Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Southbound' chart updates

FanSince04

It's important to recognize the fact that what radio plays and what people buy and/or stream do not necessarily align.

You have songs like "According To You" and "Daylight" that did very well on radio without the sales or streams to justify that.

You have songs like "Gangnam Style" and "Skyscraper" and "We Can't Stop" that did very well otherwise but stalled on radio.

There are many examples of songs not performing as well as could be expected from their pre-single performance as well.

Ke$ha's "Blah Blah Blah" featuring 3OH!3 was No 1 on iTunes upon album release, and 3OH!3 was popular at the time. But despite the fact that it followed the monster hit "TiK ToK" it still stalled on the radio.

Rihanna's "California King Bed" was the fan favourite, so was Britney Spears's "Criminal", yet both flopped as singles.

Taylor Swift's "Sparks Fly" did go No 1 on the radio in the end, but with poor overall sales and little impact, despite it being a massive fan favourite, from a huge era, and it hitting No 1 on iTunes upon release.

---

On country radio, there are numerous more examples.

"Red Solo Cup" and "Girl Crush" and "Not Ready To Make Nice" all sold very well, but didn't do nearly as well on country radio.

On the other hand, there are loads of songs that went No 1 on country radio with dismal sales and streams.

Carrie's own "Wasted" and "So Small" spent 3 weeks at No 1, and they did not sell as well as 1-week No 1s "Last Name", "Cowboy Casanova", or "Undo It". "I Told You So" sold so much it went Top 10 on the Hot 100, and it couldn't even go No 1 on Hot Country Songs. "Something In The Water" performed very well too, as shown by its dominance on Hot Country Songs and the gospel chart, but it didn't even go Top 2 on the radio.

Of course the fact that it didn't shoot up to Top 20 on iTunes after the ACM performance means it probably isn't going to be a mega sales and streaming hit without a viral video, but it really doesn't say anything about its radio potential.

For all we know, "Southbound" could've tested very well with radio, or at least the best among all the remaining tracks. It doesn't need to lift her career to a different level, it only really needs to continue her status as a hit-maker. She has already achieved so much, with moderate hits here and there she will certainly be considered a legend in another 10 years (but would be more difficult if she just flops from this point on).

Overall great comparison between radio and sales, but I do disagree with “if she flops from this point on”. I know you were making an if/then statement, but I don’t think anybody in their right mind say having a top 5 and top 11 hit means she is starting to flop, or will flop. I do believe Southbound will revive this era!!!

adam1995

Did that journalist actually think the lyric is about having old wigs on? Journalism is dying and it's because of people like this writer. I mean old wigs, lol!

clh_hilary

Overall great comparison between radio and sales, but I do disagree with “if she flops from this point on”. I know you were making an if/then statement, but I don’t think anybody in their right mind say having a top 5 and top 11 hit means she is starting to flop, or will flop. I do believe Southbound will revive this era!!!

Top 10*

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying she still needs further radio success in order to become a legend in the future. No matter what song she releases as the third single, and no matter how low it peaks, it's still not going to mean she will flop from this point on (I have to assume at least the next lead will go Top 20 ever if the third single in this era peaks outside of Top 40).

And my point on this era in particular is only referring to the scenario where she releases something radio doesn't like, which could mean the third single peaking barely in the Top 30, and not having any more single after. Which is not going to be what's going to happen since "Southbound" is persumably radio-friendly.

maddkat

Staff member
taking off:
CARRIE UNDERWOOD Southbound 3( new stations) 32( new spins)

spincrease:
CARRIE UNDERWOOD Southbound 116( new spins) 36 ( stations playing)

starters:
KPLM-FM Palm Springs, CA
KSOP-FM Salt Lake City
WHKO-FM Dayton Country
WKHX-FM Atlanta Country
KUBL-FM Salt Lake City
WYCD-FM Detroit Country
WUBL-FM Atlanta Country
WUSJ-FM Jackson, MS
KSON-FM San Diego
WKIS-FM Miami
KFDI-FM Wichita
WQMX-FM Akron
KFRG-FM Riverside
WIVK-FM Knoxville
WOGK-FM Gainesville

FanSince04

Top 10*

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying she still needs further radio success in order to become a legend in the future. No matter what song she releases as the third single, and no matter how low it peaks, it's still not going to mean she will flop from this point on (I have to assume at least the next lead will go Top 20 ever if the third single in this era peaks outside of Top 40).

And my point on this era in particular is only referring to the scenario where she releases something radio doesn't like, which could mean the third single peaking barely in the Top 30, and not having any more single after. Which is not going to be what's going to happen since "Southbound" is persumably radio-friendly.

I see what you mean. Also, I was referring to billboard when I said Top 11, since most people look at that chart when determining success for an artist. Yes, LW did achieve Top 10 technically due to it’s placement on Mediabase.

I can’t foresee Carrie ever having a song that doesn’t place within the Top 20. In my humble opinion, she’s done enough to establish herself as a legend. Anything from here on out, only furthers her influence on the genre. I do realize you’re solely focusing on this scenario, for which I will say if we are focusing on radio success she’s done enough too.

clh_hilary

I see what you mean. Also, I was referring to billboard when I said Top 11, since most people look at that chart when determining success for an artist. Yes, LW did achieve Top 10 technically due to it’s placement on Mediabase.

I can’t foresee Carrie ever having a song that doesn’t place within the Top 20. In my humble opinion, she’s done enough to establish herself as a legend. Anything from here on out, only furthers her influence on the genre. I do realize you’re solely focusing on this scenario, for which I will say if we are focusing on radio success she’s done enough too.

All I'm suggesting is that she needs *some* radio success in the next 10 years so people will still have her on their mind when she's at the time to be considered a legend.

