Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Black Cadillacs On The Mediabase Charts (Blown Away Era)

clh_hilary

I believe that her company apart from the first single (Good girl) that was released in last year's February intended to release Blown away as the second single. But i have 2 questions:
Was the fact that Carrie's record company released the first 4 singles (of blown away album) in the arithmetic order (sequence) of the album setlist a coincidence (something that occured accidentally)??
Did her record company had in mind what singles to release since the release of the Blown away?? I mean back in May that the Blown away album was released her company KNEW (inside information) what the 4 or 5 (remains to be seen) songs were to be released and with the exact order??

It was a coincidence.

You call it a 'track list' not a 'set list'. Set lists are for concerts/shows/gigs.

Labels usually have a single line-up but not a must and plans do change. Labels need to 'see' how an album could perform well to release it, otherwise they can't decide on how much promotional money they are going to invest in it.

Jae

Yes, Billboard does not consider 22 Country and thus it never charted on Hot Country Songs despite its strong initial sales. Red, however, has already been crowded a #2 Country smash.

The Pop-exclusive single has also not been sent or promoted to Country radio so by no means it could be considered her current Country single.

Thanks for the answer! However, I'm a bit confused. I didn't know Red the single had been released to country radio. When did that happen?

And the "pop-exclusive single" you just mentioned -- is that Red or a different song?

HuiZ

Thanks for the answer! However, I'm a bit confused. I didn't know Red the single had been released to country radio. When did that happen?

And the "pop-exclusive single" you just mentioned -- is that Red or a different song?
Red charted based on sales during the album release period (Billboard classified that as country, hence it was allowed to appear on Hot Country Songs chart).

The pop-exclusive singles are I Knew You Were Trouble and 22 so far, which Billboard doesn't classify as country.

WANEGBT was the only controversial pop single with a country remix sent to country radio, hence it charted on HCS.

Jae

Red charted based on sales during the album release period (Billboard classified that as country, hence it was allowed to appear on Hot Country Songs chart).

The pop-exclusive singles are I Knew You Were Trouble and 22 so far, which Billboard doesn't classify as country.

WANEGBT was the only controversial pop single with a country remix sent to country radio, hence it charted on HCS.

Thanks for that, HuiZ.

I find it odd that Red would be classified country while 22 isn't. I mean, what's the difference (rhetorical question)? It's probably because the synthesized and reverbed vocals on 22 are a hallmark of classic country.

clh_hilary

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, exactly this.

I'd like to further clarify that the week Red debuted & peaked at #2 (breaking the record for highest female debut which was set by We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together earlier which debuted #13 with a Clear Channel deal) was the week it was released as an iTunes exclusive countdown single (it was the first). It also was the first week of the revamped genre-specific charts, the week WANRGBT skyrocketed to #1, and Begin Again climbed to #10 with its second-week sales and little airplay.

clh_hilary

Thanks for that, HuiZ.

I find it odd that Red would be classified country while 22 isn't. I mean, what's the difference (rhetorical question)? It's probably because the synthesized and reverbed vocals on 22 are a hallmark of classic country.

I think it's obvious that Red is countrier than 22, had the autotune been taken away. It has more of a Country sound a la her previous rock-based singles.

But I'd also say it's mainly because it was the first week of the revamped charts and Billboard did not consider the songs very carefully. In fact, they started only to exclude certain Taylor Swift tracks (I Knew You Were Trouble. was the countdown tune that followed, which would have debuted #1, and State of Grace which followed Trouble also was not classified as Country) after the first week. During that week, they also got Ronan debuted high on HCS based basically on sales.

I believe All Too Well was the highest-charting album track of Swift's during album releases week on Hot Country Songs, as they have excluded a couple of other tracks from charting.

She really lucked out with BA actually - Had the rules been introduced a week later, it would not have even been close to Top 10 on HCS, and would have thus broken her Top 10 streak, like Two Black Cadillacs broke Carrie's Top 3 streak later on. (And of course Red would not have been Top 10 either.)

