Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Southbound' chart updates

Farawayhills

Carrie co-wrote "Southbound", and included it on her first formally co-produced album - I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have done either, unless she liked the song and wanted to commit to it (she's known to be choosy about what ends up on the album, and does drop her own co-writes if she doesn't think they fit what she wants to say). While it's true that we don't know how much input she actually has into radio promotional singles, my guess would be that, at this stage of a leading star career, it would be substantial. Also, I don't think she would have performed it as her only solo at the ACM showcase (where she's both well liked, and a big draw) if she was in any way doubtful about it. In short, I think it's safe to assume she wants this song.

As I said, her career is particularly closely identified with radio (I can for example, immediately, think of three other currently prominent female singers who appear less concerned with radio, and have built other areas of major support, in Pop, Alt Country, touring and critical approval). Carrie may, indeed, be able to beat these at their own games if she so chose - but, so far, they have not seemed her main focus, and radio hits tend to dominate her signature performances, and much of her identification with general listeners.

"Southbound" does seem on anecdotal evidence, the "safest" radio song - in theme, summery mood, avoidance of controversy, catchy identification, similarity to recent popular hit material, etc. After two, very different, but relatively underperforming singles, it may have seemed the likeliest choice to attempt to reassert her leading place on radio. Her co-writers, David Garcia and Josh Miller, for example, also both co-wrote Bebe Rexha's recent mega hit - and while that may not exactly assuage some of the feelings expressed here - in practical terms, the point is likely to have been noted.

In short, there are reasons for going for this song, and if that's what Carrie wants, or feels may offer the best short-term benefit, then I feel we should do what Maddkat suggests and concentrate on the chart run. The era, as a whole, still has legs to run. - and if this song does well, that may help to increase the prospects for prolonging it.

gocountrymusic

No we can't my post got deleted cause i said we don't have to agree with everything Carrie does. So much for opinions

Other people have posted negative opinions and have not been deleted. Maybe reevaluate what you have said it or how you have said because it is probably something else.

maddkat

Staff member
No we can't my post got deleted cause i said we don't have to agree with everything Carrie does. So much for opinions
First you have a problem with the mods send us a pm, second you did not voice an opinion on Southbound you voiced the opinion that people are allowed to have opinions ,and I had already today asked people to move on from that or take it to PMs.

in case you missed it

this thread is for Southbound chart updates ,enough talk about each others opinions, you want to continue that take to PMs.

if people just want to come here to diss on pretty much everything Carrie does that's their right. support would be nice , but if you can't scroll past put them on ignore.

if want to talk about this further as I said send us a pm

CU4ever

Not sure if this means much but it could be some time before we see SB on the chart (as in not early this week) as on All Access - where I think the stations download their songs- Southbound is not yet available for download or anything like that.

I am really hoping for a fast climb up the chart starting next week!

rcramer

Carrie co-wrote "Southbound", and included it on her first formally co-produced album - I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have done either, unless she liked the song and wanted to commit to it (she's known to be choosy about what ends up on the album, and does drop her own co-writes if she doesn't think they fit what she wants to say). While it's true that we don't know how much input she actually has into radio promotional singles, my guess would be that, at this stage of a leading star career, it would be substantial. Also, I don't think she would have performed it as her only solo at the ACM showcase (where she's both well liked, and a big draw) if she was in any way doubtful about it. In short, I think it's safe to assume she wants this song.

As I said, her career is particularly closely identified with radio (I can for example, immediately, think of three other currently prominent female singers who appear less concerned with radio, and have built other areas of major support, in Pop, Alt Country, touring and critical approval). Carrie may, indeed, be able to beat these at their own games if she so chose - but, so far, they have not seemed her main focus, and radio hits tend to dominate her signature performances, and much of her identification with general listeners.

