Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NHL Thread (A Full Season!) 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

opry051008

The Sens essentially offered Alfie a blank cheque. They were willing to spend money on him, I don't think that was the problem. I think what it comes down to is they're not willing to spend that kind of money on other stronger players to support him.

This whole situation is so rough. I'm furious about how it happened, and how screwed over the Sens were. But I hope he gets a Ray Bourque kind of ending.
Or that the Sens win the cup.

Still tons of respect for Alfie, but lost a little bit of it on Friday

Agree. That comment about going to a team where he stands a better chance at the cup... for a Sens fan, that had to sting a little. : (

CrazyDreams1818

Agree. That comment about going to a team where he stands a better chance at the cup... for a Sens fan, that had to sting a little. : (

Absolutely. And I think it's a bit of a stretch... I mean the Sens were contenders last year too, and have a great chance next year (especially with Bobby Ryan). Not as many big names here as there are in Detroit... I don't know, rough way to end things.

It's like dealing with a breakup over here ;)

jeff

just another fan
The Sens essentially offered Alfie a blank cheque. They were willing to spend money on him, I don't think that was the problem. I think what it comes down to is they're not willing to spend that kind of money on other stronger players to support him.

This whole situation is so rough. I'm furious about how it happened, and how screwed over the Sens were. But I hope he gets a Ray Bourque kind of ending.
Or that the Sens win the cup.

Still tons of respect for Alfie, but lost a little bit of it on Friday.

i agree with your other point about spending money on other players. sounds like an internal cap has been talked about a lot. Mike Ilitch on the other hand isn't shy about spending money on the team. not sure if Detroit is a better team roster wise, but the owner is definitely more willing to spend on the team. not saying spending means you're guaranteed to be close to winning a cup, but i don't think any team that has a small budget has won the cup,

stuffy

Kovalchuk retiring from the NHL to play in the KHL. Also from what I understand New Jersey doesn't have a first round pick next year because of his signing.

JB172

Kovalchuk retiring from the NHL to play in the KHL. Also from what I understand New Jersey doesn't have a first round pick next year because of his signing.

There are a lot of people just killing him for making that decision but he will get paid a nice sum of cash to play in the KHL and he gets to do it at home so I can't fault the guy.

jeff

just another fan
NJ is not contesting the "retirement" because it helps their payroll / salary cap in the long run.

If they really want him they can insist he fulfill the contract. He can't bolt to the KHL if NJ wants him to honor the contract.

JB172

NJ is not contesting the "retirement" because it helps their payroll / salary cap in the long run.

If they really want him they can insist he fulfill the contract. He can't bolt to the KHL if NJ wants him to honor the contract.

Their management were probably popping champagne after they go the news.

jeff

just another fan
Melnyk sheds new light on Alfredsson departure, internal budget

Melnyk basically confirming what a few of us said on here re: Alfredsson leaving

Melnyk said the team wouldn’t have been able to afford a player the calibre of Bobby Ryan — the Anaheim Ducks’ star forward the team dealt for hours after learning Alfredsson would sign elsewhere — and met the numbers put forward by Alfredsson’s camp.“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’”
Melnyk says he eventually told general manager Bryan Murray: “We won’t be able to spend that kind of money, so don’t promise that we’re going to bring anybody else in other than filling a hole that was there.”

"And at the end, when I said blank cheque, that would have meant we would not have gotten the (Bobby Ryan-type player). Couldn’t afford it. Just couldn’t do it."

The Senators are operating under an internal player salary budget of just over $50 million (the NHL salary cap currently sits at just over $64 million). It has $50.8 million in salary committed already, according to CapGeek.com, with young restricted free agent defenceman Jared Cowen still to sign.
The Senators’ budget is a necessary move, Melnyk insisted, because of the razor-thin margins his team operates under.

and we had Bryan Murray claiming he told Alfie he was going to swing the deal for Bobby Ryan as well as give Alfie a blank check...

CrazyDreams1818

^^^read that as well, definitely something fishy going on. Rumour has it Alfie will be speaking this week (either a presser or an interview or something).

I just need some closure!!! lol

buckeyecarriefan

I've definitely been focusing too much on baseball and not enough on everything else. Alfredsson is a Wing now? I mean he's not the defensive help we REALLY need but we lacked secondary scoring last year too, and that will certainly help after losing Cleary, Brunner, AND Filppula.

And Bobby Ryan is in Ottawa? Dear Lord, it's gonna take me all season to figure out who's where now lol.

JB172

I've definitely been focusing too much on baseball and not enough on everything else. Alfredsson is a Wing now? I mean he's not the defensive help we REALLY need but we lacked secondary scoring last year too, and that will certainly help after losing Cleary, Brunner, AND Filppula.

And Bobby Ryan is in Ottawa? Dear Lord, it's gonna take me all season to figure out who's where now lol.

The Wings picked up Alfie the first part of July and Ottawa traded for Ryan either that day or the day after.

Status
Not open for further replies.