I like Zac Brown Band's Goodbye in her eyes and i also like it when country songs get cross-over airplay in pop/hotac/ac stations but i can not understand why Goodbye in her eyes gets airplay from HOTAC without even being officially released to that format whereas two black cadillacs is not being played at all.
Why did not hotac stations choose to play carrie's Two black cadillacs instead??
It is a good song but Two black cadillacs is FAR better than that!

clh_hilary

I like Zac Brown Band's Goodbye in her eyes and i also like it when country songs get cross-over airplay in pop/hotac/ac stations but i can not understand why Goodbye in her eyes gets airplay from HOTAC without even being officially released to that format whereas two black cadillacs is not being played at all.
Why did not hotac stations choose to play carrie's Two black cadillacs instead??
It is a good song but Two black cadillacs is FAR better than that!

1. Zac Brown Band's Goodbye In Her Eyes peaked way earlier - You can't tell the future and you don't if Two Black Cadillacs would get a spin or two, or if it already did. In fact, in the Blown Away era, TBC is currently the only single that hasn't been significantly played by the HAC format;
2. The song in question is currently at its peak position at #43 with a mere 178 spins - That's negligible airplay and a random showing at best;
3. Adult-oriented formats (ie Country, AC, Hot AC, the rock-related formats) are more male-oriented (not dominant) because that's what their markets are;
4. ZBB's was a bigger Country airplay hit - TBC managed to be the most-played Country song for a week with a push, while GIHE enjoyed a comfy three-week stay atop Billboard's Country airplay;
5. ZBB's team had worked more on the format. For example, they tried to test several previous singles of theirs, including Free - The last time Carrie's team did anything with the format was in 2006 with Before He Cheats, and they did not actually do much, if at all.

But most of all, radio don't play or not play songs because you personally feel they should or should not do so.

teesharky

It Feels like it is taking an awful long time for SYA to hit top 50. I had hoped more stations would jump on it before the Adds date. Must still be playing TBC- or waiting till she debuts it on Idol?

clh_hilary

It Feels like it is taking an awful long time for SYA to hit top 50. I had hoped more stations would jump on it before the Adds date. Must still be playing TBC- or waiting till she debuts it on Idol?

Carrie indeed is still enjoying a massive amount of recurrent airplay.

Two Black Cadillacs is actually still the eleventh most played song on Country radio as of today, while Blown Away is sitting at thirty-seventh. Good Girl, on the other hand, is still lingering around the seventy-seventh spot. That's 10115 spins (More than the spins the #3 song, Lady Antebellum's Downtown, is receiving.), and 57.036 million of Audience Impression (Would've given a song a #4 spot, replacing Chris Young's I Can Take It From... .) between them.

To compare, the past several number ones hits are at #5 (Blake Shelton), #17 (Tim McGraw), #22 (The Band Perry), #23 (Little Big Town), #25 (Florida-Georgia Line), #27 (Randy Houser), #28 (Gary Allen), #31 (Jason Aldean), #55 (Brad Paisley), #60 (Taylor Swift).

Not to mention the previous chart week had been filled with last-minute #1 pushes (Hunter Hayes, Lee Brice) along with a Clear Channel hot shot debut (Blake Shelton), so it's not like they have a lot of spare spins to use.

DizzyDollyDee

Carrie indeed is still enjoying a massive amount of recurrent airplay.

Two Black Cadillacs is actually still the eleventh most played song on Country radio as of today, while Blown Away is sitting at thirty-seventh. Good Girl, on the other hand, is still lingering around the seventy-seventh spot. That's 10115 spins (More than the spins the #3 song, Lady Antebellum's Downtown, is receiving.), and 57.036 million of Audience Impression (Would've given a song a #4 spot, replacing Chris Young's I Can Take It From... .) between them.