"Southbound" does seem on anecdotal evidence, the "safest" radio song - in theme, summery mood, avoidance of controversy, catchy identification, similarity to recent popular hit material, etc. After two, very different, but relatively underperforming singles, it may have seemed the likeliest choice to attempt to reassert her leading place on radio. Her co-writers, David Garcia and Josh Miller, for example, also both co-wrote Bebe Rexha's recent mega hit - and while that may not exactly assuage some of the feelings expressed here - in practical terms, the point is likely to have been noted.

In short, there are reasons for going for this song, and if that's what Carrie wants, or feels may offer the best short-term benefit, then I feel we should do what Maddkat suggests and concentrate on the chart run. The era, as a whole, still has legs to run. - and if this song does well, that may help to increase the prospects for prolonging it.

Great post.... Perfectly said...... Reference to the bold part, it would make for a perfect summer song, it is radio friendly, and it is better than any bro country song out there today..

CU4ever

Another early-good review for Southbound from ACC w/ Kix Brooks

"[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]@carrieunderwood[FONT=&quot] releases a summer jam for her next single... [/FONT]
1f31e.png
1f60e.png
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
1f3b6.png
"

Love seeing lots of early support from the country music community, not just Carrie fans :p

Momin

This week's update::

#6 Kelsea Ballerini - "Miss Me More"
#12 Carrie Underwood - "Love Wins" (going to fall off now)
#16 Maren Morris - "Girl"
#23 Runaway June - "Buy My Own Drinks"
#24 Lindsay Ell (featured on Brantley Gilbert's song) - "What Happens in a Small Town"
#35 Hilary Lindsey (featured on Randy Houser's song) - "What Whiskey Does" (falling off as well)
#28 Carly Pearce - "Closer to You"
#36 Kacey Musgraves - "Rainbow"
#31 Tenille Townes - "Somebody's Daughter" (really surprised she's getting this much airplay!)
#39 Lauren Alaina - "Ladies in the 90's" (top 40 finally!)
#47 Ashley McBryde - "Girl Goin' Nowhere"

simonplay

Not sure if this means much but it could be some time before we see SB on the chart (as in not early this week) as on All Access - where I think the stations download their songs- Southbound is not yet available for download or anything like that.

I am really hoping for a fast climb up the chart starting next week!

The Billboard add said "on your desk now" so I think they already send the song. However I don't see Southbound in the charts this week or next week anyway.

adam1995

This week's update::

#6 Kelsea Ballerini - "Miss Me More"
#12 Carrie Underwood - "Love Wins" (going to fall off now)
#16 Maren Morris - "Girl"
#23 Runaway June - "Buy My Own Drinks"
#24 Lindsay Ell (featured on Brantley Gilbert's song) - "What Happens in a Small Town"
#35 Hilary Lindsey (featured on Randy Houser's song) - "What Whiskey Does" (falling off as well)
#28 Carly Pearce - "Closer to You"
#36 Kacey Musgraves - "Rainbow"
#31 Tenille Townes - "Somebody's Daughter" (really surprised she's getting this much airplay!)
#39 Lauren Alaina - "Ladies in the 90's" (top 40 finally!)
#47 Ashley McBryde - "Girl Goin' Nowhere"

Am I the only one who is not thrilled with this song? It's just listing a bunch of songs and lyrics. To me that's not really writing. I'm just not a fan of these types of songs. References to other songs are fine, but whole titles and lyrics in other songs is lazy.

maddkat

Staff member
not one, not two, but 3 ads in country aircheck today for SB

on this one, if you click the pictures( in the email) they each take you to the SB ACM performance
335b5lh.jpg

kiwigirl

SB is not as amazing as others like Low or DA but it's what radio is playing at the moment and Carrie hasn't had a number one since the last album.
My guess is they went with a radio friendly song to not only give Carrie a number 1 but also it's summer now and she's going on tour and it's the perfect choice to lead into that.
It's a fun and catchy tune that's perfect for summer.
If I were her new label I would be slightly panicking, Carrie has had number ones from every album since her debut, if nothing makes it to number 1 this era then that's a worry.