Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Performance in DC?

epicamends

Carrie, Garth & Reba Shine at Tribute to George H. W. Bush - The Boot

Kid Rock opened the show with 'Born Free.' Carrie performed jaw-dropping renditions of 'Reach Out and Touch' and 'Instant Karma,' while Brad sang 'Try a Little Kindness.' Cee-Lo Green teamed with Sam Moore (of Sam & Dave fame) to sing 'Soul Man.' And Garth closed the almost two hour show with a powerful rendition of 'Lean on Me,' after a heartfelt performance of 'America the Beautiful.'

So was Carrie the only one who did two songs? Interesting. It's doubtful they'll air both, but I hope both become available somehow.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
Nice. It's unlikely but I really hope they air both of Carrie's performances.

The airing on NBC is only scheduled for one hour. Adjusting for commercials, that leave only about 40 to 45 minute. So if the event lasted 2 hours, we will see less than half of it. So I am almost certain that only one of Carrie's songs will be shown, probably Reach Out And Touch.

Mirasa45A

Carrieflattsfan

Carrie performed twice? Awesome. Hopefully we'll get to hear both.;)
She's a great live artist & incredibly popular; I wouldn't be surprised if we got to see both performances just because of those factors.

DizzyDollyDee

I hope we get to see both performances also - just now learned about the second one - how exciting!!
Still didn't hear what Reba did. She is such a positive force - love her. Wonderful cast of performers!!
Would have been awesome to be there. Can you imagine what Carrie must think with having the opportunity to hang with the Presidents and many of the wives. What a fairyworld she has landed in. Mike and her family have got to be so proud of her!! I'm sure proud of her. She works so hard to be the best person she can - we are lucky to have her as such an awesome role model. She sure is being blessed for it also!

Gator

Well, there's some inconsistent reporting of who sang what, including "Reach Out and Touch". The following POLITICO article states that it was sung by Heather Headley. Also, this states that Reba sang "Everyday People", and that Darius sang "Together, Anything's Possible", yet we heard him sing "Stand By Me". We may have to wait until we watch the show to find out.

The night's entertainment included Kid Rock ("Born Free"), Brad Paisley, Mavis Staples and Jonny Lang ("Gotta Serve Somebody"), Darius Rucker ("Together, Anything's Possible") and Reba McEntire ("Everyday People.”)

When Cee Lo Green showed up on stage with an untucked tuxedo shirt and loose bow-tie, it seemed that the gaggle of presidents wasn't quite sure what to make of the singer who's more popular with twenty-somethings than octogenarians. But when Sam Moore joined him for "Soul Man," George H.W. Bush appeared to get into the groove.

Other hits? Some awkward head bouncing indicated that George W. Bush got into Carrie Underwood's performance of "Instant Karma." And Barbara Bush definitely enjoyed Garth Brooks's "Lean on Me," as she single-handedly sparked a standing ovation for the country singer. The night's surprise performance came from Heather Headley, whose singing quickly silenced those in the audience asking, "Heather who?!?" Her rendition of "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" was easily Bill Clinton's favorite performance, and Jeb Bush started a standing ovation when she was finished.

While on stage, Carrie Underwood recounted a favorite story about starfish she once heard the late Ted Kennedy tell in a speech about volunteerism. Miranda Cosgrove ("iCarly" to the younger set) had to admit that she felt a little bit out of place. "When President Bush first spoke of 1,000 points of light, I was minus four years old," said Cosgrove. "But I heard all about it."

Entire article: Presidents, stars celebrate Bush 41 - POLITICO.com Print View

fearless_dancerrr

tumblr_lii3qimp8s1qafh86o1_500.jpg

^love her dress in this picture!
tumblr_liipskO22l1qg68xfo1_500.jpg

DizzyDollyDee

That was awesome - thanks so much for the video - had to listen to it twice - I'm such a diverse music lover but finding I'm very picky when it comes to Country - Carrie fits the slot beautifully in every way. I guess I like the contemporary / modern country that there is so much controversy about. She brought me here in a stronger way and have learned to like others but not so much the twang of ML (but that doesn't mean she isn' good!). I'm a big RF, Reba and Trisha lover - who I also wish would come out with a new album - another happy newlywed. Anyway, thanks - look forward to Monday's performance even more.

Gator

^^ You're welcome. Thanks for your post - I agree with everything you said. I am not a fan of the "twang" either. Never listened to country before Carrie, although I have heard plenty through others playing it. I always had associated country with twang. It wasn't until Carrie brought me into the country genre that I realized that RF, KU, Faith Hill and Shania were country! I must say, that Reba can get a little too twangy for me, but like most of her songs. Anxiously (and patiently) awaiting Carrie's Album #4!! :)

It seems like Monday can't come soon enough! It will be interesting to see what they decide to broadcast, since the event was longer than the one hour show. I hope they do show entire performances, but seems timing might be tight. Fingers crossed!