Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Southbound' chart updates

mgbjr

At the start of this era, I was all for Southbound being the summer single. However, after the first two singles didn’t make it to the top 5, I now would prefer she release singles of higher quality instead, and say to hell with country radio. Low, DA, Ghosts, and Backsliding all truly deserve to be singles and knowing only 1 or 2 of these will be released is a real let down, assuming they’re only releasing 4 or 5. It really makes no sense that they would release the lowest streamed song on the entire album as a single even if it’s fun and summery. This album really is her best overall effort, and it’s a shame it’s being mishandled so terribly.

But, whatcha gonna do? We don’t make the decisions around here, so I’ll suck it up, and hope for the best for Southbound and the future of this era. I’ll be taking advantage of those 2 for 1 redneck margaritas though, until single #4 is released :)

jimshoe

Not gonna lie, this is my least favorite song on the album but maybe that's because it is so different than the other songs on the album.
I so hope this works out for her but would have definately preferred Drinking Alone or my personal favorite Kingdom....

CU4ever

I'm very excited for Southbound to go to radio. It's Carrie's first really fun and easygoing song in a while. It's catchy, perfect for summer, and I cannot wait to see it light up the charts this summer!

simonplay

I can't imagine her team reunited choosing the single, I mean they were like..

Least streamed song, checked
Least selling song, checked
One of the weakest songs, checked

And they were like "this looks like an amazing third single"?? And after two underperformances??
Sorry if I'm complaning but I don't understand their reasoning.

And what happened with Love Wins? They didn't do a final push and let the song struggle all this time just to peak at #9 again?

This feel like a non event! And we needed a banger to revive the era.

I really like the song and I hope it does well but Carrie never released a song like this before so will see.

I wish the best for Southbound and hope it smash!!

Hil

Country should play Southbound though, if they don't, it's not the song as this is generally the type of song they love to play. I maintain LW was the wrong single, but I'm pretty sure even I had this (Southbound) as a probable release for a single choice when the album came out. I still think they should release That song to AC.

Last edited:

mbh

I think it’s a perfect song for summer! I think another heavy or emotional song wouldn’t do well on radio right now

I agree. This is not one of my favorite songs in Cry Pretty album, but, I fell in love with it after Carrie's performance at the ACM Awards. This is the most diverse fan base I have ever seen. Carrie wants to satisfy everyone. Let us enjoy the PARTY and the Cry Pretty 360 Tours. Drinking Alone - single number four!

Farawayhills

I'm just so...disappointed. I just feel as though she is selling herself short. I just wish that she forget about country radio and release quality music.

I certainly agree - but it is what it is. I've tried to show that this sort of theme has much deeper roots than Bro Country, and I would say that she has taken some care with the music, and to give this song some connection with the path she was taking in the early part of the album. That may not be the most evident with this song - but Carrie has been considerably more radio-focused than any other artist I support. That may change as her career evolves, but it doesn't need to change in a rush. If she (and or her label team) want to go with this, I'll support it and wish it a strong contribution to the success this album deserves.

Audra

I’m super excited for Southbound to be the next single! I just don’t understand why so many people don’t like it or are acting like this is gonna ruin her career when it won’t. For Carrie I’m sure she wanted this to be the next single cause it’s so much fun and upbeat and she can have fun with the song and performing it.

bigd79

the night of the ACM awards a friend text me who isn't really a big fan of Carrie(i won't get into that part as it just makes me mad for her reason why lol) but anyways she text me knowing the big Carrie fan that i am and said that southbound is her favorite song she has ever released. I feel like there is going to be alot of that going on for this song. The ones who maybe get turned off by the other kinds of songs she does will hear this and love it because its so different. Forget "that song" or "backsliding" as crossovers, i actually think this has a shot to get some HAC play at least. I don't really care if it does, but considering all the other songs we have seen recently get play over there, and considering how much this bops, it would not surprise me. And if does...I will drink another redneck margarita to that!

CU4ever

Like the song or hate it, it'll more than likely be a smash. I recall not everyone was too keen on Smoke Break being a lead single (single at all?), but that was still a smash.

CU4ever

Love already seeing stuff like this...

from Taste of Country..

"Carrie Underwood’s “Soundbound” is her first made-for-summer hit."

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/TasteOfCountry/status/1120425826539966470[/FONT]

angeliccarrie

While Southbound is not my favorite on the album, I actually think this is the most radio friendly song on Cry Pretty. I like Southbound and I think this could be a big summer hit. After the ACM performance, I couldn't get the song out of my head for days and isn't that the point?

As a fan, of course the best to her career. But also as a music lover, this is another frustrating decision, especially after the already frustrating Love Wins.

CP is advertised as the most personal record. They should have lived up to that with a more consistent representation from released singles, especially when there are truly boundary pushing songs with relatable lyrical moments and progressive production throughout the album.

thaifood

It took just 4 posts for the negativity to ramp up. This used to be a pretty supportive place now it is a place for people to ***** about every thing that comes down the pipe.

maddkat

Staff member
this thread is for Southbound chart updates ,enough talk about each others opinions, you want to continue that take to PMs.

if people just want to come here to diss on pretty much everything Carrie does that's their right. support would be nice , but if you can't scroll past put them on ignore.

DizzyDollyDee

Like the song or hate it, it'll more than likely be a smash. I recall not everyone was too keen on Smoke Break being a lead single (single at all?), but that was still a smash.

I'll take Southbound over Smoke Brake anytime so guess I like it better than I thought. I was comparing it to some of her older singles that they've been playing and loved them at first listening so I'm going to say this will grow on me. Will always love her regardless!!