Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Southbound' chart updates

Joey Orfino

What the freak? So much good news today. I really feel like "Southbound" is gonna revive this whole era. I used to not like the song but of course Carrie did one performance and now i love it. Her power is real.

teesharky

I am happy that we have an upbeat happy catchy summer single st last. Sure there are better songs on the album
but this one is ear candy for summer radio.

i agree that we need and deserve a real video though.

CU4ever

I am happy that we have an upbeat happy catchy summer single st last. Sure there are better songs on the album
but this one is ear candy for summer radio.

i agree that we need and deserve a real video though.

So agree on both accounts, especially you saying it is ear candy! All the reception so far from the country outlets, stations, and community has been awesome! The summer smash is here.

mbh

I don't listen to country radio so I won't worry about it. I skip that track on the album as others obviously do since it appears to be the most unpopular track on the album on youtube. I'll vote and support the song just as I always do for Carrie, but I can't say I'm not disappointed (even though I felt the VEVO stamp on the ACM video was a sure sign, since she won't have much time to do a real one given the tour, CMT Fest, Sunday Night Football taping, etc. etc.).

Hoping it climbs the charts for her. She needs a boost this era. Go Southbound, even tho I don't like you very much, lol!!!

At the end of the day, Southbound will be accepted by the Fan Base as a whole. Since when Carrie's singles have no detractors (starting from Jesus Take The Wheel and Some Hearts' singles)? Carrie's Fan Base was built on American Idol audience (it is so diverse). When I went to Carrie's Live Concert Tours, still many women were wearing cowboy hats and boots and a lot of people were cheering and screaming on rocking songs like Paradise City, Before He Cheats, etc.

DaisyTweets

I believe that the money was spent on the ACM performance because the intention all along was to use that as the video. Maybe with rehearsals and stuff they didn't feel there was time to produce a video. I personally loved the performance and am very much ok with it being used as the video.

NC State Carrie Fan

I hope Carrie doesn’t see this thread because it is a mess.

This is probably one of my favorite single choices since the BA era. I’m excited for people to hear something different from Carrie and to have a summer song released. One of my fav songs from CP!!

stan

Sometimes you just gotta have fun as in Southbound, and not having to rationalize it as in Smoke Break.

clh_hilary

I can't imagine her team reunited choosing the single, I mean they were like..

Least streamed song, checked
Least selling song, checked
One of the weakest songs, checked

And they were like "this looks like an amazing third single"?? And after two underperformances??
Sorry if I'm complaning but I don't understand their reasoning.

And what happened with Love Wins? They didn't do a final push and let the song struggle all this time just to peak at #9 again?

This feel like a non event! And we needed a banger to revive the era.

I really like the song and I hope it does well but Carrie never released a song like this before so will see.

I wish the best for Southbound and hope it smash!!

It's important to recognize the fact that what radio plays and what people buy and/or stream do not necessarily align.

You have songs like "According To You" and "Daylight" that did very well on radio without the sales or streams to justify that.

You have songs like "Gangnam Style" and "Skyscraper" and "We Can't Stop" that did very well otherwise but stalled on radio.

There are many examples of songs not performing as well as could be expected from their pre-single performance as well.

Ke$ha's "Blah Blah Blah" featuring 3OH!3 was No 1 on iTunes upon album release, and 3OH!3 was popular at the time. But despite the fact that it followed the monster hit "TiK ToK" it still stalled on the radio.

Rihanna's "California King Bed" was the fan favourite, so was Britney Spears's "Criminal", yet both flopped as singles.

Taylor Swift's "Sparks Fly" did go No 1 on the radio in the end, but with poor overall sales and little impact, despite it being a massive fan favourite, from a huge era, and it hitting No 1 on iTunes upon release.

---

On country radio, there are numerous more examples.

"Red Solo Cup" and "Girl Crush" and "Not Ready To Make Nice" all sold very well, but didn't do nearly as well on country radio.

On the other hand, there are loads of songs that went No 1 on country radio with dismal sales and streams.

Carrie's own "Wasted" and "So Small" spent 3 weeks at No 1, and they did not sell as well as 1-week No 1s "Last Name", "Cowboy Casanova", or "Undo It". "I Told You So" sold so much it went Top 10 on the Hot 100, and it couldn't even go No 1 on Hot Country Songs. "Something In The Water" performed very well too, as shown by its dominance on Hot Country Songs and the gospel chart, but it didn't even go Top 2 on the radio.

Of course the fact that it didn't shoot up to Top 20 on iTunes after the ACM performance means it probably isn't going to be a mega sales and streaming hit without a viral video, but it really doesn't say anything about its radio potential.

For all we know, "Southbound" could've tested very well with radio, or at least the best among all the remaining tracks. It doesn't need to lift her career to a different level, it only really needs to continue her status as a hit-maker. She has already achieved so much, with moderate hits here and there she will certainly be considered a legend in another 10 years (but would be more difficult if she just flops from this point on).

simonplay

^ of course country radio will play what they want but I wasn't talking about radio but more about success in general.