To compare, the past several number ones hits are at #5 (Blake Shelton), #17 (Tim McGraw), #22 (The Band Perry), #23 (Little Big Town), #25 (Florida-Georgia Line), #27 (Randy Houser), #28 (Gary Allen), #31 (Jason Aldean), #55 (Brad Paisley), #60 (Taylor Swift).

Not to mention the previous chart week had been filled with last-minute #1 pushes (Hunter Hayes, Lee Brice) along with a Clear Channel hot shot debut (Blake Shelton), so it's not like they have a lot of spare spins to use.

I have not heard SYA on my stations (again, I could just be missing them as don't know where to check) but I'm hearing Carrie on the radio consistently with the others and yes, they are playing her last 3 singles the most but occasionally throwing in BHC and one of her other older singles. They love our Carrie. They seem to be stuck with all the older top hits of everybody's as sure tired of not hearing new music. But it appeared they were a little slow jumping on TBC when it started too and stayed with BA instead - thinking they just really like these new singles she has put out. As usual they stand out from others - its like she has a world of her own and I love it. I'm a fanatic fan!!

carebear4eva

I believe that her company apart from the first single (Good girl) that was released in last year's February intended to release Blown away as the second single. But i have 2 questions:
Was the fact that Carrie's record company released the first 4 singles (of blown away album) in the arithmetic order (sequence) of the album setlist a coincidence (something that occured accidentally)??
Did her record company had in mind what singles to release since the release of the Blown away?? I mean back in May that the Blown away album was released her company KNEW (inside information) what the 4 or 5 (remains to be seen) songs were to be released and with the exact order??

I wouldn't call it a "coincidence" per se...It was just a natural thing to happen when you have an album as front-loaded as BA.

Pi314CA

I have not heard SYA on my stations (again, I could just be missing them as don't know where to check) but I'm hearing Carrie on the radio consistently with the others and yes, they are playing her last 3 singles the most but occasionally throwing in BHC and one of her other older singles. They love our Carrie. They seem to be stuck with all the older top hits of everybody's as sure tired of not hearing new music. But it appeared they were a little slow jumping on TBC when it started too and stayed with BA instead - thinking they just really like these new singles she has put out. As usual they stand out from others - its like she has a world of her own and I love it. I'm a fanatic fan!!

I think we'll hear lots of SYA after the Idol 'premiere'. :)

NC State Carrie Fan

Ive heard Two Black Cadillacs this past week more than i have this whole era...It was the #1 most requested song this week and ive heard it at least 11-12 times this week plus i heard Blown Away 3 times

I wouldn't call it a "coincidence" per se...It was just a natural thing to happen when you have an album as front-loaded as BA.

The reason i made that question was to evaluate how possible is the fact of DYTAM getting released as a fifth single.
I know that the pole positions in an album's tracklist are given to ''strong'' singles and that Blown away is Carrie's best album to date.
anyway I really hope that the next single will be CGAS, or WAW, or DYTAM.
OWT would have been a good choice if it had been released for the summer but i think it's too late for it to be released in July (Though i think Keith Urban's Long hot summer was released in the middle of the summer)

I really like WAW and i prefer it to DYTAM
Wine after whiskey is so beautifully performed:
''do anything for you babe''--> reassuring-convincing tone
''to you don't even miss me'' -->complaining tone
But the only thing i don't like about the song is that it's too depressing and sad...

I am sure that her company will test the songs in a sample of country listeners and then decide which is the best choice for fifth single.

Anyway i do really want a fifth single!!!

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher

Well since SYA is not listed under Cool New Music on All Access, I don't think it has officially been sent to radio yet. That will probably happen right after Carrie performs it on Idol or on Monday.

epicamends

Well since SYA is not listed under Cool New Music on All Access, I don't think it has officially been sent to radio yet. That will probably happen right after Carrie performs it on Idol or on Monday.

Yeah, I don't think SYA has been sent to radio yet. I also expect that to happen after Idol.