Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Black Cadillacs On The Mediabase Charts (Blown Away Era)

pklongbeach

To me the biggest indication that BAS was a bondafid smash is the fact that radio still does not seem to want to stop playing it. I still hear it quite a bit and it still sounds amazing.
I think radio and audiences really liked it alot.
Many are still looking for the next BHC, and as Carrie is a country artist not interested in that kind of a hit. All has to be judged within its context.
BA was a huge hit for her.

bs63093

BA was sure as hell a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge smash! but on country radio, and please yall cant tell me u guys werent expecting crossover top 5 on hot 100 katy perry style smash, cuz i sure as hell was excited reading the prev forums mentioning that haha and sorry carrie may say it but its EVERY artists secret desire to have huge #1 hits on crossover(well i guess)

The Nanook

I don't think anyone is doubting BA's success, but I too thought it could have been even bigger than it is/was. Not gonna lie, I'd have loved to see a larger crossover impact and sales closer to 2 million (did RCA just drop the ball on pushing BA? I wonder how much they tried or if they just didn't see it having potential). But BA's done amazing already. All that's left really is a possible Song/Single of the Year nomination from the Grammys, ACMs, and CMAs next year.

carriecountrystar

I don't think anyone is doubting BA's success, but I too thought it could have been even bigger than it is/was. Not gonna lie, I'd have loved to see a larger crossover impact and sales closer to 2 million (did RCA just drop the ball on pushing BA? I wonder how much they tried or if they just didn't see it having potential). But BA's done amazing already. All that's left really is a possible Song/Single of the Year nomination from the Grammys, ACMs, and CMAs next year.

THIS.

BA was a definite stand out and I thought it would become huge (like JTTW and BHC and LS/YBWM success) because it showed a lot of potential in the beginning but then it didn't really take off anywhere else. (Also, like gaycarebear said, plenty of songs reach platinum. not to mention there's a #1 song every week on radio so that alone isn't enough to garner the smash hit that we were hoping for).
I think Carrie also thought BA would be the one to challenge the success of JTTW/BHC (since she said so before BA-the album came out). Oh well, that's life.

We still have TBC. fingers crossed*

bigbluegrl23

guys, some of yall need to accept that carrie underwood will NEVER crossover again AND THATS OK! and it's not because she isn't popular but because she does not pander. remixing doesn't only have to do with taking away country instruments. TBC and BA are pop friendly enough. pop remixing has to do with defining the song as officially pop. pop stations have no desire to play an "official" country song. why would they when other artists are willing to change FOR them. Carrie constantly makes a big statement about being country and popular music doesn't want anything to do with it.

Some of you guys also need to realize that being big on pop won't keep you around forever. establishing yourself as strong as Carrie has in one genre though? that gives you a strong loyal audience. Carrie is in no danger of losing her place on radio. She's HUGE with her radio market. Look at top 40 though. Many of the artists there don't last a long time at all. Before He Cheats will NEVER happen again because of Taylor Swift. accept it and move on. Take pride in the fact that Carrie is the most powerful female country singer in YEARS. She is NEVER played on pop radio and yet she rises to the top of the charts faster than anyone. her being played on pop radio would only affect her career in the short run, not the long run. in the long run, she's here to stay. and honestly, based off the trash we saw yesterday, am I the only one who takes pride in the fact that she isn't a top 40 artist?
Becca

Ann055

@idolsnow
CARRIE UNDERWOOD's "Two Black Cadillacs" races 55-38 with a bullet on Country Airplay chart. @carrieunderwood

allamericangirl8

It's already #38 on Billboard? O_O

This'd better smash harder than BA. It's a much better song, imo. I know you guys had high expectations for BA, but I didn't, so it smashed for me. x)

Farawayhills

guys, some of yall need to accept that carrie underwood will NEVER crossover again AND THATS OK! and it's not because she isn't popular but because she does not pander. remixing doesn't only have to do with taking away country instruments. TBC and BA are pop friendly enough. pop remixing has to do with defining the song as officially pop. pop stations have no desire to play an "official" country song. why would they when other artists are willing to change FOR them. Carrie constantly makes a big statement about being country and popular music doesn't want anything to do with it.

