR MS.

adam1995

Did Carrie not say the recording with Reba was for a legacy project?

Yes, but what does that actually mean?

Like MG and MS could be legacy projects for Carrie as they will be included in her legacy for years to come and will always be remembered differently than her studio albums. I just don't know what the definition of legacy is in this case, or who's legacy it is a part of.

She did say too something along the lines of the legacy project being something she never thought she’d get to be a part of, and it wouldn’t quite make sense for her to not get to be a part of her own album (taking her words at face value obviously).

clh_hilary

I wonder what the sales will be like

Even the almighty Whitney Houston moved only 5 million copies back in the 1990s (the record for Christian albums worldwide), in between 7-digit sellers.