Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor Swift - Reputation Era

Wow, ok. I knew something was very different this time. The whole roll out. The commitment for no streaming. The darker tinge to the material. And its not even that its darker. Its that is self-absorbed more so than usual almost paranoid. I am always surprised by public reaction and never surprised by it.
But as an album with very little of what people have come to expect from her "hook after hook after hook in the form of a song" I am not surprised that these songs are not catching on.

I still think the whole "mod-squad" "we can not be touched" thing was a bad idea from the start. Her biggest asset for the audience that liked her so much was her accessibility to them. The elitist thing just did not sit on her as well. As most of her fan base are used to being treated poorly by "mean girls", when she became one I think they lost trust......

The roll out for the album did seem a bit more unusual this time around.I just don’t know why she had to become so snarky & so mean this time around on her album.When you end up doing that,you become like every other cookie cutter pop star that has to use drama just to sell an album.At least in the country music world you’re not going to see artists taking pot shots at each other because of some supposed beef that they have with each other.Taylor’s acting like she’s better than everyone else &acting like she has to prove she’s a mean girl by becoming one herself,which is part of the reason why I stopped being a fan of hers in the first place.I know she was getting tired of the media pushing her around,but did she have to get so mean & cruel to do that?There has to be a better way of getting back at the media than being mean and snarky just to prove a point.I just have no interest in being a fan of an artist that gets treated poorly or acts like she has to be mean to prove she’s like everyone else when you just come across as being desperate.

HuiZ

Spot on about the mean girl comment. The whole rollout, looking disinterested in performance, not even allowing people to hear snippets before buying, blaming everyone else but her.... all feel so snotty.

I wonder how much her debut week sales next album era will drop to. Before Reputation, she was always known as a good album artist hence people buy without even listening.... but after this era, the casual buyers won't blindly do that for the next album anymore.

pklongbeach

I think at least for the next album she will continue to be an "event" artist. Someone who creates drama and buzz to promote and release material. And I think she can fairly catch her audience back if she went back to the annoying candy-pop her mainstream audience loves aka Shake It Off / We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together. But it certainly will Never Ever go back to the million sold in a day kind of machine that was created by her and S.B.

She proved again with Better Man that she can write music that people like to hear. But she has also shown that in the wrong vessel people will not like it (reputation=taylor)

So she can always come back.

The thing for me is that I have been saying for a long time that the person we see in Reputation and some of the other more mean spirited material she writes really is a part of who she is. She has been showing that from day one "Picture to Burn". But it was glossed in a painting of daisies and sunshine. And I think a lot of young girls felt that they could be nice on the outside but still own this darker side underneath. And I accept that and its actually true.

But now as an adult, without the flowers and moonbeams, she thinks it is time to show that darker side more fully dressed. And she is just tooooooo privileged for anyone to care about a darker side. It just comes across as self-indulgent. Because it IS.

She will likely snap back into a girl scout cookie for the next album. And have continued, but still altered, success. Or, she will dig her heals deeper into the "misunderstood" artist like Gaga did, and have to fall flat on her face before picking herself up again and starting from scratch.......

Due to her penchant for understanding pop culture, my guess is that she goes back to cookie cutter taylor once again...... I see it all in yellow!!!!

rcramer

I think at least for the next album she will continue to be an "event" artist. Someone who creates drama and buzz to promote and release material. And I think she can fairly catch her audience back if she went back to the annoying candy-pop her mainstream audience loves aka Shake It Off / We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together. But it certainly will Never Ever go back to the million sold in a day kind of machine that was created by her and S.B.

She proved again with Better Man that she can write music that people like to hear. But she has also shown that in the wrong vessel people will not like it (reputation=taylor)

The thing for me is that I have been saying for a long time that the person we see in Reputation and some of the other more mean spirited material she writes really is a part of who she is
. She has been showing that from day one "Picture to Burn". But it was glossed in a painting of daisies and sunshine. And I think a lot of young girls felt that they could be nice on the outside but still own this darker side underneath. And I accept that and its actually true.

But now as an adult, without the flowers and moonbeams, she thinks it is time to show that darker side more fully dressed. And she is just tooooooo privileged for anyone to care about a darker side. It just comes across as self-indulgent. Because it IS.

She will likely snap back into a girl scout cookie for the next album. And have continued, but still altered, success. Or, she will dig her heals deeper into the "misunderstood" artist like Gaga did, and have to fall flat on her face before picking herself up again and starting from scratch.......

Due to her penchant for understanding pop culture, my guess is that she goes back to cookie cutter taylor once again...... I see it all in yellow!!!!