Some of you guys also need to realize that being big on pop won't keep you around forever. establishing yourself as strong as Carrie has in one genre though? that gives you a strong loyal audience. Carrie is in no danger of losing her place on radio. She's HUGE with her radio market. Look at top 40 though. Many of the artists there don't last a long time at all. Before He Cheats will NEVER happen again because of Taylor Swift. accept it and move on. Take pride in the fact that Carrie is the most powerful female country singer in YEARS. She is NEVER played on pop radio and yet she rises to the top of the charts faster than anyone. her being played on pop radio would only affect her career in the short run, not the long run. in the long run, she's here to stay. and honestly, based off the trash we saw yesterday, am I the only one who takes pride in the fact that she isn't a top 40 artist?
Becca

No, you're not the only one. :)
If Carrie actually gave signs of wanting that, then I'd support it, because I think she deserves to have the kind of success she wants in the places she wants - but she doesn't appear to give those signs. She talks about being where her heart and home are, and when she talks about going elsewhere, she talks about going as a representative of something she believes in - not as someone who wants to be seen as a prospective insider. She's building her legacy in the way she wants - and doing a very good job of that. It's about setting your own goals and achieving your own dreams - not about copying anyone else, who might have different goals - and not just about forcing yourself to be something else just to satisfy the whims of an industry, whose focus may be on a narrower set of priorities than your own.

liz278

Becca

Thank you for this post. I remember what Randy Jackson said on the VH1 special - she will be a legend and he couldn't say that about everyone from Idol.

I also am very glad that Carrie isn't a pop singer :) That show for the most part was a mess :p

teesharky

Becca

But Carrie DOES CROSS OVER, all the time. So I am not sure why people keep saying she does not "cross over" when GG made it to Top 20 on Hot AC and so did CC. UI did well on Hot AC too.

Just because Carrie doesn't get played on Top 40 (and may never again), does not mean she did not cross over at all.

I am not sure why people discount Hot AC crossover. Carrie does well on there and does it without any remix, or any promo. lol

Any cross format Airplay is better then nothing, so I will take the Top 20 on Hot AC if that is all she can get without remixing.

Schrodinger

No, you're not the only one. :)
If Carrie actually gave signs of wanting that, then I'd support it, because I think she deserves to have the kind of success she wants in the places she wants - but she doesn't appear to give those signs. She talks about being where her heart and home are, and when she talks about going elsewhere, she talks about going as a representative of something she believes in - not as someone who wants to be seen as a prospective insider. She's building her legacy in the way she wants - and doing a very good job of that. It's about setting your own goals and achieving your own dreams - not about copying anyone else, who might have different goals - and not just about forcing yourself to be something else just to satisfy the whims of an industry, whose focus may be on a narrower set of priorities than your own.

Carrie has said over and over that life isn't about the music. She wants to do something beyond the music, something more. I think people sometimes forget that "Carrie Underwood" is not Carrie. What we think "Carrie Underwood" wants or is important, may not be what Carrie wants or even cares about. If Carrie was not who is really behind "Carrie Underwood", if all there was was Carrie Underwood I wouldn't be here. This is why I've never ever gone this far into fandom, for want of a better term. So many people are fans of an image not of a person. If I am going to take the time and energy to support and care about someone, I certainly don't want it to be an image. So I can be a fan of "Carrie Underwood", I do all the fan things, like vote, request spins, go to concerts etc, but I never let myself forget that behind that image is a real person, a person who is separate and distinct from that image. I think everyone here knows the real Carrie as much as she wants to be known. So I try to focus on what I think Carrie wants and not what I think would be best for Carrie Underwood." I hope that made sense?

teesharky

Meh. I love BA, but I stand by my opinion that it did not smash.

I think it did smash, just not on top 40. I think the reason is because the lyrics and message are very country in theme, while the Melody and production are very pop.

But that is ok. It did great on country radio and great on itunes/digital sales. It may not get much farther on Hot AC but at least it is getting some airplay.

teesharky

I am not sure how hard RCA tried, but I will say that I always thought BA had a very country sounding story/lyrics that would not fit in with Top 40-- while the melody and production is very pop friendly. So to me it was always hit or miss as a crossover song.

If you listen to what is played on Top 40-- they don't have story songs or big message songs. It is almost all beat driven nonsense. So BA is too good for Top 40. lol

gaycarebear

I think it did smash, just not on top 40. I think the reason is because the lyrics and message are very country in theme, while the Melody and production are very pop.

But that is ok. It did great on country radio and great on itunes/digital sales. It may not get much farther on Hot AC but at least it is getting some airplay.

In that case, every song Carrie has ever released has smashed...lolz.

Anyways, I'm glad we now have a TBC thread...although I'll miss BA :(

Oneal

If BA didn't smash then neither did GG and that means there have been no smashes this era. The days of having a BHC and JTTW are over. Radio won't allow a song to be at the top for more than 3 weeks imo. The last two great songs that got more than 3 weeks were NYN by Lady A and Miranda's THTBM. That's been at least a couple or 3 years ago. Plus, radio just doesn't want a woman to be bigger than the Men in Country.