Jason Aldean probably didn't expect "1994" to peak at No 14 after "She's Country" (No 1), "Big Green Tractor" (No 1), "The Truth" (No 1), "Crazy Town" (No 2), "My Kinda Party" (No 1 if Mediabase didn't go on holiday), "Don't You Wanna Stay" (No 1), "Dirt Road Anthem" (No 1), "Tattoos On This Town" (No 2), "Fly Over States" (No 1), "Take A Little Ride" (No 1), "The Only Way I Know" (No 1).

And Brad Paisley had 17 consecutive Top 2 singles before the No 15-peaking "Camouflage", and 2 more No 2 singles before "I Can't Change The World" stalled at No 22.

Dolly Parton's White Limozeen went from No 1-No 1 to No 39.

We certainly didn't expect "Cry Pretty" to not go Top 3, or for "Something In The Water" to not go Top 2, or for "Smoke Break" to not go No 1.

I really don't think we can take Top 20 for granted.

Though of course there are many other things for her to maintain relevance without radio success to become a legend in the future. Ultimately, she would have to go for the more "artistic" route that would sacrifice her radio success, which I think she's slowly trending towards anyway. But it would be nice to have radio success too.

FanSince04

All I'm suggesting is that she needs *some* radio success in the next 10 years so people will still have her on their mind when she's at the time to be considered a legend.

Jason Aldean probably didn't expect "1994" to peak at No 14 after "She's Country" (No 1), "Big Green Tractor" (No 1), "The Truth" (No 1), "Crazy Town" (No 2), "My Kinda Party" (No 1 if Mediabase didn't go on holiday), "Don't You Wanna Stay" (No 1), "Dirt Road Anthem" (No 1), "Tattoos On This Town" (No 2), "Fly Over States" (No 1), "Take A Little Ride" (No 1), "The Only Way I Know" (No 1).

And Brad Paisley had 17 consecutive Top 2 singles before the No 15-peaking "Camouflage", and 2 more No 2 singles before "I Can't Change The World" stalled at No 22.

Dolly Parton's White Limozeen went from No 1-No 1 to No 39.

We certainly didn't expect "Cry Pretty" to not go Top 3, or for "Something In The Water" to not go Top 2, or for "Smoke Break" to not go No 1.

I really don't think we can take Top 20 for granted.

Though of course there are many other things for her to maintain relevance without radio success to become a legend in the future. Ultimately, she would have to go for the more "artistic" route that would sacrifice her radio success, which I think she's slowly trending towards anyway. But it would be nice to have radio success too.

Good points!

txacar

Smoke break didnt go #1? What did it end up as? I always thought all her singles went #1 besides SITW?

I think they are talking Billboard. On Mediabase, prior to the current era, DTFRM, Mama's Song, and SITW finished at #2. Everything else went to #1.

Zach1998

I think they are talking Billboard. On Mediabase, prior to the current era, DTFRM, Mama's Song, and SITW finished at #2. Everything else went to #1.

I think it was just Mama's Song and SITW that finished at #2. DFTRM went #1 on R&R (which was the main chart before it was changed to mediabase) didn't it?

clh_hilary

I think it was just Mama's Song and SITW that finished at #2. DFTRM went #1 on R&R (which was the main chart before it was changed to mediabase) didn't it?

Yeah, "Don't Forget To Remember Me" is considered a No 1 single.

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" was No 1 on the Mediabase's unofficial Christmas chart, too. But since it's unofficial, it's not recognized as a No 1 single.

Did "See You Again" go No 1? I thought it went No 4 or something.

Zach1998

Yeah, "Don't Forget To Remember Me" is considered a No 1 single.

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" was No 1 on the Mediabase's unofficial Christmas chart, too. But since it's unofficial, it's not recognized as a No 1 single.

Did "See You Again" go No 1? I thought it went No 4 or something.

I'm not sure about DYHWIH, but See You Again was one of her many mediabase only #1's. It got to #2 on billboard. Still managed to sneak into the top 40 on the hot 100 though at #34 which I thought was impressive.

mbh

Thanks for clarifying that. This is the reason why I kept on saying during Cry Pretty single's final chart run that Carrie had ALL NUMBER ONES except two singles that finished at number two only. I am more interested on country radios chart run, so, I do not follow Billboard Charts and I do not even care about it.

Eder Rodrigues

idbr87.jpg

maddkat

Staff member
^^ one tiny correction to that impressive chart - LW peaked at #10 on the official mediabase chart

taking off:
CARRIE UNDERWOOD Southbound 3(new stations) 46( new spins)

spincrease:
CARRIE UNDERWOOD Southbound 162 43(stations playing)

starters:
WHKO-FM Dayton
KPLM-FM Palm Springs, CA
KSOP-FM Salt Lake City
WKHX-FM Atlanta
KUBL-FM Salt Lake City
WYCD-FM Detroit
WOGK-FM Gainesville
WUSJ-FM Jackson, MS
WIVK-FM Knoxville
KSON-FM San Diego
WKIS-FM Miami
KFDI-FM Wichita
WQMX-FM Akron
KHKI-FM Des Moines
KFRG-FM Riverside
WKXC-FM Augusta, GA

AdrianAustraliaCarrie

We need No more low performing singles (thank goodness the top10 mediabase streak is still intact!) but a big part of the last 2 singles has been country radio’s attitude to female releases, rather than the singles themselves....

Looking forward to Southbound!

teesharky

I hope WUSN Chicago plays this song. They seem to have been very nasty to Carrie lately, and are one of the reasns she has not beein doing well on Billboard at all. They have a big impact on Billboard and high rotation.

What is the deal with that station/ Did Carrie piss in their koolaid or what? thanks.