Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 10 Best & Worst National Anthems Ever, From Roseanne To Whitney

teesharky

It was bad. I mean, she hit the notes....so I give her credit for that. But the riffs and runs were just way out of control! It was like the National Anthem on steroids!

And she flubbed the words quite a bit, too. It wasn't just one line. It was off alot in like 2 lines at least.

teesharky

I feel bad for Christina, she must feel like an idiot right now. Her career was already suffering; this is probably the worst thing that could've happened. :(

There's no excuse to mess up the national anthem, but we already know it doesn't always bring out the best of every artist.

I kind of feel bad for her too. She is a good vocalist, and at least she went live, so I am going to give her props for that.

But the melisma and oversinging ruiined it for me, even if she had got the lyrics right. She looked nice today though. Much better then her Golden Globes look.

pklongbeach

I agree she was trying way to hard and seemed like she over thought what she was going to do.
Yeah, that was my biggest problem with it.
It almost felt like a singing exercise. Like she was not actually singing words that should mean anything to anyone.
Toward the end "And the home of the..........." it was as if she stopped and realized that she now had to hit this rediculous not that was not going to go well. It was as if she knew.
Five years ago when she was at her absolute best, her melisma was working cause it was in the context of her own material.
But she now falls back on it so much that I agree with Melissa, it is just a way of falling off those big notes so she does not have to extend them.
Anyway, no point in beating a dead horse.
It's just a shame that it did not have to go that way.
Could it be that after last years stratisferic rendition, she felt the need to "over do it"?
She shouldn't have.

teesharky

As a Christina fan, I will tell you that the reason why she peppers in all of those unnecessary runs and riffs is because she has a hard time with the big notes (the "RED GLAAAAAAAAAAARE" and the "land of the FREEEEEEEE"), so she tries to overcompensate with melisma. That performance was just embarrassing. She has never had a good performance of the song in her career, but this one was the worst. She tried WAY too hard.

The "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE" note was EMBARRASSING. So out of tune. :(

She sang half a step lower than Carrie btw.

yeah I consider myself a Christina fan too, but she made a mess with it tonight with all that melisma. She almost made the anthem unrecognizable, botched lyrics or not.

funny thing-- some people prefer her style of the anthem and they think Carrie's acapella is boring, as it doesn't have enough runs or riffs. I just can't understand that. lol

teesharky

As for the halftime show, someone needs to teach Fergie how to do a proper GNR cover. Carrie OWNS that SCOM song. I like the Peas, and was entertained overall by the performance, but the singing was dreadful.

Usher is the only one that sang on key all night.

The Nanook

Did Christina not get lyrics for her performance? I know Carrie got the lyrics for the National Anthem that ran along the stadium when she sang it last year. Even if Christina had gotten the lyrics right though, it still would have been a very poor performance; she had way too many unnecessary runs and notes to try to make it "her own." The NA is really a song that is best when sung without any, or too many unnecessary, changes.

DaisyTweets

yeah I consider myself a Christina fan too, but she made a mess with it tonight with all that melisma. She almost made the anthem unrecognizable, botched lyrics or not.

funny thing-- some people prefer her style of the anthem and they think Carrie's acapella is boring, as it doesn't have enough runs or riffs. I just can't understand that. lol

Well that's kind of unfortunate since the song is meant to honor our country not to glorify the performer of the song. I prefer Carrie's straightforward yet powerful performances of the song.

teesharky

^ agree. But many of the celebs that get asked to do the anthem, seem to view it as a vehicle to show off. It almost seems like America is an after thought. lol

rainbow1

I had to laugh, when she sang the wrong words, one of the football players rolled his eyes sideways to his friend....as if WHAT?

Zman312

WOW, I never liked Christina's NA, but this was a new low for her. (She is an incredible singer who tends to over do it)! AND THIS IS WHY ARTIST BEFORE CARRIE LIP-SINGS!!! I feel bad for Christina because she had to sing the year after Carrie and was pretty much forced to sing live because Carrie did it. I can grauntee you that next year the singer will lip-sing!

Yes ppl, Whitney, Mariah, Beyonce, Jordin, Jennifer FAith and many more ALL LIP-SANG the NA at the SB.... But Carrie took a risk and it worked for her! As a die hard Carrie fan, I will say better someone else than Carrie. I do feel sorry for Christina but she just did a horrible job!!!!

bree

Poor Christina haha.

This proves that they need to bring Carrie back again next year to sing the anthem. She looked and sang 100x better! :)

mofan

That was horrible, I did'nt like Lea Michelles song either. She was a couple of beats behind the music.