Bingo...... You got that right.... My thoughts are "Leopards don't change their spots".

clh_hilary

The roll out for the album did seem a bit more unusual this time around.I just don’t know why she had to become so snarky & so mean this time around on her album.When you end up doing that,you become like every other cookie cutter pop star that has to use drama just to sell an album.At least in the country music world you’re not going to see artists taking pot shots at each other because of some supposed beef that they have with each other.Taylor’s acting like she’s better than everyone else &acting like she has to prove she’s a mean girl by becoming one herself,which is part of the reason why I stopped being a fan of hers in the first place.I know she was getting tired of the media pushing her around,but did she have to get so mean & cruel to do that?There has to be a better way of getting back at the media than being mean and snarky just to prove a point.I just have no interest in being a fan of an artist that gets treated poorly or acts like she has to be mean to prove she’s like everyone else when you just come across as being desperate.

Because it worked for "Bad Blood" featuring Kendrick Lamar, so they thought it would work for her this time.

And I have to assume this is her real personality.

clh_hilary

Wow, ok. I knew something was very different this time. The whole roll out. The commitment for no streaming. The darker tinge to the material. And its not even that its darker. Its that is self-absorbed more so than usual almost paranoid. I am always surprised by public reaction and never surprised by it.
But as an album with very little of what people have come to expect from her "hook after hook after hook in the form of a song" I am not surprised that these songs are not catching on.

I still think the whole "mod-squad" "we can not be touched" thing was a bad idea from the start. Her biggest asset for the audience that liked her so much was her accessibility to them. The elitist thing just did not sit on her as well. As most of her fan base are used to being treated poorly by "mean girls", when she became one I think they lost trust......

I don't think people expect hook after hook from her. I think they expect relatable lyrcis.

How's anyone supposed to relate to being forced to shade Kanye West at the Grammys or having the big reputation of a serial dater? I mean, sure, some people could relate to that, but not everyone.

And what is "...Ready For It" even about?

Also, there's no commitment for no streaming. She put everything on Spotify way earlier than she did with 1989.

clh_hilary

The thing for me is that I have been saying for a long time that the person we see in Reputation and some of the other more mean spirited material she writes really is a part of who she is. She has been showing that from day one "Picture to Burn". But it was glossed in a painting of daisies and sunshine. And I think a lot of young girls felt that they could be nice on the outside but still own this darker side underneath. And I accept that and its actually true.

In this day and age, opening with 300k is already a very big number, so no matter how far she falls next time, she'll still be selling a great amount.

pklongbeach

"When this album comes out, gossip blogs will scour the lyrics for the men they can attribute to each song, as if the inspiration for music is as simple and basic as a paternity. There will be slideshows of photos backing up each incorrect theory...and if you didn't see a picture of it, it couldn't have happened,"

I guess this is what continues to kind of annoy me about her. She may be right that there are so many people who "comb through" her lyrics looking for every "wrong theory". But pointing it out as if she has gotten people to do her bidding (after all, this is exactly what she has always wanted) is just so self-indulgent and self-centered. That's the part of herself that she does NOT see when she is writing these lyrics and showing us who she is on the inside.

I think this song will hit or miss on its own merit. I think any big push for this album is over and the label just wants it to last as long as possible to get the last of a great deal of product off shelves. I will wait to see if I hear it on the radio and decide then if I like it. Since they have made it difficult to hear her music now without buying it, I will have to wait until they want me to hear it. Or not at all.......

pklongbeach

I really expected Pink to be The Female Artist of the Year. She has been having such a good album cycle. Her songs have been resonating so much. And she as an artist has been at the top of peoples attention.
I guess it does not surprise me that after a whole year and an entire album cycle that Swift would come in on top, but I had just hoped that someone would get it that people care about........ oh well.

I am happy with all the other winners. Even though I am not sure how winners are chosen, I like the choices made......

pklongbeach

I was checking in to see how Delicate is doing. I know it's still a little early. But I wonder if there are any indicators that it might be a legit hit. Its the only song in quite a while that I have actually heard played on a pop station. But only once.

I did notice that the video had 64 mil views. So people are clearly still interested in her. But are they laying down money still......

clh_hilary

I was checking in to see how Delicate is doing. I know it's still a little early. But I wonder if there are any indicators that it might be a legit hit. Its the only song in quite a while that I have actually heard played on a pop station. But only once.

I did notice that the video had 64 mil views. So people are clearly still interested in her. But are they laying down money still......

Nope. It's flopping. And 64 million is awful when she has 1 billion views videos. The song isn't selling, radio isn't playing, people aren't streaming it. The era is over.

pklongbeach

Nope. It's flopping. And 64 million is awful when she has 1 billion views videos. The song isn't selling, radio isn't playing, people aren't streaming it. The era is over.
That was a pretty short era was it not? Easily the least successful. What do you think the issues with it were..?