Kizmet311

I'll just say that I've decided to be on board with Southbound for a single (not that it made a difference either way, lol). I think most of us will agree that DA and Low are better songs, but after CP and LW, I think we really needed something fun. And for me, there are only two "fun" songs on the album that are fun to blast driving on a sunny day - Southbound and That Song. Now, I personally would have picked That Song, but I have to agree with those that think Southbound is right in the wheelhouse of what the younger country audience wants and I think it will do well on radio this time of year. Heck, even my 6 year jams out to Kane Brown's "Short Skirt Weather", so yeah, fun is popular! The first two singles were heavy so it was time to lighten it up. Hopefully this album era will have legs and there will still be plenty of time for DA, Backsliding, and maybe Low and That Song too.

clh_hilary

^ of course country radio will play what they want but I wasn't talking about radio but more about success in general.

Isn't radio success good enough?

It's not like "Spinning Bottles" shot up to No 1 after a performance like what happened to "The Champion". None of the songs debuted on the Hot 100 during album release week.

I don't think there is an obvious million-selling hit in the waiting.

Now if you're talking about critical success, then there's probably a better single. But I think they'll want the third single to be Top 20 before they could send a fourth single out. A critical favourite that flops most likely wouldn't lead to a fourth single.

bigd79

Heard southbound twice on my radio at work today! One of the spins was during the morning show...which is usually reserved for songs in the current top 20 and/or popular recurrents. The only time i usually hear a new song during the morning show is when they do one of their special debuts(kinda like iheart does) ...but this was not that. I know its early and a small sample size but i already feel so much better about this for radio than LW was after the first few days of release

teesharky

That's great! I wasn't able to listen to country radio much today so I have no idea if it was played yet on Sirius etc. What is the official adds date again? Thanks,

jaymiee

I think southbound will do great on radio. It's fun, catchy, upbeat and perfect for summer.

I just think we are spoiled because southbound was in the middle of 4 amazing songs on the album. Low, backsliding then That Song and DA. When compared to those 4 it's hard to say southbound is the standout

maddkat

Staff member
shows up on the taking off chart today

CARRIE UNDERWOOD Southbound 2 ( new stations) 17( new spins)

starters:
KSOP-FM Salt Lake City
KPLM-FM Palm Springs, CA
WKHX-FM Atlanta
KSON-FM San Diego
KUBL-FM Salt Lake City
WUBL-FM Atlanta
WYCD-FM Detroit
WHKO-FM Dayton
WUSJ-FM Jackson, MS
WQMX-FM Akron

maddkat

Staff member
lol, they used the wrong lyrics

https://popculture.com/country-music/2019/04/25/carrie-underwood-southbound-tricky-write-drinking-song-woman/

"Carrie Underwood's latest single, "Southbound," which she wrote with Josh Miller and her Cry Pretty producer, David Garcia, is the perfect summer anthem. Underwood knew she wanted to write a song that was uptempo and light-hearted, especially for the warm weather season, but she had no idea how challenging the song would become for her.
“We get in a room, and I had the title," Underwood recalled to her record label. "I was like, 'This sounds like fun, I think. We can do something fun with this.' But then you realize how tricky for some reason it is to be a woman and write kind of a drinking party boat song. It’s strange. You wouldn’t think it would be any different, but for some reason, I feel like a guy could get away with saying this line that we just threw out there, but I can’t for some reason."

"Southbound," which says in part, "Moe got a ticket and our old wigs on / But Katie's the one that should take it slow / 'Cause she's dancin' on the dock and it's only two o'clock / Yeah, the fish ain't bitin' 'cause the party's on / The old men are thinkin' 'bout goin' home / But those redneck margaritas are two for one at that old marina," became a challenge for Underwood to portray the female character in a way that wasn't derogatory.

"I used Katie in the song as an example," Underwood explained. "So, Katie, we wanted to make her have a little too much fun, but for every line we came out with, it was like, 'Well, we don’t want it to be sad.' We still had to make Katie have a little respect but wanted to just get it out there that some people were having too much fun.

"It surprisingly took us a while to write it but by the end of it, it was like, ‘Well, this is a lot of fun,'" she added. "I feel like everybody kind of gravitated towards that one when we were all done with it.”

When the American Idol alum released Cry Pretty in September, she hinted that "Southbound" was a challenge for her to get right.

“It’s a party song about being at the lake, having a great time, and people are drinking redneck margaritas,” Underwood told CMT. “I’m not going to be like, ‘cutoff jeans,’ you know what I mean? There are certain lyrics that it’s like guys can get away with, and it’s easier. We had to spend a little more time writing this fun song.”

Underwood is getting ready to hit the road on her Cry Pretty Tour 360, with Maddie & Tae and Runaway June serving as her opening acts. The tour begins on May 1. Find dates on Underwood's website.

Download "Southbound" on iTunes."

Farawayhills

The proper lyrics are printed in the album booklet - maybe that journalist was rushing to get her copy in press before going home to try on her new wig!